Author Topic: Tremonti Thread v. A DYING MACHINE  (Read 71277 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Tremonti Thread v. A DYING MACHINE
« on: April 14, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »
Florida was struck by a sudden and unusually severe series of earthquakes yesterday. Officials are pretty sure they have a reason. It came from a roar of a guitar as yesterday, Mark Tremonti, started his guitar tracking for his anticipated solo album.

It's about time! He's done everything from winning a Grammy to several Guitarists of the Year to a very well made instructional DVD.

This should be a really interesting album. I hope Mark takes the opportunity to venture into areas musically that aren't what we would ever hear with Alter Bridge or Creed.

Since he has total artistic freedom with this compared to the more defined "sound" of his established bands, I fully expect alot of experimentation. With Mark's metal roots... this could be some heavy stuff! He's great in writing heavy riffs. But im expecting some blues as well.

I am sure he has a catalog of stuff saved away that he probably really likes, but didn't have the right outlet to use it on.

I have to believe somewhere in him there have been some itches he's been patiently waiting to scratch musically over the past 15 or so years, and I can't wait to hear them.

So here's what I know about this solo project:

- Mark is the lead guitarist (duh) and vocalist, with Eric Friedman (Daughters of Mara) as the backup guitarist and Garrett Whitlock (Submersed) on drums. I really like how he is getting musicians he's managed over the years for the project instead of picking up all-stars, and they're not bad at their instruments either.

- There has been talks of a guest artist or two, but nothing is concrete. But these guests artists will most likely be his guitar buddies, Rusty Cooley and Michael Angelo Batio

- Nobody from his other bands will be involved. It wouldn't be a solo project if his other band members are involved, now would it?

- Album should be released this year.

...holy shit....my house just shook....somewhere about 20 miles from where I am in Orlando, he's shredding....

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:01:47 PM by Accelerando »

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
Re: The Mark Tremonti solo project thread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »
Definitely interested to see what he comes up with!  I was never a huge fan of the bands he's played in, but he definitely knows what he's doing on the guitar.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 03:23:49 PM »
Does this guy ever take a break?! :lol  It will be a automatic buy for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:48:16 PM »
I'm glad he won't be working with Scott Phillips. I'd love to hear him work with different musicians.

Looking forward to it. :) Hopefully it's more diverse than his creed/alterbridge stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:51:22 PM »
First day buyer here.  Hopefully more metal orientated would be good, he's a great shredder.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »
Given the fact that his sound has been so well established in the past, Im very interested in hearing what different ideas he may have. 

Hopefully it's more diverse than his creed/alterbridge stuff.

Pretty much. 

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »
Long overdue.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 11:31:07 PM »

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:01:25 PM »
New pics from the studio. Check out that rig. Sounds heavy

BTW that's just not a studio... that's Tremonti's freakin crib. All that money from the old Creed glory days was well worth spent. That interior is amazing

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 12:51:55 AM »
So in recent interviews that Mark's been giving, like the one on the link below, he's been getting asked about his solo album. Everyone wants to know what it's going to sound like and when this thing is gonna be released. His common responses have been thus far have been "Heavy", "Speed metal", and "January 2012". This is a guy whose top 5 albums include Metallica's Master of Puppets, Slayer's Reign In Blood, and Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales. Stoked doesn't do justice to what im feeling right now!!!  :metal :metal

Here's a recent radio interview!

https://937kclb.com/node/4883

Online Adami

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 12:26:45 PM »
So in recent interviews that Mark's been giving, like the one on the link below, he's been getting asked about his solo album. Everyone wants to know what it's going to sound like and when this thing is gonna be released. His common responses have been thus far have been "Heavy", "Speed metal", and "January 2012". This is a guy whose top 5 albums include Metallica's Master of Puppets, Slayer's Reign In Blood, and Celtic Frost's Morbid Tales. Stoked doesn't do justice to what im feeling right now!!!  :metal :metal

To be fair, he also described the new Alter Bridge album with similar phrases. And it was FAR from that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline weddingnails

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 12:35:45 PM »
eveyone i know thinks he is better than john petrucci....wtf is wrong with the world...he is the travis barker of guitar players
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die"

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 01:33:41 PM »
Travis Barker is a good drummer though. Therefore, you just said Mark Tremonti is a good guitar player.

I agree with you. :tup
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline weddingnails

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 01:36:01 PM »
he is good..but wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overrated...i mean i cant play half as good as him so im not one to judge..im just saying he isnt as good as everyone thinks...i can list 50 drummers who are way better than travis and 50 guitar players who are better than mark tremonti
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die"

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 04:36:35 PM »

To be fair, he also described the new Alter Bridge album with similar phrases. And it was FAR from that.

I believe he said ABIII  was "dark", not necessarily heavy. Here he's saying he's going to his metal roots, and it's going to be a heavy album

he is good..but wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overrated...i mean i cant play half as good as him so im not one to judge..im just saying he isnt as good as everyone thinks...i can list 50 drummers who are way better than travis and 50 guitar players who are better than mark tremonti

Ugh, i can't believe you just did that. If anything, the dude is underrated. And im not saying he's the best ever, but when I look at guitar players, I balance both their capability to write songs and their skills. Mark Tremonti is the busiest man in the rock music today because, even though he's very skilled at both aspects, he's always learning. I think having that urge to learn and learn often in any field in any medium makes people great. Tremonti is capable of writing beautiful passages (i.e. With Arms Wide Open, In Loving Memory), even better at writing bridges (i.e. Wash Away Those Years, Burn It Down) to melt your face off riffs  (i.e Isolation, White Knuckles). His techniques and speed are incredible. He has a great mix of passion/blues playing with shred characteristics. 

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 04:49:06 PM »
^
That. Also, Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad and the solo of Open Your Eyes makes your argument invalid.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »
I don't think Mark Tremonti could ever be overrated considering how great he is as a guitarist balanced with the fact that he's in Creed, one of the most underrated bands of all time (underrated because of the amount of people that absolutely hate it).

He's one of my favourites because of his songs more than just how technically good he is in solos, although I know he is pretty good in that respect too. I'm sure there are many better but it's more things like writing the middle section of Blackbird that make him great rather than just being a technical virtuoso.

AB III was described as heavy and it was fairly heavy, definitely not speed metal though (to be fair I think it was only the bridge of Isolation or parts of Still Remains that were described as being like that). I would also love for this to include some more of the heavy metal side than AB III.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »
New pics from the studio. Check out that rig. Sounds heavy

[/center]

BTW that's just not a studio... that's Tremonti's freakin crib. All that money from the old Creed glory days was well worth spent. That interior is amazing

Woah. Can he actually afford to live there anymore?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 05:44:54 AM »
Good call on the bridge to Burn it Down.  Always gets me pumped.

Offline jamhet

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 11:19:44 AM »
Oh no! I hate the fact that the album is gonna have vocals :(
Tremonti has been one of the most important gutarists in my life. I learned guitar on Creed songs, which can give you so much.
But I've been disappointed with what Alter Bridge have been doing as of late. The music has become generic as shit, all the songs go along the same exact scheme. Compositionaly and arrangement wise it's  totaly uncreative, totaly uninspired rubbish.

If it was an instrumental album, it would get his mind beyond the constraints of writing to a verse/chorus scheme which he's been stuck in. Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad was an awesome piece and I wish he had made and would make more such compositions.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »
I think Creed are way more generic than Alter Bridge?  Well, there is a lot more diversity in AB then there ever was in Creed, IMO.

Online Adami

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »
I think Creed are way more generic than Alter Bridge?  Well, there is a lot more diversity in AB then there ever was in Creed, IMO.

Near the end, Creed was pretty repetitive. But the first two albums are quite a bit more varied than most Alter Bridge.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 06:45:36 AM »

Near the end, Creed was pretty repetitive. But the first two albums are quite a bit more varied than most Alter Bridge.

Thinking about this today. I think Weathered is probably the most varied of the Creed albums, actually.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 08:46:05 AM »
I also think Weathered was the most varied and best of the Creed albums. Also that Alter Bridge is far better, can't really see hearing Creed and thinking it's amazing and then hearing Alter Bridge and thinking it's generic as shit, unless your tastes in music have just completely changed and you don't realise that's what's making you feel differently.

He did say he wanted to do an instrumental album at some point, I'm glad this isn't it though, I think it'll be more interesting.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 08:48:11 AM »

Thinking about this today. I think Weathered is probably the most varied of the Creed albums, actually.

It is. But "varied" in the sense that the guys were smileing all over Tool's Lateralus and trying rather unsuccessfully to incorporate that into their sound. Sorry, but you can't to something that sounds like Tool if you're gonna go into the studio with Scott Stapp and, on top of that, no bass  player!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 12:25:14 AM »
One of my favorite riffs Tremonti has ever done. How to make your riffs sound brutal 101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwupoI9a1VY&feature=related

Offline jamhet

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 04:22:22 AM »
One of my favorite riffs Tremonti has ever done. How to make your riffs sound brutal 101
Oh man, such a nice riff and the drummer completely blew it!!
He should've joined in with a ride cymbal groove and a solid kick-drum pattern.
Instead, he just kept doing his generic rock crap totally covering the riff with the crash cymbal noise.
What a shame.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 12:32:58 PM »
This is coming from a guy who compared AB to Nickleback in another thread  :facepalm:

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 03:36:21 PM »

It is. But "varied" in the sense that the guys were smileing all over Tool's Lateralus and trying rather unsuccessfully to incorporate that into their sound. Sorry, but you can't to something that sounds like Tool if you're gonna go into the studio with Scott Stapp and, on top of that, no bass  player!

Ha, I didn't know that.  I couldn't care less for Tool, that's probably why.  I suppose its the same with DT and SFAM.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 07:14:40 PM »
Oh man, such a nice riff and the drummer completely blew it!!
He should've joined in with a ride cymbal groove and a solid kick-drum pattern.
Instead, he just kept doing his generic rock crap totally covering the riff with the crash cymbal noise.
What a shame.

LOL WUT?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 11:56:35 PM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=158266

San Antonio cult TV show "Robb's MetalWorks" has released a four-minute preview of an interview with Mark Tremonti of ALTER BRIDGE and CREED conducted on May 3, 2011 at the House of Blues in Chicago, Illinois. Mark discusses ALTER BRIDGE's new album, "ABIII"; the rumors of an ALTER BRIDGE/CREED tour; his upcoming "Tremonti Project" release which will include speed and thrash metal; and why Texas crowds rule.

Regarding his upcoming solo project, Tremonti said, "I just had three months off while [ALTER BRIDGE singer] Myles [Kennedy] was touring with Slash, so I figured it was a good time to get some music put together. I collaborated with Eric Friedman [a.k.a. Erock] and Garrett Whitlock. All this stuff that I wanted to see the light of day that never really got used for ALTER BRIDGE and CREED is what I'm putting on the record. There's a lot of speed metal and thrash stuff in there — riffs that I had sitting around — that I'm putting on this record. So it's definitely a heavier-sounding album."

The full 15-minute interview will be released later this year via cable in the south Texas region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Tte1RtQtc&feature=player_embedded

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 11:18:40 AM »
We have an album title!!!   :metal

"All I Was" will be released Spring 2012

https://www.tremontiproject.com

working song titles:
all i was
brains
so you're afraid
you waste your time
decay
new way out
leave it alone
wish you well
don't claim
proof
gone
all that i got
giving up
doesn't matter

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mark Tremonti solo project thread v. New Album Title!!
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2012, 04:38:45 AM »
Awesome, can't wait!!

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 01:16:43 AM »
This thing is getting closer and closer for a release! I just need a damned preview.

I guess the album cover will keep me satisfied for now.

Online Adami

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 01:18:06 AM »
Honestly, all I'm hoping for is something different. He has been doing essentially the same few songs for over 10 years now. If his solo album could easily be a creed/alterbridge album musically, then I will just give up on Tremonti.
fanticide.bandcamp.com