Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647130 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4270 on: June 15, 2016, 02:00:43 PM »
I beleive those may be the kinghts of the vale.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #4271 on: June 15, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »
Whose banners are those on the right?

I think it is House Hornwood. They are one of the Northern Houses that have joined Jon's army.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4272 on: June 15, 2016, 02:37:20 PM »
Why doesn't Cersei just go with the trial? It's only adultery. What could they do to her? Unless she's worried the incest angle will show up as well

I think that's probably it. If the incest comes to light, then Joffrey and Tommen's right to the throne is questionable. The Lannisters stand to lose a lot.

But wouldn't the faith loose a lot to if Tommen were not to be king anymore, who would be king if they ruled him as a bastard?  Not sure how that would play out.  Where's Gendry?

Yeah, true, the High Sparrow has Tommen dancing to his own tune, so he would lose out there. I'm not really sure what the Faith/High Sparrow's agenda is, but I doubt it's the salvation of everyone's souls.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4273 on: June 15, 2016, 02:50:38 PM »
I imagine that if Tommen were officially de-legitimized, the High Septon would declare some authority to name the king himself.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4274 on: June 15, 2016, 02:53:25 PM »
I imagine that if Tommen were officially de-legitimized, the High Septon would declare some authority to name the king himself.

This is true, but it makes me wonder why he was pushing the queen to start having kids if his plan was to delegitimize Tommen anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4275 on: June 15, 2016, 02:57:58 PM »
It's probably not his main plan.  But it's important to have contingencies.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #4276 on: June 15, 2016, 03:07:28 PM »
Yeah the Faith are in a good position controlling Tommen as king, but I imagine they would be pretty fine if his true parentage was exposed as well.

You can just imagine the High Sparrow's reaction: We condemn Cersei for her sins, but although Tommen has no claim to the throne, he is not to blame for his mother's crimes. Being merciful we will allow him to go and live quietly in some secure monastry somewhere far away and pray for forgiveness for existing like the pious soul he is. In the mean time since there is no obvious heir, the Faith will keep custody of the throne and await guidance from the gods as to who should rule us. And if the gods should determine that there is no worthy heir and the power should pass back to the common people, then so be it. And I would be willing to bear the terrible of burden of governing for the common people so that they don't have to...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4277 on: June 15, 2016, 05:39:28 PM »

Good point

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4278 on: June 15, 2016, 06:42:36 PM »
I stumbled upon an article that had said there were spoilers in it, but I assumed they were book spoilers and whatnot. That was until I noticed they were also spoilers for the last two episodes of the season. I could have looked away but the Battle of the Bastards has given me anxiety so I read through everything, and all I'm going to say about the last two episodes is 'oh fuck'.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4279 on: June 16, 2016, 01:11:45 AM »
The "oh fuck" you say after a compelling episode with exciting and unexpected turns, or the "oh fuck" you say after The Mountain vs the Viper?

(I'm afraid to already know the answer...)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4280 on: June 16, 2016, 05:11:13 AM »
The "oh fuck" you say after a compelling episode with exciting and unexpected turns, or the "oh fuck" you say after The Mountain vs the Viper?

(I'm afraid to already know the answer...)

The sheer amount of death, among other things. One of them, the way it is said to happen took me by surprise, but then I thought about what could have caused it and then it hit me.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4281 on: June 16, 2016, 07:15:26 AM »
You have link to said article? I don't want to read it but I do.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4282 on: June 16, 2016, 07:24:01 AM »
DON'T DO IT

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4283 on: June 16, 2016, 08:13:25 AM »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4284 on: June 16, 2016, 08:48:52 AM »
DON'T DO IT

This.

Oh come on guys. View it as a test of will power.  ;)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4285 on: June 16, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »
It is.  I have the willpower to NOT DO IT.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4286 on: June 16, 2016, 12:00:36 PM »
Episode 9 ..... Battle of the Bastards by the numbers. No Spoilers just production info on the size of the episode.

https://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/16/game-thrones-battle-bastards-numbers
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #4287 on: June 16, 2016, 12:06:09 PM »
DON'T DO IT

This.

Oh come on guys. View it as a test of will power.  ;)

but it's an even greater test of will power if the link is posted in this thread   :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4288 on: June 16, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »
I won't post it here as it was taken from something that hasn't been released yet. I'm sure that violates some rule.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4289 on: June 17, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »
I read an article which mentioned that TV & Satellite Week magazine said that this week's episode might not just be the Snow Bowl. There have been no confirmations of this. With the promotional photos and trailer showing just the one location, this could be a mixup on the magazine's part. Why would they keep something else hidden unless it was to be something really huge?

