Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647191 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4445 on: June 23, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »
Honestly, I don't even know if this was my favorite episode of this season. Obviously the production values were off the charts for a TV show, but the actual story unfolding wasn't as good as some of the other "big" episodes in prior years. The battle of the bastards itself was somewhat anti-climactic as it would have made zero narrative sense to have Jon Snow brought back from the dead only to die at the hand of Ramsay a few episodes later. Jon Snow's stupidity on the battlefield made his subsequent victory less of a triumph and more of a case of his having been a dumbass and was only bailed out by additional forces arriving at the last minute, forces Sansa kept from him for... reasons unknown. It's also annoying that they went with the surprise cavalry trope twice in the same episode. Don't get me wrong, the effects, staging, and cinematography were spectacular, and I loved seeing Ramsay finally get his, but overall I probably wouldn't put this in my top 3  episodes for GoT.
Photobucket sucks.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4446 on: June 23, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
Storywise, it may not have been the best.

But the sheer brutality and awesome cinematography of the Bastard battle makes it the best for me.

Not to mention the atmosphere and 'feel'. We all knew the Knights of the Vale we're going to show up but they created a great impending doom feel and at one point i thought to myself, Holy Crap....they're gonna kill everyone....maybe Ramsay does win.

Then they hit us with sheer joy and exhilaration.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4447 on: June 23, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »
While I enjoyed the episode a ton, am I the only one who didn't think Bastardbowl was nearly as tense or thrilling as, say, Hardholme, or the battle at the wall? It definitely felt a lot more predictable to me. I was quite confident that Ramsay would lose, and was just waiting for the Knights of the Vale to show up. I was also quite confident that Jon wasn't going to die, as he was only recently brought back to life.

It was probably one of the most predictable episodes of the show. That being said, I still felt that it was rife with intensity. The scene where Jon is standing with his sword and waiting for the cavalry, with that epic music playing in the background, is one of my favorite moments in the show.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4448 on: June 23, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »
Same here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4449 on: June 23, 2016, 10:46:50 AM »
I also thought the scene where Jon has to swim up through the human press to get air was very well done. Unique and stifling. I loved how once he rose above, the camera drifted up into the air. I felt myself inhaling deeper as the camera went higher.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4450 on: June 23, 2016, 11:24:36 AM »
Who else was screaming, "EVASIVE MANEUVERS...ZIG-ZAG...ZIG-ZAG!"
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4451 on: June 23, 2016, 11:25:04 AM »
I also thought the scene where Jon has to swim up through the human press to get air was very well done. Unique and stifling. I loved how once he rose above, the camera drifted up into the air. I felt myself inhaling deeper as the camera went higher.

I had trouble watching that scene. I'm exceedingly claustrophobic and found myself trying to catch my own breath.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4452 on: June 23, 2016, 11:30:52 AM »

Yep. I think there was a lot of that being shouted.....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4453 on: June 23, 2016, 11:39:06 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4454 on: June 23, 2016, 11:39:31 AM »
My wife yelled "Serpentine!  Serpentine!"
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4455 on: June 23, 2016, 11:43:02 AM »
I was thrilled to death so see a few people die in that episode.  It was very gratifying.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4456 on: June 23, 2016, 11:47:38 AM »
I'm pretty sure a few thousand people died in that episode  :P

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4457 on: June 23, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »
I thought it was kind of neat also how they had a former loyal Stark ally now enemy....Smalljon Umber.....get killed by a former enemy now close ally.....Tormund.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4458 on: June 23, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »
I was glad to see Tormund take care of him, though typically we see the betrayed person get their revenge against the betrayer personally. That was one of the few things I expected but didn't see.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4459 on: June 23, 2016, 11:52:36 AM »
While I enjoyed the episode a ton, am I the only one who didn't think Bastardbowl was nearly as tense or thrilling as, say, Hardholme, or the battle at the wall? It definitely felt a lot more predictable to me. I was quite confident that Ramsay would lose, and was just waiting for the Knights of the Vale to show up. I was also quite confident that Jon wasn't going to die, as he was only recently brought back to life.

Yeah, it was predictable in the sense that I knew / wildly guessed that Ramsay would die, that the Vale would arrive at the last moment, and that there had to be at least some casualties among the good guys.

Hardhome was insanely awesome because - especially for non book readers - it came really out of nowhere. I was sure I was watching an intermediary, peace-mission scene and then all of a sudden all icy hell broke loose in devasting ways. Unforgettable episode.

Yes, this was brilliantly done, and while other points may have been predictable, I couldn't have imagined the hero being cut out from the battle because he was busy almost choking to death beneath a pile of corpses.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4461 on: June 23, 2016, 12:33:31 PM »
https://winteriscoming.net/2016/06/22/battle-of-the-bastards-director-miguel-sapochnik-on-why-ghost-wasnt-in-the-fight/?utm_campaign=WiC+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

As cool as it would have been to see Ghost in a battle....I'm glad he wasn't because a full on battle is no place for a 'weapon' of his nature....he's more of a small group or stealth attack.....he'd have been killed for sure. It's good to have him around still.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4462 on: June 23, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »
Another article on that site has an interview with the actor playing Rickon, he says "So far in Season 3, I want Khaleesi to be queen of Westeros."

Geez.

