Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647207 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4095 on: June 07, 2016, 12:55:39 PM »
Nope. That has been all the Dorne stuff so far this season.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4096 on: June 07, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »
I could have sworn the episode that showed the flashback to Cersei and friend's childhood encounter with the fortune teller was done in a pre-opener scene.
That was the season 5 opener but was shown after the intro because right at the end of the flashback when Cersei's name is called, it echoes and then they show her in modern day.
Oh, OK.  Thanks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4097 on: June 07, 2016, 08:06:10 PM »
I bet we're not gonna see Dorne again for the rest of the season.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4098 on: June 07, 2016, 08:42:59 PM »
My guess is we'll either see them in the last episode of have some chatter about the Lannisters dealing with them
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4099 on: June 07, 2016, 11:21:51 PM »
OK.....  I'm on netflix, a season behind.  Just finished season 5 (finale).  While I understand that in the GOT's universe nothing, or no one is safe....FUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!  Not Jon Snow!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #4100 on: June 08, 2016, 12:11:37 AM »
Ok, some more steam for theories on what happened to Arya. Looking closely, you could see her walking by herself at one point during the last episode, before she was stabbed. SO are there 2 Aryas now? Was on Jaqen protecting her? Is it all some kind of test?

https://9gag.com/gag/aGxPPqZ

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4101 on: June 08, 2016, 01:07:01 AM »
OK.....  I'm on netflix, a season behind.  Just finished season 5 (finale).  While I understand that in the GOT's universe nothing, or no one is safe....FUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!  Not Jon Snow!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I know... there was an internet riot one year ago! at least his death will have severe repercussions (won't go into spoilery details here) so he won't be gone in vain.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4102 on: June 08, 2016, 03:17:48 AM »
Crimson Sunrise I really advice you to stay away from this thread until you catch up bro.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4103 on: June 08, 2016, 03:39:24 AM »
Since when does Netflix have GOT?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4104 on: June 08, 2016, 05:11:23 AM »

I was wondering that very same thing.

Ok, some more steam for theories on what happened to Arya. Looking closely, you could see her walking by herself at one point during the last episode, before she was stabbed. SO are there 2 Aryas now? Was on Jaqen protecting her? Is it all some kind of test?

It looks like it could be her, or it could be someone else training to be "no one".

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4105 on: June 08, 2016, 05:24:45 AM »

He's probably confusing HBOGO since netflix does not have it.

I'm seeing this theory come up a lot now. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4106 on: June 08, 2016, 05:35:08 AM »
I don't think that's Arya. What if it's Jaqen disguised as her? Notice how relax Arya is acting. She knows she's marked for death, which is why she went back and grabbed the sword. Where is Needle when she's walking along?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4107 on: June 08, 2016, 05:41:43 AM »
I don't think that's Arya. What if it's Jaqen disguised as her? Notice how relax Arya is acting. She knows she's marked for death, which is why she went back and grabbed the sword. Where is Needle when she's walking along?

I don't have answers for your questions, I have no idea.  I just want her to get saved by Syrio and brought back to Westeros with him and then reunited with the Hound and they make up and are bffs and then all three complete Arya's list (even though the Hound is on that list) :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4108 on: June 08, 2016, 05:43:27 AM »

Yeah, I caught that too while watching. I was like "oh, that other girl is dressed a lot like arya", not thinking much of it at the time, but now it seems to make more sense that it may have be jaqen, considering the demeanor and behavior and leaving himself wide open for attack.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4109 on: June 08, 2016, 06:26:22 AM »
I could buy into the "Jaqen H'ghar -> Arya" theory, simply because I don't think they would let her die as cheaply as that. So either she isn't quite finished off, or someone else has taken on her appearance.

The only thing that gives me pause is - can the Faceless Men take the form of anyone at all, or can they only call on their bank of faces/identities from the dead people they have "processed" in their temple? I'm not sure, and I can't seem to find any good info on it..

The other theory is that the Waif doesn't actually exist, and it's all an internal battle Arya is having between her old and new selves.

Here's a good link on the theories: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/06/read-this-theory-if-you-want-to-feel-way-better-ab.html

Online kaos2900

« Reply #4110 on: June 08, 2016, 06:36:48 AM »
Interesting theories. I was also wondering where needle was. I buy more into the idea that this was test for the waife and that Jacquin was impersonating Arya. The waife failed becasue she made him suffer.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4111 on: June 08, 2016, 06:51:25 AM »
What did Sansa write in the letter?  Someone was able to figure it out (mostly, but you get the point)

https://imgur.com/a/p2mfe

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4112 on: June 08, 2016, 07:03:08 AM »
The stuff with Arya is a bit confusing, why would Jaqen H'ghar put on an act just for the waif? He doesn't want to kill Arya but he's worried about losing the waif's respect if he lets Arya lives, maybe?
I'm excited about the score of this season to come out within the next few weeks, the musical has been spectacular.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #4113 on: June 08, 2016, 07:07:14 AM »
There is certainly enough that feels odd about that scenario to suspect there might be some Face swapping going on...

The only thing I don't get is, if that was Jaqen (or a Faceless Man) posing as Arya, then why did we follow her walking through the streets looking afraid and alone at the end of the episode? Clearly in that moment we are meant to feel the vulnerability of Arya, and it seems a strange choice if that is actually Jaqen who put himself at risk of death or suffering as part of a deliberate plan. But in the scene leading up to her geting stabbed there is definitely enough there to make it plausible that she is an imposter. Particularly the strange mannerisms and speech for Arya. I just saw this collection of images that sums up all the different circumstantial evidence nicely (not sure if it has been posted here yet).

To be honest I actually noticed the girl with the same outfit as Arya straight away when she walked past, but I never thought that was actually Arya; surely the point of wearing an outfit to try to blend in would be having clothes and hair that other regular people have too? Also, even if the theory that the Arya that was stabbed is an imposter is true, it still wouldn't really make sense for the real Arya to be strolling right past her in the street, since a big part of what makes the imposter theory plausible is that the real Arya may be in hiding.

Anyway, we will definitely find the answer and I think get the conclusion to Arya's Faceless Man training arc in the next episode. Also, supposedly episodes 8, 9 and 10 are among the longest Game Of Thrones episodes we have had (and that's the reason some episodes this season have been on the short side; they wanted to make these episodes longer than usual). I think we are set up for an epic run of episodes to end this season after a couple of quieter episodes of build up since the Night's King attacked Bran's cave.

I loved the Hound's reintroduction and storyline this episode. It felt quite distinct compared to regular Game Of Thrones, and reminded me quite a lot of the TV show LOST (something I've seen other people online say as well). The aesthetic of the septon's camp in the hills is quite reminiscent of something like the Others or Dharma in LOST, and the storyline was quite like something from that show as well, but I think the most striking similarity was that intro: LOST frequently began with a sequence where the viewer wasn't immediately sure where they were or what the significance was, then they revealed the presence of a particular character or object and it became clear. That was exactly how things were done with the Hound, and I think it was done really well.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4114 on: June 08, 2016, 07:33:10 AM »
Many interesting theories on Arya....of which I really liked the link RuRoRul provided, seemed to be the most comprehensive. If anything it's safe to say something is awry with that situation because Arya was kind of out of character with her behavior.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4115 on: June 08, 2016, 07:50:36 AM »
Also, supposedly episodes 8, 9 and 10 are among the longest Game Of Thrones episodes we have had (and that's the reason some episodes this season have been on the short side; they wanted to make these episodes longer than usual). I think we are set up for an epic run of episodes to end this season after a couple of quieter episodes of build up since the Night's King attacked Bran's cave.

I don't think I've ever been so excited for a stretch of episodes ever as I am for these last three.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4116 on: June 08, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »
The title of the next episode is "No One" so I assume we will get resolution on the Arya storyline.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4117 on: June 08, 2016, 08:53:29 AM »
The title of the next episode is "No One" so I assume we will get resolution on the Arya storyline.

