Author Topic: Tubular Bells  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Tubular Bells
« on: April 14, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »
Just listened to it for the second time. Didn't like it too much on first listen, but it picked up a lot this time, really enjoyed it. First track is a lot better than the second, but it was still very good the whole way through.

I never see this album get mentioned, but considering how well-known it is, I'm sure there are some other folks here who dig it?

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Re: Tubular Bells
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
I love Mike Oldfield albums. But I'm more into his later albums, Tubular Bells III are pure genius. But Tubular Bells I are solid classic. Great composition, I have the main theme as a ring in my cellar. I don't really like the sound of his first releases, but it was in the 70's so what we can expext... On that time, that was big boom from him... :hefdaddy

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 02:02:55 PM »
Lol, by coincidence listened to this today. I'm guessing it was pretty new at the time?

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 02:08:41 PM »
Lol, by coincidence listened to this today. I'm guessing it was pretty new at the time?
Yeah, you're right. Main theme from Tubular Bells I was even used in Exorcist the movie. His music contains all in one, there wes everything, some guitar sound, some heavier guitars, somy synths, some atmospheric stuff... Many people used to compare Jean Micheal Jarre to Mike Oldfield, I think that they're wrong. Mike is very different artist...

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »
I was thinking about this album today. It's okay, I guess, but to me it severely pales in comparison to Amarok and Ommadawn.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »
I have a ton on album but never got any CD's by Mike Oldfield.  I should fix that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »
Yeah, you're right. Main theme from Tubular Bells I was even used in Exorcist the movie. His music contains all in one, there wes everything, some guitar sound, some heavier guitars, somy synths, some atmospheric stuff... Many people used to compare Jean Micheal Jarre to Mike Oldfield, I think that they're wrong. Mike is very different artist...

I see very little similarity to Jean Michel Jarre and Mike Oldfield.  I would compare Giorgio Moroder to Jean Michel Jarre before Oldfield.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »
I pull this one out a few times a year.

Sometimes I'll listen to the original and others I'll put on the reworked version that came out in 2003.

Not sure which of those I prefer which I guess is why I still listen to both.

Those two are the only Oldfield I own. I never bothered to go any further for whatever reason.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 04:01:40 PM »
I can appreciate it, but I'm not really a huge fan personally.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 11:57:01 PM »
I love it. Wasn't he 15 when he did that album or something?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 12:29:30 AM »
I was thinking about this album today. It's okay, I guess, but to me it severely pales in comparison to Amarok and Ommadawn.
I've seen people say that the album directly after TB - Hergest Ridge or something? - is actually a better album.

I got a similar vibe from this album as I did from Camel's The Snow Goose, actually.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 12:41:55 AM »
I don't really like Hergest Ridge, hasn't got that magic that TB does... but surely it's a good album also ;)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 11:12:24 AM »
I've seen people say that the album directly after TB - Hergest Ridge or something? - is actually a better album.

I got a similar vibe from this album as I did from Camel's The Snow Goose, actually.
Hergest Ridge is pretty good.

And nice to see a Camel fan. :tup

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 04:11:51 AM »
I can't say I'm a fan of The Snow Goose, though what I've heard of Camel before and after that album (Freefall, Lady Fantasy, and Lunar Sea) sounds a lot more promising. But there was something about the tone of Tubular Bells that reminded me of that album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 11:22:08 AM »
Another Camel fan here. Pressure Points is a great live album.

The only MO album I have is Guitars. I seem to remember thinking it was ok but I've not played it in years. Will have to dig it out.