Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628325 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 09:22:45 PM »
Will this be available online somewhere?

What isn't?
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 09:24:06 PM »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »
Unless one of the international channels airing it puts it online, which I think is unlikely, then I don't think so.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 02:14:23 PM »
Regarding the NYT review:

https://grrm.livejournal.com/210874.html

I usually make it a policy not to comment on reviews, especially negative reviewers. When you put your art out there in the marketplace on public view, some are going to like and some are going to hate it. Comes with the territory. And like Superchicken always said, I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.

Normally, I would not even comment on something as spectacularly wrong-headed and condescending as the review of the HBO series GAME OF THRONES recenltly published in the NEW YORK TIMES. There have been dozens and dozens of reviews of the show coming out all over the place, in newspaper and magazines, on television and radio, and of course on the web. Most, I am pleased to say, have been very good, but of course there are some bad ones as well. C'est la vie.

((Okay, I will confess, it does cheese me when I come across a reviewer who simply hates all fantasy. I had hoped that kind of literary snobbism was extinct, or nearly so. Maybe not.))

But the startling assertion in the TIMES review that women could not possibly like fantasy unless a lot of graphic sex was added to it (??) has prompted me to break my "no comment" rule. At least to extent of this post.

I see this morning that legions of female fantasy readers and self-proclaimed "geek girls" and "scifi chicks" have risen up all over the internet to say all the things that I'm too polite and too busy to say. And a lot more besides. I'd link to their blogs and posts here, but it would take hours. Google will lead you to them, if you're interested. It would seem that so many outraged emails and posts poured into the TIMES that they had to shut down the comments section for the review.

I am not going to get into it myself, except to say
(1) if I am writing "boy fiction," who are all those boys with breasts who keep turning up by the hundreds at my signings and readings?
and
(2) thank you, geek girls! I love you all.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2011, 12:32:50 PM »
Hopefully. Also of interest: Pretty sure there's a (fairly accurate) Game of Thrones comic. And I think there's a Song of Ice and Fire pen and paper game.
The comics are the Dunk and Egg shorts.  Game of Thrones is only just starting, so who knows how accurate it is.  Dynamite does a lot of this kind of stuff, and most of it is not very high quality.  The art of most of their stuff clearly marks them a second rate publisher, plus their focus on outside IP's should squelch most enthusiasm.  If the Dabel Brothers are in charge, there might be hope since many of their works of this kind are pretty good.  However, since they are now under Dynamite their work just isn't as high quality as it used to be.  Look at how they did Jordan's New Spring, pretty good if not outstanding, and now look at what they've done with Eye of the World under Dynamite, pretty lousy.  In my opinion, being with Dynamite means the works will be rushed and suffer in quality.

There is a card game, which I assume you are referring to.  There are also a very good board game with a number of expansions, although it is best with five or six people.  I've played that game countless times, even played it at my bachelor party. :p

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2011, 12:58:35 PM »
Just throwing this out there:  "Winter is Coming" is third place in terms of what the coolest family words are.  Baratheons come in second with "Ours is the Fury", and Greyjoys come in first with the insanely badass "We Do Not Sow."

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2011, 11:04:41 PM »
I just watched The Pilot episode.  Very good, though I think it could've used a bit more exposition. I'm not sure what it would be like for someone who hasn't read the books, but I imagine that it would probably be, at the very least, pretty confusing. I think all the actors pretty much nailed their roles, though Robb and Jon did blur together a bit too much at times.

My biggest gripe? More direwolves. Those direwolf pups were so goddamn cute. I want one now.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2011, 11:08:14 PM »
Just throwing this out there:  "Winter is Coming" is third place in terms of what the coolest family words are.  Baratheons come in second with "Ours is the Fury", and Greyjoys come in first with the insanely badass "We Do Not Sow."

"Hear Me Roar" is, of course, in dead last.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2011, 11:53:39 PM »

"Hear Me Roar" is, of course, in dead last.

