Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628767 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5985 on: January 15, 2019, 06:52:24 AM »
Thinking about it now... the death of one of them could serve to impress more the menace of the White Walkers. It's obvious they're gonna take over most of Westeros and so if they storm Winterfell and in the ensuing battle either Sansa or Arya dies, it really drivers the point home, "they're the ultimate foe".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5986 on: January 15, 2019, 07:12:19 AM »
Arya having to fight out a white walking Sansa would be a hell of a scene.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5987 on: January 15, 2019, 07:34:47 AM »
Arya having to fight out a white walking Sansa would be a hell of a scene.

Or if Arya becomes a white walker and then kills Cersie but can't get any joy out of it because she dead.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5988 on: January 15, 2019, 08:20:58 AM »
I’m still of the belief that Jamie will be the one who kills Cersi.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5989 on: January 15, 2019, 08:25:40 AM »

I would love to see that, but I feel it's a tad too cliche. I could see him letting her die though. Like she gets in trouble and he just stands there, eyes locked watching her die in agony.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5990 on: January 15, 2019, 08:32:14 AM »

It is his prophecy and so far the prophecies have been true.  I just wonder because Cersei is also on Arya's list so I wonder which of those two will actually do it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5991 on: January 15, 2019, 08:38:30 AM »

I would love to see that, but I feel it's a tad too cliche. I could see him letting her die though. Like she gets in trouble and he just stands there, eyes locked watching her die in agony.

I agree it'd seem 'easy' or cliche....but as cramx says....it has been a prophecy, so I wouldn't mind it. I think it'd also 'fit' Jamie's story more than Arya's per say. I could see your scenario working to fulfill the prophecy though.....like he has every ability to 'save' her but just refuses to....just lets her get killed/die in lieu of helping/saving her.

But it wouldn't shock me if he shoved a sword through her back as well as she was about to kill Tyrion or Jon or Dany...etc etc.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5992 on: January 15, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »

I agree it'd seem 'easy' or cliche....but as cramx says....it has been a prophecy, so I wouldn't mind it. I think it'd also 'fit' Jamie's story more than Arya's per say. I could see your scenario working to fulfill the prophecy though.....like he has every ability to 'save' her but just refuses to....just lets her get killed/die in lieu of helping/saving her.

But it wouldn't shock me if he shoved a sword through her back as well as she was about to kill Tyrion or Jon or Dany...etc etc.

Did the prophecy specifically say Jaime would be the one to kill her, or just a brother?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5993 on: January 15, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »
The "little brother", Cersei of course assumed Tyrion, but Jaimie is seconds younger.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5994 on: January 15, 2019, 09:26:23 AM »
Did the prophecy specifically say Jaime would be the one to kill her, or just a brother?

MirrorMask hit it. It never specifies and I think Cersi is assuming it's Tyrion. I'd assume Jamie if not for any other reason than the fact that it'd 'make sense' it'd be him with the way the story is being told. But....who knows....she may survive and be the last one standing  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5995 on: January 15, 2019, 09:33:12 AM »
I think Olenna spilling the beans about Joffrey to Jamie was also a clue that he will turn on her

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5996 on: January 18, 2019, 02:39:53 AM »
Still undecided about a full rewatch, in the meantime I kill downtime at work browsing through the Wikiquote of GoT.

Two things from earlier seasons stand out, to join the line of how little details are now more significant:

- When Melisandre and Stannis argue about what to do with the siege of King's Landing, she says "I have been fighting this war longer than you". Absolutely a throwaway line at the time, but now thinking back of the scene where she removes her magical collar..... wow! she was absolutely literal saying that!

- The dumb nephew of Brynden Tully, who acted of his own mind to pointlessly scare away the Mountain, to which Robb Stark replies: "I wanted to draw the Mountain into the west, into our country where we could surround him and kill him. I wanted him to chase us, which he would have done because he is a mad dog without a strategic thought in his head. I could have that head on a spike by now. Instead, I have a mill."

Damn you Edmure! Aside from going down in history as the one who was the excuse for the Red Wedding, you could have gotten the Mountain killed if you obeyed your orders! No Mountain, no undefeatable foe for Oberyn during the trial by combat! (Yeah, I still mourn that badass bisexual poisonous poet motherfucker of a prince).

