Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628371 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1015 on: May 13, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
Another great episode. Theons scene.....GoT why you do that to me?
That was brutal!!!!

And, for whatever reason I have a bad feeling about Rob and his new wife. The emphasis they put on how ticked off that guy is going to be about them being late.....the looks his mom gave....making such a big deal about going to meet his wife's mom....then the baby on he way....oooo I love you soooo much.....things like that stick out for a reason it seems.

And I'm starting to like Jamie more and more.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1016 on: May 13, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »
I know you guys have explained that the Theon stuff will pay off, but by this point it's just annoying to watch. It's not interesting, it's not fun, it's not really making any point other than what we've already been shown a hundred times. Either don't show Theon or make something happen already!
I don't know what happens to Theon since I haven't read the books, but to me it looks like they are setting Theon up so that his story becomes incredibly intense. After having all this shit happen to him, I really see him becoming a complete loose cannon that is just out to kill anyone and everyone. This torturing-storyline is really going to fuck his character up.

IMHO, in order to justify a potentially incredibly intense storyline for Theon, they are really taking the time to show what happened to him to make him act a certain way in the future.

Same here. I've actually developed quite a bit of sympathy for him since he got his hand cut-off, and then I've actually caught myself to even like his character when he when back to horrenhor (forgive my spelling).
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1017 on: May 13, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
I'm curious to see what 'the dog' does wih Arya as well. I can't figure the dog out. He helped and protected Sansa a d seems to have a 'nice' side but he's brutal as all hell as well.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1018 on: May 13, 2013, 03:04:55 PM »
I know you guys have explained that the Theon stuff will pay off, but by this point it's just annoying to watch. It's not interesting, it's not fun, it's not really making any point other than what we've already been shown a hundred times. Either don't show Theon or make something happen already!
If they had followed the books, you wouldn't see Theon for this season and the next, I was hoping they'd have the balls to do that but apparently Alfie Allen is a hit with the TV viewers so we get this.

I was watching this episode last night with some friends and they are convinced that the dude torturing him is a Karstark, to which I told them "but how do you not he's not lying? He even said that to Theon!" but that didn't change their mind. Oh well!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: May 13, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »
I've personally loved Jamie ever since he pushed Bran out of a window but it seems the writers are doing a pretty good job with making him like-able, all of my friends have made a complete 180 regarding him in the past few episodes. Favourite part of the newest episode was Tywin completely dominating Joffrey.

#teamlannister

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1020 on: May 13, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »
I couldn't help but feel bad for Theon. That was just wrong

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: May 13, 2013, 06:12:33 PM »
The Theon stuff is a bit over done at this point, hopefully thats the end of the torture scenes for a few episodes.  This season is going to end with a bang, but I felt the last episode was mostly filler trying to slowly lead all these storylines to a point.  I wish they focused more on one set of characters in each episode like the climbing of the wall and large focus on Jon's storyline.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: May 13, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »
I couldn't help but feel bad for Theon. That was just wrong
I'm genuinely curious as to if he cut off the sack only, shaft only, or both? I've honestly spent a good half hour in thought about it today. What the heck? I think it's just the thought of that happening....it's like an unwritten code among men, do anything you want....you can even kick and crush the goodies...but you can't just chop them off.  :omg:

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1023 on: May 13, 2013, 11:50:15 PM »
I think the book talks about them using the same partially skinning and letting it fester technique that they use on the fingers.

So yeah.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1024 on: May 14, 2013, 02:19:30 AM »
I think the book talks about them using the same partially skinning and letting it fester technique that they use on the fingers.

So yeah.

Regular everyday Ramsey
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1025 on: May 14, 2013, 04:21:59 AM »
Favourite part of the newest episode was Tywin completely dominating Joffrey.
Oh that was the greatest thing ever.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: May 14, 2013, 04:57:20 AM »
The sound of his footsteps as he was climbing to the throne was just epicness distilled.
- Marco

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1027 on: May 14, 2013, 07:42:46 AM »

So yeah.
I thought the books never really talked about what happened, we just got left with an impression that something down there happened.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1028 on: May 14, 2013, 08:22:41 AM »
Yeah, the books implied it, but never outright said it happened.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: May 14, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »
Concerning Theons torturer, is it revealed who he is and specifically 'why' he's torturing him? I mean, he is really putting it to him. I guess I'm confused because I'm not sure how he even got there. It was 'his' soldiers who knocked him out lady season....did they sell him or something or are/were they just keeping an eye on him?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: May 14, 2013, 08:59:56 AM »

Same here. I've actually developed quite a bit of sympathy for him since he got his hand cut-off, and then I've actually caught myself to even like his character when he when back to horrenhor (forgive my spelling).

The best parts of the stories, book wise, was the authors ability to present complicated characters who could elicit conflicting emotions in the reader. Honestly, when they started this series I didn't know how they would pull that off but I must tip my hat to the screenwriters and producers. Jamie and Theon are the poster children for having revolting traits, actions and motivations but can produce such strong feelings of pity and empathy in the viewer/reader. This series is masterful!  :hefdaddy
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1031 on: May 14, 2013, 09:03:40 AM »
Concerning Theons torturer, is it revealed who he is and specifically 'why' he's torturing him? I mean, he is really putting it to him. I guess I'm confused because I'm not sure how he even got there. It was 'his' soldiers who knocked him out lady season....did they sell him or something or are/were they just keeping an eye on him?
Yes it's reveal who is torturing him and if you rewatch the second season episode where Robb is told that Winterfell has been taken, you have a pretty good idea of who has him.

