Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 640764 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #7840 on: October 30, 2019, 09:37:02 AM »
All of those things (and more) should have happened. That episode just... ugh.

IMO It's a glaring example of how those two had little idea as to how to handle the show after the source material dried up

I 'liked' the episode....think it was pretty cool....yet....there was a completely different way to handle it that could have made it epic on a level of epicness that would have been renowned for years. They missed a chance there.

I totally agree... also... if they had kept seasons 7 and 8 a full 10 episodes like normal, and even just added ONE more season of 10 episodes, they could've built up to the final battle at you-know-where so much better. As in, almost all of the companions dead through various episodes as the political tension and war crimes ratchet up, and with our 'big heroes' going in there with almost nobody to assist them, give them knowledge, tactics etc... just one final hurrah, a hail Mary if you will, with the very last remaining big characters (maybe 3 or 4) charging in. And IMO, ending with a little hint that the White Walkers AREN'T GONE - that would have been perfect...

But, TV, ratings, fanservice... oh well, I can keep dreaming.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7841 on: October 30, 2019, 10:22:08 AM »
(By the way, during Season 1 through, say, 5, did we have an idea who Jon Stark's mom is?  We "know" he's Ned's bastard, but what was the story that was told?   He - obviously - wasn't Catelyn's, but what was the understanding BEFORE Bran's flashbacks to the tower and Lyanna came up in Season 6?)

This wasn't changed for the TV show, so it was in the books as well and all you had to do was going online to find the theory discussed. So everyone who bothered to write on Google "Jon's true parents" would have long known what was the leading theory for ages.

It was so discussed that the actual surprise would have been Jon NOT being the son of who eventually turned out to be the parents.

But that wasn't my question. I wasn't asking what the theory is/was, I was asking what did we KNOW.  What did Ned tell Jon about his mother.  I think the answer is "not much", so the premise I'm working on is that as of Season 6 Episode 10, JON SNOW believes his dad to be Ned Stark and he doesn't have even a hint as to who his mother might be.   

But Bran has information - and we have slightly less information, assuming Bran knows what the whisper is and we don't - that Jon doesn't, that Ned's sister Lyanna gave birth to a baby that we're heavily influenced to believe is Jon Snow (the full screen shot of the baby, then the full screen shot of Jon Snow is about as subtle as GG Allin), which means that unless Ned engaged in some pretty heavy duty Lannister shit, Ned's not the father after all, and Jon is not of House Stark.  (Which also has repurcussions, potentially, since that means that Sansa is the next in line to be Queen Of The North, which of course might change Peter Baelish's thinking.)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7842 on: October 30, 2019, 10:27:29 AM »
(By the way, during Season 1 through, say, 5, did we have an idea who Jon Stark's mom is?  We "know" he's Ned's bastard, but what was the story that was told?   He - obviously - wasn't Catelyn's, but what was the understanding BEFORE Bran's flashbacks to the tower and Lyanna came up in Season 6?)

This wasn't changed for the TV show, so it was in the books as well and all you had to do was going online to find the theory discussed. So everyone who bothered to write on Google "Jon's true parents" would have long known what was the leading theory for ages.

It was so discussed that the actual surprise would have been Jon NOT being the son of who eventually turned out to be the parents.

But that wasn't my question. I wasn't asking what the theory is/was, I was asking what did we KNOW.  What did Ned tell Jon about his mother.  I think the answer is "not much", so the premise I'm working on is that as of Season 6 Episode 10, JON SNOW believes his dad to be Ned Stark and he doesn't have even a hint as to who his mother might be.   

Ah, sorry. Yes, you're correct.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #7843 on: October 30, 2019, 11:39:59 AM »

But Bran has information - and we have slightly less information, assuming Bran knows what the whisper is and we don't - that Jon doesn't, that Ned's sister Lyanna gave birth to a baby that we're heavily influenced to believe is Jon Snow (the full screen shot of the baby, then the full screen shot of Jon Snow is about as subtle as GG Allin), which means that unless Ned engaged in some pretty heavy duty Lannister shit, Ned's not the father after all, and Jon is not of House Stark.  (Which also has repurcussions, potentially, since that means that Sansa is the next in line to be Queen Of The North, which of course might change Peter Baelish's thinking.)
Yes you are right. Just to expand slightly on exactly what was known to the characters - in the second episode of Season 1 before they part ways Jon Snow asks Ned about this.
Jon: ls my mother alive? Does she know about me? Where l am, where l'm going? Does she care?
Ned: The next time we see each other, we'll talk about your mother.
By Season 6 Episode 10 Jon Snow never got any further info about it, so he believed Ned Stark was his father but had no idea who his mother was.

