Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647075 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #6720 on: May 05, 2019, 08:25:36 PM »
Did not expect that Euron sneak attack again. I thought for sure they would just clean up the rest of the remaining army.

Didn't even think we would have goodbyes from Jon to Sam, Tormund and Ghost.
Another battle episode next by Sapochnik! and this time it wont be in the dark! Can't believe this is the endgame with just two more episodes... and of course that episode was amazing.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6721 on: May 05, 2019, 08:27:15 PM »
Good episode. I have complaints, but I'll save them for now. Let everyone enjoy it.

Though I was amused by the initial close up of Ghost, as if the writers were like "SEE?!?! WE DIDN'T BLOODY FORGET HIM YA TWATS!!"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6722 on: May 05, 2019, 08:27:22 PM »
That was pretty great.  The sneak attack caught me off guard, but having a bunch of ships firing at once at the dragons did not surprise me at all.  I figured if one would bite the dust, that would be the way.  Next week is gonna be bananas.

Online faizoff

« Reply #6723 on: May 05, 2019, 08:31:34 PM »
I have complaints

I do too and they are all related to the number of episodes left. A six episode season with tremendous amount of storylines is just going by too fast. I think it hampers the end results at times, I don't have any issues with whatever storylines they have but it really has no time for setup at all. Barely do you have a setup and then boom something happens and you can't even register at times.

But I'm fine with it. It really can't be helped at this point which only makes it feeling really rushed. I still am loving all of it though.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6724 on: May 05, 2019, 08:33:30 PM »
Did not expect that Euron sneak attack again. I thought for sure they would just clean up the rest of the remaining army.

Didn't even think we would have goodbyes from Jon to Sam, Tormund and Ghost.
Another battle episode next by Sapochnik! and this time it wont be in the dark! Can't believe this is the endgame with just two more episodes... and of course that episode was amazing.

I knew the ballistas were serious weapons but I guess I didn't think about the carnage just one of them could do to a ship. Those bolts are HUGE. Really cool shots of the ships getting obliterated.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online faizoff

« Reply #6725 on: May 05, 2019, 08:35:14 PM »
Oh and favorite conversations in the episode were with Varys. He was being his old self again.

Online Adami

« Reply #6726 on: May 05, 2019, 08:35:35 PM »
Anyone else realize that Dany would have essentially won the war a while ago if not for Euron Greyjoy? Dude keeps messing her up. You'd think she'd learn to stop using ships. It never works out. Ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6727 on: May 05, 2019, 08:37:24 PM »
Anyone else realize that Dany would have essentially the war a while ago if not for Euron Greyjoy? Dude keeps messing her up. You'd think she'd learn to stop using ships. It never works out. Ever.

I think I am looking more forward to his death than Cersei's.  She is at least a formidable opponent; he's just a troll.

Online Adami

« Reply #6728 on: May 05, 2019, 08:39:14 PM »
Speaking of Cersie....she literally could have won the war at the end there. Mostly at least.

Could have killed Dany, that little unsullied group, a dragon and her brother if she wanted. She just let them go instead.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 08:52:12 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #6729 on: May 05, 2019, 09:38:13 PM »
So the episode's name is The Last of the Starks. Interesting title.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6730 on: May 05, 2019, 09:38:19 PM »
That's war etiquette for you. I love it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6731 on: May 05, 2019, 09:57:54 PM »
Loved the episode.....was truly shocked to see Rhagal bite the dust like that....he got smoked!!!!

Loved seeing Varys back to himself.....seems all he needed to hear was that there was someone better than Dany to rule, he’s been keeping a keen eye on her.

At this point I don’t see how effective Drogon can be. Surely Kingslanding is outfitted with hundreds of those crossbolt guns.

Can’t wait for next week
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6732 on: May 05, 2019, 10:02:12 PM »
Solid episode, Dany is borderline rage now, King's Landing is gonna be a bbq soon. Jamie breaking Brienne's heart was just fucked up, thought he'd turned over a new leaf but he's still the same old spineless douche.

Tyrion breaking Jamie's balls over fucking Brienne had to be the best laugh of the series for me..."I finally get to make tall jokes..." :rollin

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #6733 on: May 05, 2019, 10:08:17 PM »
Easily my favorite episode of this season....so far.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6734 on: May 05, 2019, 10:48:24 PM »
Oh and Jamie heading off to Kingslanding.....I think it’s pretty clear he’s heading there to kill Cersi.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #6735 on: May 05, 2019, 11:09:36 PM »
Oh and Jamie heading off to Kingslanding.....I think it’s pretty clear he’s heading there to kill Cersi.

