Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628256 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #6020 on: February 14, 2019, 09:39:36 PM »
ok I think it could be fun. again I know NOTHING about it but hype. so yes virgin

Speaking of personal experience,  I started watching the show  just before season 3 was about to air live. I didn't get what all the fuss was about, I mean yes it was good, but it wasn't this phenomenal amazing show that everyone seemed to be raving about. Season 1 was good, season 2 was good, season 3 was ... OMG HOLYSHITWHATTF  :eek :omg: .... and then season 4 was when I truly got hooked into the show and I think it was really worth the wait. The first 3 seasons are amazing world building series and are very important to tell the overall story and direction it was headed.
If you enjoy dialogue driven shows with many character developments occurring over long stretches of the show, you will enjoy it. I would love to hear your thoughts as you are watching and any speculation you make. I think I've already seen this show 6 times front to back already. And have all the books... and audiobooks... and all season soundtracks... and all the season bluray boxsets.. ;D if you can't tell, I'm a fan of show.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6021 on: February 15, 2019, 05:33:26 AM »
Watched the first 5 episodes. I kind of see that they are setting up for the bigger picture. So I get it that it is a little slow but that is fine. Nothing mind blowing yet.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6022 on: February 15, 2019, 05:50:48 AM »
Hoping to finish season 1 and 2 today

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6023 on: February 15, 2019, 06:49:28 AM »
I’m through season 6. Just Season 7 to go. Probably going to wait a week or two to dig into that one.

This re-watch has been awesome. What I did notice is that the Arya being trained as a Faceless man was far less boring to watch being that I was binge watching the episodes rather than having to wait a week.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6024 on: February 15, 2019, 06:52:10 AM »
This re-watch has been awesome. What I did notice is that the Arya being trained as a Faceless man was far less boring to watch being that I was binge watching the episodes rather than having to wait a week.

Yeah, time flies so fast with the benefit of binge watching.

Spoilers (for The Trooper, quit reading now) from season 3 which I'm about to finish: it seemed to me that Jon's adventure with the wildlings lasted forever, but in reality it was pretty straightforward - he got captured by the wildlings, got introduced to Mance, told to climb the Wall, climbed the Wall and defected at the first chance.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6025 on: February 15, 2019, 07:43:13 AM »
Home fries, bacon, eggs with hot sauce and starting my binge :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6026 on: February 16, 2019, 04:58:21 AM »
As for me, I'm finished with my season 3 rewatch, I'm watching a season every other week.

Some "now that I know it" considerations, obviously TROOPER AND ANYONE ELSE WHO HASN'T SEEN SEASON 3 AND FORWARD QUIT READING.

---------

- Totally forgot that Qyburn's first appearance was among the wounded survivors of Harrenhall.
- Poor, naive, afraid Sansa: in blurting out to Olenna (all hail Olenna) and Margaery that Joffrey was a major asshole, he set the first step of her revenge, with Olenna deciding Joffrey had to be taken out. You helped avenge your father, Sansa, and you didn't even know it back then!
- Some misdirection about Ramsay's identity: Robb received news that "when the bastard of Bolton arrived at Winterfell, everyone was gone and the place was in ruins". D'uh. He's the one who caused all of that in the first place. Also, a clever hidden reveal when Ramsay pretends to free Theon, and then kills one by one his pursuers: the last one before dying says in hateful contempt "you little bastard", it was not just an insult, but a proper definition.
- Classic moment: Jaimie Lannister getting his hand chopped off, and then the moshpit starts with the punk version of The Bear and the Maiden Fair  :metal
- Another classic moment: Daenerys going all Dracarys in Astapor, kicking all kind of possible asses. I guess we all agree this is one of the best "HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT WAS AWESOME" moments of the series!
- Edmund Tally is one of the worst idiots of the show. He first appears failing to hit his uncle's funeral ship with flaming arrows (which the Blackfish manages to do at the first try without even looking if he had actually shot right, he knew he did - badass), and then does a major screwup conquering a mill the Mountain was holding, which results in:
1) The Mountain not being captured and killed, which would have left Cersei without an unbeatable champion, and Oberyn Martell therefore surviving;
2) 200 men lost, adding to the discontent and sense of not being able to make it to Robb's army;
3) The capture of the Lannister boys that got killed in retalation, prompting Robb to execute the old Karstark (well, his decision, but still...) and losing all of the Karstark bannermen.

