Author Topic: Tremonti Thread v. A DYING MACHINE  (Read 71843 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Tremonti Thread v. DUST OUT NOW
« Reply #385 on: March 29, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »
I believe the song that was teased is From The Sky!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Tremonti Thread v. DUST OUT NOW
« Reply #386 on: March 29, 2018, 03:26:04 PM »
Sounded cool. Gonna hold out judgment till I hear how he handles the choruses and song structures. Sample was pretty normal Tremonti.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

Re: Tremonti Thread v. A DYING MACHINE - JUNE 5th
« Reply #387 on: March 29, 2018, 03:36:31 PM »
Yeah, Im hoping for a little bit more experimentation, especially if it's going to be a concept album. I really loved Cauterize, and while Dust was good, nothing on that album stood out from his previous two records.

Offline Adami

« Reply #388 on: March 29, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »
Yea, he's lucky in the fact that it all generally is good and enjoyable, even if it all blurs together.

Similar to Epica and Amaranthe for me. All SUPER samey but all enjoyable.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #389 on: March 30, 2018, 02:33:35 PM »
The title track to A Dying Machine is going to be released, next week.  I'm hyped.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #390 on: March 30, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »
I'm super pumped for this album. I try not to listen to pre-release songs too much so I don't ruin those songs on the album. But with the first song being released next week, I find myself very much wanting to listen as much as possible. I'll have to temper that, because June 8 isn't that far out.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #391 on: April 06, 2018, 06:31:49 AM »
"YOU'RE A DYING MACHINE!"
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #392 on: April 06, 2018, 09:03:04 AM »
Just checked out the title track on Spotify... I'm kinda mixed on it. Good, solid song, but like I said before he doesn't do anything I haven't heard from him before. It's cool but never blew me away.

EDIT - it's up on YouTube now -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suGBbS4gylM
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:09:12 AM by mikeyd23 »

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #393 on: April 06, 2018, 09:43:39 AM »
I pretty much agree. I didn't get the crunchy riffs I was hoping for like from the teaser, but it's a solid track. I like the way it moves through the song and I really dig the chorus.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #394 on: April 06, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »
Just checked out the title track on Spotify... I'm kinda mixed on it. Good, solid song, but like I said before he doesn't do anything I haven't heard from him before. It's cool but never blew me away.

EDIT - it's up on YouTube now -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suGBbS4gylM

Interesting tune. I like the point-counterpoint lyrics, and thought the bridge was cool. Expected a solo, didn't get one.

Song was a little repetitive, but I am withholding any snap judgments, because this is a concept record, and this is a piece of a story. Depending on the context, this could be a vital part of the story and album.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #395 on: April 06, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
I pretty much agree. I didn't get the crunchy riffs I was hoping for like from the teaser, but it's a solid track. I like the way it moves through the song and I really dig the chorus.

I liked the chorus as well, I was just hoping something else hooked me and nothing else really has.

Interesting tune. I like the point-counterpoint lyrics, and thought the bridge was cool. Expected a solo, didn't get one.

Song was a little repetitive, but I am withholding any snap judgments, because this is a concept record, and this is a piece of a story. Depending on the context, this could be a vital part of the story and album.

The lyrics are cool, and I'm sure they will be cooler in the context of the record.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #396 on: April 06, 2018, 01:57:57 PM »
I dig it. It’s different than his usual formula. And he changes the tone of his voice, which is probably for the characters. On my first listen, I thought the chorus was the point of view from who I am guessing is the machine, but then the melody switches up. I like the variations, and could make for a interesting storytelling experience depending what else he has to offer on this album. I don’t think he went in to this record to make a single that we’re used to

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: April 08, 2018, 04:34:39 AM »
Well, it sure sounds like Tremonti.  It's really quite disappointing for me that for a six minute title track there's no guitar solo at all.  I hope this isn't a trend.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #398 on: April 08, 2018, 02:10:22 PM »
I mean when AB did Calm the Fire, that was a 6-minute track that put more of an emphasis on lyrical content and vocals (moreso than usual) rather than big guitar riffs and solos.

As for A Dying Machine, I do agree, it's indeed different than the usual Tremonti formula, but it still works out well for them.  Hopefully, it works a lot better in the context of the concept of A Dying Machine, but it's still a good standalone songs.  It's also a good thing that Mark is writing lyrics about stuff that seems to go outside the usual post-grunge/alternative metal motifs (which can be great, but can go stale quite fast).

