Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628754 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #7665 on: May 26, 2019, 01:07:13 PM »
It's been kinda aggravating dealing with a fucktarded segment of the people who liked this season, a segment that's continuously picking on those who didn't, while those who disliked it for the most part will tell you "I'm glad it worked for ya".
If you think there isn't a segment at least as big of those who disliked the season that are continuously antagonistic to those that did (or even those that aren't absolute and unequivocal in their dislike for it), you haven't been paying attention.

Maybe you and I just hang in different corners of the internet, that's why I said for the most part.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7666 on: May 26, 2019, 04:45:19 PM »

So Jon and beric were brought back from the dead, so death isn't an absolute end in the game of thrones world. What if where ever Drogon takes Dany has red priests and her ass gets resurrected? And then she comes back PISSED...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:50:37 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7667 on: May 26, 2019, 09:09:47 PM »

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7668 on: May 26, 2019, 09:49:22 PM »
 :rollin

btw.....'The Last Watch' was superb.  Seeing the 'read' of the final episode was a treat.  I had read where Emelia Clarke knew of Dany's demise because she would read the scripts when they arrived...Kit (or is it 'KEITH!') Harington never preread a script.  And then they flew on the same plane to the reading, Clarke having to keep her mouth shut the entire way.

Fascinating look behind the scenes.  The 'Snow Man' might have been the MVP with his work, loved the Ice King, and MacLain.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #7669 on: May 27, 2019, 01:55:45 AM »
Also when you say that Dorne was one of the biggest dropped balls in the series, that's one of the reasons why I wasn't desperate for them to give more details about it - after you have the Sands kill off Oberyn's House and then Ellaria ruling Dorne, the ship has kind of sailed on Dorne's politics being consistent with ASOIAF world logic, and dropping a name that's a bit of a reference to the books now isn't going to save it. Dipping back into that storyline, even to ponder how much the new leader they've named makes sense, isn't something I'm keen to do :lol. Give me a new Prince of Dorne, I can assume it's someone from one of the minor houses or a Martell cousin or something, that's enough for me.

Anyway, I'm not meaning to say the Prince of Dorne was a great addition or anything. On its own it doesn't add up to much. But I'm saying that more of the same would've went a long way. Hearing a brief mention of who "the Storm Lords" have sided with or that someone is at least taking them into consideration. Whether or not any Lords from the Reach were still on either Cersei or Daenerys' side after the Tyrells and Tarlys are killed. What the rough status of the Riverlands was after the Freys died - still under control of the Iron Throne, gone over to allies of the Starks, or just in chaos? As with Dorne, I'd appreciate hearing about the lesser houses since I love the rich world of the books and seeing more of that adapted into the show, but the more important thing that was missing for me wasn't the name dropping of Caron and Swann, Rowan and Redwyne, Blackwood and Bracken, but just the sense of a world with more competing interests and consequences.
Really after what they did at Dorne is a no win situation, whatever they did would have reminded us of that big Dorne fiasco. While it is arguably true they need to collapse the story a little, the part that they needed to collapse was already done - all the Starks and all Dany's forces were in one place and playing off against each other, but the rest of the world still exists and everyone else still has their own desires. I think they could have done a step in that direction even by naming the new prince. Or like... just straight up filling us in on where the fuck everyone is in the kingdoms they don't care about during those filler war council scenes  :lol

So Jon and beric were brought back from the dead, so death isn't an absolute end in the game of thrones world. What if where ever Drogon takes Dany has red priests and her ass gets resurrected? And then she comes back PISSED...
Ha, wouldn't that be a sequel! You're right, it is technically possible. It would also explain Drogon's deep intelligent thinking after her death if she went on to live a second life in his body - she loves Jon too much to roast him, but roasts the throne. I always thought that, when Jon and Dany meet in the books, that they will talk about warging and that she will realize she has a skinchanging magic link to her dragons. They really downplayed that aspect of magic in the show, and the books really have Dany just stumbling into the proper mechanics of doing magic (like the blood magic she did to get her dragons, hearing voices at the edge of reality, dragon dreams as opposed to green dreams), so it makes sense if she didn't know she was doing it.

I think if they go for sequels, it would be just Arya's. Maybe in 15 years Kit as Jon Snow can come back as old man Logan, a grizzled King Beyond The Wall, going to the heart of Winter.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 02:43:13 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7670 on: May 27, 2019, 02:39:57 AM »
Well, in my head Drogon flew all the way to Asshai to get Dany resurrected. She'll go "Ah, screw those stupid Westerosi" and go back to Mereen to hook up with Daario and she'll be queen of Mereen again.

I also decided that Cersei survived the crash and spent four days withering in agony with Jaimie dead pressing her down, but sadly they showed Tyrion finding her and so I can't imagine that any longer.  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7671 on: May 27, 2019, 06:37:32 AM »
I also decided that Cersei survived the crash and spent four days withering in agony with Jaimie dead pressing her down, but sadly they showed Tyrion finding her and so I can't imagine that any longer.  :D
I really wish Cersei would have survived and that king Bran in his infinite wisdom decided that she wouldn't get executed. That would really be a twist ending, and a finger in the eye to everyone who wanted her dead. I would have rolled my eyes at Cersei narrowly avoiding disaster once again, but after a while I'd probably love it.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7672 on: May 27, 2019, 08:39:39 AM »
Tried to watch the Season 8 documentary. It was ok. Got bored and turned it off 40 mins in

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7673 on: May 27, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »
Tried to watch the Season 8 documentary. It was ok. Got bored and turned it off 40 mins in

That's a shame; I'm watching it now and I'm about at that point but I'm thoroughly entertained. I eat up all this behind the scenes stuff.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7674 on: May 27, 2019, 04:27:39 PM »
Yeah I dug the documentary. Emilia's reaction to Kit's reaction of him killing Dany was absolutely priceless. Also how Kit got the nickname 'Keet' from the way the Spanish pronounce his name is pure brilliance.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7675 on: May 27, 2019, 04:29:36 PM »
Yeah I dug the documentary. Emilia's reaction to Kit's reaction of him killing Dany was absolutely priceless. Also how Kit got the nickname 'Keet' from the way the Spanish pronounce his name is pure brilliance.

I also liked the sad face she gave Iain Glen when Jorah's death was read at the table read.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7676 on: May 27, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
Yeah, that whole scene was a delight to watch.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7677 on: May 27, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »
I was bored with most of the rest of it. I give full props to the production team, who did incredible work to make the show go, but I couldn't have cared any less as to what they had to say. I wanted to hear more from the cast.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7678 on: May 27, 2019, 06:08:06 PM »
The Last Watch was great, I liked that it showed from the perspective of the crew. The extra with the long beard was already semi-famous on reddit for a few years, you can imagine their surprise and excitement on seeing him prominently featured.

Interesting how they said the production of each episode was like making one movie and by the end of it the producers and stage managers were just ready for it to be done. Seven months to build the King's Landing set is an enormous feat. Just brutal toll on the production crew throughout.
The prosthetic lady was distraught so many times and their reunion with the daughter was heartwarming.

I like that they had a department and manager - Head of Snow.lol he had a very interesting story too.

I think whatever extras we get on the boxset will be cast centric which made sense to make this documentary focus on the crew. I am guessing that will be released around Christmas time.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7679 on: May 28, 2019, 07:36:09 AM »
Watched it. Very fascinating.....it's unreal how much work goes into a show like that. Would LOVE to see more behind the scenes between actors than what they showed us...but I did like seeing the other side of things.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7680 on: May 28, 2019, 08:47:10 AM »
We got about half way through the documentary.  It had some interesting moments and some really boring moments.  We will watch the other half soon.  Yesterday afternoon I watched the final episode for the 3rd time.  It STILL choked me up at multiple points.  I can't remember the last time I re-watched a finale more than once, or was so moved.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7681 on: May 28, 2019, 08:49:32 AM »
The documentary just made me more angry that they did f*%& all with the Night King and didn't even let him use his sword.

But damn every member of the crew was just amazing at their job. The snow guy, the prosthetics team, the hair and makeup people, and especially those who built the sets, I would've loved to walk down that King's Landing set.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7682 on: May 28, 2019, 08:56:50 AM »
The documentary just made me more angry that they did f*%& all with the Night King and didn't even let him use his sword.
This just really confuses me and makes me think they somehow changed the plot of what the last battle was going to be between the casting and the end of the show. They cast the guy because he was a skilled stunt swordsman and then they just don't use him.

Loved this bit so much. Serves Kit right for not pre-reading the end  :biggrin:

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7683 on: May 28, 2019, 09:00:59 AM »
On the actor's Instagram you can see him posing with armor outside the Tower of Joy. He was the one actually fighting with young Ned! (I assume the scenes where Arthur Dayne's face wasn't shown).

