Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628445 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #6230 on: April 15, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »
As far as the reveal to Jon that he's in fact a Targaryn and the rightful heir to the throne....same sentiment. I'd have liked to see that happen in a more impactful environment....being revealed to more than just Jon in the moment.

I'll trust it'll all work its way out in the end but those two moments deserved to be something more grand scale IMO.

Weren't Ned's last words to Jon "Next time we see each other, we'll talk about your mother"? Jon was told in front of his statue in the crypts.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6231 on: April 15, 2019, 11:56:26 AM »
As far as the reveal to Jon that he's in fact a Targaryn and the rightful heir to the throne....same sentiment. I'd have liked to see that happen in a more impactful environment....being revealed to more than just Jon in the moment.

I'll trust it'll all work its way out in the end but those two moments deserved to be something more grand scale IMO.

Weren't Ned's last words to Jon "Next time we see each other, we'll talk about your mother"? Jon was told in front of his statue in the crypts.

That's pretty neat. Again....I didn't mind the two moments, they were handled just fine........it's one of those instances where I had convinced myself both those moments would have been handled differently than they were.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6232 on: April 15, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »

That's pretty neat. Again....I didn't mind the two moments, they were handled just fine........it's one of those instances where I had convinced myself both those moments would have been handled differently than they were.

Yeah, I hear you.

I'm torn about the dragon riding thing, tbh. I mean, had the first time Jon gotten on the dragon been in a critical moment, like a battle or something, I would have been complaining about how he was able to fight on the back of a dragon having never ridden one before. I actually expected Jon to ride one of them in private. Like he would just walking about one night, unable to sleep, and then one of the dragons would seek him out and let him get on, in the process also realizing that the only way that's possible is because he's blood. I thought both moments would have been one in the same, if that makes sense.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6233 on: April 15, 2019, 12:21:22 PM »

Yeah, I hear you.

I'm torn about the dragon riding thing, tbh. I mean, had the first time Jon gotten on the dragon been in a critical moment, like a battle or something, I would have been complaining about how he was able to fight on the back of a dragon having never ridden one before. I actually expected Jon to ride one of them in private. Like he would just walking about one night, unable to sleep, and then one of the dragons would seek him out and let him get on, in the process also realizing that the only way that's possible is because he's blood. I thought both moments would have been one in the same, if that makes sense.

I think the only thing that really 'bothers' me about the way it happened is that moment was a bit too 'bachelor' for me.....the romantic getaway date  :lol  The entire vibe of the scene was way too happy for GOT....but again, I think they were going for a chance to show just how much those two care for one another now. Like you said....had he just hopped on Rhaegal out of nowhere and started to ride him into battle that'd have been odd. At least now it'll seem more 'realistic' when/if he mounts him to go into battle.

But I did think they did a good job of showing a bit of emotion in Rhaegal when he gazed at Jon snow. I'm going to re-watch that later tonight but even before Jon climbed aboard Rhaegal was giving him an approving look to where he knew that Jon was Targaryn and it was 'all good' for him to climb on.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6234 on: April 15, 2019, 12:22:33 PM »
^^ The green one that Jon rode is Rhaegal. The red one looking at Jon is Drogon. Viserion is the dead one ;)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6235 on: April 15, 2019, 12:24:32 PM »
^^ The green one that Jon rode is Rhaegal. The red one looking at Jon is Drogon. Viserion is the dead one ;)

Oh yeah....that's right. Duh. I had Viserion on my mind from a different text thread I have going with my buddies.  :tup

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6236 on: April 15, 2019, 01:19:13 PM »
All I needed to know it was back was the first dialogue of the season being Tyrion making eunuch jokes about freezing balls.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6237 on: April 15, 2019, 01:34:29 PM »
I think it was last season where someone asked Tyrion why he makes eunuch jokes and the exchange was:

Tyrion: I make eunuch jokes, he makes dwarf jokes.

Varys: I do not make dwarf jokes.

Tyrion: You think them.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6238 on: April 15, 2019, 01:52:09 PM »
I was okay with the episode but was not blown away. We'll see what happens in the next few.

One moment that really had me rolling was when just after the dragons started flying together, with Jon and Dany on their backs, my son-in-law starting singing the opening lines to "A Whole New World."  :lol
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:20:04 PM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6239 on: April 15, 2019, 03:12:46 PM »
Finally saw it. Solid episode through and through, no complaints at all from me. Yes, if we think long and hard enough, we can find something to nitpick about (for example Theon finding Euron's ships as discussed above), but all things considered it was a very nice episode. Too bad there are only five left - but I guess an introductory episode, even with such a short running time, has to happen.

Some random musings here and there:
- Sansa's becoming a little bit of a bitch. She has all the reasons of course but damn, now I'd be afraid to look her in the eye if I'd cross her way.
- Dany putting her to her place... "What do dragons eat anyway?" "Whatever they want". Ouch.
- Poor Sam. Great emotional moments for the character, you wish you could give him a hug.
- Glad that Jon's first reaction to the reveal wasn't "wait, so you're telling me I just fucked my aunt?"
- JESUS FUCKING CHRIST THE UNDED UMBER KID OH MY GOD I WON'T SLEEP TONIGHT. Creepy, creepy, unsettling moment!
- In every other fantasy movie or series, the two heroes would ride away on horses to have their romantic getaway. In Game of Thrones, they use dragons  :lol
- "The dead have breached the Wall". "Good". Goddammit Cersei, to quote what once Yara said about Theon, "Are you the dumbest cunt alive?"
- Bronn is totally gonna flip on Cersei and side with Jaimie and Tyrion, right? ......right?
- Totally underwhelmed by the reveal that Viserion is now an undead dragon. I hoped it would have been a huge moment, something like a shriek in the cold night and Dany going FFFFUUUUUU, but basically Bran spoiled it like any random WesterBook user, "oh, the Dead have come through and they've got your dragon. Welcome to Winterfell". I guess it was only inevitable, the survivors at Eastwatch-by-the-Sea would have sent a raven-telegram "DRAGON TORE DOWN WALL, ARMY OF THE DEAD MARCHING". So it was inevitable that it couldn't have been a secret.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6240 on: April 15, 2019, 03:29:19 PM »
Not a Spoiler (*Edit* This actually is kind of a spoiler)

Make sure you have your volume on.

https://v.redd.it/t9gl79w5ics21

:rollin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:48:49 PM by Chino »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6241 on: April 15, 2019, 03:32:24 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6242 on: April 15, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »
Not a Spoiler

Make sure you have your volume on.

https://v.redd.it/t9gl79w5ics21

:rollin

That is awesome.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6243 on: April 15, 2019, 03:56:41 PM »
I enjoyed that episode more than all of season 7. Kind of had the feel of the early seasons.

And did Cersai make more zombie knights?

And Braun with the chicks and Qybern was like "that girl will die of the pox in a year" and Braun is like "which girl"  :rollin
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:38:25 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6244 on: April 15, 2019, 08:37:25 PM »
That was a classic Braun line for sure  :lol

It was also great to see Arya and the Hound together again, I always felt they had the best chemistry of any two characters, and their earlier interplay was some of my favorite parts of the show. I truly hope they have more time together, they are two of a kind in my eyes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6245 on: April 15, 2019, 09:02:11 PM »

- Poor Sam. Great emotional moments for the character, you wish you could give him a hug.

That was the best scene of the episode.  It was crushing to see his reaction, and the performance by all three actors in that scene was phenomenal.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6246 on: April 16, 2019, 01:10:09 AM »
Great first episode! The dragon flying scene was stretching it a bit, but I’m thinking that they were showing us Jon and Dany all loved up, as it’s gonna be all downhill from here. That’s probably why we got the big reveal so soon.

Great to see the Hound and Arya have a scene together. I hope there will be more to come.

Do we think Bronn is going to carry out his assignment, or does he have a shred of loyalty in his whole body? Can’t see either him or Tyrion lasting the full season.. :)

Oh, and the look on Jaime’s face when he recognised the boy he pushed out of the window!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6247 on: April 16, 2019, 01:16:30 AM »
Bran's probably gonna be chill about it. He's so caught up in his Three-Eyed-Ravenness that he would probably reply with a vacant stare "well... all things happen for a reason... I can see so many things now... btw dude did you really have to bang your sister next to the corpse of your son?"

It's Dany's reaction to meeting Jaimie, and how Jaimie will respond, that I look forward to.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6248 on: April 16, 2019, 06:36:40 AM »
Do we think Bronn is going to carry out his assignment, or does he have a shred of loyalty in his whole body?

I don’t think there’s anyway Bronn kills either of them. Just don’t see it happening. That’d be the shocker of all shockers if he actually killed either of them.

Another thing that was mentioned on the ‘behind the episode’ was that Targaryn’s are the only ones who can ‘fly’ dragons. So, that scene with Jon flying Rhaegal was also meant to help solidify (in his and Dany’s eyes) that Jon is a Targaryn when it’s finally revealed to Dany....and I guess everyone else.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6249 on: April 16, 2019, 06:42:11 AM »
Do we think Bronn is going to carry out his assignment, or does he have a shred of loyalty in his whole body?

I don’t think there’s anyway Bronn kills either of them. Just don’t see it happening. That’d be the shocker of all shockers if he actually killed either of them.

"Listen to me, cunt. 'Til I get what I'm owed, a dragon doesn't get to kill you. You don't get to kill you. Only I get to kill you!" 

Jamie better deliver that castle quick  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6250 on: April 16, 2019, 06:43:36 AM »
Let's also keep in mind that it has been publicy made known that Lena Headey and Jerome Flinn can't stand each other, to the point that they don't want any scenes together, so unless they somehow reconciled or at the very least stopped to hate each other, you're not gonna see Bronn delivering Tyrion's head to Cersei.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6251 on: April 16, 2019, 06:49:05 AM »
Let's also keep in mind that it has been publicy made known that Lena Headey and Jerome Flinn can't stand each other, to the point that they don't want any scenes together, so unless they somehow reconciled or at the very least stopped to hate each other, you're not gonna see Bronn delivering Tyrion's head to Cersei.

Pretty sure HBO's stance on that would be something along the lines of "We don't care about your shit. Here's the script. Follow it or you will be sued for breach of contract". Then again, now that I'm trying to think of one, I can't think of a single scene that they were together in.

What's their deal anyway? This is the first I'm hearing of it.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6252 on: April 16, 2019, 06:58:21 AM »
All that has been told is that they were in a relationship and they had a bad breakup.

They have ONE scene together - but they're not interacting. Bronn is part of the delegation that comes to fetch the queen when the High Sparrow was running things, Cersei obviously told everyone "Screw you, I have the undead Mountain with me" and they all walked away. They were present in the scene but Bronn and Cersei didn't talk.

And yes, I agree that they're both actors and that they should not dictate such terms and, you know, act. You can pretend you love someone, you can as well pretend you don't love someone. Hell, Cersei hates everyone anyway so Lena shouldn't even have to pretend.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6253 on: April 16, 2019, 06:59:55 AM »

Pretty sure HBO's stance on that would be something along the lines of "We don't care about your shit. Here's the script. Follow it or you will be sued for breach of contract". Then again, now that I'm trying to think of one, I can't think of a single scene that they were together in.