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #399 on: April 16, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
Take You With Me is REALLY, REALLY good. Totally different for Mark Tremonti. It keeps his classic heavy riffing, but it also incorporates a bit of pop like My Champion from AB, and then a little Foo Fighters to my ear.

I really dig it. nice to see him do something that goes that direction. Love the way he is singing too. He sang a little higher, which adds some dynamics.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #400 on: April 16, 2018, 09:21:53 AM »
Yeah I like Take You With Me more than the title track I think, it's pretty cool.

But honestly with both of these tracks, it feels a little Tremonti-by-the-numbers to me. That's not really a bad thing, I love Mark's stuff, just an observation.

Here's the track -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYwrSAZzXEc

Offline Adami

« Reply #401 on: April 16, 2018, 09:41:44 AM »
Okay song, nothing special, nothing bad.

But I feel like they planned the video for a different song. The video is emphasizing heaviness and aggression, while the song is actually pretty light and fluffy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #402 on: April 16, 2018, 09:44:41 AM »
Okay song, nothing special, nothing bad.

That's kinda where I'm at with the two tracks they have released. I like them, I don't love them. There's nothing bad about them, but there's also nothing that really truly grabbed me.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #403 on: April 16, 2018, 09:55:20 AM »
I can't say whether or not I feel like it's "samey", but maybe that's because I just don't care. I can't stop loving what I've heard so far, and I'm dying to hear it all as a whole. Take You With Me puts the biggest fucking smile on my face  :metal.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: April 17, 2018, 05:44:08 AM »
Thought this was a Foo Fighters song for sure at the start.  Don't know what to think.  Not really impressed so far with both these tracks.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #405 on: April 17, 2018, 02:02:41 PM »
I really like the title track, but Take You With Me...im still nursing it. It should be interesting to hear these songs in the confines of the concept album.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #406 on: April 20, 2018, 08:28:51 PM »
These songs just plain confirm that Mr. Mark Thomas Tremonti is one of the best rock guitarists and songwriters of the current era. Loved these tracks to be honest

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #407 on: May 10, 2018, 10:34:08 PM »
Bringer of War is without a doubt my favorite track that has been released!  :metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #408 on: May 11, 2018, 07:48:14 AM »
Bringer of War is without a doubt my favorite track that has been released!  :metal

Yeah, I'd agree, it's probably my favorite of the three as well. That bridge riff into the solo is really good. I'd love to hear Mark experiment more with his choruses and try some different things out besides the straight rock strumming chords, but that said the chorus did have a couple interesting chord changes that were refreshing.

Overall though, yeah - really good song. Mark continues to show that he's one of the best (and still most underrated, IMO) metal riff writers out there.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #409 on: June 01, 2018, 08:25:31 AM »
BUMP.

New track released - "As the Silence Becomes Me":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8TjB72boz8

Honestly, kind of a meh reaction from me. I like the clean picking style in the verses, that's classic Mark. But the choruses feel sort of flat to me, and the melody didn't really grab me. The bridge started out promising but then didn't really go anywhere. The whole thing just didn't feel special to me, it just was kinda there - didn't do much for me.

For me, this song is a glowing example as to why, even though I like Mark and Myles separately, when they write together for AB they produce the best material. A song idea like this could have been taken to greater places, IMO, with Myles as a writing partner.

Not a bad song, just not a particularly good song either.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #410 on: June 01, 2018, 09:35:22 AM »
BUMP.

New track released - "As the Silence Becomes Me":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8TjB72boz8

Honestly, kind of a meh reaction from me. I like the clean picking style in the verses, that's classic Mark. But the choruses feel sort of flat to me, and the melody didn't really grab me. The bridge started out promising but then didn't really go anywhere. The whole thing just didn't feel special to me, it just was kinda there - didn't do much for me.

For me, this song is a glowing example as to why, even though I like Mark and Myles separately, when they write together for AB they produce the best material. A song idea like this could have been taken to greater places, IMO, with Myles as a writing partner.

Not a bad song, just not a particularly good song either.

