Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628640 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #595 on: May 14, 2012, 04:54:18 PM »
Spoilers too, don't read.

but that's like 2 years away. The executive producers have stated that ASoS will be divided into two season (no way in hell they can fit the book into 10 episodes) and I'm guessing they'll end the first season/part on the Red Wedding and that happens afterward.

SPOILERS
So I guess Joffrey's death is still two years off?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #596 on: May 14, 2012, 05:09:06 PM »
Spoilers too, don't read.

but that's like 2 years away. The executive producers have stated that ASoS will be divided into two season (no way in hell they can fit the book into 10 episodes) and I'm guessing they'll end the first season/part on the Red Wedding and that happens afterward.

SPOILERS
So I guess Joffrey's death is still two years off?
If they split the book like I said, I guess so.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #597 on: May 14, 2012, 07:52:53 PM »
OH MY GOD! WHAT A FUCKING ENDING!

I just finished watching. It was a great episode, maybe the best since season 2 began considering excitement. I literally gaped at last minute. You fucking Theon!

I know children didn't die but still it's so exciting! and you Theon, fucking bastard!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:08:41 PM by SeRoX »
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #598 on: May 15, 2012, 07:14:15 AM »
Jaime's speech in the last episode (and many speeches throughout the book) show why he might be among the most rational people in Westeros.  He clearly sees the hypocrisy in the political system of Westeros.  One cannot possibly be loyal to anyone since loyalty to one is almost immediately betrayal to another, even among allies.  He asks "how can I vow to protect a king, and stand as he slaughters the people who I vowed to protect."  Everyone denounces him as "Kingslayer" but no one praises him for ending the reign of a mad king. 

The only logical place then to place loyalty is within oneself; the only vow one should make is to the interest of self.  Become a great warrior, to defend yourself and ignore the hypocrisies of religion and politics.  This is Jaime.

Aside from just being truly brotherly to Tyrion; I believe this is also why Tyrion respects and loves him so much.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #599 on: May 15, 2012, 07:19:39 AM »
Jaime's speech in the last episode (and many speeches throughout the book) show why he might be among the most rational people in Westeros.  He clearly sees the hypocrisy in the political system of Westeros.  One cannot possibly be loyal to anyone since loyalty to one is almost immediately betrayal to another, even among allies.  He asks "how can I vow to protect a king, and stand as he slaughters the people who I vowed to protect."  Everyone denounces him as "Kingslayer" but no one praises him for ending the reign of a mad king.

Aside from just being truly brotherly to Tyrion; I believe this is also why Tyrion respects and loves him so much.

I haven't read the books, but wouldn't that bit be complicated somewhat by the fact that he told Tyrion that his commoner bride-to-be was a whore he had hired for him?

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #600 on: May 15, 2012, 07:22:12 AM »

I haven't read the books, but wouldn't that bit be complicated somewhat by the fact that he told Tyrion that his commoner bride-to-be was a whore he had hired for him?

Tywin forced Jaime to do that.  And Jaime, in a later speech, admitted his regret at the time and apologized to Tyrion.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #601 on: May 16, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »
Just stopping in to say that I now have access to HBO online and began watching this series last night, only three episodes in and I'm loving it! I'm hoping to at least knock out one episode a night, tonight I did two, but hopefully in a week or two I can jump in this thread more in depth. Friggin' ton of character names to remember though.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #602 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:28 PM »
Blackwater episode looks pretty insane, movie-level production from the look that we got.  I've heard that they asked for an extra 15% of the budget for it so I hope it's put to good use. 

Anyway, the episode was a bit boring, but I guess the tamer one makes sense coming before the epic.  The Westerling girl (who is apparently Volantene for whatever reason) and Robb's romance doesn't make nearly as much sense as it did in the book.  He doesn't know that his brothers are apparently dead, nor is she nursing him back to health.  Makes his blunder a whole lot less forgivable. 

Disappointed that Arya's escape was so tame.  Could've been a chance to actually see her do something.  Also, something important later on was kind of supposed to happen, but it didn't.   :-\

Stannis is still unconvincing.

Shut up Daenarys.

Besides that, everything else was fine.  I still don't quite understand why some of the changes are being made, but as long as things end up where they should be I only have minor issues.  Theon is fantastic, everything that the writers and the actor have done with him has been excellent.  Looking forward to shit going down in the next episode. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #603 on: May 20, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
Blackwater episode looks pretty insane, movie-level production from the look that we got.  I've heard that they asked for an extra 15% of the budget for it so I hope it's put to good use.
YES! I hope Tyrion doesn't get another hammer to the face. :lol

Anyway, the episode was a bit boring, but I guess the tamer one makes sense coming before the epic.  The Westerling girl (who is apparently Volantene for whatever reason) and Robb's romance doesn't make nearly as much sense as it did in the book.  He doesn't know that his brothers are apparently dead, nor is she nursing him back to health.  Makes his blunder a whole lot less forgivable.
Agreed, it changed completely how he handles his mother and her actions in the show. Why change not only the name (from Jayne to Talisa) but her place of birth is a bit puzzling to me.

Disappointed that Arya's escape was so tame.  Could've been a chance to actually see her do something.  Also, something important later on was kind of supposed to happen, but it didn't.   :-\
To that point, the season finale is called Valar Morghulis, so there's still hope.

Shut up Daenarys.
Her character has regressed so, so much! It's disappointing. Also, SHE'S STILL HASN'T GONE TO THE HOUSE OF THE UNDYING!!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #604 on: May 21, 2012, 07:23:06 AM »

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #605 on: May 21, 2012, 10:27:32 AM »
Tyrion posting a threat on Cersei, even if it was sort of a bluff, was so chilling.  Damn it, Dinklage...how do you pull off those great performances?

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #606 on: May 21, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »
So we watched the worst episode in this season.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #607 on: May 27, 2012, 09:18:46 PM »
Holy shit.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #608 on: May 27, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »
Brilliant. Can't wait for the next one.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #609 on: May 27, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »
The Rains of Castamere, Seth!!! The Rains of FUCKING Castamere!!!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #610 on: May 27, 2012, 10:00:29 PM »
I said god damn :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #611 on: May 28, 2012, 05:12:42 AM »
That was pretty awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #612 on: May 28, 2012, 10:20:55 AM »
Oh my freakin God....when Tywin walked in and said: The battle is over, we have won! and the theme music in the background! :censored :yarr  :corn :hefdaddy
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #613 on: May 28, 2012, 11:49:59 AM »
Very cool. I had no idea that Ser Loras Tryell had teamed up with Tywin.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #614 on: May 28, 2012, 12:50:35 PM »
Very cool. I had no idea that Ser Loras Tryell had teamed up with Tywin.
You should've had an inkling, though.

Littlefiinger going to Renly's camp, Margaery's comment about wanting to be the queen, not a queen. Littlefinger's a schemer.

Kosmo

« Reply #615 on: May 28, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »
Did they seriously just kill off Tyrion AKA my favorite character in the entire series?! My reaction if so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKI-tD0L18A

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #616 on: May 28, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »
Wow, what a episode!

I love ending theme music.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #617 on: May 28, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
Did they seriously just kill off Tyrion AKA my favorite character in the entire series?! My reaction if so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKI-tD0L18A

They didn't.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #618 on: May 28, 2012, 02:49:06 PM »

They didn't.
SPOILERS!!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #619 on: May 28, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »

They didn't.
SPOILERS!!

Oh yeah, spoilers. Sorry.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #620 on: May 28, 2012, 02:50:34 PM »
I don't think they did, it's didn't look like a super serious wound.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #621 on: May 28, 2012, 02:51:22 PM »

They didn't.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, although I do think he will be deformed now.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #622 on: May 29, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
Wouldn't it be awesome if HBO moved some of the budget they had for that horseracing show they cancelled to GoT so they could 12 episodes per season??

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #623 on: May 29, 2012, 02:44:35 PM »
Sex and the City was cancelled?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #624 on: May 29, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
A budget increase would definitely be due next season regardless, considering how high the jump in ratings from the last season to this one has been. 

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #625 on: May 29, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »
https://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/game-of-throne-season-3-cast/

Bunch of people book readers were afraid would be cut are now in, namely the Reeds, who should have appeared this season. 

Hooray!  (Still waiting on a Bastard of Bolton, but since he's been mentioned in the show I'll assume he hasn't been cut)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #626 on: May 29, 2012, 04:15:49 PM »
Read that earlier. Can't wait to see the Brotherhood Without Banners and the Bloody Mummers.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #627 on: May 29, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »
Yeah I saw that earlier too, great news!

So it seems that a lot of people on the interwebs are confused about what happened toward the end of the battle and seem to think that Stannis was taken captive by Lannister men.  Was it not clear that he was being restrained and forced to retreat by his own men?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #628 on: May 29, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »
The finale this week will be an extra 10 minutes longer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #629 on: May 29, 2012, 05:25:23 PM »
It certainly has to be that way for 2nd season ender.  We didn't really see what happened to everyone else apart from what went on at King's Landing.