Author Topic: Tremonti Thread v. A DYING MACHINE  (Read 71289 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: Tremonti Thread v. A DYING MACHINE
« Reply #455 on: July 08, 2021, 05:31:40 PM »
New Tremonti album coming September 24th titled Marching in Time.

Looks like it was produced bu Elvis Baskette again. Wish Mark and Myles would you someone else to produce everything with Alter Bridge related albums and solo efforts.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #456 on: July 08, 2021, 05:51:43 PM »
^^ Yeah.  I think they trust the guy a little too much in everything, but that's what a tight-knit group will do to you.  Same management, same producer, etc.  Them and Sevendust just likes the team they have in management and producing.

Also, here's the track listings.  7:30+ song as the title track and it's the closing track.  That should be an easy sign of a favorite song of the album.

1. A World Away 5:15
2. Now And Forever 4:20
3. If Not For You 4:10
4. Thrown Further 4:47
5. Let That Be Us 4:28
6. You’re The Last 4:40
7. In One Piece 4:36
8. Under The Sun 4:32
9. Not Afraid To Lose 5:44
10. Bleak 4:37
11. Would You Kill 4:04
12. Marching In Time 7:33

Speaking of that Sevendust and Tremonti connection, they will be on tour with Sevendust in the Fall.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #457 on: July 22, 2021, 10:50:45 AM »
New single out, "If not for you":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uB2ZRjbtbY

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #458 on: July 22, 2021, 11:00:49 AM »
New single out, "If not for you":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uB2ZRjbtbY

Didn't love it. Not bad by any stretch, but so far it's the most "Tremonti by numbers" single I've heard. Also noticed its a new drummer?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline nick_z

« Reply #459 on: July 22, 2021, 11:12:56 AM »
Agree with your assessment (after one listen, at least). Yes, I was reading about the drummer. No more Garrett Whitlock - that's a bummer, I really enjoyed his drumming. Looks like he's WVH's drummer now?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: July 25, 2021, 05:10:57 AM »
I thought that song was quite good actually.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #461 on: August 02, 2021, 07:17:32 PM »
I haven't heard anything yet from Marching in Time since I don't want to spoil myself before the album released, but Mark stated on Twitter that the title track will be dropping tomorrow.  It's the longest song of the album and the final song of the album listing.  Given Tremonti (and AB's) record of delivering great album closers and title tracks, this should be a banger.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #462 on: August 03, 2021, 08:58:36 AM »
Well, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvO_YDC-FSQ

it's a good one...

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #463 on: August 03, 2021, 01:17:41 PM »
It's pretty good. It takes a bit to get going. Feel like the build up intro is a bit TOO long. But the rest of the song is pretty bad ass.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #464 on: August 03, 2021, 03:36:56 PM »
Really good stuff, I like it a lot :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pfillion

« Reply #465 on: August 03, 2021, 07:26:20 PM »
Wow great song \m/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: August 04, 2021, 06:21:32 AM »
Hmmmm.....will need a few listens this one.

Offline Adami

« Reply #467 on: August 04, 2021, 06:36:01 AM »
Not bad. Still sounds a bit B side though. I dunno. Maybe his style is just wearing thin on me.

They all sound good, but at some point it just sounds like they're coming out of a factory. And I'm a huge Tremonti fan.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: August 04, 2021, 02:53:30 PM »
Not bad. Still sounds a bit B side though. I dunno. Maybe his style is just wearing thin on me.

They all sound good, but at some point it just sounds like they're coming out of a factory. And I'm a huge Tremonti fan.

I can see that.  To be honest, I didn't pick up the last album and only gave it a couple of spins.  He's never come anywhere near the debut. THe whole AB/Tremonti/Creed sound is all a bit samey and similar.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #469 on: August 07, 2021, 09:32:58 PM »
Maybe they'll grow on me, but the two tracks so far were underwhelming.  I love most of his other stuff, Dust probably being my favorite.  He's had one of the most consistently good guitar tones in the rock/metal orbit and his voice is really underrated.  Those two elements appear unchanged, so hopefully some of the other tracks will hit harder. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #470 on: September 19, 2021, 09:58:35 PM »
So, this was a pleasant surprise.  My shirt/CD bundle that I ordered from the Tremonti website arrived, yesterday, a week before the album is officially out.  Heard the album in full.  I like it.  A lot.  Time will tell if I like it better than Myles' Ides of March or even AB's Walk the Sky, but I think this album brought a couple of things that I felt was missing from Walk the Sky (mainly more instrumental sections to build to the climax of the songs).  Even though, I haven't listened to a lot of albums this year, I feel like I have no issues putting this one as my favorite album of the year, which is good, because that never happens to a Tremonti album.  I always ended up liking something better from that year.  Here's that list.

All I Was (2012).  Liked Rush's Clockwork Angels better.
Cauterize (2015).  Liked Iron Maiden's The Book of Souls
Dust (2016).  Liked AB's The Last Hero and four other albums from that year
A Dying Machine (2018).  Liked Myles' Year of the Tiger slightly better.

From 2021, I've listened to Marching in Time, Ides of March, an Aimer album (Jpop singer), a Hiroyuki Sawano album (Jpop composer), Iron Maiden's Senjutsu, and a Daughtry album and I liked all of those albums, but I have no issues enjoying Marching in Time more since I feel like Mark's style worked in a lot of good places in this one (some could find it tiring due to his style or Elvis' production, but not me for this one).

Favorites: A World Away, In One Piece, Not Afraid to Lose, Bleak, and Marching in Time.  I really do like the instrumental bridge section in Would You Kill though.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:21:03 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pfillion

« Reply #471 on: September 21, 2021, 11:43:44 AM »

Offline Adami

« Reply #472 on: September 21, 2021, 11:47:13 AM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #473 on: September 21, 2021, 02:07:37 PM »
The chorus was a little more saccharine than I'd like, but otherwise that track is exactly the sort of thing I want from him. 

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #474 on: September 21, 2021, 02:37:36 PM »
New single

https://youtu.be/sspy5JeVVlk

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

LOVE this one. My favorite so far of the 4 new ones.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: September 21, 2021, 03:41:28 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #476 on: September 24, 2021, 08:28:44 PM »
Just finished hearing the album.  It's pretty killer.  Nothing groundbreaking, just a very solid, hour-long slab of his flavor of rock/metal.  Definitely going to be a strong contender for my best albums of the year list. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #477 on: September 28, 2021, 10:57:33 AM »
Just finished hearing the album.  It's pretty killer.  Nothing groundbreaking, just a very solid, hour-long slab of his flavor of rock/metal.  Definitely going to be a strong contender for my best albums of the year list.

Been busy with Sleep Token and Iron Maiden. I was finally able to listen to the new Tremonti and holy balls. Some killer riffs. Definitely a strong Tremonti album. Need to relisten to the rest and see where this falls but I was getting burned out by the recent Tremonti albums. This actually sounds refreshing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: October 13, 2021, 06:00:21 PM »

I can see that.  To be honest, I didn't pick up the last album and only gave it a couple of spins.  He's never come anywhere near the debut. THe whole AB/Tremonti/Creed sound is all a bit samey and similar.

I picked up this album because I saw it on the weekend and this is still where I'm at with him.  The first half of the album is really strong but lost interest during the second half of the album.  First few songs were a little fresh and heavy but as this album goes on it embarks on MT/AB generic style territory.

Actually, a lot of these songs on the second half of the album are as generic and boring as anything he's ever done.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 06:12:05 PM by wolfking »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: October 15, 2021, 11:44:29 AM »
I thought Marching in Time was easily the best since Tremonti's debut, All I Was.

In particular, I thought the new record's title track, and the song "Under the Sun" were two of the strongest he's ever written for this solo catalog.

Interesting regarding wolf's opinion and those of others who feel the Creed/Alter Bridge/Tremonti sound is samey and similar. I disagree.

I think Creed is very mid-tempo hard rock. Alter Bridge has some of that, but is much more dynamic, melodic, and progressive thanks to Myles (and it helps when you have a tenor singer). They use light and shade really well. Tremonti I feel brings Mark's thrashier elements to the forefront and as time has gone on, as most songwriters do, he's concentrated more on melody than anger.

This new record, Marching in Time, is a nice balance I thought of thrashy riffs and melody. Tremonti (the project/band) I feel can now really go and play with any sort of rock band out there. They have enough material that crosses over subgenres of rock/metal.

