Author Topic: LaBrie to Start Vocals on Monday  (Read 22566 times)

Offline darkshot

Re: LaBrie to Start Vocals on Monday
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »
Maybe it was an instrumental  :lol

Offline weddingnails

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 01:55:42 PM »
yesterday was mike manginis birthday
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »
It says a lot, to me, about how well he's singing if he can track a song in literally one day. Either that, or that song doesn't have very much in the way of vocals.

Probably helps not having someone in the studio telling him how to sing :D
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 02:05:39 PM »
It says a lot, to me, about how well he's singing if he can track a song in literally one day. Either that, or that song doesn't have very much in the way of vocals.

Gotta be the former. What DT songs don't have very many vocals, other than the instrumentals? Seems like anything that has JLB in it features him quite prominently. Of course, who knows what the hell the new band dynamic will produce...
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »
He's very possibly in one hell of a groove.

Offline darkshot

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2011, 02:33:34 PM »
He's very possibly in one hell of a groove.

From the tweets I've red, the whole band seems to be in a hell of a groove, maybe they are inspired by having a new drummer and a different band dynamic.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2011, 04:45:58 PM »
They have to be. And honestly, I think finishing the vocals for a song in a day... come on, that sounds super easy if you can sing and the song is already written out and etc. How many minutes total do you think he sang for? A handful of minutes for an entire day's work sounds about right.

When he says that it oozes with emotion, it makes me wonder and idealize. I'm thinking of something like the Peaceful Sedation segment or Regression type of singing.

Offline darkshot

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2011, 04:56:09 PM »
Perhaps we will be seeing a lot of shorter tracks on this album? I think when he says he completed one track in only a day, a lot of us were imagining him recording a 10 minute song's worth of vocals in one day, but maybe they started with a shorter song?  Makes me think of the many short tracks on Porcupine Tree's newest album... maybe they went that route this time, instead of the 6 long songs from BCSL.

/rampant speculation

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2011, 05:07:17 PM »
That would be awesome. Hope for the number of songs to be in the double digits.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2011, 05:14:14 PM »
That would be terrible... Long songs are better.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2011, 05:27:06 PM »
Perhaps we will be seeing a lot of shorter tracks on this album? I think when he says he completed one track in only a day, a lot of us were imagining him recording a 10 minute song's worth of vocals in one day, but maybe they started with a shorter song?  Makes me think of the many short tracks on Porcupine Tree's newest album... maybe they went that route this time, instead of the 6 long songs from BCSL.

/rampant speculation
That'd be cool. I would like that actually
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »

Eh.

So are you a Florida cracker (asking because of your username)?

Offline darkshot

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »
Short songs can be good as well, as long as there are a couple of nice long ones thrown in the mix.  I think SFAM had the biggest track count of DT albums, at 12 songs, and some of them like Regression, Through My Words, and One Last Time are pretty short but still quality tunes.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 06:14:14 PM »

Nah.

Offline GandL

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 06:22:21 PM »
At least a couple of long ones, so they can explore, and I can enjoy.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 06:37:01 PM »
Well JR just posted a pic on Facebook about what he did today, and from the look, he is far from a studio LOL.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »
Well JR just posted a pic on Facebook about what he did today, and from the look, he is far from a studio LOL.
Exactly what I was thinking  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Aniland

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »
I guess mixing/mastering will be beginning by the start of May then. :)

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »

Nah.

If you consider long to be 15 mins +... I consider long to be around the 8 minute mark (compared to almost all mainstream songs). So yes an 8 min song, which might be normal to you, would be good. While if the songs are something like 4 mins then that would be not so good.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2011, 07:32:14 PM »
That would be awesome. I want 15 songs, all 4:00 to 5:00 each.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »
As always, each song should be as long as necessary to convey its message.  I kinda like a mix of shorter and medium tunes and one or two "epics".

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2011, 08:27:04 PM »
Would be cool if the longest song is 15 max. That way they have time to play the other epics more.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2011, 08:38:44 PM »

Two things:

- Professional vocalists can move very quickly if they're in the right mindset and the session is well run.  The whole point of being a professional is to delivery professional quality performances on command.  So the idea of LaBrie doing a song in one day is zero percent surprising.

- What I do find interesting is that the pace of DT's vocal recording in the past seems to have run very slowly.  It's possible, though we can't know at the moment, that JP's running a looser vocal session this time around, accounting for the quicker pace.  This wouldn't bother me at all because I think JLB performs better that way.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2011, 09:12:40 PM »
I also think "dripping with emotion" means that it isn't so much about perfecting the vocals on the song as it is just letting it come to him...which would take less time in the right mindset/environment (as Reapsta said).

Offline Aniland

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2011, 09:33:12 PM »
- What I do find interesting is that the pace of DT's vocal recording in the past seems to have run very slowly.  It's possible, though we can't know at the moment, that JP's running a looser vocal session this time around, accounting for the quicker pace.  This wouldn't bother me at all because I think JLB performs better that way.

Without Portnoy there to direct him, I'd imagine he is doing what he wants more than anything else.

Offline Frosthawk

• Striving for futility
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2011, 09:48:01 PM »
Hearing that a new song is oozing with emotion really brightened my day; more than it should have, in fact. I need some betters days.

I bet 'Raaaaawk" is the new album title.

Man I hope so.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2011, 02:16:51 AM »
There's bound to be 10+ minute songs, its just a Dream Theater thing to have them. If they bring out a new album and all the songs are less than 10 minutes, then everyone will be bitching how they lost their prog when Mike left, Mike brought the prog to the band, they're not the same anymore bla bla bla...

I think the albums going to be more like FII in terms of song lengths. I'm sure it wont be like BC&SL with long songs but small number of them. I think its going to be pretty mixed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2011, 08:03:29 AM »
Good point.  They need to show the world how things haven't really changed all that much, but at the same time there will be things that are different.  I'm sure they'd love to just tell the world to fuck off, but as much as every artist wants to do that, they're also well aware that this next release is critical for establishing the current and future direction of the band.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2011, 08:08:20 AM »

Without Portnoy there to direct him, I'd imagine he is doing what he wants more than anything else.

I didn't post that because it's not necessarily true.  On the Chaos in Motion DVD, JP was right there with MP in terms of vocal directing.  Maybe he's changed things now that he runs the show, but that's speculation.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2011, 08:09:23 AM »
Good point.  They need to show the world how things haven't really changed all that much, but at the same time there will be things that are different.  I'm sure they'd love to just tell the world to fuck off, but as much as every artist wants to do that, they're also well aware that this next release is critical for establishing the current and future direction of the band.

Yeah, the band itself isn't going to be unrecognizable or anything, but there's bound to be a few changes.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »
Can't wait!James will kick asses with this album performance ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
I hope he brings as much artistic freedom to this next DT album as does on his solo projects.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2011, 10:34:57 AM »
I hope he brings as much artistic freedom to this next DT album as does on his solo projects.   :tup
Me too.Static impulse was WOW for me ;D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Aniland

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2011, 10:36:30 AM »
Remember though, guys, even though the James LaBrie album was credited under his name, it was a writing effort of every musician there.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2011, 11:11:24 AM »
Remember though, guys, even though the James LaBrie album was credited under his name, it was a writing effort of every musician there.

Good point. Yet, it shows what he is capable of when given free rein with his vocals. That's what I hope for the next DT album.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael