Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647079 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3780 on: May 16, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »
House Forrester if the TellTale video game is canon

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3781 on: May 16, 2016, 05:11:02 PM »
Do you play  that game?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3782 on: May 16, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »
A couple of nods for actors on the last episode:
- As usual Iwan Rheon is boss, just an amazing actor with whom the character grew from someone I thought was going to be a sideshow guest spot back when he was torturing Theon to the psychotic villain who is now the "big bad" in north Westeros. In this episode there's a pretty cool moment when he's trying to scare Osha by talking about his banner and what it means so she asks him "Do you eat them after?", he says no so she goes "Then I've seen worse" and he has this big smile on his face as like a kid with a new toy since his sadistic nature hasn't been tested or pushed in a while, at least since his girlfriend died, real well done Rheon.
- Yara Grejoy/Gemma Whelan's scenes this season have been pretty great, I like how when she was standing by the fire place she really looked like her dad, even when she yelled at Theon it was like she was doing an impression of him.
- Sansa/Sophie Turner's face as she ran to embrace Jon Snow  :tup
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3783 on: May 16, 2016, 10:47:27 PM »

I really can't take this serious. Old Nan's pies and the good soup aren't important to the plot, Jon's bond with Arya is obviously more important to the plot than that small talk they had.

*Sansa

Uh, no, I meant exactly what I wrote.

And if Telltale video game is canon, House Forrester is mostly defeated at this point I think. The show time-frame right now is past the game's time-frame. But I don't think the game is canon anyway.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3784 on: May 17, 2016, 05:37:18 AM »
I don't think most of the northern houses matter in the show, if they haven't been talked about then I don't think they get included at this point, such as House Forrester.

I think we see the Manderlays and that's it besides The Umbers and Karstarks.  Not basing this on anything than my own feelings.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3785 on: May 17, 2016, 05:44:36 AM »

I really can't take this serious. Old Nan's pies and the good soup aren't important to the plot, Jon's bond with Arya is obviously more important to the plot than that small talk they had.

*Sansa

Uh, no, I meant exactly what I wrote.

And if Telltale video game is canon, House Forrester is mostly defeated at this point I think. The show time-frame right now is past the game's time-frame. But I don't think the game is canon anyway.

A misunderstanding on my part. You left it as one sentence so I assumed the soup and pies were referring to the discussion with Sansa.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3786 on: May 17, 2016, 05:49:51 AM »
Well, they had some Manderly guy on the show - he was killed at the Red Wedding and had absolutely no lines, but he wore a mermaid pin and D&D confirmed it was one of Manderly sons I think, so there's that.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3787 on: May 17, 2016, 06:00:39 AM »
From the North, off the top of my head, you have Umber, Karstark, Mormont, Forrester, Manderly, Glover, Hornwood, Cerwyn, Cassel, and Reed. Is the Reed house big? Don't forget the secret that House Reed, or one specific member, knows. I don't know how big any of those houses are, but just because they haven't been mentioned thoroughly doesn't mean they won't play a part. Obviously we know certain ones, such as Mormont, are irrelevant, but I would imagine there are others we haven't considered.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3788 on: May 17, 2016, 06:06:26 AM »
The show has limited resources and a large enough cast as it is which is why I doubt they start adding northern houses that play little to know serious role that can't just be combined to a couple houses.

Forgot about Reed.  We saw Howland for the first time (albeit a young Howland) so maybe they do play a role as well.  I would hope so, we even were shown how Howland is Meera's father.  I doubt they mention all of this if that family doesn't play a role, but I guess it's possible that role is mostly in flashbacks via Bran.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3789 on: May 17, 2016, 06:11:31 AM »
We're six books into the series, so I doubt we'll add anymore major houses, so we have to assume Jon Snow's support comes from somewhere else. He won't take back Winterfell with just the wildlings and we know the Karstarks are no longer loyal to the Starks, unless of course something happens and Jon goes to convince them otherwise. That's always a possibility. Maybe he can strike a deal and use the viciousness of Ramsay to his advantage. I would think that anyone who is loyal to the Boltons at this point are well aware of how unhinged Ramsay is. If he's willing to kill his father and baby brother to get what he wants, he won't stop at anything.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3790 on: May 17, 2016, 06:27:45 AM »
Saw this online this morning

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3791 on: May 17, 2016, 07:06:57 AM »
lol

I don't think there's any coming back from that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3792 on: May 17, 2016, 08:12:22 AM »
I'm a bit disappointed with Arya getting her eyes back, books and show both. When she lost her eyes was a really cool and "oh shit" moment. And it sort of lessens that impact. My bandmate theorized that she'd be like a GoT Daredevil, which I agree would be really cool.