I can appreciate the comments about stuff seeming like it is coming out of a factory. I will say that it seems like things are...very plotted. And they are. I know Mark and Myles have both said that their recording/touring work is mapped out a number of years ahead. So it isn't necessary spontaneous.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #480 on: October 15, 2021, 12:14:36 PM »
I honestly thought the first half was ok stuff.  Stuff that you would typically hear out of the Tremonti/AB camp on Sirus XM Octane (which, if I'm honest, would outclass the majority of the stuff from that station anyway) although A World Away is a solid opener. Still, Leave it Alone and Radical Change are the top standard album openers for Tremonti.  The back half of the album is where I thought certain things from them was better refined than on an album like Dust.  Specifically, certain bridge sections that was terribly missed on AB's Walk the Sky.  I honestly thought Not Afraid to Lose could be up there with one of the best ballads Mark has ever done.  The title track is what you expected at a long song from Tremonti/AB.  It's a lot of stuff to take in and it's great stuff.  The lyrical content is key though.

I do agree with that they have enough material to cross over subgenres of rock/metal and this is going to be the case this December when I see them in LA on tour with Sevendust and Daughtry.  Heck, they were opening for Iron Maiden in the Europe festivals in the summer of 2019.  I still want a headlining show from them.  Don't think I could get it before AB comes looming with the idea of album #7.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #481 on: October 15, 2021, 02:57:20 PM »
I think MIT is phenomenal but has fallen to #3 of the year for me behind Maiden & the new DT. :metal

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #482 on: October 15, 2021, 04:59:01 PM »
Is anyone a fan of adjacent bands like Projected, Submersed, Dark New Day, Call Me No One, or Sick Speed? 

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #483 on: October 15, 2021, 05:13:19 PM »
Is anyone a fan of adjacent bands like Projected, Submersed, Dark New Day, Call Me No One, or Sick Speed?

I loved Submersed. Saw them open for AB on the first tour in '04 and quickly became converted.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: October 15, 2021, 05:24:16 PM »

Totally. The Call Me No One album is just spectacular from top to bottom. A favorite record of mine.

I like Dark New Day quite a bit. Although if I was going to be honest, I really wish Brett Hestla would have revived Virgos Merlot. Signs of a Vacant Soul was epic.

Being a Sevendust fan, I checked out Projected. Love John. Haven't necessarily fallen in love with Projected though.

Regarding Submersed, I thought In Due Time was really good. Then E Rock left (I think) and it wasn't as good after that.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #485 on: October 15, 2021, 05:51:31 PM »
There was a fair amount of songs I liked from Projected's Ignite My Insanity.  I do question their sanity on making that one a double album, but given that it was 5 years at the time since their debut and that they can't really tour unless maybe they are the opening band of their main bands (AB, Tremonti, Sevendust), I guess they wanted to get as much studio material out as possible.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #486 on: October 15, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »

Regarding Submersed, I thought In Due Time was really good. Then E Rock left (I think) and it wasn't as good after that.

Agreed. I really like In Due Time. Immortal Verses had some good songs on it, but I guess losing Eric Friedman had an impact...

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #487 on: March 20, 2022, 10:30:37 AM »
So, Marching in Time still holds up nicely for me.  Bolds well for the concert I'm seeing with them opening for Daughtry in LA tomorrow.  Speaking about tomorrow, Mark has an announcement to make on Down Syndrome Day (his daughter, born last year was born with it).  He says he's going to do something that no one ever expects him to do (and this time, he actually means it.  He's wearing a suit to show how serious he is about it.).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vITx8x37rnU

I think the rumor has been that it's going to be Mark singing Sinatra covers.  Singing, not playing guitar at all.  It looks like according to fans in Australia, it looks like it's going to be confirmed that he made an album of covering Sinatra songs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 12:59:51 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #488 on: March 21, 2022, 11:03:43 AM »
Yep.  It's confirmed.  Mark is going to release an album of him singing Sinatra covers with some of the backup band guys that Sinatra has toured with.  A lot of known musicians like Slash and Kirk Hammett has positive stuff to say about this initiative.  Surprisingly, JP and JLB has some lengthier quotes in the Loudwire article about it.

https://loudwire.com/mark-tremonti-frank-sinatra-covers-album-down-syndrome-charity/

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: March 21, 2022, 02:07:23 PM »
 :lol WTF?!