Author Topic: Tremonti Thread v. A DYING MACHINE  (Read 71262 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mark Tremonti solo project thread v. "All I Was"
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2012, 05:22:16 AM »
Bugger.  My copy has despatched anyway.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »
Hey I just wanted to share the meet and greet experience at Orlando this morning!

So i woke up at 7 to get there super early. The Best Buy location was 35-40 mins away from my house AND was on a road near the airport. So as you can imagine, traffic could've been insane, so I needed to give myself some time. Luckily, the traffic wasn't too bad and I got at the location around 8:45. Doors to the store opened at 10, so while my body was taking in the coffee and Everything bagel I got from Dunkins, there was some good folks in line to talk to.

When the store opened, they had us all in the single file line to get our copies. I bought two; for me and the other I am giving to my little brother for his birthday. Then we lined up for the signing, which was a few hours later.

In those few hours, the folks at Best Buy and WJRR rock station began setting up the table area and whatknot.

Not too long after everything was set up, Mark, E-Rock, Garrett, and BRIAN came out to sign! They took their time to talk to each and every fan, and signing everything that was thrown at them.

Like we all know, Mark is just the most humble, nicest rockstar.

I talked to Brian and told him the last time I saw AB play was in St. Petersburg at the Jannus Landing venue, and after the show, they were at the bar grabbing some drinks, and I asked to buy to him a beer! Brian said "Man...I know I had several that night, so I don't remember, but thanks for the brewskie man!"

E-rock had to introduce himself as Eric Friedman...I was like, "aka E-Rock. C'mon man!"

Got to Mark, and again, had to tell him how much he was an influence to me. Probably hears that all the time, but he always seems like he genuinely cares about it.

I also slurred when I talked to him...No, i wasn't drunk. I happen to only had 3hrs of sleep because I was working my job at Disney till 2am. And it was Mark Tremonti.

Garrett was the quiet one out of the 4, but a really nice guy.

Here's the rest of the pics! It was an awesome meet and greet.

I'm blasting the hell outta this record now. Fucking awesome.  :metal

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
Hey I just wanted to share the meet and greet experience at Orlando this morning!

So i woke up at 7 to get there super early. The Best Buy location was 35-40 mins away from my house AND was on a road near the airport. So as you can imagine, traffic could've been insane, so I needed to give myself some time. Luckily, the traffic wasn't too bad and I got at the location around 8:45. Doors to the store opened at 10, so while my body was taking in the coffee and Everything bagel I got from Dunkins, there was some good folks in line to talk to.

When the store opened, they had us all in the single file line to get our copies. I bought two; for me and the other I am giving to my little brother for his birthday. Then we lined up for the signing, which was a few hours later.

In those few hours, the folks at Best Buy and WJRR rock station began setting up the table area and whatknot.

Not too long after everything was set up, Mark, E-Rock, Garrett, and BRIAN came out to sign! They took their time to talk to each and every fan, and signing everything that was thrown at them.

Like we all know, Mark is just the most humble, nicest rockstar.

I talked to Brian and told him the last time I saw AB play was in St. Petersburg at the Jannus Landing venue, and after the show, they were at the bar grabbing some drinks, and I asked to buy to him a beer! Brian said "Man...I know I had several that night, so I don't remember, but thanks for the brewskie man!"

E-rock had to introduce himself as Eric Friedman...I was like, "aka E-Rock. C'mon man!"

Got to Mark, and again, had to tell him how much he was an influence to me. Probably hears that all the time, but he always seems like he genuinely cares about it.

I also slurred when I talked to him...No, i wasn't drunk. I happen to only had 3hrs of sleep because I was working my job at Disney till 2am. And it was Mark Tremonti.

Garrett was the quiet one out of the 4, but a really nice guy.

Here's the rest of the pics! It was an awesome meet and greet.

I'm blasting the hell outta this record now. Fucking awesome.  :metal

Ha dude I just saw your post on the alterbridge forum. I don't post there but I just kinda read around. I might end up signing up there as well though who knows. Sounds like you had a great morning!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2012, 06:10:06 PM »
Freaking awesome album I tell you what. This is Mark's proof that he's one of the best Hard Rock musicians of the current days. As I've said before I miss Myles in some of the songs (So You're Afraid is the first one that comes to mind) but in some of them Mark's vocals fit perfectly. Might be on my favorite Hard Rock albums of the year tbh. Shame I don't think they'll ever sell it in my country, I haven't even seen a single Alter Bridge CD here :(

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2012, 10:38:42 PM »
Been spinning this in my car. It def rocks hard  :metal

Offline Basekick

« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
Fantastic album.  This is the kind of music that I'm shocked no one else is playing.  Super heavy, melodic hard rock that does not rely on growls.  Tremonti understands that void I have incredibly well, and it's a pleasure to listen to his music.

THe one gripe I have with this album is that there wasn't that one special riff that made me say 'HOT DAMN.  I HAVE TO LEARN TO PLAY THIS NOW.'  Examples of this include: Find the Real, Blackbird, White Knuckles, All Hope Is Gone, etc.  So while all these songs are a great listen, none of them jump out incredibly and say 'THIS IS WHAT'S UP.'  If that makes any sense.
"10,000 hours of practice - not talent - creates virtuosos."

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."  - Jimi Hendrix

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2012, 03:55:56 PM »
So You're Afraid has some riffs that made me go "THIS IS WHATS UP". Same with the Brains intro riff  :metal

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2012, 10:37:46 PM »
Is this a Best Buy exclusive? I can't find this album anywhere around here.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2012, 04:22:08 AM »
Still waiting for this bad boy in the mail, hopefully I'll get it in the next couple of days.  Good to hear you guys are digging it.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2012, 11:20:19 PM »
This album is rockin! I haven't been able to stop listening to it either. A whole bunch of infectious riffing and melodies that play in my head for hours.

All I Was is still my favorite song, but You're So Afraid, Leave It Alone, and The Things I've Seen are close!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »
This album is rockin! I haven't been able to stop listening to it either. A whole bunch of infectious riffing and melodies that play in my head for hours.

All I Was is still my favorite song, but You're So Afraid, Leave It Alone, and The Things I've Seen are close!

I am going to buy this album as soon as I can, but you do realize that your opinions on Tremonti are a little hard to take seriously, right?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2012, 04:34:14 AM »

I am going to buy this album as soon as I can, but you do realize that your opinions on Tremonti are a little hard to take seriously, right?

Ha, well brace yourself, my friend, because i actually dont think this is his best effort in terms in soloing. He has better tailored solos in AB than in this album

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #152 on: July 26, 2012, 07:55:42 AM »
Yeah the soloing seems like it took a back seat a little bit but I've been spinning this one in the car since release date  :metal

Online Adami

« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2012, 06:07:06 PM »
Bought it and listened to it today.

That Wish You Well song is really cool. I'll give the rest in bullet point form, since I like it better. I'll even book end it my criticism with positive remarks to make sure Accelerando doesn't have a heart attack.

1. REALLY good production. Seriously, AB needs to sound as good as this CD does.
2. Tremonti is a hell of a vocalist and I really enjoyed hearing him and Eric sing.
3. The first few tracks are really strong, but then it really does just become a heavier AB album, I could find virtually no difference between these guys and AB aside from the 1 heavy riff he keeps changing up a little from song to song, the production and different vocalist.
4. Like all Tremonti CD's, almost every chorus sounds exactly the same to me musically.
5. The metal riffs are also reallllllllly samey. It's usually monotone and ends with some syncopated triplets.
6. Great drummer, way better than Phlip.
7. Some very cool riffs mixed in with a ton of generic ones.

Oh, I was also let down with the soloing like you guys were. I've heard how good Tremonti can be, I have no idea why he's relegated himself to playing pentatonic minor with a wah pedal for every solo.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2012, 10:04:05 AM »
Those are pretty much my thoughts as well.

I still enjoy the album though for sure and it's a fun listen every time. The drumming is insane  :metal

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2012, 08:29:26 PM »
Ha, I'm far from having a heart attack.

More spins of the cd is making me want to listen more of the first half of the cd than the last. The last two songs are my least favorite, which are the two choruses he had to rewrite because he didn't like them. Im not fond of those choruses either.

All I Was is still my favorite song, and and im loving Brains more and more each listen.

Online Adami

« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2012, 08:34:38 PM »
I don't know the titles of the songs cause I had to use the cd case for something else and haven't looked at them since.

But the whole Here Today, Gone Tomorrow song is my least favorite. I mean it's seriously just an Alterbridge song with Tremonti on vocals.

I was listened to the CD today and my favorite song by far is Wish You Well. In fact the best moments on the whole CD are the entirety of the final chorus through the end when they turn into Fear Factory.

I listened to the first Creed cd today too. And by god every time they hit a cool sounding chorus I was like "This is too cool to be a chorus....it's probably just a pre-chorus" and then sure enough there'd come the half time chord strumming chorus in almost EVERY single song. Mark really needs to completely stop writing those half time chord strumming choruses, if for no other reason than to prove that he can.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2012, 10:46:13 PM »
Ha, I'm far from having a heart attack.

More spins of the cd is making me want to listen more of the first half of the cd than the last. The last two songs are my least favorite, which are the two choruses he had to rewrite because he didn't like them. Im not fond of those choruses either.

All I Was is still my favorite song, and and im loving Brains more and more each listen.

Oh damn. I love Decay but Doesn't Matter is the filler of the album for sure.

Brains intro/verse is def really cool as well.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2012, 10:52:43 PM »
I don't know the titles of the songs cause I had to use the cd case for something else and haven't looked at them since.

But the whole Here Today, Gone Tomorrow song is my least favorite. I mean it's seriously just an Alterbridge song with Tremonti on vocals.

I was listened to the CD today and my favorite song by far is Wish You Well. In fact the best moments on the whole CD are the entirety of the final chorus through the end when they turn into Fear Factory.

I listened to the first Creed cd today too. And by god every time they hit a cool sounding chorus I was like "This is too cool to be a chorus....it's probably just a pre-chorus" and then sure enough there'd come the half time chord strumming chorus in almost EVERY single song. Mark really needs to completely stop writing those half time chord strumming choruses, if for no other reason than to prove that he can.

I like Wish You Well the best as well. It's such a rocker and the chorus (although still a pretty typical progression) stands out.

Although most songs can be AB songs, Tremonti's voice, the production and the drumming make it different from AB and Creed imo.

Online Adami

« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2012, 10:55:09 PM »
Love the drummer, love the SOUND of the drums. Phlip seems to have gotten VERY lazy recently and his production (although probably not his fault) is awful. The new drummer and the drum production was very refreshing.

Also, for some reason I thought Brian Marshal was on bass for this. Was that ever the case?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2012, 03:00:50 AM »
Also, for some reason I thought Brian Marshal was on bass for this. Was that ever the case?

I thought he was too.

I just received the cd today, but probably won't get to listen until Saturday.  The discussion on the subject of the solos disappoints me though.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2012, 08:08:12 AM »
Eric Friedman played bass on the album along with rhythm guitar.

Brian is only playing bass live.

Pretty cool live performance of Wish You Well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh4VudJBZk4

Online Adami

« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2012, 09:29:48 PM »
Eric Friedman played bass on the album along with rhythm guitar.

Brian is only playing bass live.

Pretty cool live performance of Wish You Well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh4VudJBZk4

No I know Eric played on the album once I got the CD. But before that I thought a while ago they said Brian was doing it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2012, 09:36:58 PM »
I read in an interview Brian couldn't play bass on the record because of some sort of contract reasons with Windup or something. Originally, Wolfgang Van Halen was suppose to be the bassist for Tremonti, but the Van Halen tour stopped him from working and recording the tracks. So they had to get Erock to track em.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2012, 04:37:06 AM »
Alright, I have listened to this album once through.  It's very enjoyable, but really, I don't see the point, this shows the lack of diversity Tremonti has in his songwriting.  As said before, it's an Alter Bridge cd with him singing.

Now, I have always been intrigued by Tremonti's voice, so this does excite me, I think his vocals are amazing, I think I prefer him to Myles, he just has an amazing tone that fits the songs really, really well.  Production is killer and it's mixed really well.

The first half of the cd is very strong, but IMO, dips in quality towards the end, and I did start to drift off.  The last song was a good kick in the ass though.  I must make known my disappointment with the solos.  The song writing is so similar, that I found too many songs having the solos coming in at the outro which really hurts the cd, like Creed and AB many songs don't have a main solo at all and a light flurry at the end.  As a solo cd, I found this off putting.  And the solos that are present during the songs are too short.  There is nothing here like Find the Real, Blackbird, Open Your Eyes etc. in terms of solos.

The riffs are good but too similar.  Some real heavy ones, but nothing as sticking as Find the Real or Coming Home.

Overall, I love his voice which is the main reason why I think I will be coming back to this cd.  I will keep listening.

Online Adami

« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2012, 02:43:01 AM »
Sorry for the bump, but I recently decided to test my theory. I listened to the chorus's (and usually whatever led up to them) of almost every single Creed, Alter Bridge and Mark Tremonti song that I wasn't 100% sure I remembered off the top of my head. I made a tally of how many of them were basically just strumming chords in half time. And here's what I came up with.

For Creed, 38 chorus's are just strumming chords in half time while 5 are not.

For Alter Bridge EVERY SINGLE SONG'S CHORUS is just strumming chords in half time with one exception, and that is strumming chords in normal time, not cut time.

For Tremonti's solo CD, 11 songs's choruses were strumming chords in half time, while 1 was not.

So all together, that's 88 chorus's that are essentially the same thing with 6 that are different. And I even counted the chorus to Wish you Well as not strumming chords even though it really is.

So, Mark CLEARLY has a problem here. I also noticed in almost every not heavy song of his, the guitar and drums are nearly identical from song to song. In fact I'm pretty sure you could take 3-4 different drum tracks and put every other song on top of them and not notice a difference.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2012, 04:44:15 AM »
Interesting discovery, but valid.  You can tell that songwriting is Mark's weak point, but really, I've taken all pre conceived judgements and criticisms away and I'm really enjoying this new cd a lot. 

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
Back on the solo issue... I put the disc back into rotation in my car.... it seems like he made an album that he just wanted to rock out and bang his head to. There's not a lot of technicalities. His solos with AB are FAR superior. He makes those solos sing, especially on Brand New Start. I do however enjoy the solo for Leave It Alone. Classic Tremonti. Starts off slow, breathes, and then wails.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2012, 01:02:58 AM »
 :omg:

*squeal*

We had a surprise guest show up tonight, the amazing John Petrucci!

[/quote]

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »
whaaaaaaattttttt  :metal :metal

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: September 10, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
:metal And the rest of the people's faces just melted. They also look handsome. No homo.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2012, 10:08:56 PM »
Here's some cool and unfortunate news that just came up.

Due to personal reason, Brian is not touring with Tremonti. The reasons haven't been specified, but my guess is Creed just finished up a massive tour, and he needs some rest. I hope that's the reason. Replacing him on the tour is the original bassist for the project, Wolfgang Van Halen!

Also, on VH1 Classic's That Metal Show, Tremonti was a featured guest with King Diamond. It's a really good episode! Check it out here

https://www.vh1.com/video/that-metal-show/full-episodes/king-diamond-mark-tremonti/1693438/playlist.jhtml

Online Adami

« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2012, 10:37:29 PM »
I am not excited about Wolfgang joining him at all. For some reason I can't take anything that kid does seriously, no matter how good he is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »
Finally got around to checking this out. Wow... it's really good. I'm pleasantly surprised that Tremonti's vocals are really good.