Definitely. That would be kind of poetic.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #6736 on: May 06, 2019, 12:48:20 AM »
why can't Bran (if he is still Bran) warg into Cersei, make her abdicate the throne, then kill herself?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #6737 on: May 06, 2019, 03:52:45 AM »
Aside from the way too acurate massive Crossbows (which became way less acurate when requiring to the much closer Drogon).   This was the best episode of the season - loved the way the happy victory party started to turn sour!

Also shouldn't Euron now know Cersei isn't carrying HIS child if Tyrion knows about the pregnancy?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6738 on: May 06, 2019, 05:22:38 AM »
Also shouldn't Euron now know Cersei isn't carrying HIS child if Tyrion knows about the pregnancy?

I'm sure that'll come into play, they were way to deliberate about showing her during that scene.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6739 on: May 06, 2019, 05:30:46 AM »
I enjoyed the episode, best of the season probably and it started pretty slow and felt like episode 2 again but then we got the payoff, or a payoff, we've been waiting for with the surprise attack and that ending wow, that was powerful.

Online faizoff

« Reply #6740 on: May 06, 2019, 05:53:14 AM »
I see a ton of backlash on the gameofthrones subreddit. Many are valid complaints and at this point I personally think a lot of it stems from having a very short season with a ton of storylines jammed in one episode.

I thought season 7 moved fast but man season 8 is moving at an even faster pace.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6741 on: May 06, 2019, 05:57:25 AM »
Some people are just never happy, and quite frankly, a bunch of crybabies.  "That episode moved too slow." "That episode moved too fast." Whatever happening to just enjoying the show's final season without nitpicking every little thing? 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6742 on: May 06, 2019, 06:05:49 AM »
Some people are just never happy, and quite frankly, a bunch of crybabies.  "That episode moved too slow." "That episode moved too fast." Whatever happening to just enjoying the show's final season without nitpicking every little thing?

+1

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6743 on: May 06, 2019, 06:07:17 AM »
Loved the episode.....was truly shocked to see Rhagal bite the dust like that....he got smoked!!!!

Loved seeing Varys back to himself.....seems all he needed to hear was that there was someone better than Dany to rule, he’s been keeping a keen eye on her.

At this point I don’t see how effective Drogon can be. Surely Kingslanding is outfitted with hundreds of those crossbolt guns.

Can’t wait for next week

Gendry is going to be rage smithing a bunch of dragon armor for Drogon

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6744 on: May 06, 2019, 06:14:48 AM »
I thought this was a decent episode. It had a few bagaboos that kind of pissed me off, but it was decent.   

- Drogon dodging a salvo of ballista shots after 3/3 hits on the other dragon was a little... dumb.
- Jaime did that to Brienne on purpose so she wouldn't follow him. He's trying to keep her safe while he goes to kill Cersei
- Euron now knows the baby isn't his, that could make things interesting
- Fuck Jon for not petting his good boi
- When did Bronn become such a dick?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6745 on: May 06, 2019, 06:16:43 AM »
I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. It was a little up and down in places though. All the political talk between tyrion and Varys was excellent. That's the kind of drama that I eat up.

The 2nd dragon death was bs. With an arial viewpoint, how the fuck did she not see those ships? In order to fire a bolt directly at something, you have to be in the target's view. Its war time ffs, And after losing one dragon already, she should be hyper vigilant to ANY threat. Also, dragons are supposed to be very intelligent and probably would have moved out of the way. I just don't see that happening so easily. Were they seriously not expecting ANY type of ambush? How about scout out the area? Jesus. And did no one think of cross bolts when aegon the conqueror dominated the continent? Makes the dragons a non-threat.

Also, they are all dead and beat down in the water, why not just kill them right then and there?

I loved when they said "The best ruler may be the one that doesn't want to lead". Makes a lot of sense.

Dany's inpatient's almost cost her the war. All her advisors were like Yo, we just got our asses handed to us by the dead like 5 mins ago and you want to attack king's lands like right now?, are you on crack? Let your troops heal and re-couperate. God damn. They even were talking about more and more people pledging loyalty to her. Just let Cersie starve for a while. Her own people will topple her and you DON'T lose a 2nd dragon...

and I would bet that if it looked like she would lose, Cersie would use the wildfire to destroy the entire city.

also, just a little fun goof. Someone left their starbucks cup out, lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #6746 on: May 06, 2019, 06:21:17 AM »
I enjoyed the episode, best of the season probably and it started pretty slow and felt like episode 2 again but then we got the payoff, or a payoff, we've been waiting for with the surprise attack and that ending wow, that was powerful.

