Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628397 times)

Online pg1067

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5845 on: February 13, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »
I just finished Season 1. Really good so far, although as someone who never read the books, I still am trying to remember the names of all 485 characters. :lol :lol

I started watching last summer, and the toughest part for me was that half of those 485 characters look almost exactly alike.  "Hey...what happened to the 40-something year old guy with the brown hair and beard?"  Yeah...like that narrows it down!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5846 on: February 13, 2018, 03:16:11 PM »
I just finished Season 1. Really good so far, although as someone who never read the books, I still am trying to remember the names of all 485 characters. :lol :lol

I started watching last summer, and the toughest part for me was that half of those 485 characters look almost exactly alike.  "Hey...what happened to the 40-something year old guy with the brown hair and beard?"  Yeah...like that narrows it down!

It's hard at first watch, but if you watch again, look at their clothes.  The wardrobes are done so well on this show.  House colors and sigils and certain outfits match different houses and characters.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5847 on: February 13, 2018, 03:22:34 PM »
"Yay, I finally managed to distinguish this character from the other aaaaaand he's dead".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5848 on: February 13, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »
Haha, pretty much.

I like the show a lot, but not knowing all of the characters makes it hard to enjoy it to the fullest, and I do find some of the fantasy stuff a bit hokey (I am generally not a watcher of fantasy movies/shows).

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5849 on: February 13, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »
Honest trailers did one around the time season 4 was coming out and it was spot on regarding how I felt about all the characters' familiarity at the time. I watched that trailer again a few months ago and this time it was so different that I knew every single one of them without a moment of hesitation.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5850 on: February 13, 2018, 07:03:43 PM »
Haha, pretty much.

I like the show a lot, but not knowing all of the characters makes it hard to enjoy it to the fullest, and I do find some of the fantasy stuff a bit hokey (I am generally not a watcher of fantasy movies/shows).

By far the toughest thing about GOT was getting accustomed to all the characters. The first three seasons I watched when discussing with my brothers I’d just say ‘chic with the red hair’....’the guy that bangs his sister’ etc etc.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5851 on: February 13, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »
Rewatching really helped me out with that issue.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5852 on: February 13, 2018, 07:54:49 PM »
Rewatching really helped me out with that issue.

Definitely gonna rewatch prior to the final season. The couple episodes I’ve rewatched here and there it was so much different actually knowing what they were referring to rather than having no idea.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5853 on: February 13, 2018, 08:23:02 PM »

By far the toughest thing about GOT was getting accustomed to all the characters. The first three seasons I watched when discussing with my brothers I’d just say ‘chic with the red hair’....’the guy that bangs his sister’ etc etc.

Can you narrow it down?  :eek :eek :lol :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #5854 on: February 20, 2018, 04:19:03 PM »

Can you narrow it down?  :eek :eek :lol :lol

Seriously!

Funny thing is that I remember when my wife and I watched the first episode, and she then watched the next couple while I was at work.  I made some sort of comment about the "incest twins," and her response was "how did you know?"  The thing is that I was referring to Dani and her brother (who just looked like they were incestuous or were the product of incest (which they are, although I didn't know it at the time)).  She thought I was referring to Jamie and Cersei (whom I hadn't yet seen in action).

I'll definitely be re-watching all of the prior seasons at least once in preparation for season 8.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5855 on: February 21, 2018, 05:56:32 AM »
I found GOT hard to follow when binging. I didn't start watching it live with the rest of the world until season 6. It got much easier to remember who people were and what was going on when I had a week to discuss each episode before watching the next one. When I'd sit down and plow through 5-10 episodes on a lazy Sunday, I was being exposed to so much information that it made it difficult to process it all.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5856 on: February 21, 2018, 06:15:34 AM »
That was my experience with it as well, once I caught up and there was time between episodes it really helped to understand what was going on

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5857 on: April 03, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »
Pretty cool deleted scene from Season 4 between Tywin and Pycelle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmmUa_r-oo

I wish they would have kept this in

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5858 on: April 03, 2018, 11:50:57 AM »
Ah, yes, seen that one.

Most people says nice things to you and then talk shit behind your back. Tywin instead was always insulting Tyrion to his face, and here he kinda complimented him on his tenure as Hand  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5859 on: April 03, 2018, 12:42:48 PM »
That scene also exposed Pycelle for who he was, which was kind of shown via the whore scene with him and other references, but this scene made it obvious.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5860 on: April 12, 2018, 01:06:40 AM »
Saw a post on Facebook about how supposedly the biggest battle of the show has done filming. 55 days, Battle of the Bastards took 35.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5861 on: April 12, 2018, 06:32:08 AM »
Saw a post on Facebook about how supposedly the biggest battle of the show has done filming. 55 days, Battle of the Bastards took 35.

Read the same thing online. 55 day....that’s gonna be quite a battle.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5862 on: June 30, 2018, 02:38:35 PM »
Hodor jammin with Megadeth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh3qAViqhno

:metal :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5863 on: June 30, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »
"Hold the chord"

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5864 on: August 22, 2018, 06:08:47 AM »
Been rewatching the series for the second time. It's much easier to follow the second time around. I started season 6 last night. I have to say, I still really don't get the whole arc with Arya and the black/white house. It just seems like they didn't know what to do with her character and shoved her into this completely foreign part of Westeros.

And as always. Fuck Ollie. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5865 on: August 22, 2018, 06:29:15 AM »
Never understood the hate for Ollie, he is young, impressionable and went through complete hell.

I hated the Black/White House arc. To make it worse, the final fight was off camera.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5866 on: August 22, 2018, 06:49:45 AM »
I’m planning on re-watching the series prior to the final season. Just trying to figure out when I’m gonna start it up. I’m thinking around Dec/Jan

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5867 on: August 22, 2018, 06:52:17 AM »
I hated the Black/White House arc. To make it worse, the final fight was off camera.

Having that final fight in the dark demonstrated just how much skill Arya had developed.  I like her arc, and it isn't that hard to figure out why she went there.  She had a list of people she wanted to kill and found a way to learn to become an assassin.  The books expand on her training quite a bit and it takes her a long time to come to a place where she isn't there to be "Arya Stark, assassin," but "faceless man, assassin."  They see right through her in that she is there for personal reasons and not to truly become a faceless man. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5868 on: August 22, 2018, 09:31:59 AM »

Having that final fight in the dark demonstrated just how much skill Arya had developed.  I like her arc, and it isn't that hard to figure out why she went there.  She had a list of people she wanted to kill and found a way to learn to become an assassin.  The books expand on her training quite a bit and it takes her a long time to come to a place where she isn't there to be "Arya Stark, assassin," but "faceless man, assassin."  They see right through her in that she is there for personal reasons and not to truly become a faceless man.

Thats true, but also add me to the group that didn't enjoy the shows version of it.  I wasn't crazy about the books either, but since the story isn't finished, there could be some more payoff from this storyline that makes it worth the screen time.

Never understood the hate for Ollie, he is young, impressionable and went through complete hell.

He's not in the book so lots of people hate him because he was written in which changed Jon's story slightly.  However, I thought his storyline was a pretty good one for being on the show runners and not GRRM. Of course I hated him for killing Jon and being a bitch, but it all really made sense for what he went through and the company he was currently with.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5869 on: August 22, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »
I’m planning on re-watching the series prior to the final season. Just trying to figure out when I’m gonna start it up. I’m thinking around Dec/Jan

I'm think about doing this as well though I'm leaning towards watching the final season and then going back and watching the whole series so I can see if there were any nuggets in the earlier seasons.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5870 on: August 22, 2018, 09:03:54 PM »
Been rewatching the series for the second time. It's much easier to follow the second time around. I started season 6 last night. I have to say, I still really don't get the whole arc with Arya and the black/white house. It just seems like they didn't know what to do with her character and shoved her into this completely foreign part of Westeros.

And as always. Fuck Ollie. 

I'm going to start rewatching the series soon too.

I didn't get into GoT until season 4 and I binged everything a few weeks prior so it was a lot to take in.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5871 on: August 23, 2018, 07:35:49 AM »
I wouldn't mind rewatching them either. Never going to happen due to lack of time though. I will say I didn't really get into the show until it passed the books. I watched all the earlier seasons but often not for months after they came out. The last couple seasons I've been watching every Sunday night.

Offline krands85

« Reply #5872 on: August 23, 2018, 09:46:15 AM »
I rewatched everything before the last season, so I think I'll just do a rewatch of 6 and 7 before the final season.

I would love to wait until S8 is finished before starting it - I prefer not being limited to 1 episode per week - but it's almost impossible to avoid spoilers for this show, especially with this being the conclusion of it.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5873 on: August 23, 2018, 09:53:45 AM »
it's almost impossible to avoid spoilers for this show, especially with this being the conclusion of it.

I'm curious as to if there will be an MAJOR leaks prior to the season starting?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5874 on: August 23, 2018, 10:04:22 AM »
I'm sure entire episodes will be leaked again. I had details of Season 7, Episode 7 spoiled to me a couple of weeks before its premier in the comments section of an (unrelated) ESPN facebook post.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5875 on: August 23, 2018, 10:36:05 AM »
I rewatched everything before the last season, so I think I'll just do a rewatch of 6 and 7 before the final season.

Same here. 

I'm curious as to if there will be an MAJOR leaks prior to the season starting?

Probably, although I heard they wrote and even filmed different endings?  I havent been googling or following any production news to avoid potential spoilers, but my coworker said he read that they are doing a lot of things to make it difficult to be spoiled.  Although, at the end of the day, I expect this stuff will get out regardless.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5876 on: August 26, 2018, 02:43:44 AM »
I would love to wait until S8 is finished before starting it - I prefer not being limited to 1 episode per week - but it's almost impossible to avoid spoilers for this show, especially with this being the conclusion of it.

That's why since Season 5 I reclutanctly watch them as soon as they air as well. I would be perfectly fine with waiting for the season to finish but it's impossible by now to avoid spoilers so I'll resign myself to watch them immediately.

The day after the last episode I'd better not use social media at all.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5877 on: September 21, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »
While we wait for news about Season 8, allow me to go on a rambling about one of the best scenes of season 7: Olenna Tyrell's final scene with Jaimie Lannister.

We all know how badass that scene is, but I want to point out two smaller details. First of all, when Jaimie meets her, Olenna almost immediately says, in an exasperated, almost mocking tone, "And now the rains weep o'er our halls", kinda like to say "yeah, we get it, it's your catchphrase, yadda yadda yadda, you won, get over it", thus robbing Jaimie of a chance for a sneaky remark about it.

Then, almost immediately, she taunts him about Joffrey, talking about the name of the sword.... "He really was a cunt, wasn't he?" (spoiler: yes, he was :lol) well, I remember in the heat of the first viewing, thinking "tell him!!! tell him!!!", but it took a while. Then I realized why.... ever wanted to say something important or nice, a leadup maybe to offer a present to a person at the right moment and not just suddenly ("hey, btw, I have a present for you"), and failing to find the proper moment, at least for a while? of course, because that's what happens in real life, perfect catcphrases and comebacks are for movies.

And well, even if Olenna is a TV character, the writers built this indecision into her speech. If you pay attention, she had already decided to tell Jaimie, and she was waiting for the perfect moment to tell him, and failed some times.

"He really was a cunt, wasn't he?" was to lead Jaimie to admit what a dipshit of a son he had, so that maybe she could tell him "Well, then you'll partially forgive me for taking him out".
She asked more than once "how will it happen? with that sword?", if Jaimie would have beheaded her, she probably would have said "Well, how poetic, the sword of Joffrey kills the woman who poisoned him".
When she asked if there was pain in the poison for her, it was probably out of self concern, but maybe she would have pointed out again that she'd got the same fate as the king she killed.

Only when Jaimie told her the poison was painless, she found the right words and the right moment to finally tell him what she wanted to tell him the moment he entered the room. Just like it takes a lot of time for us to find the proper moment and words to say important things we want to say. And boy, what a memorable moment it was. People will remember the wonderful, final line, "Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me", but the entire scene was amazingly written and acted.

Olenna was the one defeated and about to be killed, and she was the one who "won" the confrontation. Impressive. The Queen of Thorns is a badass motherfucker and she went out the same way she lived, in total and utter badassery :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5878 on: September 21, 2018, 12:16:16 PM »
Oh yea that is an amazing scene and such strong lines from an awesome character on her way out. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5879 on: September 21, 2018, 12:19:40 PM »
I always felt that Jamie didn't seem that mad, and almost understanding in a way, because he shared something in common with her. He too killed a mad king, and despite it being his son, he "got it".