Besides, this is visually quite awesome:

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3793 on: May 17, 2016, 08:29:15 AM »
For "showwatchers" The big "shocks" at the end of season 5 was Jon's death and Arya's blindness.  Compare that to season one where Ned was killed and Brandon was crippled. The consequences of the first few seasons were real and final, where the "shocks" as of late are quickly reversed a mere couple of episodes later.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3794 on: May 17, 2016, 09:04:35 AM »
... Or the show/books are all about the slow rise of the Starks to face Dany. Since they are!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3795 on: May 17, 2016, 09:17:36 AM »
Well Emilia said she didn't want to do any gratitious nude scenes but she was willing to do nude scenes if she felt the plot demanded that. Wonder why her hair didn't burn though.
When they call her 'The Unburnt', they're talking about her hair.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3796 on: May 17, 2016, 10:02:45 AM »
Something I'm also sad we didn't get to see, and basically never get to see, is someone reacting to the White Walkers being real.

"Hey Sansa, you know those absolutely horrible ghost stories we were told about the White Walkers that everything think are old myths? Yeah they're real, and they're coming here with an army of zombies to destroy the world."
"Oh shit, better eat some soup then."

I would love for people to start acknowledging that, and am looking forward to a time where people will have to. Like, how would Ramsey react to that? Or Tyrion? Or freakin' Cercei? Cercei and the White Walkers are such different storylines that it would be very weird to see her actually dealing with the issue. If any of them is still alive by then.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3797 on: May 17, 2016, 10:50:46 AM »
I'm actually more upset that we didn't get a convo between Jon and Sansa about his experience in Hardhome.  I think that is way more important than Sansa's unknowledgeable update on Arya.  I sense we will get more convos about this later. 

Also, as for Cersei's reaction to white walkers, I'd imagine it will be similar to her reaction about the dragons.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3798 on: May 17, 2016, 11:07:31 AM »
I'm actually more upset that we didn't get a convo between Jon and Sansa about his experience in Hardhome.  I think that is way more important than Sansa's unknowledgeable update on Arya.  I sense we will get more convos about this later. 

Also, as for Cersei's reaction to white walkers, I'd imagine it will be similar to her reaction about the dragons.

Well, I'm just a big fan of Jon's bond with Arya in the books, so naturally that's what I wanted to see. :biggrin: And while it might be less important for watchers and the plot, it should be actually very important to Jon.

I agree about Hardhome point though.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3799 on: May 17, 2016, 11:25:23 AM »

Yeah, based on the conversation shown they must have already talked about a lot of stuff. Sansa asked Jon "Where will you go?" so she obviously knows he plans to leave Castle Black which presumably means that the whole "I was killed" probably came up.

It'd be nice to see Jon get some news about Arya, but Sansa with her "She went missing when I was captured and I knew nothing about what happened to her, then recently this woman I met told me that some indeterminate amount of time ago she saw Arya wandering around, but immediately lost her so we still have no idea where she is" iknowledge sn't exactly the best person to deliver it. Considering the other important stuff that Jon and Sansa could actually be shown talking about on screen, I'm fine with Arya updates being left off screen.

Saw this image about Jon and Sansa's conversation I thought was pretty funny:
https://imgur.com/a/dSYCJ

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3800 on: May 17, 2016, 11:45:04 AM »

Yeah, but everyone knows dragons are/were real. They've only been believed dead for like hundred years. White Walkers are 8000 years gone into history, and are a much bigger threat than the dragons. So unquestionable evidence that they're coming back would probably be a bigger deal than the dragons.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3801 on: May 17, 2016, 11:49:53 AM »

Yeah, but everyone knows dragons are/were real. They've only been believed dead for like hundred years. White Walkers are 8000 years gone into history, and are a much bigger threat than the dragons. So unquestionable evidence that they're coming back would probably be a bigger deal than the dragons.

My point was more that she didn't care or seem alarmed at all about Dragons in Essos that are aiming for the iron throne.  White Walkers north of the wall that havent been seen in whatever amount of time would make me think she would care even less.  Also, when Tyrion returns to Kings Landing in Season 2 and tells Cersei about his visit to the wall, she also mocks him.  I forget the line, but something about tales and not being real.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3802 on: May 17, 2016, 11:53:36 AM »

She'd probably ask for wine.

Saw this image about Jon and Sansa's conversation I thought was pretty funny:
https://imgur.com/a/dSYCJ

Haha, indeed!

Anyway, a thought: We, the viewers, will see through Bran's flashback  the Tower of Joy scene, which most likely will confirm what has been speculated for years all along. If that will happen, we'll see also Howland Reed being there, so what if once Winterfell is taken by the anti-Ramsay league and hopefully Rickon makes out of it alive, they all go "Whee we have a Stark now! and Jon is a half Stark as well" or something, and then Howland goes "Well, since we're talking about it"...

Or even better, as cliched as it may be, something along the lines of "Rickon can have Winterfell and rule it... after all, I'm only a bastard" and Howland going "Well, he can have Winterfell... but you can have the Seven Kingdoms". That would be a nice way to end the season  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3803 on: May 17, 2016, 12:00:21 PM »
Anyway, a thought: We, the viewers, will see through Bran's flashback  the Tower of Joy scene, which most likely will confirm what has been speculated for years all along. If that will happen, we'll see also Howland Reed being there, so what if once Winterfell is taken by the anti-Ramsay league and hopefully Rickon makes out of it alive, they all go "Whee we have a Stark now! and Jon is a half Stark as well" or something, and then Howland goes "Well, since we're talking about it"...

Or even better, as cliched as it may be, something along the lines of "Rickon can have Winterfell and rule it... after all, I'm only a bastard" and Howland going "Well, he can have Winterfell... but you can have the Seven Kingdoms". That would be a nice way to end the season  ;D

No offense, but this sounds like a total cheese-fest to be honest. :biggrin:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3804 on: May 17, 2016, 12:07:44 PM »

My point was more that she didn't care or seem alarmed at all about Dragons in Essos that are aiming for the iron throne.  White Walkers north of the wall that havent been seen in whatever amount of time would make me think she would care even less.  Also, when Tyrion returns to Kings Landing in Season 2 and tells Cersei about his visit to the wall, she also mocks him.  I forget the line, but something about tales and not being real.

I didn't mean when someone she doesn't care about comes telling tales. I meant more if the time comes when she has to deal with the fact that it's real, when she can't mock it away and has to face that reality.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3805 on: May 17, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »
I know, but she still might, as MirrorMask said, she might ask for wine  :lol

No offense, but this sounds like a total cheese-fest to be honest. :biggrin:

I actually kind of like it.  Makes sense in storytelling way.  Maybe the Reeds save Winterfell too, in a surprisingly fashion, and boom here is this new character who is actually pretty important who shares the news with everyone since the timing would be right.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3806 on: May 17, 2016, 08:53:20 PM »
Wait so Howland Reed is alive? For some reason I thought he died before the events of the show started. Where is he?!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3807 on: May 17, 2016, 09:11:18 PM »
I'm assuming he's hangin with the crannogmen waiting for the right time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3808 on: May 18, 2016, 05:44:48 AM »
Wait so Howland Reed is alive? For some reason I thought he died before the events of the show started. Where is he?!

Looks like he took a nice wound in that flashback scene, but as of now there is no reason to think he died.

He still has to father Meera and Jojen.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3809 on: May 18, 2016, 06:14:08 AM »
Just read this theory on what the High Sparrow told Tommen in secrecy last episode

https://time.com/4337568/game-of-thrones-theory-high-sparrow-tommen-secret/

The obvious thought when watching that scene was that the High Sparrow told Tommen about his parentage, but maybe not and actually this makes a lot of sense.

Online kaos2900

« Reply #3810 on: May 18, 2016, 06:22:16 AM »
There is a rumor floating around that Tommen begins to side with the Faith and the Mountain offs him. Personally, I hope this turns out to be true since we all know he's going to die at some point it would be great to see him die because of Cersei's choices.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3811 on: May 18, 2016, 07:58:56 AM »
Why would Loras know about Joffrey? Margaery herself didn't until Olenna straight out told her. I wouldn't be surprised if neither Mance knows about it.

After all the Purple Wedding was all in benefit of Margaery, it's not that the political situation of the Tyrell changed, Margaery was still to be queen to a blonde "Baratheon" kid.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3812 on: May 18, 2016, 08:09:56 AM »
Why would Loras know about Joffrey? Margaery herself didn't until Olenna straight out told her. I wouldn't be surprised if neither Mance knows about it.

After all the Purple Wedding was all in benefit of Margaery, it's not that the political situation of the Tyrell changed, Margaery was still to be queen to a blonde "Baratheon" kid.

And Margery is close to Loras, it's possible she told him.  It's possible Olenna told him, he is the leading knight of their family.  It's all just theory so who knows.  Loras did look awful in that cell, way worse than Cersei or Margery ever did IMO.  May not mean anything though.  Also, I firmly believe Mance knows none of this, he is an idiot  :lol 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3813 on: May 18, 2016, 11:27:55 AM »

And Margery is close to Loras, it's possible she told him.  It's possible Olenna told him, he is the leading knight of their family.  It's all just theory so who knows.  Loras did look awful in that cell, way worse than Cersei or Margery ever did IMO.  May not mean anything though. Also, I firmly believe Mance knows none of this, he is an idiot :lol

Yeah, I mean, he was burned at the Wall in previous season. :neverusethis:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3814 on: May 18, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
 :lol Mace, Mance  :facepalm: