Poll

During which period did DT release their last true "Masterpiece" ?  

6DOIT and before
84 (51.5%)
TOT and afterward
79 (48.5%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Author Topic: Poll: When Was DT's Last True "Masterpiece" ?  (Read 8898 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Poll: When Was DT's Last True "Masterpiece" ?
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 01:27:27 AM »
Ah. I get ya. Read it in a different tone. Either way that's why I love the album, it goes from the key of F up the scale back to F. That in itself is badass
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 01:31:24 AM »
There are only two Dream Theater albums that I'd call masterpieces: Scenes from a memory and Images & Words. An album has to be absolutely mindblowing from start to finish without a single slightly weaker song to be a masterpiece, so obviously Awake, Systematic chaos and Six degrees can't be masterpieces in my opinion, even though they're still incredible albums.

Offline jsem

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 01:35:31 AM »
Ah. I get ya. Read it in a different tone. Either way that's why I love the album, it goes from the key of F up the scale back to F. That in itself is badass
+ who are you calling willis? wut is that all abt  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 01:55:17 AM »
Sorry man, a bit tipsy. Its just epic as fuck, with the concept and all that fun.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline j

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 01:59:45 AM »
+ who are you calling willis? wut is that all abt  :lol

If you're being serious, Gary Coleman's catch phrase on Different Strokes?

If not, :neverusethis:.

-J

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 02:41:44 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 02:57:27 AM »
Hell... I don't even know what a "masterpiece" is, so I'll just say that their last 4.5 (out of five) was 6DOIT and before.
If we're talking 4.5 star albums then I'm in the option 2 camp, because of BC&SL, DT's third best album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 02:57:56 AM »
Train of Thought was their last in my opinion.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 03:15:03 AM »
It does seem a  bit churlish, because every album DT have made has been brilliant and head and shoulders above most other rock music out there today, but if I'm being ultra-critical, SFAM was their last true masterpiece.

Yes, 6DOIT is great, 8VM is close, and every album since has had something about it, but...
...there does seem to be something missing these days that the earlier albums had.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2011, 04:13:27 AM »
So after 43 replies, it's 28 vs 27 in favor of option 1.  Neck and neck, essentially.  This makes me wonder if such sentiment is new -- since both TOT and SC seemed quite reviled when they came out, at least by one heavily vocal segment of DT fans.  While I didn't agree with the dislike those albums got, it certainly seemed like SDN had it right at least for a few years there.  So have the post-Six Degrees albums actually been better-loved the whole time?  Or is it a case of aging well?  I know in at least some cases hearing the TOT songs live in person and on LaB made people feel differently about them.  What do you guys think?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2011, 05:05:12 AM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2011, 05:16:03 AM »
Sorry, but calling 9/10 DT albums masterpieces is just robbing the word of any discernible meaning.

-J

Sorry, but no.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 05:17:16 AM »
I think DT has made three masterpieces so far when it comes to albums (Images & Words, SFAM, Six Degrees) and the rest is ranging from bloody great to really good.

So my answer is "6DOIT and before".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2011, 06:24:14 AM »
I consider 8VM the last masterpiece (seriously, it is a true work of art with its themes and music).

you know what the strange thing is? while i intensley dislike 8v on a personal opinion level, i sort of agree with you. maybe i just haven't understood the "logic" behind the album yet.

jamesman <3. only you could make me admire an album i don't like.

That's because I make you take it like the whore that you are.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »
If Masterpiece is reserved only for their best, then Train Of Thought. Images And Words, Six Degrees and Train Of Thought are their greatest albums so they would be the masterpieces. However I do kind of agree that nearly all the DT albums could be called masterpieces, and Black Clouds and Silver Linings is certainly in their top half.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2011, 06:41:53 AM »
So after 43 replies, it's 28 vs 27 in favor of option 1.  Neck and neck, essentially.  This makes me wonder if such sentiment is new -- since both TOT and SC seemed quite reviled when they came out, at least by one heavily vocal segment of DT fans.  While I didn't agree with the dislike those albums got, it certainly seemed like SDN had it right at least for a few years there.  So have the post-Six Degrees albums actually been better-loved the whole time?  Or is it a case of aging well?  I know in at least some cases hearing the TOT songs live in person and on LaB made people feel differently about them.  What do you guys think?
I think it's more that people seem to take the opinions of a vocal minority as the "general consensus".

I be am boner inducing.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2011, 07:19:35 AM »
New fans are clearly swaying this poll.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »
If a person says that SC blows, that statement usually comes with three paragraphs of hate. If a person says SC rules, that statement usually comes with about three sentences of praise.

What are people more likely to remember? I think it's human nature to only remember the controversial, negative stuff and forget the predictable, positive stuff. That's probably why dislike for new DT seems to be a general consensus, when really, it's not the case.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2011, 07:31:03 AM »
DT's masterpieces are I&W, Awake, Metropolis pt.2 and 6DOIT IMO
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2011, 07:49:56 AM »
I consider ToT at the least a masterpiece, although Octavarium perhaps also, but there's more I don't like as much on that one.

Having said that, I accidentally voted for the first option. What a dumbass.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2011, 07:52:03 AM »
If a person says that SC blows, that statement usually comes with three paragraphs of hate. If a person says SC rules, that statement usually comes with about three sentences of praise.

What are people more likely to remember? I think it's human nature to only remember the controversial, negative stuff and forget the predictable, positive stuff. That's probably why dislike for new DT seems to be a general consensus, when really, it's not the case.

Couldn't agree more. This is a board of bigtime DT fans, after all. Most of us love 90% or so of the band's work (most people dislike You Not Me, Burning My Soul, and a couple of other songs, and find WDADU's production to ruin it) but like everything else in varying degrees. Sure, you've got the fans who like the proggier stuff (90s) vs. the metal fans who like ToT/SC, but most fans like the whole package, IMO, maybe with a slight tilt toward one side of the other. Not that I have any right to speak for the majority of the fanbase, but seriously, would you be on this forum and posting regularly if you DIDN'T like most DT stuff?

Besides, people with negative opinions kind of, well, HAVE to explain them to stand out from the crowd of people who like 90% of the songs. Sure, not everything such a versatile band does is going to please all the people all the time--it sure doesn't always please me. But still, DT albums are always such a cut above just about everything out there that I have to call them all "masterpieces" except for WDADU and FII. The non-title track parts of Octavarium aren't great either, but whatever. I do see minor issues with everything else, a track here or there, but DT albums keep me going so much longer than those of any other artist.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2011, 07:54:55 AM »
I think SC blows.
And I don't even need one paragraph.
It actually got 2 or 3 complete spins from me.
A big pile of vomitted wankery.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2011, 08:11:27 AM »
I enjoy DT's heavier side, like "Train Of Thought" and "Black Clouds & Silver Linings".

I also like the earlier albums, like "Images And Words".

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2011, 08:13:55 AM »
I like TOT, 8V and BC&SL, but I wouldn't call them masterpieces (SC is just average). I agree with many people that 6DOIT was their last album that could be called a masterpiece.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2011, 08:39:42 AM »
As are old fans.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »
i think the fact that the definition of the term "masterpiece" is open to interpretation  makes the results of this thread alot more difficult to analyze.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2011, 08:53:52 AM »
Technically speaking, an artist can only have one masterpiece.  I mean, if something isn't their best, then it isn't their masterpiece.

And for DT, that was Awake.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »
hm, not sure about that one.

take beethoven. his 5th symphony is widely regarded as a masterpiece, as is his 9th. i think you're referring to the term "magnus opus."

edit - the dictionary definition is somewhat conflicting as well.

mas·ter·piece  (mstr-ps)
n.
1. An outstanding work of art or craft.
2. The greatest work, as of an artist. Also called masterwork.
3. Something superlative of its kind: a masterpiece of political ingenuity.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:08:25 AM by ricky »
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2011, 09:11:28 AM »
As are old fans.
As are middle-aged fans.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2011, 09:17:48 AM »
And ceiling fans.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Rambeaux

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »
I'm split. As far as SONGs go, I think they've written a few masterpieces post-six-degrees. Octavarium, for one, is an amazing song and every bit deserving of the title "masterpiece".

However, in terms of albums, SDOIT was the last truly cohesive album that had everything a fan could want. Every album past that had weaknesses in either song variety, song quality, or lyrical quality. There have only been a few truly cohesive DT albums, and all of them seem to be sDOIT or before.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »
I think SDOIT was their last masterpiece.  Heck, I think it was their last good album.  I only listen to a few songs from all the albums after that one, and didn't like anything on the last album.

Offline j

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »
Technically speaking, an artist can only have one masterpiece.  I mean, if something isn't their best, then it isn't their masterpiece.

And for DT, that was Awake.

I dunno, I think you're defining "magnum opus".  Although I agree with your sentiment; it sounds like a lot of people are being VERY generous with the term "masterpiece".  I would think a masterpiece album would at the very least be required to not contain a single weak track, which certainly doesn't apply to anything past SDOIT.

Another problem could be that people love a lot of DT's music from all eras (as do I), but have a certain "camp" that they identify with, in terms of generally preferring older or newer DT.  So their vote may be affected by their desire to stick to their chosen side, even if adhering to the exact wording of the poll might warrant a choice that appears contrary to their usual opinions.

But like ricky said, the biggest thing is that people's different standards for "masterpieces" are muddling the poll.

-J

Offline Summers

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »
Octavarium (the song) was their last "masterpiece" in my opinion.  I love SC and BC&SL but none of the songs are up there to be honest, for me anyways.
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »
ToT and after......I think the entire Octavarium record is a masterpiece