Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647095 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2590 on: May 20, 2015, 10:44:38 AM »
Could the difference of this season be attributed to the fact that GRRM did not write any episodes for this season?
Not this per se, but I think rather that the problem is that since they have deviated so much from the novels, their own storytelling is all that is left.  They are flying without a net.

Same thing happened to The Walking Dead when Mazerra took them off source material to tell the Governor story....it was still 'cool' to a point but it was IMO the weakest stretch of episodes the show has had......much like these first (5) episodes of this season of GOT.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2591 on: May 20, 2015, 10:46:08 AM »
I dunno, I always thought that George Martin was consulted on the major plotlines and the direction of the show for the remaining seasons where there was no published book content. While the deviations exist I'm sure I remember George saying that the show and book will converge with the same end.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2592 on: May 20, 2015, 10:59:17 AM »
Could the difference of this season be attributed to the fact that GRRM did not write any episodes for this season?

Maybe, I read everyone's perspective on what seems different about this season and personally the only thing I could personally think of is how there's more POV's covered per episode than any previous season, so things feel a bit more rushed for lack of a better term.

I think you may have nailed it (in part) here.  It definitely does feel rushed, and I know I had that feeling but just couldn't put my finger on it.  A telling part for me in that last episode was the part with Margaery's mother's visit to King's Landing.  While it was nice to see her again, if only for a bit of comic relief, her scenes were almost laughably rushed - I remember turning to my wife to remark how weird it was that a part of her conversation ran on to the next scene where she's sitting with Cersei... it's a perfectly acceptable technique, but its just not GOT style.  Rushed.  I think that's a huge part of the reason why it just doesn't feel the same this season

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2593 on: May 20, 2015, 11:03:23 AM »
I dunno, I always thought that George Martin was consulted on the major plotlines and the direction of the show for the remaining seasons where there was no published book content. While the deviations exist I'm sure I remember George saying that the show and book will converge with the same end.

Yup, they did consult and they know the storylines and ending.  But they do not have GRRM's actual source material to write their screenplays after and GRRM is not there to help him as he had no involvement with this season.  That lead to this:

I think rather that the problem is that since they have deviated so much from the novels, their own storytelling is all that is left.  They are flying without a net.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2594 on: May 20, 2015, 11:09:33 AM »
...I'm done with this place.

Goodbye, you clueless, insensitive bastards. Ban me so I won't have the urge to come back here and be sick to my stomach again.

Bye!!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2595 on: May 20, 2015, 11:14:16 AM »
Well that was unecessary

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2596 on: May 20, 2015, 11:17:37 AM »
Well the episodes he wrote tended to be good but he only ever did one episode per season, and I don't think one episode would make the difference. Unless him not writing an episode was indicative of a rift between him and the producers and he wasn't consulting them in general, which is possible, but I don't think that's it.

My guess it is a combination of the fact there are now so many storylines and characters in different locations so that it often feels like very little happens in a single episode (while simultaneously feeling like lots of storylines don't have much time to breathe), the fact that to reduce the storylines they are combining storylines or making up more non-book material which can lead to inconsistencies and some characters feeling more directionless, and just the fact that the source material they have to work with is weaker. I like A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons very much but the things that are good about them are the things that don't translate very well into the TV show, where as the stuff that works well in the TV show is what is lacking in them (which is probably why you often see people arguing they are too long or boring). Compare that with A Storm Of Swords, usually regarded as the best, which contains the subtle and compex world building, foreshadowing and character development which the TV show can't do as well, but also has a ton of plot development and big events, which is the thing that the TV show does well and sometimes even better than the book. Even in condensed form and with original material added, there have been a lot less major events in the first half of this season than in Season 4, where big events occurring compensated somewhat for not spending much time on each story per episode. Jon Snow taking up command at the Wall, Daenerys struggling to rule in Meereen, Cersei plotting against the Tyrells, people travelling to and setting up for events in Winterfell - these are all pretty slow burners, with the biggest events so far not exactly measuring up to the purple wedding early in season 4. Also quite importantly fan favourite Tyrion had a much less compelling plot in travelling through Essos (and despite being two of the wittiest characters, Tyrion and Varys pairing didn't really live up to the hype since they were lacking in things to scheme about). Tyrion's scenes have picked up a bit now that he is paired up with Jorah, especially after episode 5. I'm holding out hope that the last few episodes will be better than the first part of the season, because I think that a lot of the big moments that serve as payoff for this season really are left to the end. Episode 8, 9 and 10 have every right to be crackers.

