Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628447 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1225 on: June 10, 2013, 10:16:26 AM »
Pretty much. Sort of sounds like he can't stop them, only beg them not to. I really hope he doesn't end up rushing the last book because of the tv show, though. Maybe it'll just make him sit down and focus as the end gets closer. The same article also got into how they'll mix 4 and 5. Nothing concrete, but the hints went towards the speculation that things could be told very differently than in the books.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1226 on: June 10, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »
Can you link the article, please?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1227 on: June 10, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1228 on: June 10, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
Its very likely the show will finish before the books and if Martin has a problem with that then he better do something about it.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1229 on: June 10, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »
Its very likely the show will finish before the books and if Martin has a problem with that then he better do something about it.
That was apparent when the tv show first started.. The article finally sheds some light on whether or not the tv show would just end or go ahead of the books and finish on its own. Sounds like they can go ahead and finish if they want, and that they have at least enough information from Martin to do it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: June 10, 2013, 01:30:11 PM »
Yea. I would think that maybe next season we will start seeing changes to the TV story that may have an effect on the end story in the books such as emphasis on certain characters.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1231 on: June 10, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »
Well, they could do with Winter the same thing they're doing with Storm and stretch it out to two seasons.

Also, why is it so far each season has ended with Dany?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1232 on: June 10, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »
If they start just extending things to let GRRM finish the books they run the course of a) the actors playing the children (Arya, Rickon, Bran, Sansa) growing too old to be believable kids, b) losing actors in renegotiations because they want more money or just wanna try something else, or c) the show becoming stale or wearing out it's welcome and getting canceled.

Also, second season didn't end with Dany. It ended with the three blasts of the horn.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:20:47 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1233 on: June 10, 2013, 05:19:44 PM »
They said they don't want to stretch books unless it's warranted. Besides, one or two years won't make up the difference that looks like will be needed. As it is Winds of Winter might be a close call. He had a head start with it when Dance was released and as of last month is still only about 1/4th done with Winds of Winter.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1234 on: June 10, 2013, 05:28:37 PM »
Yeah, silly me. I momentarily forgot how the last season ended  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: June 10, 2013, 06:41:55 PM »
His problem is that AFFC and ADWD have so much filler that will be cut from TV that those two books could potentially be squeezed into one season so they really have only two seasons at most (ADWD stories already started) worth of material before they get into unwritten stuff. I mean they could make anither season but I think they risk losing TV audience. 

They could also do more of what we saw this season which are scenes that are either implied or are never shown in the books because they are with characters who don't have POVs. if that's the case, give us more Tywin and Joffrey

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #1236 on: June 10, 2013, 07:47:21 PM »
His problem is that AFFC and ADWD have so much filler that will be cut from TV that those two books could potentially be squeezed into one season so they really have only two seasons at most (ADWD stories already started) worth of material before they get into unwritten stuff. I mean they could make anither season but I think they risk losing TV audience. 

They could also do more of what we saw this season which are scenes that are either implied or are never shown in the books because they are with characters who don't have POVs. if that's the case, give us more Tywin and Joffrey

If they're going to make any significant deviations from the aFFc and aDwD storylines (which the season finale implied with the Ironborn) I would actually be quite interested in seeing what kinds of changes they make. I just hope they have the enthusiasm for doing so, considering that their primary ambition with this show was to make it to the RW.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1237 on: June 10, 2013, 08:31:52 PM »
I thought next season was supposed to be the second half of Storm?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: June 11, 2013, 05:43:24 AM »
It is, but it seems like they are sprinkling in storylines from the next books as well, but it'll definitely mostly be the second half of SoS.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1240 on: June 12, 2013, 11:30:31 AM »
Ugh. Not really sensible to speak of weddings until next year. And probably even farther than that  :xbones
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1241 on: June 12, 2013, 12:12:47 PM »
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1242 on: June 12, 2013, 02:55:55 PM »
That's great :lol if only the last one was true :(
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1243 on: June 12, 2013, 03:11:30 PM »
That had Robb's age from the show right and then they changed it! :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1244 on: June 15, 2013, 04:08:30 AM »
Really cool rendition of The Rains of Castamere

And here is another, which is the same as the first but with violin added.  Not sure which I prefer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1245 on: June 15, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »
Really cool rendition of The Rains of Castamere

And here is another, which is the same as the first but with violin added.  Not sure which I prefer.

Nice pieces of music... but I feel that he (they) completely missed the intended delivery of the song.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1246 on: June 28, 2013, 01:48:45 PM »
Prince Oberyn Martell, the Red Viper, has been officially cast! He's being played by Pedro Pascal

I've always imagine the Dornish kinda like Latino/Middle-Eastern look, but he needs to get a tan right? Dorne is suppose to be very dessert-y.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: June 28, 2013, 04:49:16 PM »
I was expecting someone bigger.  I always envisioned Oberyn as some colassal scarey badass dude.  I dont recall anything in the literature about him being "big" but for some reason, thats what I envisioned.  Its only a head shot, but he doesnt look like a big intimadating dude.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1248 on: June 28, 2013, 05:13:36 PM »
Well, I guess I know to avoid this thread between now and next March.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1249 on: June 28, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »
I was expecting someone bigger.  I always envisioned Oberyn as some colassal scarey badass dude.  I dont recall anything in the literature about him being "big" but for some reason, thats what I envisioned.  Its only a head shot, but he doesnt look like a big intimadating dude.
I never envisioned him as big, maybe because his weapon of choice is a lance too (and poisons, of course), those don't really make me think of a muscular dude. His personality is big though! Humongous!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1250 on: June 29, 2013, 04:02:26 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: June 29, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
I never envisioned him as big, maybe because his weapon of choice is a lance too (and poisons, of course), those don't really make me think of a muscular dude. His personality is big though! Humongous!

Yea, I think that is why I always envisioned him as big

and the fact that he fights the mountain always made me think this guy must be a mountain too even though we know he had his legit reasons for fighting him

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1252 on: June 29, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »

and the fact that he fights the mountain always made me think this guy must be a mountain too even though we know he had his legit reasons for fighting him
I always thought that was just a classic strength vs speed matchup. They way it's written makes me think Oberyn was just in and out, taunts, repeat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: June 29, 2013, 05:42:52 PM »

I always thought that was just a classic strength vs speed matchup. They way it's written makes me think Oberyn was just in and out, taunts, repeat.

Correct, I kind of forgot about that. Not sure why I thought what I thought other than his personality.

Offline yorost

• Inactive

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1255 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14:48 PM »
So, here's a drawing of the "real" Iron Throne. (i.e. as GRRM imagined it)

Aegon the Conqueror was the walking definition of subtle!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1256 on: July 10, 2013, 02:13:31 AM »
Holy shit... How awesome would that have looked on the TV screen?

Answer: Holy shit...

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1257 on: July 10, 2013, 02:22:01 AM »
That's all sorts of amazing.  :omg:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1258 on: July 10, 2013, 05:04:26 AM »
Damn that looks terrifying.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1259 on: July 10, 2013, 06:08:54 AM »
So, here's a drawing of the "real" Iron Throne. (i.e. as GRRM imagined it)

Aegon the Conqueror was the walking definition of subtle!

That's simply beautifully terrifying. I love it.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.