Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628774 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1540 on: April 14, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »
who the fuck cared about and/or loved Robb Stark?
"Love" is a strong word, but I definitely cared about Robb.
Yep. And Catelyn was a bit annoying but she was a good person. And Robb's wife and unborn child, jeez that was horrible.

Whereas Joffrey was just awful and deserved to die, so yeah I didn't find it particularly shocking but I did find it particularly awesome.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1541 on: April 14, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1542 on: April 14, 2014, 02:11:44 PM »
He won a battle and then lost the war and his hostage.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1543 on: April 14, 2014, 02:16:52 PM »
I wouldnt say Robb was incompetent. He was fine for leading an army, but he made poor choices by breaking his vow to the Freys, that cost him everything and it was his flaw for falling for Talisa.  So he had his issues, but I wouldnt say he was incompetent.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1544 on: April 14, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
I just realized Joffery was in Batman Begins

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1545 on: April 14, 2014, 02:33:03 PM »
I wouldnt say Robb was incompetent. He was fine for leading an army, but he made poor choices by breaking his vow to the Freys, that cost him everything and it was his flaw for falling for Talisa.  So he had his issues, but I wouldnt say he was incompetent.

Point taken, although I will note that the Karstark debacle in particular was pretty damaging and representative of his problem: his inability to see how short-game choices affected the long game.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1546 on: April 14, 2014, 02:56:47 PM »

Point taken, although I will note that the Karstark debacle in particular was pretty damaging and representative of his problem: his inability to see how short-game choices affected the long game.

Maybe, but I think the Karstark situation was tricky for Robb.  The guy disobeyed him and the penalty was death.  Obviously that was a big blow to his army to lose them, but I guess one could say he shouldnt of beheaded him, but I think thats a tough call.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: April 14, 2014, 03:05:46 PM »
Starks deserved what came to them. #teamlannister

I read the books, so what happened in the last episode wasn't a surprise. While the character is obviously not the most likeable, it is still sad to see him leave because the actor did an absolutely phenomenal job. Seeing and hearing Sigur Rós was also pretty amazing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1548 on: April 14, 2014, 03:22:47 PM »
I really like Tyrion and Jaime (two of my favorite characters), but I wouldn't consider myself team lannister since I despise the rest of the family. If anything I root for Dany and Jon Snow.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1549 on: April 14, 2014, 03:30:54 PM »
Dany's pretty irritating. I like Jon, Arya, Tyrion. Jaime's starting to become pretty decent. I quite like all the Tyrells actually.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1550 on: April 14, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »
Dany's pretty irritating. I like Jon, Arya, Tyrion. Jaime's starting to become pretty decent. I quite like all the Tyrells actually.

Yeah, pretty much all of this.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1551 on: April 14, 2014, 03:37:31 PM »
o/

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1552 on: April 14, 2014, 03:40:43 PM »
Tywin and Jaime are my favourites, then Jonny Snow and Dany (although she has some bad moments). I also really like Theon for some reason.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1553 on: April 14, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »
Dany, irritating or not, is very pleasant on the eyes

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: April 14, 2014, 05:21:03 PM »
Tywin and Joffrey are so great on TV that I like both a lot more than the book version (not that they are different but they are portrayed so well) but Jon Snow and Tyrion are probably my favorite characters.

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1556 on: April 14, 2014, 05:23:40 PM »
I loved Tywin in the book as well, I like his no-bullshit (stark honour blabla) and pragmatic approach towards everything.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1557 on: April 14, 2014, 06:21:09 PM »
You fools! Going around publicly stating who you like the most. Don't you know Martin browses every website that mentions his books, compiles a database of who is most liked and then these guys are getting the short end of the stick as soon as possible?

The latest episode wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped. Now that it's done, I find myself shockingly surprised that I'm gonna miss the little fellow.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1558 on: April 14, 2014, 06:21:31 PM »
Yeah, Jaime is my favorite character, Tyrion my 2nd favorite and Tywin is such a badass. But I wouldn't consider myself #Team #Lannister #hashtag

I must be the only one in the world who hated to see Joffrey die. Dammit! I loved watching Joffrey be an evil sick person, and I think the show will lose something without him.
Ramsay Snow has your evil sick person quota covered! Next to him, Joffrey was a saint!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: April 14, 2014, 06:31:22 PM »
Agreed about Ramsay, but I dont see him of being a likeable TV character the way Joffrey was.  I still cant tell if its the character or the actor or likely both, but something about him made me really like him (in a hateful way of course).  Even when I watched the first two seasons before I read the book, I LOVED Joffrey.