Also I think it can't be forgotten that the show has lost a few more key characters like Tywin, Joffrey, the Hound. Killing off major characters is great for good episodes and storylines, but it does mean that you lose a lot of great characters and actors that helped make the show what it was, and over time that will add up and may leave the show feeling lacking. Ned Stark, Catelyn Stark, Robb Stark are gone, and while Tywin, Joffrey or the Hound may not be quite as main as them they were some of the things that made the show really entertaining.

Lastly I agree that the Dorne storyline has been bad. I can't really work out how it ended up so poor. The Sand Snakes are cheesy in the book, with their "Each one looks different and uses a different weapon" type thing, but in the show they've combined the cheesiness and each using their own weapon with them all wearing the same outfit and having a really awful introduction scene, so now they are a cheesy team that are barely differentiable, even though their differences are meant to be their gimmick. Thinking about it, I also think budget limitations are showing in the Dorne scenes. The Water Gardens set is excellent, but it seems to be the only location they have. Which is why we have Jaime and Bronn landing on a coastline that looks suspiciously like Ireland, staying on the beach for their fight and travelling since at least it has sand, and of course the unforgettable random tent in a patch of sand where we met the Sand Snakes. That is also probably why the confrontation had to take place in the Water Gardens, which I think contributed to it being so ridiculous (Jaime and the Sand Snakes both being able to sneak in extremely easily, just walking up to Myrcella with no real plan, and breaking into a fight where it will obviously be noticed in a place full of Doran's guards). I wonder if they knew they wanted to include Dorne to capitalise on the popularity of Oberyn, but didn't really have a good idea for the storyline for it and so we ended up with a rush job.

There's a chance that Dorne might also be better in the rest of the season, since it will presumably now be able to focus on dialogue between Jaime, Bronn, the Sand Snakes (their fight scene was awful but two of them had barely had any lines yet so I can't yet judge them too harshly on acting in actual conversations) and of course Doran Martell, who seems well done in his brief scenes. I'm not sure it has any real potential though - for me in the books the best part of Dorne was not really Arianne Martell (who was cut from the show to be kind of replaced by the Sand Snakes), definitely not the Sand Snakes, but Doran himself. But what made him great was that despite appearing weak and passive he had a plan, but the things relating to his plans (Quentyn going to Daenerys, and currently Arriane heading to meet with the invading (f)Aegon) seem to be cut from the show, so I am not sure what he can really do.

Seeing Dorne and also how much of a stretch it is to include all the existing storylines makes me rethink my hope for including the Iron Islands storyline :lol Especially since I'm sure I recall that scenes with ships are some of the most expensive scenes.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:35:54 AM by RuRoRul »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2597 on: May 20, 2015, 11:26:21 AM »
I'll have to dig the link but Martin said he wouldn't be writing any episode on season 5 or 6 to concentrate on finishing the next book. He said writing an episode takes him a month or so to write and diverts his attention to finishing the book.

Here's the link
https://watchersonthewall.com/george-r-r-martin-not-writing-a-script-for-season-6-dornish-cast-interviewed/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:41:38 AM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2598 on: May 20, 2015, 12:48:41 PM »
I don't think they wrote the Dorne stuff this season based on the popularity of Oberyn, since they write the next season at the same time as shooting the current one. So by the time we all saw and grew to like Oberyn, I'm pretty sure most of season 5 was already written.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2599 on: May 20, 2015, 01:06:49 PM »
I don't think they wrote the Dorne stuff this season based on the popularity of Oberyn, since they write the next season at the same time as shooting the current one. So by the time we all saw and grew to like Oberyn, I'm pretty sure most of season 5 was already written.

I agree.  Dorne clearly is has a role large enough to be in the show.  I think sending Jaime there is for the viewers to have someone they recognize interact with all the new characters since that is not what happens in the books.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #2600 on: May 20, 2015, 03:07:55 PM »
Wow.  I'm really surprised by the amount of backlash over the Sansa scene.  I don't get it.  Law and Order SVU is nothing but constant stories about rape and child molestation and it's never gotten the amount of hate this one episode of GoT has.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2601 on: May 20, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
Because literally nobody watches those shows :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2602 on: May 20, 2015, 04:14:42 PM »
Speak for yourself, Law and Order is the slamma jam.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2603 on: May 20, 2015, 10:09:09 PM »
I find the producers intent on finishing GoT by season 7 unrealistic or at least promises more rush in events, here are some plot lines that most of us know to be of major importance and some I personally got the impression from watchingt hey will/should be revisited and were abandoned/put on hold:

1- Bran Stark and the man who told him he'll fly.
2- Rickon Stark and Osha, forgot where they were heading.
3- The White Walkers impending attack on Westeros.
4- The Iron Islands and the Grejoys still being in an open rebellion.
5- Brynden Tully (Blackfish), escaped the Red Wedding and nothing about him since.
6- Edmure Tully, assuming he's still a prisoner of Walder Fray since his wedding night.
7- Benjen Stark, missing behind the Wall.
8- Gendry, last time seen escaping from Dragonstone?
9- Beric Dondarrion and the Brotherhood without banners, nothing after Arya left them.

