Poll

During which period did DT release their last true "Masterpiece" ?  

6DOIT and before
84 (51.5%)
TOT and afterward
79 (48.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Author Topic: Poll: When Was DT's Last True "Masterpiece" ?  (Read 8899 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Poll: When Was DT's Last True "Masterpiece" ?
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »
If I use the definition of "There can be only one Masterpiece", then it's option 1 because that would be I&W.

If I use the definition "I thouroughly enjoy every song or every song except one", it's still option 1 because 6DoIT was the last album I can say that about, although BC&SL is surprisingly close.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2011, 03:06:54 PM »
Six Degrees was their last musically creative one. The newer ones aren't even really close.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2011, 03:51:16 PM »
The band's last masterpiece was Six Degrees but Octavarium was also a great album, so I don't feel the band is hopelessly beyond their golden age or anything.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2011, 03:54:34 PM »
The band's last masterpiece was Six Degrees but Octavarium was also a great album, so I don't feel the band is hopelessly beyond their golden age or anything.

they're not.

i seriously think they have one or two masterpieces left in them.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »
I don't think they're washed up.  Far from it.

Rush's two best albums (IMO) came out in 1980 and 1981.  Hasn't stopped them from making many more albums I thoroughly enjoy.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jsem

« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2011, 09:53:03 AM »
I don't think they're washed up.  Far from it.

Rush's two best albums (IMO) came out in 1977 and 1978.  Hasn't stopped them from making many more albums I thoroughly enjoy.
FTFM

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2011, 10:27:27 AM »
Octavarium and Black Clouds both were classic albums.

8VM had its epic concept and BL had the best music I've heard from DT since Awake.

FTFY
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2011, 01:05:11 PM »
Always jumping to conclusions, I mistakenly voted after  (I thought song, not album).  DT only has two albums I'd consider masterpieces, and they were both before 6D.  Masterpiece songs are fairly evenly distributed. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2011, 04:33:55 PM »
BC&SL happens to be my third favorite album by them so I'll go ahead with the 2nd option.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2011, 06:07:08 PM »
 When I think of what constitutes a "masterpiece", there is generally one album by a particular band that stands out above the rest.  For Dream Theater, that was Images and Words as far as I'm concerned.  Each and every second of that album is pure brilliance without a single dull moment.  Hell, even the leftovers from I&W like Don't Look Past Me and To Live Forever are amazing songs.  There is just something special about that album, something about the band being young enough to still have something to prove yet old enough to have just enough maturity to their songwriting, that makes it one of those once in a career works of art.  In my mind, they will never top it, no matter how hard they try.

With that said, however, Dream Theater is one of very, very few bands for whom I can say that I often listen to each and every song they have ever written and enjoy it all.  As far as I am concerned, DT has no bad albums.  They have never had a point in their career where I felt they lost their way musically. I have always felt comfortable simply buying a DT album blindly upon release because I trust the band and their quality of music, and I am always ready for them to take me on a brand new musical journey, where ever that may lead.  That is not to say that I love all their albums equally, but when you're talking entire albums, even DT at their weakest is better then most bands at their strongest.

It seems to me that the qualification for a "Masterpiece" in this poll is something like "the last Dream Theater album you absolutely loved from top to bottom".  If that is the case, then I am voting for the second option.  Over all, I feel the band was just as strong in the last decade as they were in the 90's, and even with the new drummer, I don't feel the need to hear samples of their next record before the release.  If it has the Dream Theater name on it, I will buy it, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will thoroughly enjoy it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2011, 06:30:37 PM »
Nothing is really wrong with ToT except for the fact that it is an incredibly exhausting listen.  But As I Am, Endless Sacrifice, and Honor Thy Father are easily top 20 songs.  So it's around the 5th/6th area for me.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2011, 03:53:26 AM »
Nothing is really wrong with ToT except for the fact that it is an incredibly exhausting listen.  But As I Am, Endless Sacrifice, and Honor Thy Father are easily top 20 songs.  So it's around the 5th/6th area for me.
Wrong thread?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2011, 08:43:45 AM »
If masterpiece is just one album, it's Awake.ToT are much lower than Awake
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...