Agreed!

Sadly, the show is now in a place that will be difficult to climb out of. The internet hate train has left the station and probably cannot be stopped. I don't know if it is going to reach Star Wars levels, but people are getting more and more grumpy every week. I am expecting a highly controversial next couple of weeks, to say the least. :coolio
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6747 on: May 06, 2019, 06:32:36 AM »
I must say, as much as I am annoyed with Sansa being so bitchy and anti Dany, but I am enjoying that one major storyline this season of Jon being a targ and the spreading of it.  I feel like Jon is so righteous here and trying to do it all right, but with Dany on end and Sansa on the other, it looks like it might tear them apart. 

And Varys, where's he been all this time?  The realm!  Haven't heard that come up in awhile it feels like.  He gave Dany the ultimatum too essentially during the war consoul.  He promised to never stab her in the back and to bring up his concerns to her face, which he did, and not is plotting against her.  I like it a lot.  However, i think Tyrion needs to stomp on it if he were a good hand.  Sorry, but that treason is way too serious and Varys was way too honest.  He should lose his head for that conversation even if it was mostly in good spirits, but we all know Varys is just so powerful and seems to get things his way eventually. 

I thought it sucked Tormund is going back north.  Personally, I think Dany shouldn't allow it.  She needs everyone and she did save the northerners, anyone able to fight should help them in the south before returning home.  Also, he's a great character, I don't want that to be the end of him.

WTF Bronn.  I didn't expect him to kill the brothers, but I thought he'd be a little nicer but I guess he's trying to show he is serious here and only care about one thing.  I guess they made their point with that scene.

That was an epic beheading, with the body falling off the wall too and the puddles of blood behind them at the end.  Plus Cersei's crazed look.  I feel like this is where the show does things the best.  The tension. Also, I don't get why she just didn't finish them off there.  Sure it's TV so they can't do that, but given they already broke the wedding rules and are going to off Missandai's head, why not just go all the way and end it there?  I'm surprised Cersei has any ounce of humanity in her.

I don't know why Euron didn't just finish off the survivors of the fleet.  Totally seems like something pirates would do, but maybe with their captive and the death of a dragon, they felt they were comfortable to go report back?

I did feel the partying dragged a bit, a lot of those scenes felt like fan fiction again, just writing stuff to make the fans happy but not really progressing the story in any meaningful way besides getting Brienne and Jaime to bang, although I enjoyed the call back to the drinking game.  Gendry's scene was good too, getting recognized and all but then getting dumped by Arya.  I wonder if there is more to those two or thats it between them.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6748 on: May 06, 2019, 06:46:40 AM »

Agreed!

Sadly, the show is now in a place that will be difficult to climb out of. The internet hate train has left the station and probably cannot be stopped. I don't know if it is going to reach Star Wars levels, but people are getting more and more grumpy every week. I am expecting a highly controversial next couple of weeks, to say the least. :coolio

This has been the most annoying thing about the season. Get over it. Seriously. We all knew the last two seasons were shortened.....we don’t like it but we knew it......who cares ‘why’ they were shorter....they are, that’s that.

You can nit pick the writing all you want and say it’s dumbed down now and the nuances of Martins writing have vanished....certainly valid....but it’s still a great show and folks bitching about this and that show just how spoiled ‘we’ are with technology and all the content available today.

Raise your hand if you needed to see three or four more episodes of conversational foreplay between JAmie and Brianne before they shagged? Anyone need to watch a few episodes more of Sansa brooding over Jon being a Targaryn before she told someone? I mean, sure....give us (10) episodes and they can really flush things out and spoon feed it all to us. But I suspect there’s no amount of episodes that will make certain sects of this fan base happy....congratulations GOT fans you’re now members of elite company along with the Star Wars fans who can find any and everything to whine about instead of just enjoying an F’n show for what it is. It’s very simple....you don’t like it any longer ...don’t watch it.

Online Adami

« Reply #6749 on: May 06, 2019, 07:07:07 AM »
So before I keep posting here, are we saying that this is no longer a discussion thread and is solely a praise thread? That criticisms are now just spoiled fans who hate everything?

Is the show so fragile? Or your love of the show so fragile that criticism threatens to completely ruin it for you?

If we're to the point of only saying positive things about this show and having to swiftly discredit anyone who has criticism, then I guess that's where we are. Unfortunate though. Hopefully not the case.

I don't see anyone coming in here and just trashing the show. I see people who love the show and like it less now but still enjoy it. I don't see why anyone who isn't at least 90% on board should be shunned.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 07:12:21 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online kaos2900

« Reply #6750 on: May 06, 2019, 07:20:16 AM »
I thought it was a great episode with great writing.

I don't have a problem with criticisms but I think the amount of complaining about the show both here and everywhere is ridiculous. It's not a perfect show but it's still on of the best things on TV. It's a sad state of the world when "fans" are overly bitching on a weekly basis. This has really annoyed me lately. Whether it's about Endgame or Star Wars or whatever. People must be really unhappy to rage about fake shit.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6751 on: May 06, 2019, 07:21:50 AM »
Of course not, Adami. But IMO the level of whining about the show has reached new heights this season and it's ridiculous. Also, there are a lot of good arguments from the people with criticism, but there are just as many to explain those perceived flaws. Furthermore, "flaws" do not equal "trash." What I push back on are the criticisms that the show is suddenly "hot garbage" because of some flaws. Every single show has flaws.

I don't really see any big problems with last night's episode, that's the thing. But I went online to check Reddit and it was literally nothing but "this show sucks" "the writing is so awful" "wtf is this shit?!" "these writers fucking suck thanks for ruining the greatest television show in history and making it the worst show ever" The hyperbole is RIDICULOUS.

Like the complaints about Euron's ballista accuracy. I don't see the problem with that. It was a clear day, the fleet would see that thing coming far enough in advance to ready the bolts. Dany is only one person on one dragon, the fleet has probably hundreds of eyeballs.

Online Adami

« Reply #6752 on: May 06, 2019, 07:29:51 AM »
Well first, you seeing no problems when other people do can lead to great discussion as long as both parties are respectful.

I don't see many problems with the MCU, but some people think most of those movies are complete trash. Such is life.

And I'll tell you the same thing I tell Stadler, if you have issues with extremists on different websites, deal with them, don't bring that frustration here where I don't see anyone making those claims.

I have big problems with the writing, as I have made clear, but I don't think the show is garbage. Why the hell else would I get excited to watch it every Sunday night? We don't have any trolls that i can see here on DTF. But for people like me, who have valid criticism, even if you disagree and don't see it, when you guys come in here and start bashing people who criticize the show because of what you read elsewhere, it sounds a lot like "If you don't have anything positive to say, then shut the hell up!"

You know? I want to be able to talk about how bad the writing is in my perspective. But also how amazing the acting is. How fantastic some of the directing is. Weird theories we all have. Silly theories we all have (or maybe that's just me) etc. I don't want to come in here to multiple paragraphs over multiple posts about how everyone who has complaints is a spoiled "hater" who just wants to ruin everything. That is very much the case elsewhere, but not here.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6753 on: May 06, 2019, 07:35:25 AM »
But can't we all just see that the high level of dislike is for a reason?  The show is botching major storylines.  I do think there's an aspect of "not meeting the fan created theories" but a lot of it is flat out bad storytelling and a quick ending.  I think it's totally fair to point these out.  I don't see anyone shitting on the show, most of it is constructive criticism in discussion, not bashing.  It sucks for those who have an non stop love for the show to read all the criticisms, but I don't think anyone here is really out of line or trying to bring down the experience for others.

Having said that, I'm kind of surprised with so much hate though for the last episode as I thought the second half of the episode was top notch GOT material.  Sure, there's plenty of things to criticize, but I thought at least overall, this was a return to what I expected GOT to be like.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6754 on: May 06, 2019, 07:35:44 AM »
Why can't I/we bring up the reaction on other websites when it's part of a discussion about the consensus of the episode by the fanbase, which those other websites are part of? I've never used those sites as a barometer for opinions here, so I think that's fair discussion. Also I've never once implied any of what I wrote was directed to you so stop taking it personally please. I also never called the show perfect. But perhaps maybe I just want to talk about the good and cool things right after the episode premiered instead of taking it down a peg

Personally I don't think the writing is bad. Last night's episode made sense. Maybe I'm just the adult equivalent of a baby being amused by shiny keychains, but I still had fun, so whatever. I'll take my happy thoughts and keep them to myself so the critiques can have their time in the spotlight  :hat