I think it would be non-satisfactory to wrap most of these up in 24 more episodes, in addition to the current active plot lines that we're currently watching, I might have even forgotten to add something to that list.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2604 on: May 21, 2015, 12:20:10 AM »
I think that pretty much covers it. And I agree. Which is why I was hoping that the end of season 4 would be the half-way mark, and to have the show run for 8 seasons. That would make me happy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2605 on: May 21, 2015, 05:56:22 AM »
I dont think it's impossible to cover all those in two more seasons, but that also depends on what new storylines are added after this season since no one will have a single clue anymore as to what the future holds for the story.

Some of those points can be lumped together in terms of resolution. 

It seems likely that whatever happens with the white walkers could bring resolve to what happened to Benjen Stark and its possible that Bran plays a role in this (since all of this is beyond the wall).

I believe it is very possible that the Blackfish after escaping the Red Wedding has ended up with the Brotherhood without Banners.  But it's also possible that they were cut for anything in the future since another character has been cut from the show.  This could also tie into Edmure in a way since all this is in the riverlands.

The show HAS to show what happens to the Greyjoys and I think it's possible that we see something with them at the end of this season (sort of like how Season 3 ended), but definitely something needs to happen with them next season the latest (and I am not talking about the characters who aren't in the show).

But a couple points that you didnt have:

Dany needs to invade westeros!
Whatever happens in Dorne will need to be resolved.  I don't expect a resolution to that arc this season.
Something needs to happen with regards to Gods and magic.  Lord of Light vs. The Old Gods vs. The Seven (New Gods) vs. Magic and now The Faith Militant.   It's too big a part of the story to not have some sort of resolution, but this may tie into the White Walkers and Dragons as well.
Varys vs. Littlefinger - One or both need to die IMO.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2606 on: May 21, 2015, 07:58:13 AM »
I was thinking a nice round 10 seasons would be sufficient if all these threads were to find resolutions with the same power in storytelling they started in, but maybe that's too ambitious.

But a couple points that you didnt have:
Dany needs to invade westeros!
Whatever happens in Dorne will need to be resolved.  I don't expect a resolution to that arc this season.
Something needs to happen with regards to Gods and magic.  Lord of Light vs. The Old Gods vs. The Seven (New Gods) vs. Magic and now The Faith Militant.   It's too big a part of the story to not have some sort of resolution, but this may tie into the White Walkers and Dragons as well.
Varys vs. Littlefinger - One or both need to die IMO.

Yep, these are among the current/actively progressing ones. And I totally agree about the Gods and magic point, I would love to see a resolution on that.
Personally I don't want Daenerys to succeed, I'd be more for Stannis being king than her but it's probably not gonna work out that way.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2607 on: May 21, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Yep, these are among the current/actively progressing ones. And I totally agree about the Gods and magic point, I would love to see a resolution on that.
Personally I don't want Daenerys to succeed, I'd be more for Stannis being king than her but it's probably not gonna work out that way.

The show has thrown a few hints this season about Daenerys going mad like her father.  If she goes that route she could become a "bad guy" and maybe she won't win the iron throne.  I see that more likely than Stannis winning.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2608 on: May 21, 2015, 11:11:15 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2609 on: May 21, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
Indeed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2610 on: May 21, 2015, 11:26:41 AM »
Well, there's also that:

Quote from: GRRM
I have sometimes allowed other writers to play with my children. In Wild Cards, for instance, which is a shared world. Lohengrin, Hoodoo Mama, Popinjay, the Turtle, and all my other WC creations have been written by other writers, and I have written their characters. But I submit, this is NOT at all the same thing. A shared world is a tightly controlled environment. In the case of Wild Cards, it's controlled by me. I decide who gets to borrow my creations, and I review their stories, and approve or disapproval what is done with them. "No, Popinjay would say it this way," I say, or "Sorry, the Turtle would never do that," or, more importantly (this has never come up in Wild Cards, but it did in some other shared worlds), "No, absolutely not, your character may not rape my character, I don't give a fuck how powerful you think it would be."

And that:

Quote from: GRRM
No one gets to abuse the people of Westeros but me.

Both from his blog.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2611 on: May 21, 2015, 12:10:40 PM »
Just finished the chapter of the Red Wedding from the 3rd book. Even though it's a bit different from the show, it was still so intense. I can't imagine the feeling reading that chapter for the first time. When I first saw it on TV I was at the time in a weird dazed mood and had no idea what was coming until the first arrow was flung. I still get so tense everytime I watch that episode and reading that chapter in the book gave me the same feeling.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2612 on: May 21, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
Just finished the chapter of the Red Wedding from the 3rd book. Even though it's a bit different from the show, it was still so intense. I can't imagine the feeling reading that chapter for the first time. When I first saw it on TV I was at the time in a weird dazed mood and had no idea what was coming until the first arrow was flung. I still get so tense everytime I watch that episode and reading that chapter in the book gave me the same feeling.

I was reading that chapter outside my work office at the time cause I got there early.  I ended up being late and wanting to throw my book across the street.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2613 on: May 21, 2015, 12:49:37 PM »
I haven't gotten there in the books yet so the first time I saw it was on the show, my wife had talked me into watching the show before season 4 started and I binged the first 3 seasons with her. As the wedding scene progressed I was still clueless until I noticed my wife was watching me, not the TV, which instantly clued me that some major shit was about to go down :lol
I was sad Robb was gone but then I was glad his mom died heh
I'm also glad they didn't zoom in on Robb's body being sewn to his dire wolf's head or have a close up of what that looked like.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2614 on: May 21, 2015, 03:30:25 PM »
Wow.  I'm really surprised by the amount of backlash over the Sansa scene.  I don't get it.  Law and Order SVU is nothing but constant stories about rape and child molestation and it's never gotten the amount of hate this one episode of GoT has.

I am pretty sure a lot of people watch SVU, otherwise it wouldn't be finishing up its 16th season. :lol indeed.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2615 on: May 21, 2015, 07:05:53 PM »
:lol Indeed :lol

Forgive me for hurting your SVU's, I assumed (hoped maybe) that the show had died in the wake of the crime scene oversaturation.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: May 22, 2015, 09:49:41 AM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2617 on: May 22, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »
That was amazing  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2618 on: May 22, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
Rastafarian Targaryen was my favorite.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2619 on: May 22, 2015, 10:42:29 AM »
About 15 chapters left to complete the Storm of swords book  and I'm wondering if I should wait to finish the other two. I rather enjoy the surprises, twists and turn of events as they unfold on the show and not knowing anything of whats to come. I know the material is running out as less and less of the book is left and much has been changed for the show, still the interchanged plots can make some of the surprises less... surprising. I'd rather not know anything about an event while watching the show. I might wait for this season to end before reading the 4th book.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2620 on: May 22, 2015, 11:03:07 AM »
About 15 chapters left to complete the Storm of swords book  and I'm wondering if I should wait to finish the other two. I rather enjoy the surprises, twists and turn of events as they unfold on the show and not knowing anything of whats to come. I know the material is running out as less and less of the book is left and much has been changed for the show, still the interchanged plots can make some of the surprises less... surprising. I'd rather not know anything about an event while watching the show. I might wait for this season to end before reading the 4th book.
If you enjoy the surprises of the show then I definitely think it'd be worth waiting and seeing season 5 first. Although depending on your pace of reading, even if you start A Feast For Crows it will be a long time before you get to anything plot relevant to the show :lol

Also I'd dare say that more is gained from not knowing what's coming in the show than in the books, especially books 4 and 5. I got more enjoyment out of AFFC and ADWD when reading again more closely for all the hidden gems than when I was trying to get through them to find out what happens next.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: May 22, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »
Game of Thrones the Musical

Really enjoyed this one, especially Tyrion's and Dany's songs, as well as Alfie - Iwan meeting scene. :lol The whole thing was hilarious actually.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2622 on: May 22, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »
"One tiny thing, on the -lings. Be careful...you're going a little flat"
"No, 'e wasn't."
 ;)

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #2623 on: May 22, 2015, 02:11:21 PM »
Oh my god, I'm laughing so hard I'm in tears :rollin.
This is absolutely brilliant (and most certainly the best thing Colplay has made  ::))

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #2624 on: May 22, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
I love the musical.  They had longer cuts of the songs in the preview clips though, like this one with Dinklage:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1URvDyzh8uI