As for what the story that Jon and other people in general believed was; during Robert's Rebellion (the war against the Mad King), Ned Stark was away fighting the war for many months. He came back with a baby he acknowledged as his bastard son, with someone he slept with while at war in the south. He never told people exactly who the mother was but his story wasn't doubted as it was a pretty common thing to happen. Even Robert Baratheon who was his war buddy didn't know who the mother was as he asks Ned Stark about what she looked like. So the official story was that the mother was just "someone Ned Stark slept with while at war in the south", and Ned Stark not telling people who he had slept with was quite easily believed to be down to his honour and the fact he was ashamed to have broken his wedding vows.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7844 on: October 30, 2019, 12:32:10 PM »
'twas a bit of an hyperbole, c'mon  :D

Haha, I get it, but it does seem like many think everyone hated the final season as much as they did, so it's become commonplace for some to throw out the "everyone hated the final season of Game of Thrones" line, and it's sometimes nice to throw a reminder that some of us did in fact like it.  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7845 on: October 30, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »
Sure, but everyone is not that far off of a description :lol

Although hate is a strong word.  There was definitely cool stuff going down that was enjoyable and satisfying.  I just didn't like the season as a whole at the end of the day.  Series ended on a bummer.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7846 on: October 30, 2019, 01:16:32 PM »
'twas a bit of an hyperbole, c'mon  :D

Haha, I get it, but it does seem like many think everyone hated the final season as much as they did, so it's become commonplace for some to throw out the "everyone hated the final season of Game of Thrones" line, and it's sometimes nice to throw a reminder that some of us did in fact like it.  :biggrin:

I didn’t hate it by any means and generally don’t mind how it ended or what happened along the way. But there’s no denying the final two seasons were extremely rushed and suffered due to how quickly the pace was amped up compared to the first handful of seasons.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7850 on: October 30, 2019, 03:34:27 PM »
Damn. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online faizoff

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online faizoff

« Reply #7852 on: October 30, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »
Interesting blog post from GRRM.
http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/10/30/the-dragons-take-wing/

Main takeaway is that he's not going to be writing any episode for the new show until he finishes writing Winds of Winter and delivers it.

But… let me make this perfectly clear… I am not taking on any scripts until I have finished and delivered WINDS OF WINTER.  Winter is still coming, and WINDS remains my priority, as much as I’d love to write an episodes of HOUSE.
He also writes that HBO wasn't trying to choose between The long night or House of the Dragon.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7853 on: October 31, 2019, 02:21:27 AM »
That's a pity. Probably they made a business decision, they considered dragons more exciting and more able to bring new people in, as well as keeping the fans of GoT aboard.

Let's face it, everyone loves dragons and Danerys was for the most part a beloved character, so people will want to revisit her house. The White Walkers stuff was more mystical and oriented towards those who like a good overarching fantasy mystery but given how it all ended, the interest for them realistically dropped.

I wouldn't be terribily interested either in a show about the early killing days of Dexter knowing he'd end up as a lumberjack.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7854 on: October 31, 2019, 06:00:08 AM »
My fear with a dragon-heavy focus is that it's going to eat up the budget. Those babies aren't cheap. My guess is that the dragons are going to be more of an afterthought, or the ones we see regularly are going to be small or distant.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7855 on: October 31, 2019, 07:03:37 AM »
Stads, don't click this.   

:rollin :rollin :rollin

https://gfycat.com/measlyillustriousafricanrockpython-plan-about-nothing-game-of-thrones-bran-stark
:rollin :rollin :rollin

I've gotta say, I've read Fire & Blood, the basis for House of the Dragon, and frankly, I would have rather seen The Long Night come to fruition.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7856 on: October 31, 2019, 07:41:14 AM »
I just remembered on the season 7 bluray they added a bonus disk called Conquest and Rebellion. It's an animated feature that has stories narrated by GoT characters. It's also set 300 years ago and details on a lot of the Targaryen ascent and conflict, I wonder if it's just an expansion on those stories.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7857 on: October 31, 2019, 07:51:09 AM »
I just remembered on the season 7 bluray they added a bonus disk called Conquest and Rebellion. It's an animated feature that has stories narrated by GoT characters. It's also set 300 years ago and details on a lot of the Targaryen ascent and conflict, I wonder if it's just an expansion on those stories.

Likely and without seeing that to know for sure, I'd imagine they are telling stories from the book Fire and Blood that GRRM wrote which is also the inspiration for the new series.  That book is just loose stories of the past in the GOT world and aren't terribly detailed so it seems they will take the story of the origin of House Targaryan and expand upon it. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #7858 on: October 31, 2019, 08:00:53 AM »
Yeah I haven't read the Fire and Blood book so I too don't know if that animated movie is based of if but it sure sounds like it. The animated movie was quite good and the stories were great, and that was again just the cliff notes of the history, I imagine it will be greatly expanded for the live action show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7859 on: October 31, 2019, 08:04:43 AM »
HAHA.  "Stads, don't click this"...  and 83 posts claiming how awesome said click is.   :)

Thanks, guys!

