Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628188 times)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #525 on: April 16, 2012, 12:04:46 AM »
Excellent episode.  The gay Renly part didn't seem very necessary, though.  I didn't really mind it, but what are they trying to do with that?  All I can think of is that it did sort of help to paint Margaery as a practical and cunning girl who knows how to play the game.

Any to explain why she's still a "virgin" for later on...
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #526 on: April 16, 2012, 04:44:54 AM »
Well, I didn't like what they omitted from Tyrion's and Littlefinger's conversation and how the show has completely ignored that subplot.

Solid episode, though, and hey, no sexposition!

What was omitted? Spoiler tags please for others, of course.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #527 on: April 16, 2012, 05:18:30 AM »
Well, I didn't like what they omitted from Tyrion's and Littlefinger's conversation and how the show has completely ignored that subplot.

I think he's referring to SPOILER

the fact that it was Littlefinger who set up his imprisonment in the Eyrie by telling Catelyn that the knife used to try and kill Bran was Tyrion's
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #528 on: April 16, 2012, 05:25:09 AM »

I think he's referring to SPOILER

the fact that it was Littlefinger who set up his imprisonment in the Eyrie by telling Catelyn that the knife used to try and kill Bran was Tyrion's

Got it, thanks. :tup

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #529 on: April 16, 2012, 05:30:14 AM »

I think he's referring to SPOILER (not a book-specific spoiler, this happened in the series too)

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #530 on: April 16, 2012, 07:41:11 AM »
Yes, I was referring to that. Not that big of a deal but since I've really enjoyed Peter Dinklage's and Aidan Guillen's performances I would've like to see that happened.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #531 on: April 16, 2012, 11:38:54 AM »
I'm really relishing how Tyrion is methodically rooting out anyone who'd prove to be a problem for him later on.  It's also good to see him install people he'd trust (even if not by that much) or establish alliances where he sees fit.  That scene with the court advisers was fun to relish.  It's like he read Machiavelli and applied those little pieces of advice about holding on to power.

Then there's Renly...disappointing in so many ways.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #532 on: April 22, 2012, 08:19:53 PM »
The ultra-sadistic Joffrey scene was pretty over-the-top, even by HBO's standards, and kind of unnecessary.  I'm not sure if even book Joffrey would be that extreme.   Since they've already established Joffrey as a cruel prick all over the place, I can't help but think that they're mostly just trying to push buttons there.  Cool episode, though.  They're definitely departing from the book a good deal more than they did for the first book, if I remember correctly, but it's worked so far for the most part. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #533 on: April 22, 2012, 08:26:27 PM »
That scene was necessary to make completely clear that Joffrey is sadistic boy. Yep Seth, they are departing from the book much more than with the first one. Combining things into one, changing the order of others, changing what happens to some characters and what others do, but I understand that those things are necessary to cram an 900+ page book into ten 50 minute episodes.

I don't know, I didn't enjoy much this episode. Roose Bolton wasn't introduce properly (seems to be a running thing this year), I bet no one will remember his name the next time he appears.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #534 on: April 22, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »
WTF was that thing that crawled out of her snatch? Spoiler tags plz.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #535 on: April 22, 2012, 08:52:48 PM »
I figured that scene would be a huge "WTF" for non-book readers.   :lol

Well, it was a shadow-baby in the books, but I guess they thought a CGI creature-like thing would at least make a little more sense.  I'm still kind of glad that they went through with the actual delivery, made it genuinely unsettling. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #536 on: April 22, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »
Needless to say, my girlfriend freaked a little bit... :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #537 on: April 22, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »
Yeah :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #538 on: April 22, 2012, 11:06:13 PM »
That scene was necessary to make completely clear that Joffrey is sadistic boy. Yep Seth, they are departing from the book much more than with the first one. Combining things into one, changing the order of others, changing what happens to some characters and what others do, but I understand that those things are necessary to cram an 900+ page book into ten 50 minute episodes.

I don't know, I didn't enjoy much this episode. Roose Bolton wasn't introduce properly (seems to be a running thing this year), I bet no one will remember his name the next time he appears.

I've said this before, but it's actually a fault of the books that Martin tends to introduce new characters by saying "here they are" without much in the way of exposition and you learn who they are along the way. The TV show is making this dreadfully obvious though.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #539 on: April 23, 2012, 12:09:08 AM »
I prefer that approach for novels but it doesn't work all that well when transported to the medium of film.  I often wonder if I would have any trouble figuring out who is who if I hadn't read the books.  I bet I'd be lost half of the time.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #540 on: April 23, 2012, 04:50:37 AM »
The ultra-sadistic Joffrey scene was pretty over-the-top, even by HBO's standards, and kind of unnecessary. 
Why is it unnecessary to depict Joffrey as the sick evil monster he is?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: April 23, 2012, 09:49:51 AM »
Yeah, after this episode I can comfortably say that this is the best drama show to ever witness the light of day. I haven't read the books, and from reading a lot of comments HBO does take a lot of liberties, but I'm sure this (show) is one of the best adaptations.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #542 on: April 23, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »
It was an alright episode, but nothing amazing.

also, wat
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #543 on: April 23, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »
This was probably my favorite episode of season 2 so far.  They are definitely changing a lot more this season and will probably continue to do so as the tv series goes forward and the source material becomes more complicated, and I'm fine with that.  Any changes/additions they've made have been mostly true to the spirit of the source material and I have faith that the showrunners have enough respect for the books to not let anything get too silly. 

The shadow baby scene was awesome.  The Joffrey scene worked for me.  If I recall correctly (it's been like 3 years now since I last read Clash of Kings) they show Joffrey entertaining himself by being sadisitic in other ways in the book so this was just a way for them to show that he's a psychopath while still meeing their weekly t & a quota.  I like that Tywin Lannister is going to be at Harrenhal apparently.  He's one of my favorite characters and I love Charles Dance's interpretation of him so the more screen time for him the better!  Also, gotta love how he rolled up and was like "wtf, why are you wasting good manpower by torturing and killing these prisoners?  Let's put them to work!"  Oh Tywin, ever the businessman.

Kosmo

« Reply #544 on: April 23, 2012, 01:05:06 PM »
Welp, that was an..interesting ending.

It was a good episode. Tyrion continues to be the highlight for me, Peter Dinklage is such an amazing actor. Arya is also a really cool character.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #545 on: April 24, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »
That baby looked like the bad guy from Fern Gully :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #546 on: April 25, 2012, 03:25:28 PM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #548 on: April 25, 2012, 03:32:45 PM »
 :rollin That's perfect.

Also, just finished the most recent episode and...wowee. This is honestly the first episode I've truly been excited about and really liked though; most of S2 has bored me to death (with the exception of the previous episode). But for the first time I'm really anticipating the next episode and can't wait to see what becomes of this crazy-witch-lady and her...er...'child'. I don't even really know what the hell happened to the thing. It looked like it grew into an adult (which would make sense considering her crazily quick term) from some kind of smoke monster. Never thought I'd use that word again after Lost...hopefully this one is a bit more interesting than that one.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #549 on: April 25, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »
When something compares Al Gore to Ned Stark, it has gone terribly wrong.

...yeah, I get it, but so wrong.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #550 on: April 25, 2012, 04:10:43 PM »
Yeah but that one tickled me the most.  "Always going on about climate change"  :rollin

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #551 on: April 26, 2012, 04:22:21 AM »
Yeah but that one tickled me the most.  "Always going on about climate change"  :rollin
Yeah, that had me like "huh" for a while but then it hit me. :lol

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #552 on: April 26, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »
*pictures Al Gore at a debate*

WINTER IS COMING

BITCHES
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #553 on: April 26, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »
The Al Gore one has me in stitches, honestly. It's BRILLIANT.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #554 on: April 30, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »
So that was another awsome episode last night!  Very plot heavy and set up a lot of exciting stuff to come in the second half of the season.  Me likey.  Also that awesome shot of the brothers of the Watch setting up shop at the Fist of the First Men with the lovely Iceland scenery and Ghost just chillin= :hefdaddy.

Offline TVC 15

« Reply #555 on: April 30, 2012, 04:15:30 PM »
I was surprised that Tyrion wasn't clever enough to figure out that he was the "monkey" being referred to by the rabble rouser.  Man, I wouldn't want to be in Tyrion's position:  the kingdom withering away because of discontent from the locals compounded by the full consolidation of the Baratheon troops.

I wonder where that leaves the Winterfell troops, now that they've lost an allied army and are being attacked in their homeland by Theon's navy? 

Speaking of which...WTF Theon, this isn't the time to work on your Daddy Issues.  Your *real* family has always been The Starks.  You break their hearts by stabbing them in the back.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #556 on: April 30, 2012, 04:20:13 PM »
He's paying the iron price.

Offline TVC 15

« Reply #557 on: April 30, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »
Of course Theon hasn't received the message yet that no matter what he does, his father has already written him off as "tainted" by the influence of The Starks.  He's more Winterfell now than Pyke.  And the countrymen from his birthplace openly mock him too.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #558 on: April 30, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
Even if he realizes it, there isn't much he can do. If he fled, his sister would probably pursue and kill him, dying an alleged traitor.

Offline TVC 15

« Reply #559 on: April 30, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »
I guess you're right.

It's really dumb though that he's pretty much abandoned his primary objective of getting some ships to fight under the Stark banner.  That objective seemed secondary all along.