It'd be funny if it were just non stop slow camera moving sequences throughout all the different landscapes, locations and imagery for an hour and there were literally no one on camera the entire time.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4118 on: June 08, 2016, 08:57:36 AM »
Isn't the finale listed as 90 minutes long? Hype.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4119 on: June 08, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »
Isn't the finale listed as 90 minutes long? Hype.
No clue.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4120 on: June 08, 2016, 10:13:41 AM »

It'd be funny if it were just non stop slow camera moving sequences throughout all the different landscapes, locations and imagery for an hour and there were literally no one on camera the entire time.

:lol :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4121 on: June 08, 2016, 12:01:29 PM »
The other theory is that the Waif doesn't actually exist, and it's all an internal battle Arya is having between her old and new selves.

Please Seven Gods, no. This is one of those cheap trick that works exactly once or at best twice in the entire history of books, movies and any other form and entertainment, and the more it gets repeated, the more it feels contrived and borderline "It was all a dream" as an excuse.

I agree that several things don't add up, and that from a storytelling point if you're gonna kill a character, it makes zero sense to have her wounded in one episode and then simply die in the other - imagine for a moment that Joffrey was a beloved character and he starts to cough at the end of an episode only to die at the beginning of the next... what??? makes no sense - , but whatever the explanation is, please don't let it be "She imagined the other person".

BTW, I had to look up what the hell a Waif was. Was she even mentioned by name or it's just the way the script addressed her and somehow the name got known?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:19:42 PM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4122 on: June 08, 2016, 12:03:55 PM »
what the hell a Waif was. Was she even mentioned by name or it's just the way the script addressed her and somehow the name got known?

I was curious about that as well? I just noticed that people started calling her that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4123 on: June 08, 2016, 12:06:03 PM »
what the hell a Waif was. Was she even mentioned by name or it's just the way the script addressed her and somehow the name got known?

I was curious about that as well? I just noticed that people started calling her that.

I don't recall that name being used in the show, but it's what she is called in the books and has been referenced by that name in After the Thrones.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4124 on: June 08, 2016, 12:40:19 PM »
The Waif doesn't have a name in the books and that is the name given to her by Arya.

https://breakingt.com/collections/the-game-of-thrones-collection/products/make-westeros-great-again    :lol

The last two episode titles have been confirmed by HBO. Will episode 9 be in one location, like battles have been in the past in the episodes Watchers on the Wall and Blackwater.   https://watchersonthewall.com/hbo-schedule-confirms-last-two-episode-titles-game-thrones-season-6/#more-67823

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4125 on: June 08, 2016, 01:23:38 PM »
With three episodes left already, I hope the Battle of the Bastards won't take up the entire episode. Of course it will be the most important thing of the episode, like the Red Wedding or Hardhome, but I hope we get to see other stuff as well, since the contrary would mean we have only two episode lefts and 60 minutes of Jon Snow kicking Ramsay's ass. Not that I wouldn't mind if that's the actual outcome  :laugh: (I actually think it will be so, what I'm afraid of is other casualties in Jon's team... and anyway, it will be a short lived victory, since the White Walkers will surely break over)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4126 on: June 08, 2016, 01:29:19 PM »
With three episodes left already, I hope the Battle of the Bastards won't take up the entire episode. Of course it will be the most important thing of the episode, like the Red Wedding or Hardhome, but I hope we get to see other stuff as well, since the contrary would mean we have only two episode lefts and 60 minutes of Jon Snow kicking Ramsay's ass. Not that I wouldn't mind if that's the actual outcome  :laugh: (I actually think it will be so, what I'm afraid of is other casualties in Jon's team... and anyway, it will be a short lived victory, since the White Walkers will surely break over)

Seems like that's going to be the case.  If it's well done like the other two episodes were, I'm fine with it.  I will say that with the shortened seasons coming up, this does feel like we aren't getting enough attention to other characters and storylines if we dedicate an entire episode to one. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4127 on: June 08, 2016, 01:37:29 PM »

I'd bet it's not the entire episode but the major chunk of it....40+ minutes.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4128 on: June 08, 2016, 01:39:06 PM »
Stole these from your timeline on FB John....i thought they were funny    :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4129 on: June 08, 2016, 01:44:02 PM »
 :lol

There are so many good ones on that Facebook page where I found them.