Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647170 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2730 on: June 01, 2015, 10:30:42 AM »
Wow, what an episode!

Fantastic episode!  That was glorious!

On a side note - the members of the band Mastodon were among the wildlings in the fight at Hardhome.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:49:34 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2731 on: June 01, 2015, 10:51:44 AM »
The CGI has always been fantastic on the show but man, it was at a new level IMO. The 'wights' or whatever the heck they are called...the underling soldiers.....they were done very well for sure. Even the main 'leader' White Walkers had a more realistic look than in the past. Such a great battle scene/sequence.....

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2732 on: June 01, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »
The show has referred to them as the Others.  That is how various characters who don't believe in their existence have referred to them, or in oaths/curses ("The Others take your worthless hide!").

What I can recall, none of that has actually been used on the show, only in the books.

And the show has referred to the wights as wights a few times, but the last time was in season 2 I think, so that's a long time ago. But they look vastly different, so I don't completely get the confusion.
I am 99% sure "the Others" have been referred to as such in the shows, although perhaps not for several years.

I also don't get the confusion.  The White Walkers are distinctive-looking, while the wights are basically zombies.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2733 on: June 01, 2015, 11:50:48 AM »
The show has referred to them as the Others.  That is how various characters who don't believe in their existence have referred to them, or in oaths/curses ("The Others take your worthless hide!").

What I can recall, none of that has actually been used on the show, only in the books.

And the show has referred to the wights as wights a few times, but the last time was in season 2 I think, so that's a long time ago. But they look vastly different, so I don't completely get the confusion.
I am 99% sure "the Others" have been referred to as such in the shows, although perhaps not for several years.

I also don't get the confusion.  The White Walkers are distinctive-looking, while the wights are basically zombies.

While I cant recall a time they were called Others in the show, I don't remember every line, but I am pretty sure the show writers purposely dont use the term Others which is a term used in the TV show Lost which could be confusing.  I read this online somewhere many years ago...  regardless there is a very big physical distinction, but my point was that vocally in the show, they vaguely or hardly refer to them by different names which is why I believe for TV watchers it could be confusing such as Roose Bolton and Stannis being confused or similar.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2734 on: June 01, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
Additionally, 'Others' doesn't work on a TV show since you can't capitalize the 'O' to clarify that you're referring to the white walkers specifically. I have seen all seasons six, maybe seven, times, and can't recall a single time they used the term 'Others' for that purpose.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2735 on: June 01, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
I know TV executives had to learn to capitalize since they are in big positions.  Now TV anchors...........  :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2736 on: June 01, 2015, 01:49:43 PM »
Wow, holy shit, what a hell of episode! Now that's the Game of Thrones I know and love. Definitely the best of this season. I loved every scene except Sam and Olly together (I fucking hate Olly already). Absolutely glorious episode.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2737 on: June 01, 2015, 02:17:29 PM »

In my defense....on any given day I call each of my three sons one of thier brothers names so.....I need some help

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2738 on: June 01, 2015, 04:22:27 PM »
I'm so happy that Tyrion has now linked up with Daenerys

She's been kind of a mess ruling on her own. Now she will have some proper guidance.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2739 on: June 01, 2015, 04:22:51 PM »
Wow, holy shit, what a hell of episode! Now that's the Game of Thrones I know and love. Definitely the best of this season. I loved every scene except Sam and Olly together (I fucking hate Olly already). Absolutely glorious episode.

I have a good feeling you'll end up hating Olly even more before the season's done!

What an episode!!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2740 on: June 01, 2015, 04:38:35 PM »
Additionally, 'Others' doesn't work on a TV show since you can't capitalize the 'O' to clarify that you're referring to the white walkers specifically. I have seen all seasons six, maybe seven, times, and can't recall a single time they used the term 'Others' for that purpose.
Yep, I think that is the reason and also that even if the show did manage to get "the Others" to stick in people's mind, it might remind people of the TV show Lost which used that heavily and was quite a big pop cultural phenomenon.

I can understand the confusion between the two between some viewers, I don't know if I was completely clear on it from first viewing of season 1. But basically as long as people are roughly aware that there are undead basically zombies and there are the elite few that command them and can't be killed easily, I don't think it's a big deal.

I don't know if the show has used the Others (which is actually the standard name for them in the books). I seem to recall that in one of Melisandre's speeches she did refer to the god of death as "the Great Other", which people think is linked to the Others or the White Walkers.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2741 on: June 01, 2015, 05:03:55 PM »
Not only the best episode of the season, but one of the best in the series!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2742 on: June 01, 2015, 06:02:38 PM »
Not only the best episode of the season, but one of the best in the series!
Absolutely agreed. It combined all of the elements that make this show what it is, into one spectacular bundle.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2743 on: June 01, 2015, 06:12:07 PM »
I have a good feeling you'll end up hating Olly even more before the season's done!

Is that the little kid? You can tell he's still ticked at Jon....wouldn't doubt he'll take a stab at hurting or killing Jon. If he succeeds I'll be mega pi$$ed. And that's worse than being just pi$$ed

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2744 on: June 01, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »

What an episode!!!

