Author Topic: "Birther" bill passes in Arizona legislature  (Read 20650 times)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: "Birther" bill passes in Arizona legislature
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Quote from: U.S. Constitution, Article IV, Section 1
Such Acts, records and judicial proceedings or copies thereof, so authenticated, shall have the same full faith and credit in every court within the United States and its Territories and Possessions as they have by law or usage in the courts of such State, Territory or Possession from which they are taken.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 09:25:33 AM »
Does this apply here though? I mean, clearly not all state laws apply across the nation.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 09:45:14 AM »
Does this apply here though? I mean, clearly not all state laws apply across the nation.

rumborak

It's not about all states having the same laws.  It's saying that one state must recognize judgments and official records of another state.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2011, 10:16:21 AM »
Hm. By that argument though States should be recognizing marriages of all other states, which is not something they currently do, I think

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2011, 03:41:46 PM »
Yeah, I never completely understood that tbh. Married gay couples need to file separately federally for example.

rumborak

Offline PraXis

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2011, 08:16:26 PM »
When I first heard about the "birther" thing, I thought to myself, "ugh, what the hell is this stupid shit!?"

But........ Soetoro has spent millions preventing the release of any of his personal records... his SS# traces to one in CT.

IMO, the Clintons would have taken advantage of it if there was a true issue with his birth certificate.... so why not just release the long-form B.C. and make all the birthers look dumb?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2011, 09:22:34 PM »
IMO, the Clintons would have taken advantage of it if there was a true issue with his birth certificate.... so why not just release the long-form B.C. and make all the birthers look dumb?

In 2008, the Obama campaign released his birth certificate, certified by the Hawaii Department of Health, and posted a scanned image of it online. The posted certificate states that Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, on August 4, 1961.[1] The certificate also states, "This copy serves as prima facie evidence of the fact of birth in any court proceeding". Frequent arguments of those questioning Obama's eligibility are that he has not released a photocopy of his "original" or "long form" birth certificate, but rather a redacted "short form" version. It has also been claimed that the use of the term "certification of live birth" on the document means it is not equivalent to one's "birth certificate". These arguments have been debunked numerous times by media investigations,[13] every judicial forum that has addressed the matter, and Hawaiian government officials—a consensus of whom have concluded that the certificate released by the Obama campaign is indeed his official birth certificate.[14] Asked about this, Hawaiian Department of Health spokeswoman Janice Okubo stated that Hawaii "does not have a short-form or long-form certificate".[15] Moreover, the director of her Department has confirmed that the state "has Sen. Obama’s original birth certificate on record in accordance with state policies and procedures".[16][17]
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »
So, double-dumb. Hawaii doesn't even have a long form :lol

rumborak

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2011, 10:44:25 PM »
Hm. By that argument though States should be recognizing marriages of all other states, which is not something they currently do, I think

That's one of the few instances NOT covered by Full Faith and Credit (not sure why but gay marriage gets an exception), but I believe in this case it will apply. Which means either all other states go with Arizona, or none of them do. Perhaps we can expect a Senate vote?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 10:10:39 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but how is a full-faith-and-credit judgment then not the same as a federal judgment, if everybody has to respect it?

rumborak

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2011, 06:27:26 PM »
It would be federal because it's in Article VI of the Constitution. However, the Supreme Court declared that there's a difference between credit owed to laws and credit owed to judgments. Seems to me like it's only used whenever it's beneficial, in which case the silly legislation of 1 of 50 states doesn't qualify for a credited law.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2011, 07:28:09 PM »
Jesus!! What a waste of time. Guess the legislators in Az. had nothing better to do like focus on crime, or unemployment, or the states deficit. I'm sick of all of this bullshit. I didn't vote for Obama, and quite frankly don't think he's a very good president, but holy hell! Get a clue! All of this birther bullshit is really, really old. Get a bunch of uneducated asshats together, and stir the pot with some jailhouse lawyer rhetoric, and we have this shit ....still.

Fact is....I don't know if Obama was born in Hawaii or not. All I know is that his MOTHER was a natural born U.S. citizen, who had maintained all of her residency requirements in the years preceding his birth, so he could have been squirted out at a monastery on some far off peak in fucking Tibet, and he would have been a NATURAL BORN U.S. citizen.

My little brother was born in a hospital in Germany for example. Not an American military hospital. But a German hospital in Berlin. Six weeks later he was back in the states with my mom. Because at least ONE of my parents was a U.S. citizen, so is he.

It only slightly amazes me still at the level of stupidity of the sheep mentality in the world today.

Just give this birther shit a rest already!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 08:33:44 AM »
Well, the bill was vetoed by the governor so everybody can just move on to their next OBAMAnation.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 10:51:46 AM »
Yeah, I heard about that this morning.  Thank God someone in that state has some sense.

What I didn't hear was whether or not she blasted the state legislature to holy hell for wasting their time and the taxpayer's money on this bill, which they fully deserved.

I actually saw a comment on this just this morning by yet another "Birther" moron, saying that if Obama would just show someone his birth certificate, there wouldn't be any problem and no one would have to go through this.  Fucking idiots.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »
My favorites are the people who can't relate "birth certificate" to "Certificate of live birth." 

HUZZAH FOR THE AMERICAN EDUCATION SYSTEM!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 12:26:22 PM »
People will try to dig up whatever dirt they can to make someone look bad or worse than they already do.  At this point, Obama has done such a terrible job that the birther issue seems pretty much irrelevant anyway.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »
People will try to dig up whatever dirt they can to make someone look bad or worse than they already do.  At this point, Obama has done such a terrible job that the birther issue seems pretty much irrelevant anyway.

Seriously.  He acts so suspicious.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2011, 09:40:31 PM »

And this nonsense is also why he'll win again. Because instead of actually doing something, the Republicans have been acting like babies. In 2012, when Newt, Huckabee, Palin, Pawlenty, and Romney cannibalize themselves to decide who gets to take on Obama, it'll be pretty damn obvious to everyone why he won in the first place.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2011, 09:42:30 PM »
Yeah, I heard about that this morning.  Thank God someone in that state has some sense.

I wouldn't go that far. Brewer is an evil, evil person who just happens to occasionally make smart decisions every once in awhile.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2011, 10:32:43 PM »

And this nonsense is also why he'll win again. Because instead of actually doing something, the Republicans have been acting like babies. In 2012, when Newt, Huckabee, Palin, Pawlenty, and Romney cannibalize themselves to decide who gets to take on Obama, it'll be pretty damn obvious to everyone why he won in the first place.

Yep. Listen, Obama's not perfect, and I'll never say he is. But compared to how the GOP, collectively, has been acting over the past few years; stonewalling the last month of Lame Duck so they can get what they want passed, and absolutely refusing to compromise over anything, despite repeated attempts, have soured the face of the party for me, and I suspect for others.

I do not predict that Obama will have an easy win. He's been villified (unfairly, I'd say, for the most part) by the ultra-conservatives and a surprising number of people believe a lot of the bullshit that talking heads like Glenn Beck say. Obama is still better than anyone else who has a chance, and I will vote for him again

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2011, 11:00:18 PM »
Yeah, I heard about that this morning.  Thank God someone in that state has some sense.

I wouldn't go that far. Brewer is an evil, evil person who just happens to occasionally make smart decisions every once in awhile.

Bummer.  I didn't realize that.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2011, 08:23:38 AM »
The explanation that I saw was that she was a former Secretary of State.  She naturally feels that's where the power and responsibility in dealing with elections should rest. 

Of course we saw how that works out in 2000.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2011, 09:06:02 AM »
what does everyone think about this?

https://drudgereport.com/flash7.htm
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2011, 09:37:04 AM »
I'll read it right after I finish my manuscript The Sky is Red, Up is Down, Dogs are Cats, and 27 other things you thought you knew.  Maybe if Drudge endorses it I can finally start hobnobbing in the same circles as Tempus. 
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »
I think it's disturbing what kinds of people gets PhDs from Harvard!
(that said, I kinda knew that already; dated a now-PhD at Harvard a few years back. Total basket case)

rumborak

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2011, 09:41:24 AM »
I'll read it right after I finish my manuscript The Sky is Red, Up is Down, Dogs are Cats, and 27 other things you thought you knew.  Maybe if Drudge endorses it I can finally start hobnobbing in the same circles as Tempus.  

EB,
Can I get an early copy of your manuscript?? it sounds good!!!!!! :tup
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline PraXis

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
I think it's disturbing what kinds of people gets PhDs from Harvard!
(that said, I kinda knew that already; dated a now-PhD at Harvard a few years back. Total basket case)

rumborak

Most Ivy leaguers are like that... esp in economics.. they get so tied up in theory they just end up working as theoreticians and never get a real job or run an actual business.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2011, 11:50:18 AM »
Eh. That statement is just part of your conspiracy theory against contemporary economics. Run-of-the-mill Libertarian mantra, discredit anything that isn't "Austrian school".

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2011, 01:03:10 AM »
what does everyone think about this?

https://drudgereport.com/flash7.htm

STOP THE PRESSES! I've found it.

Also, if Bill-0 doesn't believe Epic View, why should you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAWNovXyCE&feature=player_embedded

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2011, 07:33:47 AM »
"Will the book finally -- once and for all -- put an end to the growing controversy?"

No.

"Or will it just ignite new ones!?"

No.  The same ones will simply continue.  If the birthers don't believe it now, after the State of Hawaii has declared its authenticity, and the archives of two different newspapers show a birth announcement back in 1961, then some idiot writing a book isn't going to change anything.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2011, 08:06:56 AM »
Are you calling Fox News liars :eek

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2011, 08:25:38 AM »
Im very interested in Corsi's book...

something just aint right in Dodge.. I want Obama to release it, he is paying 2m to have in not released.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2011, 10:08:06 AM »
oh jeez... :facepalm:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2011, 10:26:53 AM »
oh jeez... :facepalm:

why is he spending 2m to not have it released? and its not an outragoous request, Corsi is not a stupid man.