Nah.  "Growing Strong" is.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 02:47:04 AM »
OH GOD AMAZING

and I love that title sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGN6cSo9l4E
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2011, 03:06:01 AM »
Hopefully. Also of interest: Pretty sure there's a (fairly accurate) Game of Thrones comic. And I think there's a Song of Ice and Fire pen and paper game.
The comics are the Dunk and Egg shorts.  Game of Thrones is only just starting, so who knows how accurate it is.  Dynamite does a lot of this kind of stuff, and most of it is not very high quality.  The art of most of their stuff clearly marks them a second rate publisher, plus their focus on outside IP's should squelch most enthusiasm.  If the Dabel Brothers are in charge, there might be hope since many of their works of this kind are pretty good.  However, since they are now under Dynamite their work just isn't as high quality as it used to be.  Look at how they did Jordan's New Spring, pretty good if not outstanding, and now look at what they've done with Eye of the World under Dynamite, pretty lousy.  In my opinion, being with Dynamite means the works will be rushed and suffer in quality.

There is a card game, which I assume you are referring to.  There are also a very good board game with a number of expansions, although it is best with five or six people.  I've played that game countless times, even played it at my bachelor party. :p

I actually think I got confused with The Eye of the World. I mix them up a bit every now and then. Haven't really read either and my friends are kind of obsessed with both. And I'd have to say, the current run of Green Hornet (at least with Kevin Smith) is terrific, and that's on Dynamite. Can't say I've read much Dynamite beyond that.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2011, 03:30:20 AM »
where's that praise for that hour of brilliance guys

seriously

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2011, 04:44:55 AM »
I watched, and was very impressed.  And I don't think it was confusing; you just have to pay attention.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2011, 06:11:18 AM »
It annoys me I have no legitimate way of watching this. Damn sky hogging all the good stuff.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2011, 06:16:25 AM »
I read the first 3-4 books (don't remember) 5-6 years ago (maybe more, not sure) but from what I remember of the books they did a very good job with the pilot. The opening scene was just as I imagined it.
Still, giving the Stark role to Sean Bean looks like a waste of his talent. I'm not a very big fan of the books but I will keep an eye on this every now and then - when they cut the crap from the books out, it may become a decent show.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 08:46:28 AM »
I've got a question about the timeline.  I'm a little unsure of how it's supposed to work out.  Some characters are aged up for obvious reasons, most notably Daenerys, who looks like she gets a 3 or 4 year bump.  I can understand why HBO would run into legal problems depicting the rape of a 13 year old girl, but I'm just curious what the age bump does to the rest of the continuity.  For backstory's sake, was she still born at the end of the Rebellion?  Does that make the rebellion take place 16-17 years before the start of the series?  Does this mean that essentially all the other characters, like Jaime who was 17 at the time, get a bump of a couple years too? 

I think the easiest way to remedy the situation is just have Daenerys not born during the end of the Rebellion, but a couple years before.  Simplest way to do it.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2011, 08:56:39 AM »
The easiest way is to just ignore their's an issue.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2011, 09:09:39 AM »
Ok...so...is there no nudity in this at all, because to support the Times, my wife won't watch it if there isn't.....and comparing it to LOTR only turns her off even more.

the Tudors is "ok"...and through two episodes of Camelot...it's pretty weak.

And XJ, i get not downloading music and stuff...but really...it's TV. Just go get it.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2011, 09:16:27 AM »
Ok...so...is there no nudity in this at all, because to support the Times, my wife won't watch it if there isn't.....and comparing it to LOTR only turns her off even more.

the Tudors is "ok"...and through two episodes of Camelot...it's pretty weak.

And XJ, i get not downloading music and stuff...but really...it's TV. Just go get it.
There was plenty of nudity in it.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2011, 09:18:44 AM »
*excellent*

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 09:25:13 AM »
are there any members of Starks family that aren't in this?
holy nepotism batman!

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Summers

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »
It's on tonight in the UK but argh, I really don't know if I want to watch it because I have a tiny standard def TV.  I've been watching all the sneak previews and everything on the net in HD and the visuals are stunning, it'd be a shame to waste them... 
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »
Counting the minutes til the pilot here i the UK. I've been impressed with the clips I've seen so far, and it's years since i read the first one so I've forgotten alot. Probably my favourite fantasy series, taking over from Tad Williams' Memory Sorrow and Thorn trilogy.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 11:45:38 AM »
I've got a question about the timeline.  I'm a little unsure of how it's supposed to work out.  Some characters are aged up for obvious reasons, most notably Daenerys, who looks like she gets a 3 or 4 year bump.  I can understand why HBO would run into legal problems depicting the rape of a 13 year old girl, but I'm just curious what the age bump does to the rest of the continuity.  For backstory's sake, was she still born at the end of the Rebellion?  Does that make the rebellion take place 16-17 years before the start of the series?  Does this mean that essentially all the other characters, like Jaime who was 17 at the time, get a bump of a couple years too? 

I think the easiest way to remedy the situation is just have Daenerys not born during the end of the Rebellion, but a couple years before.  Simplest way to do it.

Seems to me that everybody has had their age bumped up a little bit (Bran is 10 instead of 8, John and Robb are like 17-18 instead of 14-15, even Ned and Catelyn look older than their ages in the books, which were early-mid 30s if I'm not mistaken).  I have no problem with it, like you said it makes all the underage sex a little less creepy.  I'm out of town without a strong internet connection or access to HBO, so I haven't gotten to watch the pilot yet  :'(, but it's on my first things to do list for when I get home tomorrow.  I've read all the books so I already know what happens, I just want to bask in the awesomeness of seeing all my beloved Westeros friends on screen!  Can't wait!

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »
i'm 10 minutes in, two things:

holy surround sound batman
sean bean is horrifically old DDDDDD:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »
DVR'd and will watch this week.  Can't wait.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »
Well that was awesome. I was surprised by the level of nudity and gore, they really are pushing the 18/R rating huh.

I hope it gets enough viewers to go on for a few seasons at least, sean bean is criminally underemployed in relation to his acting talent - his role as boromir was definitely the best of the nine.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2011, 06:03:06 AM »
not a bad show.
Wife and I watched having never read a book...and having never heard a single thing other than this forum and one newspaper review.

The 1st ep wasn't a home run.....but it wasn't bad either.
We'll give it a couple more and see if it gets going.

7/10

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2011, 06:12:35 AM »
It does take a while to get going properly. At least in the book.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »
Renewed for a second season.  Booyah.  No idea how they're going to do the Battle of the Blackwater, though.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2011, 01:04:55 PM »
FUCKIN GREAT!

Oh man, what a fantastic adaptation.   Opening sequence was really nice.

Thank you HBO!  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2011, 01:12:47 PM »
My favourite characters, besides Jaime and Tyrion, are Littlefinger, Tywin, and Renly.  Really excited to see them.  They did a damn good job for casting everyone else.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »
I am going to take a wild guess that the little boy did not die. (that's not a spoiler btw)

Wouldn't make much sense if he did.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2011, 03:41:38 PM »
I am going to take a wild guess that the little boy did not die. (that's not a spoiler btw)

Wouldn't make much sense if he did.

well; I would say in the case for Bran its pretty obvious he didn't.  

However, I would highly recommend against using the same judgement moving forward; you will have some very interesting and unexpected surprises  :hat

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »
My favourite characters, besides Jaime and Tyrion, are Littlefinger, Tywin, and Renly.  Really excited to see them.  They did a damn good job for casting everyone else.

Tywin? really?  How so?

Jamie, Tyrion, Jon and yes... our noble lord Eddard are my favorites.  I respect his ideals, however naive.  And his love and devotion for his wife speaks greatly to me.

EDIT...Guinea, man we should have a NON-SPOILER SoIF thread, and a SPOILER SoiF thread for those who read the books.  I want to expand on some stuff but I dont want to ruin it for others lol.