WHAT A DICK. He almost single-handedly lost the war for Robb with a single reckless attack. And in turn he both got laid and survived at the Red Wedding.

- Speaking of the Red Wedding... I guess that Roose Bolton allowing Jaimie Lannister to go back to King's Landing was a HUGE red flag about his alliances. Probably it was masked well enough for non book readers because he refused to release Brienne, charging her with treason and therefore showing some kind of loyalty to Robb, and anyway he was an enigmatic character enough, seen rarely, to have people go "yeah, whatever" at his choices. But still, with the benefit of knowledge, that was veeery suspicious.
- All the pain and grief that the Red Wedding brought was discussed at length, so I'll just point out a small comical moment: when Edmund sees his bride, sees she's smoking hot, and Walder looks at Robb with a smirk that says just with the eyes "See, asshole, what you missed out?".... you could almost like Walder there if not for, you know.... *remembers The Rains of Castamere starting to play* *cuddles up and tries not to cry* *cries a lot*

Anyway, the Red Wedding qualifies as "most exciting Dothraki wedding ever"  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:09:43 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6027 on: February 16, 2019, 08:53:34 AM »
Finished season 2. Going to start 3 and hopefully finish today.

I'll be honest, it feels like they are still setting up ALOT of things. It is keeping my interest. Nothing mind blowing yet so I am hoping to get to that point.  Going to binge again until my Vols take on Kentucky tonite in college b ball.

Go Rocky Top!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6028 on: February 16, 2019, 09:07:35 AM »
Finished season 2. Going to start 3 and hopefully finish today.

I'll be honest, it feels like they are still setting up ALOT of things. It is keeping my interest. Nothing mind blowing yet so I am hoping to get to that point.

By the end of this season you will be forever hooked on this show.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6029 on: February 16, 2019, 09:10:08 AM »
Giggity now. Thanks bro

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6030 on: February 16, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »
Nothing mind blowing yet so I am hoping to get to that point. 

Careful what you wish  :P

So far which ones are your favorite characters?

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6031 on: February 16, 2019, 10:07:32 AM »
Tyrion (S/P) seems a bit to be about himself and will fuck over anyone.

Jon Snow is interesting. I am going to assume a major role.

What I am actually amazed by is the , guessing subplots that I assume will fully show themselves as it goes on.

Solid writing, dialogue is great. Dialogue goes a long way with me. What made breaking Bad a great show.

I am getting REALLY pumped on this

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6032 on: February 16, 2019, 10:29:26 AM »
Glad you're enjoying the ride. As far as dialogue goes, I love Tywin Lannister for that. Great character, love to hate him.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6033 on: February 16, 2019, 11:34:32 AM »
Glad you're enjoying the ride. As far as dialogue goes, I love Tywin Lannister for that. Great character, love to hate him.

Very true. Every one of his scenes he has fantastic dialogue with whomever he’s involved with in that scene.

And for that matter.....although it’s not quite as ‘eloquent’ as Tywin...the Hound’s scenes and dialogue always stick out as ‘good’ to me.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #6034 on: February 16, 2019, 06:22:16 PM »
I just finished Season 6. This is my second time going through the series, and I have some thoughts. Spoilers ahead!

- I remembered Season 5 as the worst season, and I often read that it is generally considered the worst season, so I went into it thinking it would be the worst season. To my surprise, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, albeit not as much as Season 4, which is my personal favorite.

- Tonight, we saw the second-last episode of Season 6. It was amazing. However, I must say that Season 6 has been by far and away my least favorite season. Mrs. TOX agrees. It is a very slow season, and it feels like they saved the really good stuff for the last few episodes.

- During Season 6, I noticed a lot of "buzzer beaters". Let me explain. Basically, there are a lot of instances where something happens at the last second that is meant to be a surprise and swing the moment a completely different way. For example, the Knight's Watch is about to burst into the room with dead Jon, and then an army arrives to save the day. Or they telegraph it to look like Danny is about to surrender to the slave masters, but then she laughs, gets on a dragon, and destroys them. Or Jon and Rikkon are about to touch hands, and then he gets hit with an arrow. Or... You get the point. Now, you might say that this kind of thing has always happened in Game of Thrones. And you are probably right. But in Season 6, it all feels a bit... I dunno… Cheaper. I think they really started to miss the influence of the books.

