Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647127 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3605 on: May 09, 2016, 05:39:18 AM »
Never got the Olly hate.  Sure he stabbed Jon Snow.... but he saw the Wildings murder his family and destroy his village. That sort of thing tends to stay with you, especially if you're young and naive.

In last year's finale, Jon "died" and Arya was blind.  Two episodes later, Jon's back and three episodes later, Arya isn't blind any more. What's next, Bran's legs gonna get fix? Theon's peepee gonna grow back?

Now, you're just being silly.  ;)

I get the hate for Olly. Jon is a favorite character of many people, so naturally people react harshly when he's stabbed by someone who Jon treated kindly.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3606 on: May 09, 2016, 05:46:48 AM »
For some reason, I didn't think Jon would leave the Wall. Obviously it makes sense but it seems more like he left just to leave: no indication whatsoever what he's actually going to do. Is he going north or south?! He has compelling reasons for both.

Plus, how's he gonna get his ice dragon now?! :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3607 on: May 09, 2016, 05:56:05 AM »
I think my hate for Olly qualifies as a book-snobbery, because Olly did all the things in Jon storyline. Killing Ygritte? That's Olly. "Edd, fetch me a block"? Nah, it's "Olly, my sword". Jon dying and remembering Arya and Ghost? Nope, his last word is "Olly". Jon waking up from the dead and his first thought is what, his siblings, the White Walkers, the wildlings who might be rampaging for all he knows? No, it's "Olly, he stabbed me in my heart". I know this might be irrational but well, can't help.

Tl;dr - fuck Olly. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3608 on: May 09, 2016, 06:23:20 AM »
Fuck Olly, indeed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3609 on: May 09, 2016, 06:27:17 AM »
See. Hef gets it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3610 on: May 09, 2016, 06:40:42 AM »
I bet he named his sword and everything.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3611 on: May 09, 2016, 06:54:05 AM »
I think my hate for Olly qualifies as a book-snobbery, because Olly did all the things in Jon storyline. Killing Ygritte? That's Olly. "Edd, fetch me a block"? Nah, it's "Olly, my sword". Jon dying and remembering Arya and Ghost? Nope, his last word is "Olly". Jon waking up from the dead and his first thought is what, his siblings, the White Walkers, the wildlings who might be rampaging for all he knows? No, it's "Olly, he stabbed me in my heart". I know this might be irrational but well, can't help.

Tl;dr - fuck Olly. :lol

Ygritte shot his Dad in the head!

I must be the only one who didn't blame Olly for what he did/how he felt considered what he had been through, and the influence Thorne apparently had over him.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3612 on: May 09, 2016, 06:58:27 AM »
That sword fight with Arthur Dane was possibly the best sword fight I've seen on GOT. Excellent choreography and it looked so fluid esp the 4 on 1 part. Right before the fight I'm thinking to myself, another run of the mill sword fight ho-hum, then my eyes widened as the fight progressed. Great stuff. The Bran stuff is finally paying off after 4 seasons of visions and signs, we're finally seeing what Bran is supposed to do -well almost he's still learning everything.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3613 on: May 09, 2016, 07:48:28 AM »
Another awesome jaw dropping sunday night.

The sword fight was SICK, I'm not usually so keened in on sword fights, fun and all, but I don't recall too many that make me sit back and say, whoa that was awesome.  So Bran must learn the truth about eveyrthing I guess, such as the history of westeros?  Before he is allowed to leave and make an impact.  Oh also nice call out to Howland Reed, Meera's father.

Another long lasting character is dead, see ya Alliser Thorne!  Olly... see ya!  That was awesome.  The next Lord Commander is now Edd.  Looks like Jon will get his Wildling army and take on the Boltons, but it remains to be seen if he will be able to rescue Rickon (and if Sansa makes it there before he leaves). 

With the death of Shaggy Dog, I'd imagine Rickon isn't making it out of the series alive.  Nice surprise to see him and Asha back, we all knew Bran was returning this season but I did not know Rickon would be back too.

Nice to see Sam and Gilly

Arya's storyline may be my least favorite this season.  Just more training and it seems like nothing is going to change.  I find it hard to believe she truly becomes no one.  Maybe she actually does, but then somehow finds needle again and then goes on her vengeance.

The first small council meeting in awhile!  Really awesome to see Queen of Thorns, Kevin Lannister the hand of the king, pyrcelle being pycelle, and Mace Tyrell is back although no word on his fallen Kingsguard  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3614 on: May 09, 2016, 08:15:46 AM »
Arya's storyline may be my least favorite this season. 