Even one of the actors believe Khaalesi is her name. I have no hope left for humanity.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4463 on: June 23, 2016, 12:42:12 PM »
https://winteriscoming.net/2016/06/22/battle-of-the-bastards-director-miguel-sapochnik-on-why-ghost-wasnt-in-the-fight/?utm_campaign=WiC+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

As cool as it would have been to see Ghost in a battle....I'm glad he wasn't because a full on battle is no place for a 'weapon' of his nature....he's more of a small group or stealth attack.....he'd have been killed for sure. It's good to have him around still.

Indeed. I figured it was obvious why he wasn't on the battlefield. We have enough dead wolves. I don't want to see Ghost die.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4464 on: June 23, 2016, 12:47:30 PM »

Hopefully he was out knocking up a couple females to get some more in population...

Indeed. I figured it was obvious why he wasn't on the battlefield. We have enough dead wolves. I don't want to see Ghost die.

Hopefully he was out knocking up a couple females to get some more in population...

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #4465 on: June 23, 2016, 12:47:59 PM »
Another article on that site has an interview with the actor playing Rickon, he says "So far in Season 3, I want Khaleesi to be queen of Westeros."

Geez.

Even one of the actors believe Khaalesi is her name. I have no hope left for humanity.
I saw that interview as well. Took away a bit of the sting from Rickon's death knowing that he was a filthy casual  :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4466 on: June 23, 2016, 01:31:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure a few thousand people died in that episode  :P

Yes but a few made me really happy.  Don't stomp all over my joy of seeing characters that deserve to die, die! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4467 on: June 23, 2016, 02:11:13 PM »

I didn't say that. Where the hell did that come from?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4468 on: June 23, 2016, 02:17:41 PM »

I didn't say that. Where the hell did that come from?

I wrote it....first accidentally inside the quote....then I thought I clipped it out. I just hope he was out procreating.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4469 on: June 23, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »
Maybe he's still at Castle Black? I doubt it. He's probably running wild somewhere.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4470 on: June 23, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »
Crazy ratings for the show so far and I'm not surprised.
https://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/23/game-thrones-ratings
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4471 on: June 23, 2016, 09:54:55 PM »

It was probably one of the most predictable episodes of the show. That being said, I still felt that it was rife with intensity. The scene where Jon is standing with his sword and waiting for the cavalry, with that epic music playing in the background, is one of my favorite moments in the show.

I think the approach made the best of this predictability. I knew what would happen but it was delivered in an exceedingly interesting fashion.

It's in marked contrast to Arya's plot this season.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4472 on: June 24, 2016, 07:51:39 AM »
I re-watched the battle scene last night and man it was just as good as the first time. Also, anyone catch that look Jon gave as he'd been shot off the horse and the Calvary started to charge him? He looked around at his surroundings....kind of gave a look where he admitted to himself he had done exactly what Sansa warned him not to do....then that 's when his honor surged and he ripped his sword out and prepared to fight. That was cool...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4473 on: June 24, 2016, 08:13:05 AM »
I re-watched the battle scene last night and man it was just as good as the first time. Also, anyone catch that look Jon gave as he'd been shot off the horse and the Calvary started to charge him? He looked around at his surroundings....kind of gave a look where he admitted to himself he had done exactly what Sansa warned him not to do....then that 's when his honor surged and he ripped his sword out and prepared to fight. That was cool...

Yea, that moment was AWESOME.  Sure he was in a bad spot, but that shot with the calvary coming right at him was so sick (behind the scenes said that was all REAL, no CGI there).

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4474 on: June 24, 2016, 08:17:55 AM »

Yea, that moment was AWESOME.  Sure he was in a bad spot, but that shot with the calvary coming right at him was so sick (behind the scenes said that was all REAL, no CGI there).

I particularly liked the switch from the look of "man...I F'd that up and did exactly what Sansa warned me of"...to..."Alright, LET's GO!!"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4475 on: June 24, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »
It's Davos' fault, he told him to go fail again  :biggrin:

I agree however that the scene was massively epic  :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4476 on: June 24, 2016, 04:52:27 PM »

I think the approach made the best of this predictability. I knew what would happen but it was delivered in an exceedingly interesting fashion.

It's in marked contrast to Arya's plot this season.

In regards to your first paragraph, I absolutely agree. I think at some point, in a fantasy epic, there will be some predictable occurrences to some degree. It's one of the trademarks of fantasy. Sure, GRRM is the best at throwing a curve ball at us, but some things are forever ingrained in fantasy writing. The Knights of the Vale coming to the last minute rescue, a la the Riders of Rohan in The Two Towers, is something that makes a story appealing because we want there to be those moments of desperation where the heroes have all but lost, only to be saved in the eleventh hour.

Arya's storyline this season has been uneventful and lacking any intrigue. Yes, she's going home now, but everything up until that point seemed empty.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4477 on: June 24, 2016, 06:33:43 PM »
Arya's storyline this season has been uneventful and lacking any intrigue. Yes, she's going home now, but everything up until that point seemed empty.

Totally. The single most disappointing story line in GOT with Dany's being a close second. At least Dany's picked up a bit and had killer screen time last episode. Arya's this season was total bunk.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4478 on: June 24, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »

Totally. The single most disappointing story line in GOT with Dany's being a close second. At least Dany's picked up a bit and had killer screen time last episode. Arya's this season was total bunk.

I agree about Dany. Her segment last week was quite possibly one of the best of all segments this season.  All around, last week's episode was one of the best, if not the best.

Where's Gendry?  :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4479 on: June 25, 2016, 02:57:55 AM »

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....