Now, I'm guessing is that his Ironborn just picked him up, went outside of Winterfell, left him there and left for the Iron Islands, guessing because it happened different from the books.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: May 14, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »
Yes it's reveal who is torturing him and if you rewatch the second season episode where Robb is told that Winterfell has been taken, you have a pretty good idea of who has him.

Now, I'm guessing is that his Ironborn just picked him up, went outside of Winterfell, left him there and left for the Iron Islands, guessing because it happened different from the books.

The 'why' is a very unexpected reason. I wouldn't dream of spoiling the surprise. Yet, it may be very difficult for the subtlety of the motivation to be conveyed properly in a TV series. I've been surprised by the skill of the producers so far, so we'll just need to wait and see.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1033 on: May 14, 2013, 09:52:22 AM »
I don't remember the dialogue when Robb is told about Winterfell, and I don't really feel like finding it, could someone say? Warn for spoilers if you feel it's needed.

And if it's revealed in the books or something that it's someone else I don't want to know that, only the clues that were given in the season 2 episode.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1034 on: May 14, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »
I was about to answer this, BlackInk, but then I remember that it will be better if I don't because it might diminish/ruined something that will happen on episode 9.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: May 14, 2013, 01:13:39 PM »
I'm happy to learn there is at least some revelation as to why. I can't recall that conversation you speak of with Robb...I may invest some time to search it out but for now just knowing there will be info to come is enough for me.

And, I thought (was hoping) that as Arya made her escape into the night that her Wolf was going to appear....as if he'd been there watching over all along. I really want them to reunite for some reason.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1036 on: May 14, 2013, 01:31:33 PM »
In the books, Nymeria (Arya's direwolf) is mentioned a few times throughout! She's currently leading a pack of wolves in the Riverlands (Riverrun, Harrenhal, The Botherhood Without Banners and Arya are all around the Riverlands) being a total badass killing anyone who comes to where they are and expanding their zone!

She should make a mini appearance soon.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: May 14, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »
In the books, Nymeria (Arya's direwolf) is mentioned a few times throughout! She's currently leading a pack of wolves in the Riverlands (Riverrun, Harrenhal, The Botherhood Without Banners and Arya are all around the Riverlands) being a total badass killing anyone who comes to where they are and expanding their zone!

She should make a mini appearance soon.

When we were watching last Sunday's episode, my wife commented that her one great disappointment with the TV series is the lack screen time for the dire wolves. It's true that they all played a much bigger role in the books and were largely responsible for the mystic surrounding the Stark family and John Snow.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1038 on: May 16, 2013, 07:21:24 AM »
So, I've only just started watching GoT, only seen three episodes of the first season so far. Really liking it though, very engaging! I've browsed this thread a little, but not too thoroughly as I don't want to spoil things too much for myself! :P

Favourite characters so far are Arya, Tyrion and Jon Snow. With the latter, it's not only because he shares his name with a Channel 4 news presenter.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: May 16, 2013, 08:11:21 AM »
Favourite characters so far are Arya, Tyrion and Jon Snow. With the latter, it's not only because he shares his name with a Channel 4 news presenter.

Also, the former Treasury Secretary.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #1040 on: May 16, 2013, 08:44:23 AM »
So, I've only just started watching GoT, only seen three episodes of the first season so far. Really liking it though, very engaging! I've browsed this thread a little, but not too thoroughly as I don't want to spoil things too much for myself! :P

Enjoy the ride!  :tup
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1041 on: May 16, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1042 on: May 16, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »
That's really cool!  :lol
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: May 17, 2013, 04:34:55 AM »
Nice

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1044 on: May 18, 2013, 04:38:43 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1045 on: May 20, 2013, 12:13:51 AM »
The White Walkers, also known as the Others, the most fearsome creatures next to dragons that bring cold wintery death with them where ever they go. Their shrill screams bring the dead with them, massive walls were built to keep them out of Westeros. And the first person to kill one after eight thousand years was none other than Ser Piggy, the Lord of Ham himself, Samwell Tarly of Horn Hill!

Take a moment and appreciate that fucking poetry!

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1046 on: May 20, 2013, 03:37:24 AM »
Amazing episode this week.

My first thought when Sam killed the Walker was "well that was easy". Then I remembered that he did it with that dragon-something spear tip he found. So I really hope that's what did it, because if all it takes to kill a White Walker is one stab in the shoulder I'd be disappointed.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: May 20, 2013, 03:56:51 AM »

My first thought when Sam killed the Walker was "well that was easy". Then I remembered that he did it with that dragon-something spear tip he found. So I really hope that's what did it, because if all it takes to kill a White Walker is one stab in the shoulder I'd be disappointed.

Yes, the dragonglass made the trick  :tup
- Marco

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: May 20, 2013, 06:33:35 AM »

Yes, the dragonglass made the trick  :tup

And he ran off and left it behind!!! :facepalm:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: May 20, 2013, 09:16:12 AM »
Finished it. Third perfect episode of this season, after #4 and #5. My hopes for the next two episodes are on the rise!
- Marco