Anyway, trying to imagine an alternate scenario with happy endings, can you imagine Oberyn actually killing the Mountain? he does not lower his guard, maybe - what I would have done - starts to pierce the limbs of the Mountain cutting him a finger or a hand, until he growns out in agony that Tywin Lannister ordered him to butcher the children, to which Oberyn replies with a wry smile "Thank you. What I always known deep inside me" and then brutally stabs him in the eye, and then tosses his blood soaked spear at the foot of Tywin, says "you're gonna hear from my family soon" and grabs his spouse, kisses her passionately and walks away, saying with his back turned, almost as a throwaway, "oh, and the dwarf is free".

That would have been cheesy but glorious  :lol but full in character for Oberyn I guess...

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5997 on: January 22, 2019, 03:02:28 AM »
 :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #5998 on: January 22, 2019, 06:49:47 AM »
I just finished my rewatch of Season 4. Great stuff. I will say, however, that The Mountain and the Viper was an incredibly hard episode for me to watch. Many people point to the Red Wedding as the most demoralizing event in the show, but for whatever reason, what happens to Oberyn hits me a thousand times harder. The first time I saw it, I genuinely wondered whether it was worth watching the show anymore because it hit a new low point in terms of screwing with my emotions. Interestingly, Mrs. TOX had a similar reaction - The next episode, she said, "If Sam dies, I'm done." :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5999 on: January 22, 2019, 07:11:32 AM »
I feel you for the death of Oberyn. Time and again I rewatch the fight, and I have to stop before the end. Dunno, maybe we thought that the Red Wedding prepared us for anything, and seeing how that wasn't true, hit harder.

Anyway, I gave in and I joined on the rewatch bandwagon.

Some observations about season 1:

- As everyone said, it's basically a new show knowing everyone and who's who.

- Arya was adorable and cute! and yet, when she was relentlessly stabbing the table in frustration, she said "I'm training for when I'll stab Joffrey" (after the direwolves incident). Maybe she didn't really, really mean it, but still... it showed that some kind of darkness, a violent darkness, was always in her, waiting to come out.

- Gods Sansa was dumb. But she was a naive teenager after all.

- Ned and Cat... a beautiful couple but maybe too stubborn for their own good? Cat seizing Tyrion blindly believing Littlefinger's story was not her smartest move, and Ned was so righteous with Jaimie.

- Speaking of Jaimie... dunno, maybe I'm biased by his character growth, but he didn't really seem this much of an asshole. Ok, he showed Bran down the tower, and that's a big no no, but when he was  talking about the Mad King, with Ned and with King Robert, he was sincere. His story, the one he told to Brienne, was always there for anyone who'd have cared to look past the smug facade. He even correctly pointed out that Theon Greyjoy was an asshole.

- The whole "Kill Daenerys" thing... was Robert SO wrong about it? I mean, let's forget that she's a pivotal  character, solely from Robert's perspective, was it so cruel to kill a young girl and prevent from the beginning a possible invasion with a Dothraki army, which is exactly what happened in later seasons? let's imagine that for whatever reason Robert keeps the throne, eventually Dany has her own journey and does what actually happens in the end, comes to Westeros with a bigass army. Was Robert so nedlessly cruel and wrong in wanting to off her  right then at the beginning?

- I couldn't even remember poor, sweet, naive and scared Dany. And naked Dany of course  ;D she really learnt quickly however, "He was no dragon, fire cannot kill a dragon" was the first of many badass lines to come from her.

- Viserys was the wimpy and whiny wannabe I remembered him to be.

- Cersei as well was and still is the goddamn cruel bitch I remembered her to be  ;D

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6000 on: January 22, 2019, 08:24:35 AM »
I just finished my rewatch of Season 4. Great stuff. I will say, however, that The Mountain and the Viper was an incredibly hard episode for me to watch. Many people point to the Red Wedding as the most demoralizing event in the show, but for whatever reason, what happens to Oberyn hits me a thousand times harder. The first time I saw it, I genuinely wondered whether it was worth watching the show anymore because it hit a new low point in terms of screwing with my emotions. Interestingly, Mrs. TOX had a similar reaction - The next episode, she said, "If Sam dies, I'm done." :lol

Same. I recall the first time I watched it thinking this would truly be the first 'good' thing that will happen on the show. When the mountain was down and Oberyn was 'in control'.....I felt like Jamie did.....I was smiling, happy and surprised. It's a testament to the show on how quickly they turned the tide there. That was utterly brutal....and quick....it happened in a span of ten seconds. The Red Wedding once it started was a few minutes of WTF???.....Oberyn's demise was so fast it was just shocking and breathtaking all at once.

And....count me in as one of those who believe that the final scene will be an image of Sam finishing up writing 'The Song of Fire and Ice' as he's been the one 'narrating/dictating' this story all along as an old Meister.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6001 on: February 03, 2019, 06:51:23 AM »
Yesterday I was watching a book discussion on c-span with a Brad Meltzer about his book The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington and one of the things he said was how both the loyalists and the crown thought the rebellion would collapse onto itself if Washington is killed, the thought sounded so familiar but I couldn't put my finger on why. This morning I realized it's cause it reminded me of Mance Rayder :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6002 on: February 04, 2019, 02:01:37 AM »
That was in the episode I've just seen, I'm in the middle of a rewatch of Season 2.

I love Arya, but damn she really dropped the ball at Harrenhall with Jaqen offering to help her.

"You saved three people from fire, the god of death is owed three lives"
"Meaning?"
"Well, three people survived because of you, so to repay you, I will kill three people for you"
"So in this castle, where Tywin Lannister himself is present, you can kill any three persons I name?"
"Yes"
"Ok, kill the random asshole who interrogates prisoners"

GODDAMITT ARYA!!!!!!!!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #6003 on: February 04, 2019, 05:12:01 AM »
There was a delicate trust bond forming between Arya and Tywinn during that second season. He sort of respected her. Did he suspect who she was? 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6004 on: February 04, 2019, 06:01:01 AM »
No, he would have never let her get away.

It's Littlefinger who probably recognized her, but didn't say anything because he's a master troll and thought "why bother, maybe she poisons him or something and then more chaos to take advantage of".

Online faizoff

« Reply #6005 on: February 04, 2019, 04:07:56 PM »
Little finger does mention to Sansa that he saw Arya in season 3 I believe.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6006 on: February 04, 2019, 09:55:56 PM »
I don't think he recognized her.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6007 on: February 05, 2019, 03:06:19 PM »
Anyway, finished my rewatch of season 2, some musings with the benefit of added knowledge:

- The pacing was weird. At times it felt slow, and at other times it felt "We need to touch upon this character and that one and this one too and don't forget also that one". I assume watching one episode per week was relatively frustrating. Take Dany's arc for example - all she does is going from the desert to a city, lose her dragons, get back her dragons. All spread across 10 episodes. Too much too cover, and too many quick scenes - by visiting briefly everyone, the plot of all the story advanced for all very slow.
- For the whole "mystery" about Theon's captor in season 3, it was not even just foreshadowed, but it was blatantly told twice that the bastard of Roose Bolton would have been charged with taking back Winterfell.
- Speaking of the whole Winterfell debacle.... Balon Grejoy is a major dick. A bitter man still obsessed with pillaging and paying the iron price and whatever too proud and too stupid to realize he didn't have the numbers to start the rebellion that got his sons killed. And when Theon called him out on that - loosing, having to give Theon away and then taking it out on him - he slapped him. Truth hurts Baleon, uh?
- For all the hate I have for Cersei, she was actually nice for once with Sansa after she got her first period. And it was glorious and borderline unintended comic relief see her drink herself to a nihilistic stupidity during the battle of Blackwater, I want a spinoff of a drunken Cersei being pissed at everyone and everybody  :lol
- Always Cersei: "Do you know why Varys is the most dangerous man? because he doesn't have a cock". True that. Look how good Jon and Robb's cocks did to them - Jon saw a pretty redhead and couldn't execute her, getting himself captured and the whole band of the Halfhand annihilated in return; Robb gets the hots for the fist random pretty girl he sees and starts the chain of events that gets him and everyone he knew killed. Congratulations, bros.
- Back in season 1 Jon said casually (or someone else at the walls) "One blast. One is for rangers returning". A throwaway line back then, but knowing now what two blasts and especially THREE blast means... (the final shot of the season, Sam seeing the army of the wights).
- Fuck the king.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:16:14 AM by MirrorMask »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6008 on: February 05, 2019, 03:21:13 PM »
- For the whole "mystery" about Theon's captor in season 3, it was not even just foreshadowed, but it was blatantly told twice that the bastard of Roose Bolton would have been charged with taking back Winterfell.

Yup, I always wondered why people felt this was a mystery at the time, like while it was flat out said in season 2 who was going there, I think it was kind of a throw away line at the time.  Like most people didn't even have Roose Bolton as someone major during Season 2 so his conversation was probably not scene as terribly important at the time.  It sticks out like a sore nose on a rewatch though.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6009 on: February 06, 2019, 06:46:55 AM »

Yup, I always wondered why people felt this was a mystery at the time, like while it was flat out said in season 2 who was going there, I think it was kind of a throw away line at the time.  Like most people didn't even have Roose Bolton as someone major during Season 2 so his conversation was probably not scene as terribly important at the time.  It sticks out like a sore nose on a rewatch though.