(I'm totally kidding; I appreciate the spoiler alert, and the general consideration, but I'm well aware I'm the outlier here.)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #7860 on: October 31, 2019, 01:16:13 PM »
Ned's not the father after all, and Jon is not of House Stark. 
You understood the heritage implications well, but he really is a Stark, because his mom is. He just doesn't stand a chance at inheriting anything from house Stark (unless something happens to all of Ned's children and the house has to branch out in search of heirs), but he is as much of a Stark as his (now cousins) siblings are.

Fun fact: go back and notice how Ned tells him, in their last conversation, "you may not have my name, but you have my blood". Gotta love that little twist of phrasing - Ned ruined his honor and spread the lie that Jon is his bastard, but he still doesn't outright say "you are my son", even though he raised Jon and he is the only father Jon has ever known.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7861 on: October 31, 2019, 01:31:45 PM »
Yeah, Ned Stark is the only man that went to his grave with the secret that he DIDN'T cheat on his wife  :biggrin:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7862 on: October 31, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »
Ned's not the father after all, and Jon is not of House Stark. 
You understood the heritage implications well, but he really is a Stark, because his mom is. He just doesn't stand a chance at inheriting anything from house Stark (unless something happens to all of Ned's children and the house has to branch out in search of heirs), but he is as much of a Stark as his (now cousins) siblings are.

Fun fact: go back and notice how Ned tells him, in their last conversation, "you may not have my name, but you have my blood". Gotta love that little twist of phrasing - Ned ruined his honor and spread the lie that Jon is his bastard, but he still doesn't outright say "you are my son", even though he raised Jon and he is the only father Jon has ever known.
WHOA!  MIND BLOWN.  No, seriously; in covering all the permutations, it never occurred to me that either way he IS a Stark, just not the RIGHT Stark.  Thanks for that (I'm being serious; I completely spaced that Lyanna is a Stark as well). 

Online faizoff

« Reply #7863 on: October 31, 2019, 02:14:40 PM »
Stadler are you done with season 7?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7864 on: October 31, 2019, 02:17:15 PM »
No.  Just finished the end of six.  Cersei destroyed half of King's Landing, and drove her son to his own death.  Daenerys is on the march with Tyrion.   Arya exacted her revenge on Walder Frey.   

I'll probably start seven this weekend. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7865 on: October 31, 2019, 02:25:38 PM »
No.  Just finished the end of six.  Cersei destroyed half of King's Landing, and drove her son to his own death.  Daenerys is on the march with Tyrion.   Arya exacted her revenge on Walder Frey.   

I'll probably start seven this weekend.

How good was that season finale? Arguably my favorite episode of the show. The cinematography, music, script, and acting - bullseyes on all fronts.

Season 7 had its critics but for me some of the series' best moments are there too.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7866 on: October 31, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »
That opening sequence  :hefdaddy

Season 7 wasn't the greatest, but it certainly had a strong ending

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7867 on: October 31, 2019, 02:34:31 PM »

I wish I could watch his reaction to episode 6 in real time. I think I watched that episode at least once a day, every day, leading up to the S7 finale, I loved it so much  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7868 on: October 31, 2019, 05:23:02 PM »
The "king in the north" scene is just amazing.

Also, Arya killing Walder Frey was just soooooooo satisfying.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7869 on: November 01, 2019, 03:11:32 AM »

The pinnacle of the show, the coordination between the AMAZING music, the various scenes and the climax of it all was breathtaking. Maybe not a perfect moment logic-wise, with all the perfect coincidences that only movies get (like Lancel being stabbed in the exact way that allowed him to live and crawl to the wildfire moments before it exploded) but come on, all that Light of the Seven scene deserves nothing but a standing ovation  :hefdaddy

An ending so strong that gave hope for the final season. Season 7 was as bad as Season 8, but it had some legit great scenes (Olenna with Jaimie, the loot train attack) and the promise of sh1t going down with that epic final scene.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7870 on: November 01, 2019, 12:20:15 PM »

The pinnacle of the show, the coordination between the AMAZING music, the various scenes and the climax of it all was breathtaking. Maybe not a perfect moment logic-wise, with all the perfect coincidences that only movies get (like Lancel being stabbed in the exact way that allowed him to live and crawl to the wildfire moments before it exploded) but come on, all that Light of the Seven scene deserves nothing but a standing ovation  :hefdaddy

The reflection in Lancel's eyes of the wildfire igniting is one of the best single shots, from a visual standpoint, in the entire series, IMO.  Amazing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7871 on: November 01, 2019, 08:04:19 PM »

I lost track, which episode is this?

Online faizoff

« Reply #7872 on: November 01, 2019, 09:18:58 PM »
Season 6 Episode 10 - The finale. The music with the Godfather like opening. I think it's still my favorite season finale. Just a hair above season 4 finale.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7873 on: November 06, 2019, 12:20:48 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7874 on: November 06, 2019, 02:15:48 PM »
Despite season 8, I'm excited for this.