Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 650971 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3360 on: April 18, 2016, 10:44:48 AM »
Well, we know the theory about The Hound and it's certainly a possibility.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3361 on: April 18, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »
Finished watching season 4 last night, need to see if I can get through season 5 this week.

One thing I noticed, this show throws lots of hints right out in the open that get over looked because it doesn't seem like anything important.

Such as Littlefinger telling Sansa... "some people die squatting on their chamber pots" and then a couple episodes later that is where Tywin dies.

The full quote is: People die at their dinner tables (like Joffrey and Robb Stark and company), they die in their beds (like Shae), they die squatting over their chamber pots (like Tywin and Elvis),
Everybody dies sooner or later (like, well, everyone else who is dead).

So if one wants, more than a hint is seen in that sentence.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3362 on: April 18, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »
Finished watching season 4 last night, need to see if I can get through season 5 this week.

One thing I noticed, this show throws lots of hints right out in the open that get over looked because it doesn't seem like anything important.

Such as Littlefinger telling Sansa... "some people die squatting on their chamber pots" and then a couple episodes later that is where Tywin dies.

The full quote is: People die at their dinner tables (like Joffrey and Robb Stark and company), they die in their beds (like Shae), they die squatting over their chamber pots (like Tywin and Elvis),
Everybody dies sooner or later (like, well, everyone else who is dead).

So if one wants, more than a hint is seen in that sentence.

That was just one example I had off the top of my head, while rewatching that season there were a couple more and when I finally got to the end of the season and heard that quote about the Hound, my eyes opened very wide (granted, I knew this was already a fan theory so I had that in the back of my mind as well).

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3363 on: April 18, 2016, 01:07:49 PM »
We've been rewatching season 5 and man the DC universe folks completely missed out on getting Ramsay to play the Joker in the new movies, he's freakin perfect for that role.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3364 on: April 18, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »
At least they got Joffrey for the Batman movies  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3365 on: April 18, 2016, 01:25:09 PM »

Really? I thought the actor said he was done after GoT for acting.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3366 on: April 18, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
It was a joke, and yet a factual truth.

The actor playing Joffrey as a young kid had a small role in Batman Begins, as a kid that spots him and briefly talks to him.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3367 on: April 18, 2016, 01:31:14 PM »

Really? I thought the actor said he was done after GoT for acting.
not sure if serious

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3368 on: April 18, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »
 :facepalm:

I don't follow the super hero movies so got me good

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3369 on: April 24, 2016, 10:41:48 AM »
So this is almost upon us, right? I won't be able to watch until Monday evening (~24 hours from now on), so I'll be avoiding this thread. But I think you can expect some rants at Tuesday. Hopefully Genowyn will join me too. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3370 on: April 24, 2016, 11:25:20 AM »
yup, the best night in television, my favorite show Game of Thrones followed by Silicon Valley and then Last Week Tonight. Really looking forward to this evening!  :hat :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3371 on: April 24, 2016, 12:24:05 PM »
I can't be more ready, bring it on!!  :metal  :corn
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3372 on: April 24, 2016, 12:51:35 PM »
Melisandre bring Jon Snow back you red bitch!  :metal

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3373 on: April 24, 2016, 04:19:01 PM »
yup, the best night in television, my favorite show Game of Thrones followed by Silicon Valley and then Last Week Tonight. Really looking forward to this evening!  :hat :metal
This is honestly the best combo. Tense/gloomy/emotional hour of GOT followed by a very much needed decompressing Silicon Valley. Less than 3 hours to go.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3374 on: April 24, 2016, 07:17:33 PM »
It's on!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3375 on: April 24, 2016, 08:04:04 PM »

Spoilers for first episode of season six below.

That Dorne part was :o . I think this was one of the best opening episodes in this show. I have no idea what the end with the red lady was so will wait and see. I have a feeling that opening shot with the flyover to Jon Snow was Bran as a warg but I digress. Excellent setups and I really am super glad the show is back and can't wait for the next few episodes. For a moment I thought shit, Sansa is caught and will be back to Ramsey, totally did not see Brienne coming back.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3376 on: April 24, 2016, 08:04:56 PM »
Great first episode. Now it's a pain staking wait until next week.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3377 on: April 24, 2016, 08:20:36 PM »
I have no idea what the end with the red lady was so will wait and see.

I think she took off the necklace, which seemed to preserve her in some younger state, so she can finally die. I think the twist is that everyone sees her as the savior but she has finally decided to let herself die. It would play into the hopeless frustration that the world of GOT is known for.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3378 on: April 24, 2016, 08:26:40 PM »
@orcus Yup I realized that later.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3379 on: April 24, 2016, 09:00:19 PM »
So like yeah yeah the show is different from the books, but man have they fucked up Dorne. One of the best, most interesting, and most important arches in the books is absolutely ravished between last season and this one episode.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #3380 on: April 24, 2016, 09:23:55 PM »
Boy

I uh

Am glad I had alcohol for that

...my name is Araragi.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3381 on: April 25, 2016, 02:49:26 AM »
I'm hoping that the revelation of Melisandre's 'glamoring' is setting up a scenario where the Jon who was stabbed wasn't actually Jon Snow, but someone in his form, and that he's currently riding south.  Or just... anything involving Jon's resurrection.

Hi-fived my wife when Brienne found Sansa.

Davos was awesome.

Dorne is fucking stupid.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:45:51 AM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3382 on: April 25, 2016, 07:39:22 AM »
I'm far from a GOT expert, I've never read the novels. But if the common theory about Jon Snow is true and he wasn't Neds kid but Neds sister.....that's make him half Targaryn and realted to Dany, right? So, when they go to burn his body at a funeral....I'm thinking he doesn't burn at all and being that Dany's 'big moment' came from a fire I think that he'll arise and be reborn in that fire....without the help from anyone.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3383 on: April 25, 2016, 07:47:06 AM »
I'm far from a GOT expert, I've never read the novels. But if the common theory about Jon Snow is true and he wasn't Neds kid but Neds sister.....that's make him half Targaryn and realted to Dany, right? So, when they go to burn his body at a funeral....I'm thinking he doesn't burn at all and being that Dany's 'big moment' came from a fire I think that he'll arise and be reborn in that fire....without the help from anyone.

Interesting theory there.  Maybe.  I'm wondering how long Jon will continue to be dead.  I thought we would get his resuratection at the end of the episode, but oh well.  They will keep us hanging there.

The Dorne part was  :omg: for me.  Totally did not expect that at all.  This is where book readers are going to start wondering wtf is going on with Dorne since it is completely different.  Makes me wonder if the negative fan reaction from last season on Dorne had the writers just cut it short, or if this is how it really is because that seemed to have come out of no where, not just Doran but Hota too and how it seemed all of the dornish people were cool with that.

I have no idea what the end with the red lady was so will wait and see.

I think she took off the necklace, which seemed to preserve her in some younger state, so she can finally die. I think the twist is that everyone sees her as the savior but she has finally decided to let herself die. It would play into the hopeless frustration that the world of GOT is known for.

Why do you think she went to bed to die?  I took that as just a glimpse into her life alone and that she had been glamoring herself the entire time.  Unless you think she is dying to give her life to Jon?  Why is this in small font?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3384 on: April 25, 2016, 07:52:53 AM »
I really enjoyed the episode, but my wife hated it.

lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3385 on: April 25, 2016, 09:52:59 AM »
I don't really get the hate for the Dorn stuff. It's pretty clear that Dorn and I'm assuming the Iron Islands stuff is going to be relegated to "B" material for the TV show. With only (allegedly) 22 episodes of the show left, I have no problem with the show focusing on tying up the main players.

I thought it was a good episode and a great way to kick off the season.

My question is when is Rikkon going to show up again?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3386 on: April 25, 2016, 09:55:12 AM »
I don't really get the hate for the Dorn stuff. It's pretty clear that Dorn and I'm assuming the Iron Islands stuff is going to be relegated to "B" material for the TV show. With only (allegedly) 22 episodes of the show left, I have no problem with the show focusing on tying up the main players.

I thought it was a good episode and a great way to kick off the season.

My question is when is Rikkon going to show up again?

My guess is next season.  As for Dorne, I don't hate what they did, it's just very different and therefore to me, that was the biggest shock of the episode, not The Red Woman.  I always thought she was something different and she used glamour in the books to keep Mance alive so it wasn't too crazy to think she was using glamour on herself (kind of hinted at her potions in the show last season to Stannis' wife).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3387 on: April 25, 2016, 11:17:57 AM »
I thought the episode was great.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3388 on: April 25, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
I must admit I was quite shocked by the Dorne part of the show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3389 on: April 25, 2016, 11:48:45 AM »
I just read that over a million people torrented the premiere last night. That's nuts.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3390 on: April 25, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »
I just read that over a million people torrented the premiere last night. That's nuts.

It's also normal.  The most pirated show ever and they almost brag about it too.  The series is very popular in areas that cannot get HBO.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3391 on: April 25, 2016, 11:53:16 AM »
I must admit I was quite shocked by the Dorne part of the show.

Yes, I did not see that coming. While Elaria and the Sand Snakes bother me, the Dorne stuff in last night's episode was probably the best that storyline has been so far.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3392 on: April 25, 2016, 12:23:32 PM »
My co-worker just had an idea for an image... and well we took the time to make it

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3393 on: April 25, 2016, 12:24:30 PM »
I was pretty sad to see Bashir die that quickly. When I first saw him on GOT last season, I was like YES dude's finally getting a chance to show his stuff. Then he just sat around mopey and died.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3394 on: April 25, 2016, 12:42:11 PM »
Alright, just watched it. Could be because I had no positive expectations whatsoever, but it actually wasn't that bad... until Brienne once again very timely and conveniently arrived to the scene, now to save Sansa / Theon (who apparently can jump from the high castle walls and not suffer any damage at all). After all it went downhill quickly. What pissed me off the most was how Sansa looked at Theon and waited for his nod before accepting Brienne's vow. Seriously?

Jaime is basically reverted back to his S1 state character- and personality-wise. All that great S3 writing, character progression and all, apparently that was for nothing.

Next we've got that two Dorne scenes I honestly couldn't watch with a straight face. :rollin Thinking about them still makes me facepalm and laugh. :lolpalm: Warning - a somewhat long Dorne rant ahead.

So I guess I shouldn't bother with this one because Dorne was somewhat of an afterthought in this show and makes for a good comic relief (they didn't even bother naming the castle / city on the map in opening credits, putting "Dorne" there instead of "Sunspear". I think that was the same in S5 too. They should've written "The North" instead of "Winterfell" while they're at it. And all we saw in Dorne suggests the population here is like Martell family, Ellaria, Sand Snakes, Areo and a few random guards.

So, right, Ellaria and Sand Snakes are upset because they think Doran is a weak ruler and he didn't lift his finger when first Elia Martell was murdered, then Oberyn was killed... so let's go kill more Martells! Because that makes so much sense. By the way, with Quentyn and Arianne cut, I guess those were the last two people from Martell family? That's just so ridiculous. :lol Don't get me started on how they wasted Alexander Siddig as an actor - I wonder if they have any idea how they're spending their yearly budget - and how they spent so much time on designing Areo Hotah's axe, making it look as some truly unique, exquisite weapon (that was revealed in S5 Behind the Scenes), only to make Hotah die without actually using it or without actually doing anything at all for that matter - I really wonder if they have any idea how they're spending their yearly budget. :lol

I guess it doesn't matter since "Dorne" is apparently the only town in south with its scarce occupants all being employed in the palace guard, but I wonder what some other powerful Dornish lords loyal to Doran / Martell line (or not even necessarily loyal to Doran / Martell line) will think about all this. I mean, Yronwoods, Blackmonts, that kind of guys? I can't imagine they will stand for a bunch of bastards murdering their liege and his heir and taking the rule - they would rather rebel and take the rule for themselves or anything. Granted, this may come up in the next episodes... but would you blame me for doubting it? Apparently there are no other lords or houses in Dorne in the show, because who needs them anyway. Just like the absence of Northern lords in S5.

And it's hilarious how Trystane died. Right, turn your back to a woman with a spear who is intending to kill you. That was the funniest moment I think. :lol

Then we get some Saint Tyrion again (the whitewashing here is astonishing) and a eunuch cock joke. Then Daario and Jorah indeed find the Daenerys's ring in the middle of the fucking nowhere. Then we get some white pussy hair jokes. :facepalm:

I did somewhat liked Arya scene - heavy-handed though it was - because of how Maisie acted. I also liked everything on the Wall... except they closed off with a scene fulfilling their nudity quota once again, because that was absolutely uncalled for in my opinion. Wouldn't a look at her face be enough?

(Also I might be misremembering but I think Mel did take off her necklace in either S3 or S4. But I might be wrong on that one, so not really complaining here.)

But hey, it was better than I expected, since I expected it to be total rubbish and it actually wasn't.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.