Author Topic: LaBrie to Start Vocals on Monday  (Read 22563 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: LaBrie to Start Vocals on Monday
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2011, 11:26:01 AM »
I hope he brings as much artistic freedom to this next DT album as does on his solo projects.   :tup
Me too.Static impulse was WOW for me ;D

Yeah, bigtime.  One of the best heavy metal records I own.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2011, 04:34:14 PM »
[...]and then I begin recording vocals with James LaBrie for the new Dream Theater CD. Can someone tell me WHO the new drummer is?? Sheesh!! …. c ya!
Be well,
R.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2011, 04:35:52 PM »
Ooh! I had no idea Richard Chycki was involved.

He produced Elements of Persuasion, yeah? If he's in a production role, vocally, that could be stunning.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2011, 08:02:01 PM »
I hope he brings as much artistic freedom to this next DT album as does on his solo projects.   :tup

Seriously? How many do you own?

Ah forget it . . .

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2011, 08:38:28 PM »

He produced Elements of Persuasion, yeah? If he's in a production role, vocally, that could be stunning.

Oh wow, that's a great thing to hear.  I love love LOVE the vocals on EoP, and Chycki potentially recreating the magic on the new DT record has me so excited.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
Will we get a CRUCIFYYYYYYY
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Aniland

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2011, 09:00:44 PM »
I want telephone vocals, as seen on "Slightly Out of Reach" in seven words.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2011, 05:56:47 AM »

Oh wow, that's a great thing to hear.  I love love LOVE the vocals on EoP, and Chycki potentially recreating the magic on the new DT record has me so excited.
Well, he could just be mixing or engineering, so don't get too excited, but he doesn't specify his role and it'd be a very cool combination.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2011, 06:18:40 AM »
I hope he sings similar to his vocal style on Smashed and Slightly Out of Reach off EOP.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2011, 06:31:31 AM »
That would be awesome. Hope for the number of songs to be in the double digits.

I'm betting TRIPLE. You're on, pal!

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2011, 08:17:06 AM »
That would be awesome. Hope for the number of songs to be in the double digits.

I'm betting TRIPLE. You're on, pal!

I'm not your pal, person I consider my lifelong friend!

Offline Aniland

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2011, 08:20:05 AM »
You're not your friend, guy!

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2011, 08:27:03 AM »
I'm not myself, me!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2011, 08:50:11 AM »
I want telephone vocals, as seen on "Slightly Out of Reach" in seven words.

Go listen to everything Steven Wilson has produced, then.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »
1.  A song a day isn't really fast.  For bands with 3-5 minute songs, 2-3 a day is about normal.  1 DT song a day is probably about right.  

2.  Why do people think James won't be directed by the rest of the band?  Singers usually are when they are recording vocals.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2011, 08:57:47 AM »
1.  A song a day isn't really fast.  For bands with 3-5 minute songs, 2-3 a day is about normal.  1 DT song a day is probably about right. 

2.  Why do people think James won't be directed by the rest of the band?  Singers usually are when they are recording vocals.
I was under the impression that the direction came generally from the producer - hence, Mike and John for the last six albums, Prater on ACoS, etc. I imagine the most likely scenario is that it's just John Petrucci producing the vocals this time around, but it seems a little odd that Rich Chycki would be asked in just to record the vocals, so they might be getting him to help produce it.

It is, absolutely, a big leap to make, and a leap that's based on very little (if any) evidence. But what's speculation if not a trifle ridiculous?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2011, 09:02:56 AM »
I just chalk it up to the fact that most people don't really know much about the recording process.  Not a big deal, except that's annoying when people talk like they know what should or shouldn't happen when they obviously don't know what the typical practice is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2011, 11:32:21 AM »
Au contraire!  I know almost nothing about how it's actually done, but I still know how I think they should and shouldn't do things.

In other words, why should the producer be telling the singer how to sing the lines?  The composer, sure, as he had a certain thing in mind when he wrote the song, and in DT's case the writers and producers are the same anyway, but why the producer or recording engineer?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2011, 11:37:49 AM »
Au contraire!  I know almost nothing about how it's actually done, but I still know how I think they should and shouldn't do things.

In other words, why should the producer be telling the singer how to sing the lines?  The composer, sure, as he had a certain thing in mind when he wrote the song, and in DT's case the writers and producers are the same anyway, but why the producer or recording engineer?
That's the producer's job. That's what a producer does - makes creative decisions in order to make the songs as good as possible. It's the musical equivalent of the director.

That or I'm very confused...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2011, 12:00:34 PM »
The world gets stranger and stranger every day.

I guess I never really understood what the producer did.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2011, 12:04:19 PM »

Seriously? How many do you own?

Ah forget it . . .

A lot!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2011, 12:11:54 PM »

A producer in music is like a director in film.  Musicians write the parts and perform them, the producer channels what the musicians do into a coherent product.  Listen to the Awake demos.  The songs are 95% writing wise like they are on the album, but the way they're produced completely changes how they feel.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »
So the footage of Mike in the studio telling James on how to sing isn't just Mike being the control freak many accuse him of being, it's really just him wearing his producer hat and doing his job as such, right?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2011, 12:19:39 PM »
Yep! Basically.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »
Whoa.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
So the footage of Mike in the studio telling James on how to sing isn't just Mike being the control freak many accuse him of being, it's really just him wearing his producer hat and doing his job as such, right?

Well, it is probably a bit of both  :biggrin:
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »
Yep, exactly.

Obviously people who actually know and understand these things can still feel that they may not have liked Mike's approach to producing, but he was ultimately just doing his job.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2011, 01:23:23 PM »

Well, it is probably a bit of both  :biggrin:

I would think so too, and I don't have a problem with that at all.  But aside from that, just as bandmembers, I think Mike, JP, or anyone else should have complete freedom to be able to tell James how they think a line should be delivered or to try it a different way.  That's just how it works.  I remember when I recorded my first demo, our bass player (who was the most vocal person in our band) had me do a few different lines different ways than how I had originally planned.  In a couple of those situations, I hadn't even thought about trying it the way he suggested.  We tried it, kept some of his suggestions, and overruled others.  That's just the way it goes when you're recording. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2011, 01:37:44 PM »
But aside from that, just as bandmembers, I think Mike, JP, or anyone else should have complete freedom to be able to tell James how they think a line should be delivered or to try it a different way.  

I agree. But I doubt anyone, except for maybe JP, had any freedom to tell Mike how they think a drum section should be.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline robwebster

« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2011, 01:40:18 PM »
But aside from that, just as bandmembers, I think Mike, JP, or anyone else should have complete freedom to be able to tell James how they think a line should be delivered or to try it a different way.  

I agree. But I doubt anyone, except for maybe JP, had any freedom to tell Mike how they think a drum section should be.
Or, in other words, "I imagine the drums were produced exclusively by the producers." q:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »
I'm sure it depends on the band.  In bands I've been in, we all tended to work out our own parts; I wouldn't tell the drummer, guitarist, or anyone else to do something differently unless it was clearly wrong.  But then, that's learning cover songs.  It's pretty obvious when what you're playing isn't what's on the record.

When you're working up your own material, there's probably more give and take, and people can suggest different ways of playing/singing something.  The only "right" way is what sounds best by consensus or vote, so it really is a matter of others merely suggesting things that might sound better.  I hadn't really thought of that before, but it still seems like there's more footage of Mike telling others what to do than anyone else.  Part of that is probably because he and JP were the producers and were doing that anyway, and the rest is probably because Mike also edited the footage, therefore we saw more of him than anything else.

I don't want to turn this into Mike-bashing, in fact I was kinda trying to steer it the other way.  I've never been in a band that did much original material, and sure as hell have never been in a recording studio.  Something tells me I'd be in for a hell of a shock the first time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »
I've mostly only done covers as well.  And I guess in that situation, a singer is more likely to get asked to try things differently than the other musicians since a singer isn't going to have the same vocal qualities necessarily as the singer you are covering.

And, yeah, there is more footage of Mike doing that than anyone else.  But because Mike is who he is, (1) he probably "directs" more than anyone else, and (2) since he usually has the final say in what gets released, notice that there's usually more footage of him in general than there is of anyone else.  :lol

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »
Hey Everyone.
Finished 3 tracks last week and movin on to the next tomorrow.
Thanks for keeping it positive...for the most part ;-))))

So far we have 4 tracks (3 last week, and at least one tomorrow).

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2011, 06:26:04 PM »
;-))))
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »
Hey Everyone.
Finished 3 tracks last week and movin on to the next tomorrow.
Thanks for keeping it positive...for the most part ;-))))

So far we have 4 tracks (3 last week, and at least one tomorrow).
That facebook status is gone now for whatever reason.

I blame you, Jamesman.