Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628632 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #7980 on: April 12, 2021, 11:10:55 AM »
I'd say finish the show if you choose to start it. That way you can understand all the memes that shit on season 7 and 8.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7981 on: April 12, 2021, 11:22:39 AM »
Or we could call it a day after the season 7 finale, with the Wall coming down and imaging the impending doom for all of Westeros, but that would mean to relive again the festival of contrivancies and plot conveniences that the whole "let's get a wight to show Cersei" farce was.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the plot, these episodes gave us some great groups of characters - watching Jon Snow, Jorah, The Hound, Gendry and others all venture out beyond the wall was pretty damn cool, given that those characters were never really around each other in earlier seasons.  The same with the big giant meeting in Kings Landing, where EVERYONE was together. 

The show kept so many characters separate for 6 seasons, so seeing them all interact together during 7 and 8 was definitely my favorite element of those final seasons.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7982 on: April 12, 2021, 12:31:47 PM »
Oh yeah, on that I agree, specially the suicide squad beyond the wall was very cool. I just wished it came together more organically and not going backwards from the plot point "we have to get a dragon killed beyond the wall".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7983 on: April 12, 2021, 02:39:49 PM »
Starting a show with no intention of finishing it makes no sense to me. For some shows, that can work ok I guess, like those where each season is a fairly self-contained narrative/story. But GOT is one of those shows that's one big story, and where right from the start it puts a lot of time and focus on setting up long arcs that are meant to work throughout the whole show.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7984 on: April 12, 2021, 03:00:47 PM »
Starting a show with no intention of finishing it makes no sense to me. For some shows, that can work ok I guess, like those where each season is a fairly self-contained narrative/story. But GOT is one of those shows that's one big story, and where right from the start it puts a lot of time and focus on setting up long arcs that are meant to work throughout the whole show.

The largest disappointment for me was the whole Jon Snow being Aegon Targaryen. That underlying storyline and all the things that happened leading into the 'reveal'.....then, it's literally just wasted. I get that Jon killing the Night King would have been the 'easy' way out but that's where the story was going. It absolutely should have been him to defeat the Night King but the two dumbasses running the show thought they'd get cute with it. Arya certainly had the chops to do it but this random Arya kill just to be shocking failed the Jon Snow/Aegon Targaryen story that had been building for seasons. Not to mention then he's just literally cast aside and underutilized in the aftermath of it all. It was such poor writing and decisions made with his character in particular.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7985 on: April 12, 2021, 03:24:48 PM »
Even the killing of the Night King and the consequent annihilation of the entire army of White Walkers was so cheap. Just go for the final boss and you won. Winter is coming here, winter is coming there, the very first scene was about the White Walkers, essentially the entire premise was "look at all these selfish assholes playing at a game, the game of thrones, while unaware of the REAL and existential menace, the one that's coming from beyond the Wall".... all of that potential wasted.

They spent 8 years promising us World War II, and Hitler got shanked the moment he entered Poland.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7986 on: April 12, 2021, 06:36:41 PM »
Or we could call it a day after the season 7 finale, with the Wall coming down and imaging the impending doom for all of Westeros, but that would mean to relive again the festival of contrivancies and plot conveniences that the whole "let's get a wight to show Cersei" farce was.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of the plot, these episodes gave us some great groups of characters - watching Jon Snow, Jorah, The Hound, Gendry and others all venture out beyond the wall was pretty damn cool, given that those characters were never really around each other in earlier seasons.  The same with the big giant meeting in Kings Landing, where EVERYONE was together. 

The show kept so many characters separate for 6 seasons, so seeing them all interact together during 7 and 8 was definitely my favorite element of those final seasons.

Agreed.  While the premise of going to get a wight to bring to Cersei was pretty absurd, the episode itself with them beyond the wall was pretty great.  Daenerys swooping in with her dragons to lay the smackdown on the undead and then the Night King taking down Viserion is one of the most bad ass sequences of the last two seasons.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7987 on: April 13, 2021, 03:47:45 PM »

Yup.  I can see starting and stopping due to not liking it, but going in with the intention to stop seems odd to me.  I think if you get knee deep in the story, you'll want to finish it.  It's such a deep/rich overall storyline for the show that I can't see how someone, even knowing that the end was not good, would want to walk away. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #7988 on: April 14, 2021, 11:00:33 AM »
I haven't watched anything in between halfway through season 4 and the last episode of the final season :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7989 on: April 14, 2021, 11:19:15 AM »
I haven't watched anything in between halfway through season 4 and the last episode of the final season :lol

That's like not listening anything from DT after Scenes from a Memory and then listening to Raw Dog.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7990 on: October 05, 2021, 03:49:53 PM »
House Of The Dragon | Official Teaser

I'm excited! The only thing missing is a great theme music, hopefully that will come in the trailer.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7991 on: October 05, 2021, 08:19:35 PM »
I'm hopeful it will be entertaining. I have seen the animated short that got released with the season seven boxset and it was a very interesting story. The series will obviously be a lot more fleshed out and should have pretty visuals.

Also maybe we make another thread for the new show?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7992 on: October 05, 2021, 08:22:28 PM »
New teaser trailer looks awesome!

I was meaning to bump this thread - I'm re-watching Game of Thrones.  Started Season 1 the other day and I'm nearly finished.  I'm picking up on a lot more things that I'd either forgotten, or seeing some small breadcrums being laid for the future seasons.

What I did notice is that the final two seasons were blasted hard for the quick pace and the show ignoring the passage of time.  Well guess what, that occurred early on in the first season as well.  Sansa sent a raven to Winterfell after Ned Stark's arrest for treason, and in the very next scene, Robb Stark is reading the message from the raven.  I disliked the shortened final seasons as much as anyone, but I think a lot of fans were and remain incredibly unfair to those final two seasons. 

As for my re-watch, I'm falling in love with the show (and Ned Stark) all over again.  I had forgotten plenty of moments in these early seasons, since my wife and I quite literally watched one season a week for six weeks straight in 2016. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7993 on: October 05, 2021, 08:40:47 PM »
Liked the trailer. Will definitely check it out

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7994 on: October 06, 2021, 07:57:17 AM »
Definitely a fun-looking trailer.

I liked the book on which it is based.  Looking forward to checking this out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7995 on: October 06, 2021, 08:06:10 AM »
I'm cautiously optimistic for this show.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #7996 on: October 07, 2021, 04:19:21 PM »

Me too. GoT was a massive disappointment.

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7997 on: March 30, 2022, 01:27:18 PM »
Well we got ourself a date:

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7998 on: March 30, 2022, 02:33:30 PM »
I would much rather have The Winds of Winter.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7999 on: March 31, 2022, 09:32:49 AM »
I'm finding it really hard to get jazzed about this.

I'm going to watch it though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8000 on: March 31, 2022, 10:15:40 AM »
I'm finding it really hard to get jazzed about this.

I'm going to watch it though.

Same. Definitely going to check it out, but my expectations aren't too high.  HBO does usually make quality shows, but even years later it's been hard to shake off the feeling of the last GOT season.

I would much rather have The Winds of Winter.

Same, but I gave up on expecting that and at this point, my memories of the storylines/characters in the books is so faded, I'm not even sure I would read it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8001 on: April 29, 2022, 09:33:27 AM »
I'm kinda in the middle because even if i'm cautious I would really love for this to be proven wrong and be a hit, that's how much I loved the early seasons of GOT. Best television ever imo.
Now of course the reality of living up to hype is almost impossible but since it's a fresh start they might have a chance.
I had no idea about GOT before watching it, I wish I could reprogram my brain to have no preconceived expectations for this.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8002 on: May 06, 2022, 03:32:47 PM »
House of the Dragon - Official Teaser Trailer

Interesting, hopefully the actually theme music will be more than this. Nice hint of the GOT theme at 1:10.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #8003 on: May 10, 2022, 02:39:47 PM »
It is staggering how little I care for the ip since season 8 to be honest.

Does this being based on an existing one off book mean this is a planned out story and not something they (seemingly) make up as they go? That might give me a bit more faith.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8004 on: May 11, 2022, 06:43:52 AM »
Does this being based on an existing one off book mean this is a planned out story and not something they (seemingly) make up as they go? That might give me a bit more faith.
Well, hold on.  It's based on the first book of a proposed 2 book set.  And we know Martin's track record on finishing things.

So I'd say the chances of the showrunners eventually having to make shit up is pretty high.  But probably not for this first season.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8005 on: May 11, 2022, 08:41:52 AM »
Well, hold on.  It's based on the first book of a proposed 2 book set.  And we know Martin's track record on finishing things.

So I'd say the chances of the showrunners eventually having to make shit up is pretty high.  But probably not for this first season.

Yeah, but isn't the existing book more like a faux-history book than a novel?  (I own it, but only read a bit of it before losing interest.) I think that would give the show runners a lot more flexibility in where they go with the story.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8006 on: May 11, 2022, 11:26:39 PM »

Indeed, although thankfully it's different showrunners.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8007 on: May 12, 2022, 01:44:59 AM »

Me too. GoT was a massive disappointment.

Picture is always funny, but noway was Season 5 better than 6...

I'd rank em...
Seasons 3 & 4.
Seasons 1 & 6.
Seasons 2 & 7.
Season 5.
Season 8 (even the first 3 episodes were fine....it was only the last 3 episodes when things went wrong..).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8008 on: May 12, 2022, 06:51:21 AM »
Yeah, my experience is similar to that drawing.  I got sucked in hook line and sinker for seasons one through three, and as the Two IdiotsTM (I can't even say their names) influenced the story-telling more and more, I lost the magic more and more.  In my view, it went from almost a psychological thriller set in medieval times to a Marvel movie.  Even though the transition started much earlier, the metaphorical jumping of the shark for me was the battle in Season 7 where Bronn - remember, he's a sellsword who just wants his gold, his woman, and his castle, and he sold out everyone, including his best friend to that point, Tyrion, to get it - leaped to the side like he had springs in his boots and his horse had rockets to save Jaime from the dragonfire.   You can always tell when a "creative" team is tapped for ideas when they grasp for the tired, trite, done-to-death-by-better-people "redemption" trope.   I watched the rest, out of obligation, but that to me was the point that it was only about the actors and their (almost universally) wonderful protrayal of the characters that George R.R. Martin lovingly created and the Two IdiotsTM treated like gum on their shoe.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8009 on: May 12, 2022, 10:18:09 AM »
Martin is as much to blame.  If he'd pulled his finger out and actually wrote more material instead of continuously claiming it's coming soon only for it even now not shown up, things would have been different. 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8010 on: May 12, 2022, 10:56:48 AM »
Martin is as much to blame.  If he'd pulled his finger out and actually wrote more material instead of continuously claiming it's coming soon only for it even now not shown up, things would have been different.

If you sign on to run a show knowing that the series is not complete you need to have a plan for that.  When they started A Dance with Dragons wasn't even out yet, and A Feast for Crows had taken 5 years to complete.  ADwD ended up taking 6 years, and came out the same year the show premiered.  At that point they should have been making plans in case they got ahead of the books, since it was becoming a strong likelihood. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8011 on: May 12, 2022, 03:42:38 PM »
In my view, it went from almost a psychological thriller set in medieval times to a Marvel movie.
This is deeply insulting to Marvel movies.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #8012 on: May 12, 2022, 04:49:09 PM »
lol that horse pic.  so true  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8013 on: May 13, 2022, 01:39:30 AM »

If you sign on to run a show knowing that the series is not complete you need to have a plan for that.  When they started A Dance with Dragons wasn't even out yet, and A Feast for Crows had taken 5 years to complete.  ADwD ended up taking 6 years, and came out the same year the show premiered.  At that point they should have been making plans in case they got ahead of the books, since it was becoming a strong likelihood.

They did. They got told by GRRM how the main plot points would end. And they conjured up an ending to match somehow, someway those plot points without caring, or wanting, to lay the groundwork for the storylines to organically get there.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8014 on: May 13, 2022, 03:00:14 AM »

They did. They got told by GRRM how the main plot points would end.

We'll see if/when the books come out.