I like that they went for a total nobody (due respect to him) for the Night King. They could have gotten anyone, but they went for an unknown actor to symbolize better the abstract menace of the White Walkers. When you watch Voldemort, a little part of you deep down knows you're watching Ralph Fiennes, that Amon Goeth is now a wizard nazi. The Night King is this dude that pops out of nowhere, raises his hands and raises the dead, throws a spear and kills a dragon. Nevermind he gets shanked without even having a proper fight.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online RuRoRul

« Reply #7684 on: May 28, 2019, 09:41:52 AM »
Respect to Vladimir Furdik (who I knew played other White Walkers and was a stunt performer but I didn't realise did the stunt fighting for Arthur Dayne!), but I still have to go for the original Night King played by Richard Brake (a.k.a. Hardhome Night King):

The face just has a menace to it that comes through even through all the make-up and digital effects. I can understand why for a character that's mostly make-up and effects they probably thought it wasn't worth keeping a different actor for close-ups and for physical performance, but I think it could have been worth it. Although I did like Vladimir Furdik's Night King more on The Long Night than in his Season 6 and 7 appearances, thought the menace and personality came through a bit more then.

As for why they went with a stuntman and then there was no big sword fight (which I thought there probably would be), I guess that even the level of physical performance that the Night King did would probably still have required a stunt performer as well as another actor. In Hardhome and in Season 4 the Night King didn't really do anything that required much movement.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:52:35 AM by RuRoRul »

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7685 on: June 13, 2019, 11:04:34 AM »
Does anyone else love the Beautiful Death posters drawn by Robert M. Ball?  HBO hired him to draw a poster for one death (or event) that occurred in each episode for the first 4 or 5 seasons, then kept him on to deliver one per week as the final few seasons aired. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7686 on: June 13, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
Oh yes, I know that site! gotta catch up with the latest episodes!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7687 on: June 13, 2019, 11:40:05 AM »
This is the first time I’ve ever seen them but they do look cool.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7688 on: June 21, 2019, 01:23:24 AM »
I finally watched The Last Watch too. I liked it! maybe it was not gripping all of the time, but it's a nice tribute to all the people working behind the scenes.

Some highlights:

- The lady who was away from her daughter, aww. They brought her in to have a cameo, well deserved!
- Emilia is so lovely and cute and huggable. Sure, the cameras are rolling so she won't act like a cranky bitch even if she felt like it, but still, she was so heartwarming and genuine when discussing stuff with her stylist and the one putting her wig on.
- Dave Nutter seems like a cool guy and a quite efficient director.
- Vladimir Furnik was also adorable. This stuntman who loves more than anything to work to coordinate the fight scenes and be helpful for the actors gets to have a chance in the spotlight and he's unsure of where he should stand, with the crew or with the actors. His broken english makes him also seem even more humble. Loved when he went to check out the fans, asking "do you know who I am?", and got cheered and acclaimed like any other of the protagonists, a symbolic "win" for all the people working behind the scenes.
- The table read.... everyone cheering for Arya (loved "Sandor" pumping his fists for her girl), and Conleth Hill just couldn't be bothered to hide his disappointment at it all, with a zero fucks given somber face. And he threw away his script during Varys' death reading, without even waiting for Emilia Clarke to finish her line.
- Same as this, but in a more lightheartned manner, Vladimir Furnik at a certain point says "so a little girl kills me... how is that possible?" .... yeah, Vlad, we feel you, bro, we feel you. *shakes head and watches Chernobyl for consolation*
- The extra guy, the bearded warrior... wasn't the one made famous by a meme since he was an extra in all the seasons? he was so proud and happy to just be a part of it, at the end he choked up with emotions.
- Also the last scenes for the actors (they showed Vladimir, Emilia, Keeeeet and by extension Davos and Greyworm's characters)... oh, the feels! very emotional for all of them.

Going more on a tangent now, but I wonder how actors don't feel disconnected in shooting scenes out of order, I know they all read the scripts and know what's gonna happen, but to jump from a scene to another without the proper story order.... for example, do you know what Pedro Pascal's first scene as Oberyn was? the wonderful dialogue in the cell with Tyrion when Oberyn offers to be his champion! he comes in on set, and he has to pretend he's lived through it all already! I don't know how actors can do it without the performance suffering, I know it's apples and oranges but it's like, dunno, asking Iron Maiden to start the show with Fear of the Dark and Iron Maiden and pretend it's the climax, or asking DT to perform SFAM, but starting with Home through Finally Free, and then starting again from Regression. And leave Through Her Eyes and The Spirit Carries On for last because the female guest vocalist isn't avalaible until a certain moment.

Anyway, all the people working behind the scenes deserves big applauses for the insane hard job they pulled. I hope they don't take personally all the criticisms of the last season 'cause it's aimed just at the story and not at their wonderful work.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7689 on: June 21, 2019, 01:27:26 PM »
Going more on a tangent now, but I wonder how actors don't feel disconnected in shooting scenes out of order, I know they all read the scripts and know what's gonna happen, but to jump from a scene to another without the proper story order....

I get what you're saying....it seems odd and like it'd be tough to do but the simplest and best and probably most correct answer is "that's their job". they're actors...they're paid to be able to conjur up whatever emotion is necessary at that time. Even if they're asking you to be heartbroken over the death of your sibling that actually hasn't been filmed yet.....you have to be able to do that. That is why those actors/actresses get paid the $$$ they do. It doesn't make sense to us but our jobs probably wouldn't make sense to them either.

Side note:  The show 'Mr. Robot' on USA actually films the scenes in chronological order. I think there are other productions that do so as well. So, it's out there.....but a show of GOT's scale it'd be impossible to do that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7690 on: June 21, 2019, 08:52:00 PM »
Conleth Hill needs to stop being a mark for the character he played and get over it.  His character lasted till the 2nd to last episode. Unreal that he was pissy about that, and about not getting a final scene with Littlefinger before his death at the end of Season 7. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7691 on: June 22, 2019, 01:44:54 AM »
He explained in interviews that he wasn't told before, as it usually happens when your character dies, and he took it personally. I guess one could argue that this was the final season for everyone so there's not much point in saying "you'll no longer be with us" -  well, d'uh, last season, who would have figured?

He's probably also a bit annoyed at how his character was sidelined.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7692 on: June 22, 2019, 07:46:57 AM »
I think it's mostly that. He's talked in interviews about his character hasn't really done anything for 2-3 seasons now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7693 on: June 22, 2019, 08:11:37 AM »
I think it goes without saying that Varys' influence wasn't as strong once he left King's Landing, as he went from being on the small council under the ruler of the seven kingdoms to eventually being one of many trying to help Daenerys take the Throne.  Although he did become one of Dany's main advisors near the end, he was never going to be as important in that regard as Tyrion or Jorah, so it was a natural part of the storyline for his character to take a step back as far as importance went.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7694 on: June 24, 2019, 06:44:16 AM »

Most characters got sidelined at the end too, he probably should just stop bitching, but I do think the actors/actresses may have a point about their characters not getting fleshed out more, but what can you do?  The biggest TV show ever is over, time to move along.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7695 on: June 24, 2019, 06:47:25 AM »
Or maybe he didn't like how the *master of whisperers* who was a Targaryen loyalist for 20 years under Robert Baratheon's nose all of a sudden went "Yo, Jon, my bro, so.... the bitch's kinda crazy, wanna be king?" in plain view of everyone else  :biggrin:

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7696 on: June 24, 2019, 07:48:59 AM »

Most characters got sidelined at the end too, he probably should just stop bitching, but I do think the actors/actresses may have a point about their characters not getting fleshed out more, but what can you do?  The biggest TV show ever is over, time to move along.

I can understand their frustration. I've been on 2-3 year long projects at work that ended up getting scrapped, and despite getting a paycheck, it feels like a lot of my time and work was wasted. It must suck being on a TV like GOT, not having your character get killed, only to not see anything notable come of your work. It's like there was no plan for his character, and they just had to dispose of him in one way or another. I'd be sour as shit too if I were him. I don't think I'd be as public about it, but I'd certainly be pissed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7697 on: June 24, 2019, 08:27:09 AM »
He got a good death scene, though.  Despite the way it went down, Varys and Tyrion, his closest friend, had a nice goodbye, and then his character was shown the courtesy of an off-screen death; we, the viewers, did not see him burn.

I would agree that they probably weren't sure what to do with him once he helped smuggle Tyrion out of the capital, but that was the nature of the storyline. With that many characters, it is natural that some of the supporting characters were going to see their on-screen time and importance ebb and flow.  Heck, even Arya, one of the main characters (if we can, for the sake of argument, call her that, since they were all technically in supporting roles), saw her on-screen time diminish at times in Seasons 5 and 6, and you didn't hear Maisie Williams bitching.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7698 on: June 26, 2019, 04:59:25 PM »
December 3rd is still 5 months away but I for one am super excited to complete my collection with the box set. The limited edition set looks pretty amazing and I'm mulling getting that and just selling the individual seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS0fSCPz1EE

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7699 on: June 26, 2019, 07:19:38 PM »
I might wait a bit until after its initial release for the price to go down, as I am sure it will be pretty costly when first released, but I will get it sooner or later.