Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628466 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5810 on: December 26, 2017, 01:07:07 PM »
My brother in law made me an Iron Throne phone charger for Christmas. He used a bunch of little cocktail stirrers cut to different sizes.  :metal

(front)

(back)
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5811 on: December 26, 2017, 01:10:25 PM »
Dude... that is COOL!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5812 on: December 26, 2017, 03:08:50 PM »
Indeed!  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5813 on: December 27, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »
Thats awesome, really cool idea to use those cocktail stirrers.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5814 on: January 04, 2018, 12:16:41 PM »
https://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season-8-returning-2019.html

Game of Thrones Will Return in 2019

The epic fantasy series Game of Thrones will return for its six-episode, eighth and final season in 2019.
David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, David Nutter and Miguel Sapochnik will be the directors for the new season. Writers for the new season are David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Bryan Cogman and Dave Hill.
The executive producers of the series are David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger and Bernadette Caulfield. Co-executive producers are Bryan Cogman, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis and George R.R. Martin.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5815 on: January 04, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
Well, official confirmation of what we already were told. Sucks but it's understandable.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5816 on: January 04, 2018, 12:23:42 PM »
Yeah, it's nice to at least have it confirmed, but boy is it going to be a long year
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5817 on: January 04, 2018, 12:27:14 PM »
Many of my favorite shows are either ending, a season away from ending, or just ended. I'm going to have to find some new things to watch.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5818 on: January 04, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »
Yeah, it's nice to at least have it confirmed, but boy is it going to be a long year

I'm sure I'm not the only one who plans to revisit the Series leading into the Season 8 premier, that should help satisfy the GOT cravings a bit. I guess an official date will come later?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5819 on: January 04, 2018, 12:28:26 PM »
Many of my favorite shows are either ending, a season away from ending, or just ended. I'm going to have to find some new things to watch.

If you're not watching VIKINGS on History channel that should be one of them. It's really good.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5820 on: January 04, 2018, 12:34:13 PM »

I'm sure I'm not the only one who plans to revisit the Series leading into the Season 8 premier, that should help satisfy the GOT cravings a bit. I guess an official date will come later?

I think I saw each episode of season 7 4 or 5 times, and I thought about watching the finale again last weekend... and I watched the whole series, again, after 7 wrapped up. That's four times through now I think. I may do it one more time before 8 begins (or after it ends) but that might be it. It's a hefty investment now.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5821 on: January 04, 2018, 12:41:06 PM »

If you're not watching VIKINGS on History channel that should be one of them. It's really good.

I've heard many good things about that show. Maybe later tonight I'll watch the first episode of Vikings.

I also saw previews for Knightfall, so I'm wondering if that's as good as it seems.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5822 on: January 04, 2018, 12:48:00 PM »
I've heard many good things about that show. Maybe later tonight I'll watch the first episode of Vikings.

It's been a while since I've watched Episode 1....but I think to be fair you should give it two or three episodes. But, what I can say about the show that has never changed is that the production is top notch, the story never gets stagnate...they always have it moving forward AND it is an interesting story.

The battle sequences are incredible and only improve as the series ages. I was thrilled to learn it's getting a (20) episode 6th season.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5823 on: January 04, 2018, 12:51:24 PM »
I can vouch for Vikings, every Game of Thrones should love it, and I know some GoT fans who actually can't stand GoT anymore after having watched Vikings.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5824 on: January 04, 2018, 12:53:44 PM »

It's been a while since I've watched Episode 1....but I think to be fair you should give it two or three episodes. But, what I can say about the show that has never changed is that the production is top notch, the story never gets stagnate...they always have it moving forward AND it is an interesting story.

The battle sequences are incredible and only improve as the series ages. I was thrilled to learn it's getting a (20) episode 6th season.

I can vouch for Vikings, every Game of Thrones should love it, and I know some GoT fans who actually can't stand GoT anymore after having watched Vikings.

That sounds like a show I would undoubtedly love.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5825 on: January 04, 2018, 01:02:47 PM »
To balance this out I can say that while I like Vikings, it’s not super awesome. It’s quite an interesting look into old norse culture, but I personally don’t think the writing is especially strong. With exceptions of course, but overall it’s a bit uneven and unfocused.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5826 on: January 04, 2018, 01:31:23 PM »
To balance this out I can say that while I like Vikings, it’s not super awesome. It’s quite an interesting look into old norse culture, but I personally don’t think the writing is especially strong. With exceptions of course, but overall it’s a bit uneven and unfocused.

really? I couldn't disagree more. There are multiple story lines going that never stagnate. Are they the most enthralling dialogue ever? Well no, but Vikings has never suffered from what most shows do and that is reaching a point to where they don't know what to do next. It's always on the go...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5827 on: January 04, 2018, 01:34:23 PM »
Viking has also an absolutely monstrous and charismatic lead protagonist, that completely overshadows with his sheer awesomeness whatever little faults the show might have. I think there's worldwide critical and fan acclaim for Travis Fimmel as Ragnar Lothbrok.

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #5828 on: January 04, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »
If we have to wait until 2019, I hope GRRM can get Winds of Winter out to tie us over...

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #5829 on: January 04, 2018, 01:57:23 PM »
Imo I find Vikings unwatchable ever since Ivar has come into play. I can't stand the way he's acted, but that's just a personal opinion. Up until the mid-point of season 4 it was one of my top 3 shows.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5830 on: January 04, 2018, 02:00:42 PM »
If we have to wait until 2019, I hope GRRM can get Winds of Winter out to tie us over...

*tide  :P

We can also wish for a real dragon, too.  :biggrin:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5831 on: January 05, 2018, 04:24:09 AM »
Can you imagine the amount of hype that will build up until next year, I can safely assume the season premier will obliterate whatever record it previously had. :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5832 on: January 05, 2018, 10:01:19 AM »
Say what you want about ravens flying extreme distances and delivering their message in the very next scene, I still feel that this is an incredibly written show.  I'm reading A Clash of Kings, having never read the books before watching all 7 seasons and came across this line from Tyrion.  This is exactly what he would say in the show (or in truth, GOT Tyrion is exactly as book Tyrion is, and should be.)

"What else is a Hand for, if not to hand you things."   I can picture him saying that in the show....they've truly nailed these characters for 7 seasons.

It's going to be a long wait until 2019, but I've done it before when the Sopranos had some very lengthy hiatus'.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5833 on: January 05, 2018, 10:22:21 AM »
Miguel Sapochnik is directing a couple episodes for season 8... glorious battles await. The whole season I predict will be battles. And they will be terrifying, glorious, and epic.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5834 on: January 05, 2018, 11:30:07 AM »
For sure battles are incoming.

The army of the undead and the wighs will reach Winterfell first and the Night King will be like

"WINTER HAS COME, BITCHES"

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5835 on: January 06, 2018, 09:13:15 AM »
Miguel Sapochnik is directing a couple episodes for season 8... glorious battles await. The whole season I predict will be battles. And they will be terrifying, glorious, and epic.

I don't know if they've released the breakdown of directors for each episode but it might be that Miguel is doing 3 episodes, David Nutter might do 2 and D&D do the finale.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5836 on: January 06, 2018, 09:38:39 AM »
I think I remember reading that they’re doing two each.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5837 on: January 06, 2018, 06:23:34 PM »
I doubt David and Dan are doing more than one episode, I'm going to imagine the finale will be the longest episode in the series and they are seasonal directors with more of a sentiment drive to finish the series than anything else.

That said even if they're all doing 2 episodes each that's fine by me, I'm more than happy with who is at the helm of each episode.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5838 on: January 07, 2018, 03:43:14 AM »
One thing I wondered is how directors direct episodes, not locations... maybe logistically it would have been better to have a North director, a King's Landing director, an Essos director etc... does that mean that a director has anyway to travel to Belfast, Spain and whatever else they're filming rather than staying in a single location? most likely yes.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5839 on: January 07, 2018, 06:14:04 AM »
It's going to be a long wait but at least that gives me time to rewatch the entire series.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5840 on: January 07, 2018, 07:00:39 PM »
Maybe they can bring in Peter Jackson to do the last episode so we can get a nine hour final episode.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5841 on: February 11, 2018, 06:07:47 PM »
I just finished Season 1. Really good so far, although as someone who never read the books, I still am trying to remember the names of all 485 characters. :lol :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5842 on: February 11, 2018, 06:11:52 PM »
I just finished Season 1. Really good so far, although as someone who never read the books, I still am trying to remember the names of all 485 characters. :lol :lol

I wouldn't worry about it, 300 of then will be dead by season 4.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5843 on: February 11, 2018, 06:17:11 PM »

I wouldn't worry about it, 300 of then will be dead by season 4.

Haha, so I hear.  A few friends have hyped it up, while also warning me to not get too attached to any character since they are likely to be dead sooner rather than later.

And that rat bastard Joffrey will probably outlive them all. :censored :censored

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5844 on: February 11, 2018, 06:27:57 PM »
That's awesome! To be frank, even though I'm a huge fan of the show now it took me a while to really get into it. It wasn't until after season 3 that I became really crazy about it.