Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628464 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5740 on: September 01, 2017, 05:00:01 AM »
I think I'm going to start rewatching the show since I have a few slow months ahead of me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5741 on: September 01, 2017, 11:46:55 AM »
I think I'm going to start rewatching the show since I have a few slow months ahead of me.

same here. Especially given the amount of time we have now until the last season....I may evaluate a realistic re-watch schedule that would lead me right into the start of the final season.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5742 on: September 01, 2017, 12:38:09 PM »
I want too to rewatch the series with the proper insight, but I have so much new stuff to watch that I consider unlikely to find some proper time to sit down through everything again. But it would be quite a rewarding experience to watch it to appreciate more the story and all the nuances, and be prepared for the shocking deahs (speaking of that, I don't think I want to watch the Red Wedding or Oberyn's death ever again. I watched on YouTube the fight between the Viper and the Mountain but I always stop before Gregor Clegane tackles him to the ground)

(Speaking of this now... I remember vividly in the battle there was a scene where Oberyn was grounded like that and simply rolled away quickly, couldn't he just do it again? yeah, I know, the surprise, he was caught off guard, but DAMN  :D )
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5743 on: September 01, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
Already in the thick of it myself, somewhere around S4E9, picking up a lot of the little things now that I'm not racing just to keep up with the myriad storylines.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5744 on: September 01, 2017, 07:21:54 PM »
I want too to rewatch the series with the proper insight, but I have so much new stuff to watch that I consider unlikely to find some proper time to sit down through everything again. But it would be quite a rewarding experience to watch it to appreciate more the story and all the nuances, and be prepared for the shocking deahs (speaking of that, I don't think I want to watch the Red Wedding or Oberyn's death ever again. I watched on YouTube the fight between the Viper and the Mountain but I always stop before Gregor Clegane tackles him to the ground)

(Speaking of this now... I remember vividly in the battle there was a scene where Oberyn was grounded like that and simply rolled away quickly, couldn't he just do it again? yeah, I know, the surprise, he was caught off guard, but DAMN  :D )

This is why I want to rewatch it. I didn't get into GoT until season 4 was airing, I binged seasons 1,2, and 3 and I felt at the time so much was being thrown at me. Now that I'm really familiar with the show I want to go back.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5745 on: September 01, 2017, 09:32:05 PM »

This is why I want to rewatch it. I didn't get into GoT until season 4 was airing, I binged seasons 1,2, and 3 and I felt at the time so much was being thrown at me. Now that I'm really familiar with the show I want to go back.

Totally. I binged 1-6 in two months and I could barely keep names straight.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5746 on: September 02, 2017, 07:55:14 AM »
I binged the first 4 in a couple weeks. It was hard as hell keeping track of characters. Honestly, I don't think I even had a feel for who was who until around season 4. When I restarted the series after season 6, I damn near forgot who the hell Robb Stark was.  :facepalm:  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5747 on: September 03, 2017, 08:40:48 AM »
Read an interesting article just now on something that now seems pretty likely.....that the Hound could have been reading the flames when he was young and told older bro the Mountain something he didn't like to hear about it and that's why the Mountain shoved his head into the fire?

And when he told him that he knew what was coming for him it was what the Hound told him all those years ago. The theory I read was that the 'what' is Arya....and that's what compelled the Hound to protect her all that time.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5748 on: September 03, 2017, 10:29:33 AM »
Read an interesting article just now on something that now seems pretty likely.....that the Hound could have been reading the flames when he was young and told older bro the Mountain something he didn't like to hear about it and that's why the Mountain shoved his head into the fire?

And when he told him that he knew what was coming for him it was what the Hound told him all those years ago. The theory I read was that the 'what' is Arya....and that's what compelled the Hound to protect her all that time.

The part about Arya being the one to come for him is a thought I had too after the finale. I possibly mentioned it here - not sure. I think we were all thinking it would be a Clegane Bros showdown, but now I'm not so sure.

The only thing that goes against the notion of The Hound reading the flames at a younger age is that he seemed to be totally sceptical and dismissive of anything spiritual until very recently, when he was pretty much saved by the Brotherhood. Now he seems a bit more open to that sort of thing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5749 on: September 03, 2017, 08:57:21 PM »

You got a link? I'd love to read that and pass it on to my kid.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5750 on: September 03, 2017, 11:37:55 PM »
This is amazing.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5751 on: September 04, 2017, 09:11:09 AM »

You got a link? I'd love to read that and pass it on to my kid.

Here's one link to an article suggesting the Hound saw the Mountains Death in the flames as a kid and that's why the Mountain shoved his face in it. The original article I referenced was actually a video with words overlaying the video talking about the same thing then adding they suspected the Hound saw Arya killing him and that's why he was so protective of her. And for the life of me I can't find it again. I thought I saw it on Yahoo News but it isn't anywhere to be found.

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/1698760/this-game-of-thrones-theory-about-the-hound-makes-a-clegane-face-off-way-more-likely-in-season-8

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5752 on: September 04, 2017, 10:05:29 AM »
Cool, thanks man.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5753 on: September 04, 2017, 10:14:02 PM »
So in my series re-watch, I just went through The Door episode again. First off, still fucking hurts. Secondly, how fucked up would it be if Hodor came with the army of the dead and they had to kill him again?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5754 on: September 05, 2017, 07:18:07 AM »
So in my series re-watch, I just went through The Door episode again. First off, still fucking hurts.

That's really the only death that made me tear up while watching it.  As a father, seeing the Red Wedding was awful and so was Stannis' decision about Shireen, but Hodor being torn apart while watching his younger self experience it in his mind was so incredibly sad.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5755 on: September 06, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »
So now that the sansa story played out, why exactly was brianne sent away again? She didn't do anything in kings landing, and now we know they were planning on offing little finger, instead of each other so i really don't get it.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5756 on: September 06, 2017, 10:19:57 AM »
So now that the sansa story played out, why exactly was brianne sent away again? She didn't do anything in kings landing, and now we know they were planning on offing little finger, instead of each other so i really don't get it.

Sansa sent her as her emissary to the big meeting in Kings Landing. She was likely to attend and report back, since Sansa is acting Lady of Winterfell and needed to stay and govern in Jon's absence, since "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell."  She also showed no interest in being near Cersei again after her captivity in earlier seasons. 

Also, by sending Brienne, you now have the ability to let her interact with The Hound and Jamie, providing two small reunions.  Brienne was able to pull Jamie aside for a second and urge him to get Cersei to listen to reason.  I'd like to think that seeing her again gave Jamie another little kick in the butt to leave Cersei behind.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5757 on: September 06, 2017, 11:18:32 AM »
I'd like to think that seeing her again gave Jamie another little kick in the butt to leave Cersei behind.

They also made it clear to the viewer that Cersei saw that encounter.  I wonder if that puts her on Cersei's shit list.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5758 on: September 06, 2017, 11:33:39 AM »
I'd like to think that seeing her again gave Jamie another little kick in the butt to leave Cersei behind.

They also made it clear to the viewer that Cersei saw that encounter.  I wonder if that puts her on Cersei's shit list.

Cersei orders The Mountain to kill her and The Hound stops him?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5759 on: September 06, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
*Peter Griffin voice*

That would be awesome.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #5760 on: September 07, 2017, 04:25:46 AM »
she probably still was under Littlefinger's manipulation at that point

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5761 on: September 26, 2017, 04:11:19 PM »
Sapochnik and David Nutter back for directing the final six episodes of GOT.
D&D to most likely direct the series finale.

This is going to be amazing.

https://ew.com/tv/2017/09/26/game-thrones-season-8-directors/
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5762 on: September 27, 2017, 01:22:23 AM »
And in other news, Jon Snow and Ygritte got married!  ;D ...well, their real life counterparts, of course, since both of them died in the show and only one was brought back to life.

It's nice however that the directors are lined up, hopefully shooting will begin soon and we won't have to wait that much for the end.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5763 on: September 27, 2017, 04:04:21 AM »
Shooting begins sometime next month, there's no indication from HBO however if the show will be broadcast next year. I imagine there's going to be a ton of more SFX shots which will take time so in all likelihood it might be 2019 when the show returns.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5764 on: September 27, 2017, 05:57:31 AM »
Shooting begins sometime next month, there's no indication from HBO however if the show will be broadcast next year. I imagine there's going to be a ton of more SFX shots which will take time so in all likelihood it might be 2019 when the show returns.

Even if they could do it in a year, my guess is that they are in no rush to get it out before 2019. HBO needs a new flagship show once this ends and I think they're banking a lot on Westworld (season 2 comes out in 2018). They don't want either show to steal a second of spotlight from the other.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5765 on: September 27, 2017, 06:14:46 AM »
I was thinking too about Westworld. It's likely meant to be GoT's "successor" in a sense.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5766 on: September 27, 2017, 06:47:12 AM »
I was thinking too about Westworld. It's likely meant to be GoT's "successor" in a sense.

That was my impression. It would bridge the gap between the end of GOT and the prequel series of GoT they are currently developing. You can probably get four or five seasons out of Westworld. At minimum three.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5767 on: September 27, 2017, 06:55:03 AM »

That was my impression. It would bridge the gap between the end of GOT and the prequel series of GoT they are currently developing. You can probably get four or five seasons out of Westworld. At minimum three.

The beauty with Westworld is they could make as many parks as they want and keep introducing new characters and intertwining existing stories.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5768 on: September 27, 2017, 08:16:12 AM »

The beauty with Westworld is they could make as many parks as they want and keep introducing new characters and intertwining existing stories.

Exactly. Plus, if one of the popular theories proves to be true.....that 'Westworld' and the other parks are actually on a different planet.....that opens a whole new facet and aspect to explore.

I'm hoping they have good success at writing this show and continue to make it interesting.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5769 on: September 27, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
I nearly squealed with delight when I saw Sapochnik returning for season 8. He made season 6's last episodes nailbiters from start to finish. That guy is good!

I'm totally fine with Westworld picking up the slack after GoT is done but I still don't want to wait all the way until 2019 for GoT. Yeah, it would be worth it, but 2018 would go so slowly...

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5770 on: September 27, 2017, 08:31:44 AM »
I don't think there's any getting around season 8 of GoT not happening until 2019. Between the (what I'm assuming massive) battle scenes and large amounts of CGI given the White Walkers and Dragons being very Prominent....I don't see how it gets completed and prepped for delivery in 2018.

I'd rather see them take their time and give us (6) two hour episodes to close out the series.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5771 on: September 27, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »
As much as a long wait sucks, fans of the series/books are used to it.  At least we know it will happen and I have faith it will be worth the wait, plus the directors being brought back is a great start.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5772 on: September 27, 2017, 09:30:54 AM »
As much as a long wait sucks, fans of the series/books are used to it.  At least we know it will happen and I have faith it will be worth the wait, plus the directors being brought back is a great start.

yeah. I can't imagine HBO and all involved are going to rush this just to get it out. I think....for as good as season 7 was.....they realized from some of the feedback that it felt rushed in parts and they'll learn from that.....and concentrate on telling the story in the best way possible and not just try to get the fans something as soon as they can.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5773 on: September 27, 2017, 10:11:26 AM »
I'd like all six episodes to be 2 hours long as well but I don't think it will happen. At most I could see the series finale being the longest episode of the series but I'd wager it would be more like 100 mins or thereabouts.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5774 on: September 27, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »
Season 8 budget to be about $15 million per episode. I can only imagine all the crazy CGI that's going to be there. The wait is going to be really excruciating.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/game-of-thrones-how-much-does-the-final-season-8-cost-per-episode-15-million