Nah...not for me. I've been good with it. The one I care least about right now is Daenaryus. It's extremely boring.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3615 on: May 09, 2016, 08:16:32 AM »

Nah...not for me. I've been good with it. The one I care least about right now is Daenaryus. It's extremely boring.
I agree, they need to move on that one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3616 on: May 09, 2016, 08:37:18 AM »

I'll agree with that too, but at least we are learning more about the dothraki and their traditions through her story.  Right now wiht Arya, it's not learning anything but seeing her grow stronger through the same thing week after week.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3617 on: May 09, 2016, 08:53:27 AM »

I'll agree with that too, but at least we are learning more about the dothraki and their traditions through her story.  Right now wiht Arya, it's not learning anything but seeing her grow stronger through the same thing week after week.

But she is growing....and I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks that she's "playing" the man with no name just to get what she wants. Which, if she is....I'm sure he knows it as well.

The Dany storyline isn't really doing anything....and frankly, I don't really care about Dothraki tradition. I want to see Dany get back to Mereen, let her Dragons feed and eat anything and everything they can to get huge....then attack and clean house. Like I said, I'm just bored with where they have taken that whole side of the narrative.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #3618 on: May 09, 2016, 08:59:20 AM »
On another side note regarding Dany, does anyone remember what the show did with the Dothraki that came to her on the ship to Astapur when she got the unsullied army? Do they stay in Astapur or are they with her in Mehreen? I don't seem to recall anything about them after Dany gets the unsullied.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3619 on: May 09, 2016, 09:05:58 AM »
On another side note regarding Dany, does anyone remember what the show did with the Dothraki that came to her on the ship to Astapur when she got the unsullied army? Do they stay in Astapur or are they with her in Mehreen? I don't seem to recall anything about them after Dany gets the unsullied.

hmm, I don't recall many dothraki being left at that point after what remained seems to be slaughtered in Qarth, but I'd imagine what she had left came with her but they just aren't characters worth showing on TV.  I could be wrong though.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3620 on: May 09, 2016, 09:10:56 AM »
No what I mean is after Qarth there were a bunch that came with her on the ship to Astapur. They showed them in the beginning of season 3 puking on the deck saying how they never traveled on the sea before, I'm asking what happened to those Dothraki, do they travel with her to Yunkai and Mehreen. It just seemed like they got dropped from the narrative once Dany acquired the unsullied. It's not a major plot point for me, but I'm just curious if it was ever mentioned since I can't remember if their presence/absence was ever acknowledged.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3621 on: May 09, 2016, 09:13:41 AM »
No what I mean is after Qarth there were a bunch that came with her on the ship to Astapur. They showed them puking on the deck saying how they never traveled on the sea before, I'm asking what happened to those Dothraki, do they travel with her to Yunkai and Mehreen. It just seemed like they got dropped from the narrative once Dany acquired the unsullied. It's not a major plot point for me, but I'm just curious.

I think you got it, they just aren't important characters.  The bloodriders from season 2 who stuck with her got murdered and they were the only characters who were consistently shown to be close to Dany.  Is one of them still alive in the books? I think the show killed them off early or something.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3622 on: May 09, 2016, 11:10:23 AM »

The book readers aren't learning anything about the Dothraki and their traditions.  All of this stuff the fate of the khaleesis of fallen khals) was covered fairly extensively when she was with Kal Drogo.  So they need to get on with it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3623 on: May 09, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »
Honestly if they just stuck with Jon Snow and Ramsey for the rest of the season I would be very content. The only other thing I have interest in is seeing that priest get his head smashed in but I have a feeling the entire thing is going to backfire on the Lannisters.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3624 on: May 09, 2016, 11:28:35 AM »

The book readers aren't learning anything about the Dothraki and their traditions.  All of this stuff the fate of the khaleesis of fallen khals) was covered fairly extensively when she was with Kal Drogo.  So they need to get on with it.

I dont recall knowing all the khals go to some sort of overlord (forgot exactly how she described the people) to instruct them on what cities and people to conquer next.  If that was in the books, then I forgot, but was not in the show.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3625 on: May 09, 2016, 11:45:32 AM »
Dany's storyline has many ups and downs in terms of my interest, I think it's stagnated a bit since she got to Mehreen since she's been there since season 4 and not sure if they're leaving anytime soon by the looks of it. Though I have to say I did like the sons of harpy storyline last season and I'm assuming it's going to get resolved this season.

The Arya plot kinda did move fast with her eyesight restored and all but my guess is there's a lot more ahead which might explain them giving her sight back so soon. I wonder if it will tie back to the red woman's words back in season 3 when she says we'll meet again. They seem very far away right now to see that happen anytime soon even if it does happen.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3626 on: May 09, 2016, 12:02:10 PM »
I've liked Dany since the start but her storyline is starting to feel really drawn out and she's starting to feel a bit like a spoiled girl who calls for daddy when problems arrive. (In this case her army) Her whole routine with "Do you know who I am?.. -insert 25 nicknames/titles-" and vague threats when in reality she is pretty useless without her dragons or army to fight for her.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3627 on: May 09, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »
Haha yeah was going to say it's a joke almost now every time she gets angry. I AM DANY TARGY MOTHER OF DRAGONZZ!! FIRST UNBORN SECOND REBORN!!!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3628 on: May 09, 2016, 12:15:48 PM »
I don't have a problem with Dany's story, it's not the most interesting right now, but it certainly isn't "really boring".

And I don't get the hate Arya's story is getting. I thought her montage was amazing. And on the subject on it being her eyes coming back too quickly, that whole thing was over pretty quickly in the books too. Not saying that makes it all fine, just saying.

Another great episode. This season is already clearly stronger than the last one.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3629 on: May 09, 2016, 12:34:18 PM »
I've liked Dany since the start but her storyline is starting to feel really drawn out and she's starting to feel a bit like a spoiled girl who calls for daddy when problems arrive. (In this case her army) Her whole routine with "Do you know who I am?.. -insert 25 nicknames/titles-" and vague threats when in reality she is pretty useless without her dragons or army to fight for her.

Boring as it is, at least she's not following the expected arc and becoming the same as her brother was. Each of these "do you know who I am?!" moments have been very Viserys. Imagine the backlash if she actually does start going insane :rollin

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3630 on: May 09, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »
Dany's story is dragging right now. Are Daario and Captain Friendzone going to spend all of season 6 looking for her? Tyrion unchained the dragons, so let's see some kind of action with them.

Now Arya is up to where she left off in A Dance With Dragons so next time we see her will be something fresh. I'm glad they didn't drag out her blindness for too long.

Someone kill Tommen already. His profuse whining needs to end. I'm starting to miss Joffrey.

Jon Snow is going to kick some ass this season. My favorite story line went from Dany's to Jon's. He can't become Jon Stark since Stannis isn't around to pardon him, but I feel like he's going to get an impressive amount of wildlings, make a deal with them, and get them to fight for him so he can take back Winterfell. Those are the Bolton banners burning that Melisandre saw. They were from Jon's battle not Stannis'.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3631 on: May 09, 2016, 12:51:26 PM »
The best part about Dany's story atm is her not being in Mereen, Mereen is so much more interesting now with Tyrion and Varys.

Also not mentioned here was that little inside look at Varys whisperers and how he gets his information.  Really cool to see that lady from last season come back to give up info to Varys.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3632 on: May 09, 2016, 01:00:56 PM »
True. Mereen was getting dragged out so having the odd couple there now is pretty awesome.

I'm still waiting to see what's going to happen with what Varys does at the end of A Dance With Dragons. I get the feeling The Mountain is going to wind up doing that.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3633 on: May 09, 2016, 01:07:46 PM »
I'm just sad they didn't show Arya warging to pass the blindness test so to speak as it happens in the books. But I guess I kinda liked her scenes in this episode anyway. Djawadi nailed it, great soundtrack all around.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3634 on: May 09, 2016, 01:13:56 PM »
Varys and Tyrion being in Mehreen is awesome just like when Tyrion was the hand of the king in King's Landing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3635 on: May 09, 2016, 01:20:46 PM »
Varys and Tyrion being in Mehreen is awesome just like when Tyrion was the hand of the king in King's Landing.

yup and those were some of the best dialogue scenes of season 2

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3636 on: May 09, 2016, 01:52:15 PM »
I hate to be a pain but can we please tiny text any book related speculation for us non book viewers? I didn't realize there were still some storylines that had some book material left in them.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3637 on: May 09, 2016, 02:05:58 PM »

They've been needing to move on that one for a couple of seasons/books now. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3638 on: May 09, 2016, 03:05:16 PM »
Ygritte sends her regards.

Big FUUUUUUUUUUUU moment when I saw Osha and then I realized "oh damn if Osha's there maybe Rick..." and then another major FUUUUUUUU, damn it!!!!

The Queen of Thorns is always a badass. And Tyrion's attempts at getting a conversation going are hilarious  ;D

Btw, after the Purple Wedding, this is the second time that Game of Thrones made us cheer for the death of a young kid, ha!

EDIT: I was almost forgetting... I was thinking "wow, this is it? they're showing it already now?" during the Tower of Joy flashback.

Can we basically give for certain now that this is how the R+L=J theory will finally come to life?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3639 on: May 09, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »
Hoping the Umbers are out for some Stark-flavoured revenge.