Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628386 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2011, 11:22:35 AM »
Edit: Nvm, didn't see the P.S.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2011, 08:59:33 PM »
FYI, A Song of Ice and Fire draws from the War of Roses, loosely at least.

GRRM said the Wars of the Roses and the Hundred Years' War were his main influences, but that he moved away from that after the first book. I believe.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2011, 08:16:27 AM »
I'm not sure any of his characters were ever 1-1 matches to historical figures, anyways.  Maybe Eddard or Robert were?  It's not like even if you knew the histories extremely well the story would become clear.  I believe he has also stated this was on purpose, to create the characters in a way that allows the reader to guess what will happen based on what they already know and then be surprised when wrong or when it was right but in an unexpected way.

A tactic like that seems doomed to have to fall away from connections to histories.  The more twists he puts in to contradict the history the less connection he has to it.  The influences on characters and houses will always be there, though. ...saving any bizarro plot decisions. :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2011, 11:37:23 AM »
Best episode yet imo, albeit exposition-y as fuck.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »
So far they are doing the books proud. And series two getting the green light is great news. Looking forward to seeing Melisandre as I have a thing for "evil" women in red...think Sigourney Weaver when she gets possessed in Ghostbusters 2...
Can't wait for the battle of the Blackwater if series three gets a go.
looking forward to the Blu Rays as they will have loads of extras.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2011, 01:38:18 PM »
There is a lot of background material for the stories on HBO.com which I found very helpful (since I haven't read the novels).

Yes, episode 4 was amazing.  The imp appears to be in some trouble, which is a shame since I like him a lot thus far.  And I was glad to see the horse lord's new wife bitch-slap her brother.  What a piece of crap he is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »
Just started watching the show. It's really great so far! I'm looking forward to more and I'm even thinking about reading the books now.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
There's an actor named Iain. :biggrin:

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2011, 08:51:55 PM »
The whole series is ruined for me now, good job.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2011, 08:56:01 PM »
I liked some of the "added" stuff in the series, like that monolouge that the swordmaster gives Jon and Sam and that stuff between Jaime and Jhory

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2011, 08:58:28 PM »
The whole series is ruined for me now, good job.

:lol

Edit: Watching the fourth episode now.  When Lord Stark is inquiring into Lord Arryn's death, he makes mention of someone being a eunuch.  I didn't catch the name, who was it?  I would rewind but the video player is taking me back to the very beginning every time I try.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:58:30 PM by Super Dude »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2011, 05:24:58 AM »
Varys, the master of spies.  He's fat and bald and creepy.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2011, 06:26:51 AM »
I wish the series would show more of Daenerys and the Dathraki. I think I find their story most fascinating of all.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2011, 06:35:09 AM »
Dany's stuff is interesting but I'm a fan of Tyrion myself. I also like Jaime after all the character development happens  :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2011, 06:38:31 AM »
Yeah Tyrion is great too. I love those Dathraki though, so much more interesting than those stuffy faux Brits of Westeros.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »
Question.

Thinking of buying an Amazon Kindle to do some more reading, and i'll be interested in picking up A Song of Ice and Fire.

I'm a big fan of fantasy and have read roughly 50 percent of LOTR (stopped for some reason) and i'm really enjoying this TV show.

The only problem is, I found that the LOTR novel was ruined due to watching the movies first. I couldn't quite picture the story as Tolkein intended, due to my memories of Elijah Wood and Vitto Mortensen playing the main characters. In fact, all of the stars from the films.

I have a feeling the same could be said watching A Game of Thrones before/during/after reading the novel. Sometimes I think creating pictures out of books really can do serious damage to the authors work. I have no doubt AGOT is loyal to the books, but will it ruin the experience?
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2011, 03:17:02 PM »
It'll destroy the shock value of the events later in the series.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2011, 03:28:07 PM »
Ratings are going up week by week.  Huzzah!

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2011, 05:14:18 PM »
I don't think reading the books would hinder your enjoyment of the tv series, aside from what XJ said about spoiling all of the plot twists to come.  Books are always the best form of storytelling in my opinion, and while this tv series is fantastic, the books are way better of course- so read them!  :lol  My biggest issue with the LOTR movies v. the books was how drastically some characters differed in their appearance and portrayal.  I have not had that problem with GOT, the casting has been ridiculously perfect and pretty much every character appears and behaves almost exactly as I pictured them from the books.  Jamie & Joffrey's hair should be longer, Ned's should be a bit darker, Robert should be a bit taller and Tyrion could use a goatee or something.  That's about it! 

Offline Summers

« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
I always imagined Hodor to be a gigantic bald guy.  I got a shock in the last episode!  I also pronounced his name wrong  :loser:
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2011, 05:21:59 PM »
 :lol  I always pictured Hodor as that guy from Coach who played Tom Cullen in the old The Stand miniseries (and Marshall's dad on How I Met Your Mother).

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #161 on: May 11, 2011, 01:35:06 AM »

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:45:37 AM by The Degenerate »
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #162 on: May 11, 2011, 09:01:02 AM »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2011, 07:49:07 AM »
Just started the first book. My god it is awesome.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »
Just started the first book. My god it is awesome.

:tup

Book-related discussion/spoilers should go in this thread: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=4956.0

We don't want to spoil anything for the watchers.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2011, 11:43:04 AM »
I just started reading the book too. I've only finished the prologue so far but it looks like it's going to be great!

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2011, 11:45:10 AM »
It only gets better!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »
I'm still kinda confused what happened prior to the shows start, the background story with the crazy king or something? I get that he was the blonde dudes dad and that the blonde dude wants his throne back, and that the "handsome" prince had a hand in it... but thats about all I get haha

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »
This is a really nice resource that explains a lot of the back story and family ties.

Edit: It helps if I post the link

https://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/guide/houses/greyjoy/theon-greyjoy/

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2011, 02:20:29 PM »
It feels weird to have to do research to understand a tv show.... lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »
Here's a basic summary of the backstory you're looking for, Chknptpie.  Spoilers (some of this stuff hasn't been detailed explicitly yet in the TV series, yet) but nothing major.  Safe for non-book readers who want to know more of the backstory:

The Targaryen family ruled the Seven Kingdoms for about 300 years.  The last king was Aerys II, called the "Mad King" because of occasional bouts of madness.  His eldest son, Rhaegar, absconds with Lyanna Stark, Eddard's older sister and Robert Baratheon's betrothed.  

At this point, Brandon Stark, Eddard's oldest brother and betrothed to Catelyn Tully, goes to King's Landing to confront Rhaegar.  Aerys has him and Eddard's father, Rickard, killed, and demands that Jon Arryn turn over his wards Eddard and Robert.  Arryn refuses; he and Robert call his banners.  Eddard marries Catelyn in his brother's place, and musters theirs and his forces.

A bunch of battles are fought between the rebels, led by Robert, and the various Royalist forces that notably don't include those of Tywin Lannister, then the Hand of the King.  At the Battle of the Trident, Robert kills Rhaegar and the Royalist armies more or less dissolve.  Tywin takes King's Landing through deceit and Jaime kills Aerys.

The Queen, with Viserys, had been sent to Dragonstone.  There, she gives birth to Daenerys and dies.  Before the island is captured, Viserys and Daenerys escape across the Narrow Sea and begin their exile.  Robert marries Cersei Lannister after Lyanna dies, and is crowned King.  So basically Viserys feels that he is the rightful King, and that Robert has usurped him and driven him from his home.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2011, 02:34:26 PM »
We need some flashbacks in this show haha thanks for the summary!

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #172 on: May 14, 2011, 02:49:35 PM »
Just ordered a Kindle, looking forward to getting these books and spoiling the TV show for myself  :lol
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
A bunch of battles are fought between the rebels, led by Robert, and the various Royalist forces that notably don't include those of Tywin Lannister, then the Hand of the King.

He was only the Hand in the show, right? I haven't read the books in a while but I thought that Rossart was the Hand of the King by the end of the rebellion.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2011, 04:53:01 PM »
A bunch of battles are fought between the rebels, led by Robert, and the various Royalist forces that notably don't include those of Tywin Lannister, then the Hand of the King.

He was only the Hand in the show, right? I haven't read the books in a while but I thought that Rossart was the Hand of the King by the end of the rebellion.

I think Aerys went through 4 between Tywin and his death.