I believe it is in their contracts to not be in the same scenes together.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6254 on: April 16, 2019, 07:01:53 AM »
I never noticed this, but that's kind of lame although I guess if I haven't even noticed then it's not a big deal other than kind of being a spoiler now knowing they won't be in a scene together.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6255 on: April 16, 2019, 07:01:58 AM »
All that has been told is that they were in a relationship and they had a bad breakup.

They have ONE scene together - but they're not interacting. Bronn is part of the delegation that comes to fetch the queen when the High Sparrow was running things, Cersei obviously told everyone "Screw you, I have the undead Mountain with me" and they all walked away. They were present in the scene but Bronn and Cersei didn't talk.

And yes, I agree that they're both actors and that they should not dictate such terms and, you know, act. You can pretend you love someone, you can as well pretend you don't love someone. Hell, Cersei hates everyone anyway so Lena shouldn't even have to pretend.

Yeah, that was on my mind too  :lol

When Qybern came in and was like "Cersai wants..." I was like "uh-oh, they are gonna be in the same room together for a scene". This should be interesting, but they were able to get around it.

I see him joining the north.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6256 on: April 16, 2019, 07:16:54 AM »

I believe it is in their contracts to not be in the same scenes together.
It is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6257 on: April 16, 2019, 07:19:48 AM »
I never noticed this, but that's kind of lame although I guess if I haven't even noticed then it's not a big deal other than kind of being a spoiler now knowing they won't be in a scene together.

Imagine if the women who plays Cersei had it in the contract that she'd only do a scene with him if it involved her killing him  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6258 on: April 16, 2019, 07:21:51 AM »
I enjoyed that episode more than all of season 7. Kind of had the feel of the early seasons.

And Braun with the chicks and Qybern was like "that girl will die of the pox in a year" and Braun is like "which girl"  :rollin

I haven't a clue, but this post just made me think of something... Isn't the mountain technically dead? Could the Night King turn him on Cersei?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6259 on: April 16, 2019, 07:31:19 AM »
That's a good point. I could definitely see that coming into play at some point. Cersai's trump card being turned into an achilles heel, when the night king takes hold of him. Could be pretty interesting.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6260 on: April 16, 2019, 07:39:31 AM »
I'd say it's more likely that Cersei is dispatched by one of her own. My money's on Jaime.

I'm hoping they're saving the Mountain for a Clegane vs Clegane showdown. It's bound to happen, surely?? (If it doesn't, I'm throwing something at the TV..  :lol)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6261 on: April 16, 2019, 07:57:09 AM »

Imagine if the women who plays Cersei had it in the contract that she'd only do a scene with him if it involved her killing him  :lol

That would be pretty epic now knowing their personal history

I haven't a clue, but this post just made me think of something... Isn't the mountain technically dead? Could the Night King turn him on Cersei?

Hmmm, I do wonder if maybe Qybern was building his own dead army.  Maybe that's a reason why Cersei is a bit more comfortable than everyone else with the dead rising, she's been doing it herself for awhile.  But I'm not sure the Night King could control him if he didn't turn him or turned via one of his wights.  Maybe, just not sure how that works but my immediate thought is no, he wouldn't be able to control him and he doesn't have the walker blue eyes.  Maybe even though he is dead, if he were touched he could still be turned into one though.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6262 on: April 16, 2019, 08:04:54 AM »
But I'm not sure the Night King could control him if he didn't turn him or turned via one of his wights.  Maybe, just not sure how that works but my immediate thought is no, he wouldn't be able to control him and he doesn't have the walker blue eyes. 

The White Walkers can turn any dead being into a wight.  It's why the Night's Watch always burns the dead bodies. 

I'd guess that since the mountain is now undead, he can't be turned. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6263 on: April 16, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »
Benjen was undead as well, but the Night King or White Walkers couldn't control him at all. So you're probably right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6264 on: April 16, 2019, 08:11:37 AM »
I think it would be most fitting if a Stark killed Cersei, to finally truly avenge Ned.  Arya doing it wearing someone else's face would be bad ass.