- Overall, the show is great, and it has been a blast going through it again. I am actually really excited for Season 7, which is very fast, after the relatively slow pace of the last two, IMO.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6035 on: February 17, 2019, 12:33:55 PM »
Putting aside my GOT binge, Daytona 500 day,

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6036 on: February 28, 2019, 06:08:56 PM »
Some teaser comments from Emilia Clarke about how the show will end:

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/tv/story/emilia-clarke-game-of-thrones-ending-will-shock-people/ar-BBU3HoL
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6037 on: February 28, 2019, 06:10:52 PM »
Doing a re-watch, finished the 1st season.

It's really amazing how....amazing this season is. The dialogue is just so...god....damn...sharp. I miss it so much. And it's crazy to see what happens, knowing how it ends by the 7th season. How everyone just assumes Varys is exactly like Littlefinger and only out to advance his own power. Dude outright says he serves the realm, and was totally honest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6038 on: February 28, 2019, 08:10:52 PM »
Yeah. The dialogue in the earlier seasons is SO good. You can tell when they’ve exhausted the source material and we’re goimg off of their own writing.

I still have Season 7 to go.....gonna wait another week or so then hammer it out.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #6039 on: March 01, 2019, 08:25:00 AM »
We watched the penultimate episode of Season 7 last night. While I really appreciate the fast pace of Season 7 after two relatively slower seasons, that episode just has too much going on for me, and there are a ton of "Why is he doing that?" moments. Like... Why didn't Jon just climb on the dragon when he had a chance? Why did the Night King throw his spear at the dragon that was flying instead of the one that was just chilling on the ground in front of him?

I enjoyed the episode, but it also might be my least favorite Thrones episode. I hate sounding like such a grouchy pants. Don't get me wrong... This is easily my favorite show of all-time. It's phenomenal. But that episode was a bit of a disaster, IMO.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6040 on: March 01, 2019, 08:59:02 AM »
We watched the penultimate episode of Season 7 last night. While I really appreciate the fast pace of Season 7 after two relatively slower seasons, that episode just has too much going on for me, and there are a ton of "Why is he doing that?" moments. Like... Why didn't Jon just climb on the dragon when he had a chance? Why did the Night King throw his spear at the dragon that was flying instead of the one that was just chilling on the ground in front of him?

I enjoyed the episode, but it also might be my least favorite Thrones episode. I hate sounding like such a grouchy pants. Don't get me wrong... This is easily my favorite show of all-time. It's phenomenal. But that episode was a bit of a disaster, IMO.

Because they're mostly concerned with "WOAH THAT'S SO AWESOME" moments these days. So, logic aside, they will go for those moments above the rest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6041 on: March 01, 2019, 09:10:51 AM »
When you’re the Night King and want to ‘flex’....you don’t take out the easy target. You throw that spear several hundred feet into the air at a moving target. THAT’S how you flex.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6042 on: March 01, 2019, 09:21:47 AM »

Al in all it was a pretty rough episode. I've only seen it once.....will see it again  here in a bit on my re-watch.....but I recall a few WTF moments of 'why' certain choices were made.....and I remember there was a large hub bub made of how the F Gendry could get back to rally help so quickly....

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6043 on: March 01, 2019, 09:52:29 AM »
I don't understand the hate for that episode.  It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback when you're not the guy in the frozen wastes in a do-or-die fight against undead and seemingly immortal ice monsters :) Yeah the flight times make no sense with the size of Westeros but other than that little quibble I think that is one of the best episodes of the entire series. I've watched it at least 8 times.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6044 on: March 01, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »
When I completed my rewatch of the series, episode 6 is the only episode I wish was split into at least two parts. I have zero issues with any of the plot lines or motivations that occur, I just think it would've benefitted from a longer build up for the second half of the episode. Heck if they had kept the final scene as the season finale, I would've had no issues either.

But I get they were trying to push things along and had limited time to get them done. The other annoyance I have with that episode is with all the last minute saves. It kinda ruins the moment a bit when they do it like 3 times in the same episode. Even with those minor gripes, it was still a solid episode.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6045 on: March 01, 2019, 03:35:14 PM »
Some thoughts on season 4 since I finished rewatching it:

- I remember calling it my favorite season, and it still is, but as the other seasons, it has some slow moments. Like an album where maybe not every song is stellar, but the main songs are masterpiece, the season is carried by its majestic and defining moments: the Purple Wedding, Tyrion's trial (and especially his rant), everything with Oberyn in it.
- Alliser Thorne is a bitter asshole with PSTD (from the get go he bullies Jon Snow just because he grew up with lords... dude, he still decided to leave it all behind by his on accord - and one of the first things he does is terrorizing the new recruits saying how they had to eat their own dead on a mission behind the wall), but credit where credit is due, he was a damn fine commander during the siege at the Wall.
- Foreshadowing missed at the first time: when Joffrey and Margary are getting married and the septon says something equivalent of "no one dare to tear them asunder", guess on which lady the camera lingers?
- Always close your door when you're in the toilet. Always!
- Robb Stark in season 1: "If my demands are not met, I'll come south to see if Tywin Lannister really shits gold". Spoiler from the last episode: no, he doesn't  ;D
- But more seriously, the finale was so packed, that the pivotal scene between Tyrion and Tywin felt rushed. Also, I understand cutting stuff and all of that, but even as a non book reader I knew the whole thing about Tysha. She was introduced, she was reminded of ("I was married once, do you remember?" "Only too well"), and then they do away with her. She could have beem mentioned again in place of the utterly, totally and completely pointless discussion about the dumb Lannister cousin that was smashing beetles - Tyrion reminisces about his life which could end, talks about Tysha, and Jaimie looks uneasy and embarassed, and when he frees Tyrion, he presses again the issue and he admits it. Uh well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6046 on: March 04, 2019, 10:06:31 AM »
Neat article about the upcoming battle in Season 8....nothing spoilerly about it.....nothing we don't know as far as the characters that are in Winterfell.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/game-thrones-director-actors-break-150057745.html

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6047 on: March 04, 2019, 11:11:32 AM »
Really starting some serious itch for S08, can't wait!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6048 on: March 04, 2019, 03:20:14 PM »
Think of all the actors who know the story since months (probably a year actually) and they probably can't tell even their family that they died. Or survived. Or won the Iron Throne.

I bet at least some of them must enjoy reading all the theories online to see how wrong people are, or if someone actually got it right  :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6049 on: March 05, 2019, 07:16:02 AM »
I've read that HBO has characters that are dead/done filming still being paid to show up on set so those around them don't catch on.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6050 on: March 05, 2019, 07:19:12 AM »
Ive avoided any articles about the new season to not be spoiled, even such clickbait articles like "look what sansa is wearing!" nah, I'm going to hold out in anticipation of the ending of my favorite TV show. 

My coworker told me he read they wrote multiple endings and even filmed multiple endings just to throw people off who end up spoiling it.  If that's true, that's pretty awesome on their part especially since shit got hacked last year and many spoiled themselves by watching ahead of time.  HBO is trying hard to not let that happen.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6051 on: March 05, 2019, 07:32:44 AM »
I remember.... damn, can't spell properly his name, so I won't write it wrong, the actor playing Jaimie said that he thought the "alternate endings filmed" thing was bogus because filming costs so much and there's no point in filming something you won't use. But that was back before Season 8 began filming so I don't know if they actually went through with it.

Maybe it costs a little less to pay actors to just show up... certainly the NDA they surely have signed will cost a lot more in comparison  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6052 on: March 05, 2019, 09:38:51 AM »
I've read that HBO has characters that are dead/done filming still being paid to show up on set so those around them don't catch on.

Given that filming wrapped 8 months ago, that seems a bit unlikely.   ;D
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6053 on: March 05, 2019, 09:46:02 AM »
Holy Cow at the new trailer!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6054 on: March 05, 2019, 11:43:14 AM »

Given that filming wrapped 8 months ago, that seems a bit unlikely.   ;D

I meant at the time  :lol I believe Walking Dead did the same thing with a couple big names that got off'd