I have the same feeling.

Also, he's annoying.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2745 on: June 02, 2015, 04:11:50 AM »

What an episode!!!

I have the same feeling.

Also, he's annoying.

Ditto this.  My first thought is that he would try and kill Gilly and Little Sam.

What a fucking amazing episode.  After such a slow season that was just what I needed to keep my interest.  And seeing Cersei floor-suck water was INCREDIBLY gratifying.  Tyrion and Daenerys :tup  No Dorne :tup

Awesome.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2746 on: June 02, 2015, 05:48:56 AM »
Goes without saying that was an amazing episode, the last 15-20 mins of that show was jaw dropping great action. The progression of that fight kept surprising me, I kept thinking OK, just  a town chat, then boom Lord of Bones is gone. Ok, some agree, some don't, then Boom avalanche attack, then I thought they have dragon glass, nope not used, boom Valerian steel. then they show the head White Walker dude and he then re-animates the dead, it was one awesome turn of action followed by another. As if that wasn't enough the scenes elsewhere were amazing as well. Very sad that it's just the last two episodes of the season and will be followed by such a long wait until April of next year.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2747 on: June 02, 2015, 07:41:26 AM »
The confusion was about naming when it came to the White Walkers and their dead army, not about which is which.
There's a recurring gesture the show makes, maybe I've been choosing to ignore it but it keeps coming back every now and then; it's the notion that Daenerys Targaryen is the good guy, the main one, the one we're waiting for to prevail, which I think is B.S frankly. Daenerys is power hungry like everyone else, she is after the throne just like Stannis and all the kings in the original war of kings that followed Robert's death, hell Robb Stark had a more noble purpose for fighting than she did. This last episode Tyrion asked her a question I've always wanted to ask; why not stay in Meereen and have her kingdom there, she says cause Westeros is home! She's never lived there in her adult or even teenage life, Westeros is as much her home as the old ruins of Valyria, but their are no people to rule and play queen with in Valyria so Westeros is where she wants to go.
I think Jon Snow is the only genuine "good guy" among the adult lead characters, the only truly selfless/honor first/greater consistently good character and Tyrion would come in second to that, the notion among fans that Daenerys is Jon Snow's counterpart or equal on the other side of the world is ridiculous to me.
I'm not saying there's got to be good guy hero type of character, I'm just saying I feel the show is trying to make me think there's one and it's Daenerys.
/rant
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2748 on: June 02, 2015, 08:04:15 AM »
With essentially two seasons to go.....this non book reader seems to think they've set it all up for this to be Jon Snow's 'story'. I think in the end....he will be the one who defeats the White Walkers....he will be the one who unites the 7 Kingdoms.....he's the man basically. Probably totally setting myself up to be crushed when he's killed by some no name wight or something like that....but I can just see he and Dany being in some final battle of sorts and she calls on Drogon or one of the other Dragons to torch him and he withstands the flames like she did. He'd be the King of Fire and Ice.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2749 on: June 02, 2015, 08:29:31 AM »
BTW, if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe the dragonglass would work against the wights, but only against the actual White Walkers.

I think that fire is the only way to destroy the wights.  But I'm not sure fire would work on the White Walkers.

Someone who is more fanatical about knowing these things correct me if I'm wrong.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2750 on: June 02, 2015, 08:50:59 AM »
I think that fire is the only way to destroy the wights.  But I'm not sure fire would work on the White Walkers.

If you watch the scene where the White Walker 'General'...or whatever, the one who fought Jon in the burning building.....when he walked in the flames around him actually dissipated and flamed out as he entered from the back of the building. Unless they are vulnerable to actual Dragon Fire....I don't think just plain old fire is going to do it either. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2751 on: June 02, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »
The confusion was about naming when it came to the White Walkers and their dead army, not about which is which.
There's a recurring gesture the show makes, maybe I've been choosing to ignore it but it keeps coming back every now and then; it's the notion that Daenerys Targaryen is the good guy, the main one, the one we're waiting for to prevail, which I think is B.S frankly. Daenerys is power hungry like everyone else, she is after the throne just like Stannis and all the kings in the original war of kings that followed Robert's death, hell Robb Stark had a more noble purpose for fighting than she did. This last episode Tyrion asked her a question I've always wanted to ask; why not stay in Meereen and have her kingdom there, she says cause Westeros is home! She's never lived there in her adult or even teenage life, Westeros is as much her home as the old ruins of Valyria, but their are no people to rule and play queen with in Valyria so Westeros is where she wants to go.
I think Jon Snow is the only genuine "good guy" among the adult lead characters, the only truly selfless/honor first/greater consistently good character and Tyrion would come in second to that, the notion among fans that Daenerys is Jon Snow's counterpart or equal on the other side of the world is ridiculous to me.
I'm not saying there's got to be good guy hero type of character, I'm just saying I feel the show is trying to make me think there's one and it's Daenerys.
/rant

To be fair, Daenerys is also freeing slaves which is a good cause so she has some good intentions.  But I agree overall that she is not the perfect good guy.  Jon Snow is the perfect good guy from what we have seen so far.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe the dragonglass would work against the wights, but only against the actual White Walkers.

Someone who is more fanatical about knowing these things correct me if I'm wrong.

Why do you think dragonglass wouldnt work?  I have no idea, but I would assume it would if it works on the white walkers, but thats purely an assumption.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2752 on: June 02, 2015, 10:30:03 AM »
"Only fire will stop them." Said about the wights. So dragonglass or valyrian steel is probably as useless as any other blade against those guys. And I'm sure there's at least some evidence of that in the latest episode.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2753 on: June 02, 2015, 11:49:49 AM »
I bet you killing all the White Walkers would stop the wights as well. I think maybe there isn't that many actual White Walkers and that's why they need to make wights to have foot soldiers, just a speculation.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2754 on: June 02, 2015, 12:35:20 PM »
I can only echo what everyone else say that this was a season highlight for me. Especially the last 30 mins!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2755 on: June 02, 2015, 12:47:51 PM »
I bet you killing all the White Walkers would stop the wights as well. I think maybe there isn't that many actual White Walkers and that's why they need to make wights to have foot soldiers, just a speculation.

Yea, that would make sense too, but I do wonder how many white walkers there actually are.  Since we know the Nights King was able to turn Crasters baby into one (as a baby too, so I guess that means they can grow) and we can assume Craster has had many baby boys based on how many girls he had, then that could add up to a decent amount right there assuming they aren't turning other humans into WW.  So much to speculate on them and really nothing to go on besides what we saw in the show.  The books don't give any insight into them besides a slight history on the Nights King which was just an ancient story, but Old Nan's stories all seem to be true so far.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2756 on: June 02, 2015, 12:56:09 PM »
So a friend of mine, well I should say "friend", who hasn't read any of the books but watches the show very intently every week mentions to me, 'oh I heard *major character* (who is still on the show) gets killed at the end of book 4 or 5, did you know about that?' I'm like WHYYY would you ask or tell me that??? He said someone who read all the books told him that and since I've read the first 3 books he thought I'd like to know.
 :censored >:(
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:31:10 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #2757 on: June 02, 2015, 01:28:33 PM »
Faizoff, I'd put that in tiny font for non book readers. Even without any specifics this could spoil the show for quite a few people.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2758 on: June 02, 2015, 01:30:57 PM »
Faizoff, I'd put that in tiny font for non book readers. Even without any specifics this could spoil the show for quite a few people.

True....but it's not exactly a surprise if/when a major character gets killed off :lol  In fact, this may be the longest stretch in the show where a "major" character hasn't been killed off.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:57:08 PM by ariich »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2759 on: June 02, 2015, 01:38:01 PM »
gmillerdrake, now you probably should put that into the tiny font too. :lol

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #2760 on: June 02, 2015, 01:39:12 PM »

True....but it's not exactly a surprise if/when a major character gets killed off :lol  In fact, this may be the longest stretch in the show where a "major" character hasn't been killed off.

I'd make that tiny as well, but I've read the books, so no spoilers for me ;). It's taking a bit of the surprise away when you know of which kind the big event coming is. I mean, we all probably assume that there's something huge coming to close of the season, but non-book readers don't know what exactly will happen. And frankly, book readersdon't know as well given how much the show has deviated so far :lol. Also, minor show/book spoilers in the following:

Also, there is lots of speculation in the fandom if said character is really dead, that scene wasn't overly clear and left quite a bit room for interpretation as to what happens afterwards.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2761 on: June 02, 2015, 01:41:11 PM »

I'd make that tiny as well, but I've read the books, so no spoilers for me ;). It's taking a bit of the surprise away when you know of which kind the big event coming is. I mean, we all probably assume that there's something huge coming to close of the season, but non-book readers don't know what exactly will happen. And frankly, book readersdon't know as well given how much the show has deviated so far :lol. Also, minor show/book spoilers in the following:

Also, there is lots of speculation in the fandom if said character is really dead, that scene wasn't overly clear and left quite a bit room for interpretation as to what happens afterwards.

I was actually going to comment saying, "I dont recall anyone actually dying" since no one knows if he actually does die.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2762 on: June 02, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2763 on: June 03, 2015, 04:33:08 AM »
What a fantastic episode. I was watching that last part for about twenty minutes and thought 'holy crap, how much more tense can this thing get?!' Well, it did.
Also, I'm a bit in two minds about the Cersei drinking water off the floor scene. Either she hits an even lower low or she'll get a mighty big revenge after this.
Great scene between Theon/Reek and Sansa. Finally! With Ramsey off on a 'mission' this might be the chance for Brianne to storm in and free her.
Dany/Tyrion scene was also nice, great little interplay between those two. And we got to see the first mission of Arya. Nice. Still they underestimate her.

Only two more episodes though....  :yeahright
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online faizoff

« Reply #2764 on: June 03, 2015, 06:07:24 AM »
I'm still very angry with the "friend" on the spoiler. He doesn't think it's a big deal. Grrrrr.