Ramsay is even more sadistic, but his character hasnt done anything to make me like him in any way.  Just doesnt get the same emotion that Joffrey got from me, besides that you dislike them because they are terrible people.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1560 on: April 14, 2014, 10:44:28 PM »
The Hound is by far my favorite character, then comes Bronn, then Varys, then Jaime, Tywin, Tyrion, and after that it's all kind of the same. My favorite characters are the ones who don't give a shit about the Iron Throne. At least the top three anyway.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #1561 on: April 15, 2014, 12:18:15 AM »
Varys actually does care a lot.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1562 on: April 15, 2014, 05:31:50 AM »
Bronn's story is probably my least favorite. I hope he actually does something other than toodle around having animal dreams. There has been zero payoff so far.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1563 on: April 15, 2014, 07:50:18 AM »
Don't you mean Bran?   ;)

I'm really the most curious about Arya, Varys, Bran, whether or not Jon Snow is part Targaryen, and I have a strange idea that Syrio Forel is Jaqen.  In the book, it's never made clear that he dies. In the TV Show, the first thing you hear after Arya runs away is a metal sword drop, not Syrio's wooden sword.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:22:30 PM by Prog Snob »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: April 15, 2014, 11:13:58 AM »
I hope Syrio is dead and Jaqen is just, well, Jaqen. But he was awesome, I agree. That's just me.

I wonder if will they keep Jaqen going to the Oldtown like it's in AFFC or give him another role? He was a fan favourite, I think, the actor nailed him pretty much. Perhaps they'll make him play Kindly Man in the House of Black and White, though it would be a serious deviation.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1565 on: April 15, 2014, 12:18:16 PM »
I sometimes feel like giving Sansa and Tyrion a pat on the back.....just just a comfy little pat on the back.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1566 on: April 15, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »
I sometimes feel like giving Sansa and Tyrion a pat on the back.....just just a comfy little pat on the back.

for what?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: April 15, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »

for what?

Probably for dealing with all the crap they are given.

Varys actually does care a lot.

This. 

I hope Syrio is dead and Jaqen is just, well, Jaqen. But he was awesome, I agree. That's just me.

I dont necessarily hope that, but I kind of believe in that.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1568 on: April 15, 2014, 01:53:31 PM »
Bronn'sBran's story is probably my least favorite. I hope he actually does something other than toodle around having animal dreams. There has been zero payoff so far.

Bran's story is probably one of the most intriguing to me. It seems like that's more important than everything happening south of the Wall. Even though we haven't really seen much or been told what's going on, I am very much looking forward to seeing what Bran is really there for.

And why do everyone seem to avoid talking about the White Walkers like the plague? Jon Snow has seen them, he knows that's the whole reason the wildlings are moving south at all, yet not a single word about that when being interviewed. And I thought Stannis had a new mission now, since Melisandre declared that the real threat lies to the north, yet no one even hinted at that whole thing.

I suppose Jon didn't mention it since Sam has already told them about it and that's not what they were there to discuss. But Stannis, one line of dialogue would have done it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1569 on: April 15, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »
Bronn'sBran's story is probably my least favorite. I hope he actually does something other than toodle around having animal dreams. There has been zero payoff so far.

Bran's story is probably one of the most intriguing to me. It seems like that's more important than everything happening south of the Wall. Even though we haven't really seen much or been told what's going on, I am very much looking forward to seeing what Bran is really there for.

And why do everyone seem to avoid talking about the White Walkers like the plague? Jon Snow has seen them, he knows that's the whole reason the wildlings are moving south at all, yet not a single word about that when being interviewed. And I thought Stannis had a new mission now, since Melisandre declared that the real threat lies to the north, yet no one even hinted at that whole thing.

I suppose Jon didn't mention it since Sam has already told them about it and that's not what they were there to discuss. But Stannis, one line of dialogue would have done it.

Im not totally crazy about Bran's story, but Im curious as to what the payoff could be.  I was reading other opinions and someone thought maybe since his warg powers are so strong (being able to warg into Hodor) that he could possibly warg into one of the dragons and burn out the white walkers.  Seems like a solid thought and would make him useful. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1570 on: April 15, 2014, 03:30:28 PM »

for what?

Probably for dealing with all the crap they are given.
Yep pretty much.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #1571 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:15 AM »

He was his father's son.  He put family, love, honor first.  The Lannisters put power first & the Baratheons pride.  It was to be his downfall.

I forget who pointed it out in the books; but the biggest failure the Targaryens made after their conquest was to not creating a Royal army; and to permit each kingdom to maintain their own standing military.  Grant it; this probably didn't occur to them since they were so overwhelmingly powerful with their dragons. 

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #1572 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:50 AM »
(double post)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: April 16, 2014, 12:29:10 PM »

He was his father's son.  He put family, love, honor first.  The Lannisters put power first & the Baratheons pride.  It was to be his downfall.

I forget who pointed it out in the books; but the biggest failure the Targaryens made after their conquest was to not creating a Royal army; and to permit each kingdom to maintain their own standing military.  Grant it; this probably didn't occur to them since they were so overwhelmingly powerful with their dragons.

Not so sure he put honor first since he broke a vow. But you can definitely say honor was Ned's downfall.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1574 on: April 16, 2014, 01:01:10 PM »
Well, technically he could just get his comfort from Jeyne and leave her and her family there (I'm speaking of book version now), going back to his army. The Freys wouldn't need to know anything, he can still marry the Frey girl of his choice and everyone is happy.

However, because of his honor, he now was bound to marry Jeyne, which he did, which pissed off the Freys.

The show version doesn't show that, it's just kinda like "oh there's that amputator-girl from Volantis named Talisa, she's also cute, let's marry each other".

(I think it's alright to compare the book and the show as all these events have already happened in the show too)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.