Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628193 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« on: April 12, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »
So the greatest fantasy book series of all time (yes, better than Lord of the Rings) is being turned into a television series produced and  broadcast by HBO.  There's already a thread about the book series (here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=4956.0 ), but this thread will be about the television series as it unfolds.  I for one have not looked at any publicity or promo stuff, to further whet my appetite.  But for those unfamiliar with the books or interested, here's a good breakdown by Alan Sepinwall and Daniel Fienberg about what to expect: https://www.hitfix.com/blogs/the-fien-print/posts/listen-firewall-iceberg-podcast-no-68

It premieres this Sunday, and then will get replayed about a million times according to HBO's schedule.  The buzz surrounding it so far has been very positive, which makes me speculate that all my fanboy dreams will come true.  The casting, from the names that I know, already seems perfect to me.  Hopefully the rest measures up.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »
So the greatest fantasy book series of all time (yes, better than Lord of the Rings)

wrong.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:39:08 PM »
So the greatest fantasy book series of all time (yes, better than Lord of the Rings)

wrong.

wrong.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 05:03:20 AM »
I haven't read any of the books, but I'm looking forward to this series.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 07:04:16 AM »
From what Sepinwall said about it, for those who haven't read the books it's no more difficult to get into than the other great HBO dramas.  And from what he's seen (6 episodes) he claims that it does to fantasy what Deadwood did to Westerns, and The Wire did to cop dramas, which makes me giddy to no end.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:56:07 AM »
From what Sepinwall said about it, for those who haven't read the books it's no more difficult to get into than the other great HBO dramas.  And from what he's seen (6 episodes) he claims that it does to fantasy what Deadwood did to Westerns, and The Wire did to cop dramas, which makes me giddy to no end.

Well that's certainly some statement.

Pretty much anything HBO spend their money on is gold. Really looking forward to this.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:22:28 AM »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 08:23:53 AM »
It's on my DVR list.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 09:09:34 AM »
Way too early to make that kind of judgment.  Heck, I'm not sure it's even the best current fantasy series I'm reading, which I might tab Bakker's Second Apocalypse as.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »

hef if there's any way you can do it before watching the series, I would recommend reading the books first.  At least the 1st one.  I don't think I read through a novel any quicker than I did A Game of Thrones. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline masterthes

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 01:54:40 PM »
Love the first three books. So excited for this

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »
Likely the thing I'm excited for the most this year. I've been following every bit of information that've been pouring out :lol

Having read both series I definitely prefer A Song of Ice and Fire to Lord of the Rings, but I'm not sure I'd call it better. JRRT was such a brilliant worldbuilder that influenced everything down the line (ASOIAF included), but GRRM certainly makes more interesting characters and more gripping plotlines.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 04:40:50 PM »
I wouldn't judge ASOIAF till it's finished.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 04:45:57 PM »
I was worried about GRRM not finishing the series before, but since ADWD has a release date and is pretty much done (and there's a good number of chapters already written for TWOW), I'm not that concerned anymore. Besides, the reasons for the long gaps between AFFC and ADWD were due to him intending on implementing a five year gap, then scratching that idea and starting over, then running into issues with what he called the Meereenese knot (having to time a bunch of important PoV characters meeting for the first time correctly) and some other bullshit that's all been dealt with. I trust we won't be waiting as long as we did for ADWD for the next two books.

anyway goddamnit this thread is about the TV show someone go bump the book thread linked in the OP

The fifteen minute preview, for those who haven't seen it:

https://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/Fifteen_Minute_Preview/

EDIT: Oh, faemir, completely misread what you said since you edited your post quickly :lol I agree with that.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 04:52:31 PM »
I've read a bit of A Game Of Thrones. Great book. I'm kind of excited for this. I'll probably be borrowing the book from my friend pretty soon.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 04:55:37 PM »
Did I mention that it won't beat lotr anyway? :D

Offline Summers

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »
Really looking forward to the series, been following its progress for ages now.  The only thing is I only have a standard def TV and I want to experience it in HD really, been watching all the sneak previews and trailers on the net in HD and the visuals are just amazing.  Love the sets.  

The casting is also excellent.  Peter Dinklage, who else could you have as Tyrion really, and Maisie looks great as Arya from what I've seen.  Sean Bean, Mark Addy... everyone seems perfect for their roles.  And Cersei... *drool*

Am I right in thinking that there is going to be one season per book?  Or is there going to be more than just AGoT in the first season? 

Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 05:27:19 PM »
Yeah, GoT and probably ACoK (if they get a second season, which is likely) will be one season. I'm thinking if the show's a success and they get to do ASoS they should split it into two seasons.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 06:58:39 PM »
Why?  Networks like to force their shows in premade annual season schedules, but this is cable.  One season can be a very different length than another.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 09:49:38 AM »
I know this is technically a fantasy series, but in all of the stuff I've seen on HBO, it looks a lot like just a medieval setting.  Is there sorcery, monsters, magical items?  Or just a bleak landscape and great characterization?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 09:56:44 AM »
Very little of what would be considered "magical".  In most cases, it's similar to medieval historical fiction.

Offline Summers

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 10:16:34 AM »
Very little of what would be considered "magical".  In most cases, it's similar to medieval historical fiction.

Well, without spoiling too much it does incorporate a lot more fantasy "magical" features as you get further into the series.  I've only read the first two books and I'm a bit into the 3rd.  There are no elves and dwarves or anything like that though, unless they appear later on...   
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 10:31:33 AM »
Magic and the like become more and more prominent as the series moves on.  It isn't the focus of the series, though, and even into the fourth book it is much more low key than in the normal fantasy series.  The series is roughly rooted in some historical wars and politics from the British Isles, and it definitely feels as such when you read.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 10:48:11 AM »
I'd say there's more than a "little" magic, but it's a bit subdued and well done in its execution. Well, I'm including the fantastical elements that aren't really magic spoilers right there -> such as wargs like Bran and Varamyr, Dany's "children", giants and undead, etc. <- spoilers right there , things you'd still only see in a fantasy series

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 01:31:19 PM »

wrong.

It is.  Song of Ice and Fire wonderfully shows the entire spectrum of humanity; from the most horrid of evils to the most noble of good and how often the two overlap.  Martin is not afraid to freely write scenes which strokes the thoughts we avoid because he is exposing humanity's full potential; from the most noble and just men such as Eddard Stark, to the most diabolical and evil such as Gregor Clegane.  It is on HBO because you WILL be exposed to things that will make you shiver.

LoTR is meant for teens and young adults.  It is fine fantasy indeed; but great story telling acknowledges and actively plays with the full depth of a character's mind.  Sam was too unbelievably good and Sauron was too unbelievably bad.  Martin does not make the mistake of idealized characters.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 01:44:40 PM »
Martin does not make the mistake of idealized characters.

I wouldn't call it a mistake, it's more a sign of the times.

Modern fiction, whether fantasy or otherwise has changed. That includes the great movies and TV of our time.

It's just a progression.

I'm sure if Tolkein was alive today and 50 years young he would perhaps have changed his level of writing, too. Martin has the positional advantage, in that sense.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 01:51:24 PM »
Martin does not make the mistake of idealized characters.

I wouldn't call it a mistake, it's more a sign of the times.

Modern fiction, whether fantasy or otherwise has changed. That includes the great movies and TV of our time.

It's just a progression.

I'm sure if Tolkein was alive today and 50 years young he would perhaps have changed his level of writing, too. Martin has the positional advantage, in that sense.

I wouldn't agree.  There have been writers of all ages who are open to the extremes of humanity.  Homer for one.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 07:22:33 PM »
Stopped over at my friends today and picked up A Game of Thrones. I plan on trying to get at least the worth of the first episode by the time I watch it.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 10:33:24 AM »
The New York Times review is  :rollin

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 12:48:45 PM »
Most of the reviews are very positive, and from what I've seen the ones that are not have some... very ridiculous complaints, or just despise fantasy in general and don't say much besides "it's fantasy so it sucks".

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »
The New York Times review is  :rollin

wow, did she base that off a 2-minute preview or something?  Almost nothing she says is true of the tale; I mean its not even up for debate.  Bravehart like hordes? wtf  :lol

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 08:18:43 PM »
Will this be available online somewhere? Like I'll buy it on iTunes, I'm that intrigued.

I heard it was R-rated LoTR (not necessarily better or worse) but it actually seems a little more than R-rated. Would rather watch it now than wait for the DVD in however many months because I'll probably lose interest by then.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 08:45:40 PM »
Hulu, maybe? Does Hulu do HBO shows?

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 08:54:01 PM »
I looked on iTunes, they have some HBO shows like Rome and The Wire, but not the mini-series like The Pacific or John Adams. I don't see any promos for it on there, but I think this is a tv show rather than a mini series so I might be in luck.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
Hopefully. Also of interest: Pretty sure there's a (fairly accurate) Game of Thrones comic. And I think there's a Song of Ice and Fire pen and paper game.