Casting has begun for Season 7  https://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-season-7-casting-begun/#more-69115

They're calling for a 16 year old northern girl and a 10 year old northern boy. This could be for more flashback scenes.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4290 on: June 17, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
Couple interesting postulations I read. One was that the 'secret' mission that Varys was on was actually a lie to Tyrion and that he has always insisted that 'the realm' is where his loyalties lie. He detests 'religion' and now that Dany is being propped up by the Lord of Light folk....he's actually on a mission to bring her down. It was speculated that his departure and the subsequent quick arrival of the Slave Master ships bent on destruction were no coincidence and that he may have even orchestrated that?

Also, read that perhaps the 'secret' that Cersi is referring to is not that wild fire is everywhere....but what if they've verified that Gendry is/has been in Kingslanding and they know who he is....an heir to the throne. so, Cersi decides to have Tommen offed and installs Gendry as King?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4291 on: June 17, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »
Couple interesting postulations I read. One was that the 'secret' mission that Varys was on was actually a lie to Tyrion and that he has always insisted that 'the realm' is where his loyalties lie. He detests 'religion' and now that Dany is being propped up by the Lord of Light folk....he's actually on a mission to bring her down. It was speculated that his departure and the subsequent quick arrival of the Slave Master ships bent on destruction were no coincidence and that he may have even orchestrated that?

Also, read that perhaps the 'secret' that Cersi is referring to is not that wild fire is everywhere....but what if they've verified that Gendry is/has been in Kingslanding and they know who he is....an heir to the throne. so, Cersi decides to have Tommen offed and installs Gendry as King?

Interesting theories.  Specifically about Gendry because the talk of Tommen not being the true King leads me to believe Gendry would be coming back to the story.

Also, Varys has shown he is still using his whispers while in Mereen (remember he tricked that Harpy girl this season) so I totally think it's very interesting timing that the masters attacked as soon as he left.  Makes me think he knew they were coming.  BUT he had been working Illiyrus (spelling?) all this time as well and he had been faithful to the Targaryans so I don't know if he would be so quick to leave them just because a Red Priest scared him.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4292 on: June 17, 2016, 12:50:12 PM »
In the books Varys' loyalties lie with another Targaryen that has not been introduced in the show, so I find it unlikely that in the show version he's not true to Dany.

Also I doubt Cersei would switch Tommen for Gendry, she clearly loves her children and to jeopardize his future, Jaimie's and Tommen's just to stick it up to the High Sparrow seems a too much harsh price to pay. She screwed her brother FFS, imagine the real world consequences even in our modern age if Diana Spencer's sons, William and Henry, were born of incest with her own brother. That would be too much to swallow even today, let alone in Westeros.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4293 on: June 17, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »

Well, with Varys, I know I said this earlier but there are still a couple of things that he does at the end of book 5 that have yet to come to pass, so maybe that's where he's heading.

Why would he have anything to do with those attacks?

I know Cersei's secret but I won't spill the beans. It's not something we would have originally thought of.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4294 on: June 17, 2016, 12:56:16 PM »
Also I doubt Cersei would switch Tommen for Gendry, she clearly loves her children and to jeopardize his future, Jaimie's and Tommen's just to stick it up to the High Sparrow seems a too much harsh price to pay. She screwed her brother FFS, imagine the real world consequences even in our modern age if Diana Spencer's sons, William and Henry, were born of incest with her own brother. That would be too much to swallow even today, let alone in Westeros.

She would never put Gendry, a bastard son of Robert, on the throne.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4295 on: June 17, 2016, 01:20:05 PM »
Yeah, I would totally forget any thought of propping up Gendry in favor of her own son.  Not gonna happen.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4296 on: June 17, 2016, 01:27:43 PM »
Some think Varys is actually heading to Dorne to secure a safe landing for Daenerys in Westeros. It's the only city that would accept her, especially considering their past with the Targaryens.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4297 on: June 17, 2016, 01:43:34 PM »
Some think Varys is actually heading to Dorne to secure a safe landing for Daenerys in Westeros. It's the only city that would accept her, especially considering their past with the Targaryens.

That makes a lot of sense, it's also closer to Mereen.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4298 on: June 17, 2016, 01:56:05 PM »
Also a way to bring Dorne back into the fold.  And a good way for them to strike back against the Lannisters.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4299 on: June 19, 2016, 02:39:43 PM »
So, tonight there'll be the ninth episode of the season, the one that historically brought the most heartwrenching and "FFFFUUUUUUUUU" moments.

Good luck everyone who still has a favorite character alive!

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4300 on: June 19, 2016, 02:54:12 PM »
AV Club has a weekly death odds article I think.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4301 on: June 19, 2016, 08:05:31 PM »
That was immensely satisfying.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4302 on: June 19, 2016, 08:10:58 PM »
No form of entertainment has put me in that much suspense. My heart was racing more than if I ran a marathon.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4303 on: June 19, 2016, 08:12:43 PM »
That was beautiful.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4304 on: June 19, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »
That was beautiful.