Author Topic: Tremonti Thread v. A DYING MACHINE  (Read 71274 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Tremonti Thread v. A DYING MACHINE - JUNE 5th
« Reply #420 on: June 04, 2018, 08:11:24 PM »
Ah goddammit! You're right. I don't where I got June 5th from...maybe when the album released date was first announced? Ok, few more days...

The thread title has June 5th  :lol

Which he made.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

Re: Tremonti Thread v. A DYING MACHINE
« Reply #421 on: June 04, 2018, 10:11:30 PM »
On a lighter note, here's Mark in a Loudwire video playing Metallica's Welcome Home (Sanitarium).  On a Hello Kitty guitar.  The idea sounds absurd and it is, but he just nails it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ7xKMw8Xjw

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #422 on: June 05, 2018, 08:48:27 AM »
Ah goddammit! You're right. I don't where I got June 5th from...maybe when the album released date was first announced? Ok, few more days...

The thread title has June 5th  :lol

Which he made.

:lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #423 on: June 05, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #424 on: June 07, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »
Hey guys...TOMORROW :metal :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #425 on: June 07, 2018, 11:29:36 PM »
Finished listening to the album on Spotify.  Mark Tremonti is the greatest.  That is all.

This is the 7th full-length album that he was a main songwriter for in the 10s and it is still as strong as all of those albums he has done in the time period. The songwriting is a little more varied and I don't think it's as plugin chugging metal riffs and big anthem choruses (rinse and repeat x 10) that I feared he may have gone and I don't really think there was a song that makes me think, "Oh, this could have been a carbon copy of an AB or a Creed song."  which is actually a good sign.

Anyway, favorites for now. Trust, Traipse, The First The Last, Take You With Me, and Desolation.

Fudge, man.  Both Mark and Myles knocked it out of the park with their solo albums this year.  I sure hope they can follow that up strongly with AB VI next year.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #426 on: June 08, 2018, 03:32:24 AM »
Just bought it this morning and am half way through the first listen. So far so good!

Trust has jumped out immediately to me as a really cool song.

I'm not sure what the overarching story is all about, but I'm sure I'll absorb it over time.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #427 on: June 08, 2018, 06:56:54 AM »
First listen through the album starting now...

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #428 on: June 08, 2018, 07:19:51 AM »
Listening now and liking what I'm hearing. My only beef with Mark's vocals is that he doesn't have a ton of range so his vocals get a little repetitive over a whole album. I do like his voice though.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #429 on: June 08, 2018, 07:38:27 AM »
Listening now and liking what I'm hearing. My only beef with Mark's vocals is that he doesn't have a ton of range so his vocals get a little repetitive over a whole album. I do like his voice though.

His singing is way better on this one than on his previous efforts. Actually, as a whole, I think this might be the best Tremonti album. Very dynamic both musically and vocally.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #430 on: June 08, 2018, 08:01:36 AM »
Just finished my first listen through the record - pretty good first impression. A few of the singles I didn't care for as much still felt like some of the weaker tracks on the record, but there's some really good stuff on here too.

It's a lot to absorb, so I'll have to hold off most of my thoughts till I can listen a few more times but early standouts are Throw Them to the Lions, The Day When Legions Burned, Desolation, and Bringer of War. My initial impression is that the record is kind of a mixed bag for me. Some really good tracks, some okay tracks, and some tracks that'll probably become skippers.

Overall thought though - as we were discussing earlier in the thread, Mark seems to be relying heavily on his voice here. He has a really good singing voice, but with such a limited range, things start to get really samey after a few tracks, especially with the insistence on having all the choruses be big ringing chords for the most part. I'm surprised with the lack of guitar solos, I didn't count but it seemed like a lot of tracks didn't have solos. I'm all for mixing it up and having songs with and without solos, but IMO Mark's guitar work, especially his solos, is his strongest attribute as a musician. I would have liked for more emphasis to be put on his lead playing.

I will spin this a couple more times today and develop some more detailed thoughts on specific songs.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #431 on: June 08, 2018, 08:17:00 AM »
My initial impression is that the record is kind of a mixed bag for me. Some really good tracks, some okay tracks, and some tracks that'll probably become skippers.

I'm kind of feeling the same way now on my 3rd spin.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #432 on: June 08, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »
To me, Take You With Me has a kind of Foo Fighters vibe. It reminds me of Everlong in places.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #433 on: June 08, 2018, 10:26:32 AM »
To me, Take You With Me has a kind of Foo Fighters vibe. It reminds me of Everlong in places.

Really?  I thought Take You With Me had a No Way Back vibe if we are talking about Foo Fighters.  Take You With Me is a great track.  A solid upbeat track.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #434 on: June 08, 2018, 10:49:09 AM »
My initial impression is that the record is kind of a mixed bag for me. Some really good tracks, some okay tracks, and some tracks that'll probably become skippers.

I'm kind of feeling the same way now on my 3rd spin.

Yup, just finished my third spin. It's reinforcing that initial thought. Some great songs, some okay songs, some skippers.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #435 on: June 08, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »

Really?  I thought Take You With Me had a No Way Back vibe if we are talking about Foo Fighters.  Take You With Me is a great track.  A solid upbeat track.

Yeah, I can hear that too.

Too early for me to say what I think of the album as a whole. I’ll need a few more spins to form an opinion.

I hear what people are saying about Mark’s voice. Yes, he’s got a limited range, but I think the backing vocals do a good job of showcasing it.

I love the sound of the guitar. Crunchy. Great production.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: June 10, 2018, 10:21:09 AM »
This album keeps getting better and better the more I listen to it.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #437 on: June 10, 2018, 01:59:03 PM »
I've given it three listens so far. Really liking it. May be their best album.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 06:04:05 PM by lordxizor »

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #438 on: June 10, 2018, 02:34:56 PM »
I’m really enjoying The First The Last at the minute. It’s probably the most radio friendly track on the album, but it’s cool.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #439 on: June 11, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »
Make It Hurt and A Lot Like Sin are hooking me a bit this morning.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #440 on: June 12, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
Great record by Tremonti. It is by far the most complex and wide-ranging album he's done under his own name. I find myself liking a different track every time I listen to it, so for me, that's a huge positive.

Hoping he can do some sort of U.S. run. I'd be there for sure.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #441 on: June 12, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »
Great record by Tremonti. It is by far the most complex and wide-ranging album he's done under his own name. I find myself liking a different track every time I listen to it, so for me, that's a huge positive.

I've listened to this record several more times and honestly I'm a little torn. I agree it's probably his most wide-ranging album as a solo artist, but for me, it still great kinda samey and generic at times. I really wish Mark would keep expanding out in different directions...

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #442 on: June 12, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
I’m really enjoying The First The Last at the minute. It’s probably the most radio friendly track on the album, but it’s cool.

Yeah, this is the first track from the album that's really grabbing me as well. Enjoy it overall though and definitely need to give it some more spins.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #443 on: June 12, 2018, 08:59:12 AM »
Trust is sticking out as another cool song. I love the way it starts, with the lo-fi drums, then into "Give me a reason.."

Online Adami

« Reply #444 on: June 12, 2018, 10:31:52 PM »
Listened to it today.

It's par for the course Tremonto. Some really great stuff, some really weak stuff, and a whooooole lot of mediocre, heard it a hundred times before stuff.

Also I don't like "concept" albums like this. It's an album. An ordinary album. I guess there's technically some kind of theme connecting things, but that's it. Any song could just be one of the normal "talking to someone he's upset with" songs he always does. Any of these songs could have been on any of his other albums and I wouldn't notice.

All in all, I'd give it a C+. Nothing too bad, but really bland and forgettable for the most part. If he doesn't start diversifying, I think I'll just pass on his next stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #445 on: June 13, 2018, 07:09:54 AM »
Listened to it today.

It's par for the course Tremonto. Some really great stuff, some really weak stuff, and a whooooole lot of mediocre, heard it a hundred times before stuff.

Yup, I'm with you. The more I listen to it the more I feel this way.

Also I don't like "concept" albums like this. It's an album. An ordinary album. I guess there's technically some kind of theme connecting things, but that's it. Any song could just be one of the normal "talking to someone he's upset with" songs he always does. Any of these songs could have been on any of his other albums and I wouldn't notice.

That's a good point, and one that I hadn't mentioned before, but I feel the same. I get that it's a concept album that is supposed to tell a story, but there's no connection or themes that reoccur and the lyrics seem like they could all stand alone. Maybe the book will help things make sense...

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #446 on: June 25, 2018, 03:19:53 PM »
re: concept albums

I love the album, but I have to admit, other than having a clear idea of an AI and a human in the "story," I haven't spent the time to actually figure it out. I'm just rocking to it. And sadly, given today's huge flood of music, I know I personally just don't have the time to spend on concept records like I use to. So even if something IS a concept album, for me, if I dig it, I dig it, and eventually, I hope the concept bleeds through and I "get it" without working too much at it.

So far, I haven't really been able to do that with A Dying Machine. And I haven't read the lyrics. Just no time.

I remember when Operation: Mindcrime came out, I had the time to sit there and listen intently to the album, read the lyrics over and over, and I got what it was all about. Same with DT's SFAM, Pink Floyd's The Wall, same with Fates Warning's APSOG. But I just don't have the time to do that as much any longer, and it sucks, because I want to.

But reality is, unless it is pretty straight forward, I'm just in it to enjoy some great tunes and melodies. And Tremonti delivers that on this record. The book will absolutely fill the gap for me I am sure. Of course, that too requires an investment of time, but I tend to read books at times where I wouldn't necessarily listen to music or anything music-related (before going to sleep is usually perfect), so it'll work out for me.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #447 on: June 29, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »
For anyone that cares, here's the preorder link to the A Dying Machine novel.

https://www.marktremonti.com/products/a-dying-machine-novel

Here's the synopsis.

When Brennan Gibbons' beloved wife Eleanor dies, so does the renowned architect’s career. On a fluke, Brennan enters and wins the 22nd Century Lottery to be one of the few people able to buy a first generation Vessel – an artificial human, part flesh, part machine, created to be the perfect partner. Though slightly dubious, Brennan brings Stella home, with the hopes that she can help him re-engage with life, without replacing his dead wife. At first, Stella is everything Brennan could desire in a partner, but Stella is not entirely human. Her robotic parts make her better, stronger, and faster.  Yet as time passes, Stella begins to develop her own personality and free will--along with a dark obsession.

'At the same time, the Vessels created to be the bodyguards for the rich and powerful board members of Fusion Flesh are realizing that they too have free will. Bred to be killers and forced to serve as confidants and lovers, these Vessels realize that they have the tools necessary to fight for the rights of their kind. Led by Ares, the bodyguard of Fusion Flesh CEO Maggie Coogan; the Vessels band together to form a ruthless guerilla unit to overthrow those who control them.

'A DYING MACHINE weaves a tale of two stories: that of Ares and Stella - highlighting human folly through the creation of seemingly perfect beings...  Beings who ultimately want what all people want: the freedom to love and live.'

Online Adami

« Reply #448 on: June 29, 2018, 10:07:17 AM »
Makes sense. The songs all sounded like Tremonti relationship songs anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #449 on: June 29, 2018, 10:11:53 AM »
re: concept albums

I love the album, but I have to admit, other than having a clear idea of an AI and a human in the "story," I haven't spent the time to actually figure it out. I'm just rocking to it. And sadly, given today's huge flood of music, I know I personally just don't have the time to spend on concept records like I use to. So even if something IS a concept album, for me, if I dig it, I dig it, and eventually, I hope the concept bleeds through and I "get it" without working too much at it.

So far, I haven't really been able to do that with A Dying Machine. And I haven't read the lyrics. Just no time.

I remember when Operation: Mindcrime came out, I had the time to sit there and listen intently to the album, read the lyrics over and over, and I got what it was all about. Same with DT's SFAM, Pink Floyd's The Wall, same with Fates Warning's APSOG. But I just don't have the time to do that as much any longer, and it sucks, because I want to.

But reality is, unless it is pretty straight forward, I'm just in it to enjoy some great tunes and melodies. And Tremonti delivers that on this record. The book will absolutely fill the gap for me I am sure. Of course, that too requires an investment of time, but I tend to read books at times where I wouldn't necessarily listen to music or anything music-related (before going to sleep is usually perfect), so it'll work out for me.

It helps that Operation: Mindcrime is easily the single most 'cinematic' concept album out there. Plenty of other concept albums have used sound bits, narration and the like before and after Mindcrime- but it's still the only album I've heard that really paid serious attention to the design and construction of those bits. They have ridiculously good sound design and dialogue between the characters and how it marries to the lyrics and music.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #450 on: June 29, 2018, 10:47:01 AM »
Makes sense. The songs all sounded like Tremonti relationship songs anyway.

:lol Pretty much!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #451 on: July 01, 2018, 07:53:46 PM »
I liked 'A Dying Machine' but I didn't love it. I was wondering why and the conclusion I came out with is that it sounds way too much like Alter Bridge (Yeah we all know that), but without Myles' amazing vocal prowess the songs lack some kind of "shock" on the vocal melodies. Mark's a riff producing machine and I loved the instrumental parts of most of the songs, namely Take you With Me, Trust, and specially The Day when Legions Burned... He sings great, too; But his vocal range is limited compared to that of Myles and I felt that, at least on some songs, it could have had better vocal melodies.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: July 06, 2018, 10:56:57 AM »
To be honest, I really think Mark and Myles need to step away from Baskette as their producer. Need to branch out more, try some different takes on things.

I agree with the comment that A Dying Machine, production-wise, sounds like Alter Bridge. It's like Baskette just took everything and piped it through the same settings AB uses. Need to get away from that. I sincerely hope all the AB guys step away from Elvis in their future projects for the next few years, and try something new. Just to vary it up and see what a new approach brings.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #453 on: July 06, 2018, 10:59:36 AM »
To be honest, I really think Mark and Myles need to step away from Baskette as their producer. Need to branch out more, try some different takes on things.

I agree with the comment that A Dying Machine, production-wise, sounds like Alter Bridge. It's like Baskette just took everything and piped it through the same settings AB uses. Need to get away from that. I sincerely hope all the AB guys step away from Elvis in their future projects for the next few years, and try something new. Just to vary it up and see what a new approach brings.

Oh yeah no doubt, I've been banging that drum for years.

I think at this point in their careers, a fresh producer would be fantastic for Mark and Myles both from a sonic perspective and a song-writing/arranging perspective.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: July 08, 2021, 04:42:58 PM »
New Tremonti album coming September 24th titled Marching in Time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.