I agree except I think Myles is fine on his own. The Tremonti solo stuff is okay but doesn't hold a candle to AB.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #411 on: June 01, 2018, 09:55:05 AM »
I agree except I think Myles is fine on his own. The Tremonti solo stuff is okay but doesn't hold a candle to AB.

You know what, you're probably right. His solo record is really good, just so different, it's hard to compare. With Tremonti, it's closer to AB's style so it's easier to compare. But now that you mention it, Myles' work on the Mayfield Four stuff is fantastic. So my comment probably applies to Mark more than Myles.

I just feel like Mark's work ends up better when he writes with Myles I guess, that's all.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #412 on: June 01, 2018, 12:08:51 PM »
I agree As The Silence Becomes Me isn't all that and a bag of chips, but again, I want to hear the full album before I can judge the song on it's own. I need to get the gist of the story being told on a concept album to truly appreciate or not appreciate the material.

As far as Mark's work being better when he writes with Myles....remember Mark wrote all of One Day Remains, and that is a stellar album that still holds up today. Do you think Tremonti's solo work isn't as spectacular as Alter Bridge (which i'm in agreement with) is being Mark has taken the role of lead vocalist, and is writing music to match his vocal capabilities? Do you think if Mark wrote instrumental pieces it would be better than pieces where he's lead vocalist?

EDIT: Mark solos a lot more in AB whereas in all 3 Tremonti and what we've heard from A Dying Machine there's hardly any.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:14:11 PM by Accelerando »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #413 on: June 01, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »
I agree As The Silence Becomes Me isn't all that and a bag of chips, but again, I want to hear the full album before I can judge the song on it's own. I need to get the gist of the story being told on a concept album to truly appreciate or not appreciate the material.

As far as Mark's work being better when he writes with Myles....remember Mark wrote all of One Day Remains, and that is a stellar album that still holds up today. Do you think Tremonti's solo work isn't as spectacular as Alter Bridge (which i'm in agreement with) is being Mark has taken the role of lead vocalist, and is writing music to match his vocal capabilities? Do you think if Mark wrote instrumental pieces it would be better than pieces where he's lead vocalist?

One Day Remains is great, and it really does have a special place in my heart, but to be honest it's easily my second to least favorite AB record (with only ABIII ranking worse). So, overall I tend to like the material that came post - ODR which has been basically a combo effort of Mark + Myles. It's also worth noting that Mark had a lot of time to write those songs post Creed and he had no other projects at that point meaning his full focus (from a songwriting perspective) was on that group of songs. I might make the argument at this point he's stretching his songwriting a little thin.

In regards to Mark's voice - I actually really like his voice a lot. His range is definitely limited, but the tone and delivery is solid to my ears. I guess I'm still surprised his solo material relies so heavily on vocals, since like I said, his range is pretty limited. Even after several solo records, I still think it would have made more sense to have his solo stuff be focused more on riffing, soloing, unique song structures, extended instrumental sections, etc... all while incorporating his voice into that. Instead, it's been pretty vocal heavy stuff that doesn't explore much new territory. In fact AB continues to explore more musical territory, which is fine - apparently this solo stuff is what Mark wants to do, so more power to him.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #414 on: June 01, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »
Yeah, he's been way to vocal heavy, and I feel like it's going to be more of that the more comfortable he gets with his voice.

I do enjoy the music, and I still think he's a great guitarist and a riff machine...but I also feel like he hasn't tapped into the raw potential as a solo artist.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #415 on: June 04, 2018, 09:51:42 AM »
I do enjoy the music, and I still think he's a great guitarist and a riff machine...but I also feel like he hasn't tapped into the raw potential as a solo artist.

Perfectly said. I totally agree.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #416 on: June 04, 2018, 07:18:31 PM »
Tomorrow  :metal

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #417 on: June 04, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »
Tomorrow  :metal

Amazon has the release date as June 8th. Not sure it will be released on a Tuesday since most of the new albums are dropping on Friday.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #418 on: June 04, 2018, 08:01:25 PM »
Ah goddammit! You're right. I don't where I got June 5th from...maybe when the album released date was first announced? Ok, few more days...

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #419 on: June 04, 2018, 08:07:50 PM »
Ah goddammit! You're right. I don't where I got June 5th from...maybe when the album released date was first announced? Ok, few more days...

The thread title has June 5th  :lol