My first watch of the show I was ‘surprised’ and taken off guard. But this recent re-watch I’ve been on.....you’re right......it stuck out big time. It was just a matter of really paying attention to the character dialogue.

I’ve just finished Season 5. Not the best season but a couple things that still brought chills to me was one....when Drogon rescues Dany at the fighting pits. That’s such a cool scene....his screech off in the distance just as Dany has conceded her life to the sons of the Harpey. Then his landing sequence and subsequent defense of her.....it was pretty sweet to see again.

And, obviously the battle at Hardhomme was just as good as the first time as well.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6010 on: February 06, 2019, 12:25:07 PM »
I have to say that, even though "Fuck the king" made history, there's another line from the Hound, at the beginning of the meleè in the open field during the siege, that is priceless and awesome: "Anyone dies with a clean sword, I'll rape his fucking corpse!!!"  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6011 on: February 06, 2019, 07:18:59 PM »
I’ve just finished Season 5. Not the best season but a couple things that still brought chills to me was one....when Drogon rescues Dany at the fighting pits. That’s such a cool scene....his screech off in the distance just as Dany has conceded her life to the sons of the Harpey. Then his landing sequence and subsequent defense of her.....it was pretty sweet to see again.

And, obviously the battle at Hardhomme was just as good as the first time as well.

Season 5 was the first season I had anticipated, since I got into the show right as season 4 was ending (I got the first 3 seasons on blu-ray, which sold me). I enjoyed it a lot because it was my first season, but after seeing it a few times now, yeah, it is pretty slow. But I remember seeing that Drogon rescue scene for the first time and it gave me chills - all the build up, all Dany's been through, watching the dragons grow throughout the show, it's really powerful, and makes all the scenes in later seasons just as strong. They did a great job showing the maturation of the dragons, which to me helps indicate just how much time has passed since season 1. Lots of people think the show is going too fast these days but I think in general it's done a great job handling the passage of time. And the Hardhome scene - holy cow. One of my favorite moments in the show. Wasn't expecting it at all and it was shot beautifully. This show rules.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6012 on: February 14, 2019, 12:00:13 PM »
I have stayed away from this topic for years. I work a lot overseas, and I will be honest, I have never seen an episode of GOT. I have heard it is great. So...................................... I got injured working and am out of commission for a while.  I am divorced/single, so while on bedrest figured might as well start.  Episode 1 up. I hope it lives up to what I have heard. I know NOTHING detail wise, so I hope it blows me away

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6013 on: February 14, 2019, 12:04:05 PM »
I have stayed away from this topic for years. I work a lot overseas, and I will be honest, I have never seen an episode of GOT. I have heard it is great. So...................................... I got injured working and am out of commission for a while.  I am divorced/single, so while on bedrest figured might as well start.  Episode 1 up. I hope it lives up to what I have heard. I know NOTHING detail wise, so I hope it blows me away

If you find yourself wanting to give up around episode 6 or 7, tough it out until the end of the first season.

Have fun!

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6014 on: February 14, 2019, 12:07:14 PM »
Thanks. Noted. I am excited about doing a binge the next 4 days.

Would people mind if I comment on my experience?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6015 on: February 14, 2019, 12:10:20 PM »
Not at all. Go for it. I love watching virgin watchers speculate.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6016 on: February 14, 2019, 12:11:12 PM »
 love the thought of having a new media experience with absolute no knowledge of it that will blow me away.

Ok thanks will do.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6017 on: February 14, 2019, 12:19:56 PM »
Would people mind if I comment on my experience?

Not all, always to fun to witness someone else's first experience! I'm on a rewatch too.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #6018 on: February 14, 2019, 12:31:45 PM »
ok I think it could be fun. again I know NOTHING about it but hype. so yes virgin

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6019 on: February 14, 2019, 12:35:13 PM »

If you find yourself wanting to give up around episode 6 or 7, tough it out until the end of the first season.

Agree.  I didn't start watching until I think the off season between seasons 6 and 7.  There are a LOT of characters who look similar (there are about 93 characters that can be described as "guy in his mid- to late 30s with dark hair and a beard"), and I found it very confusing to keep it straight who's who.  Eventually it clears up (for the most part).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung