Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 640316 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #7805 on: October 28, 2019, 09:05:07 PM »
I stand by my opinion of Season 8: it wasn't as great as it could have been, but wasn't nearly as bad as many made it out to be, and final sequence of the series (last 5-6 minutes) is still amazing. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7806 on: October 29, 2019, 06:00:04 AM »
I do know I definitely have a loathing for those two guys now.
Tell me about it. My thoughts go out to Star Wars fans who might have to watch these two butcher a trilogy of movies. History teaches us they are likely to take the most loved storyline/property in the extended universe and then grow bored halfway through. Maybe they will wanna take the sci-fi out of it to ~make mothers watch it~ (nobody tell them giving birth to a child doesn't turn the part of your brain that likes high fantasy/sci-fi off).

Would not be surprised if their Star Wars trilogy ends up cancelled like the Rian Johnson one. All it took in his case was 1 Star Wars movie that got some mixed reception and the plans for him to helm a trilogy were swept under the rug. In this case I feel they hired these guys before the massive backlash to the GoT ending and thought they got a sweet deal but after the last season's reception and after comments like this you really wonder if Disney are gonna stick to the plan. I mean they're being quite open about not knowing what they were doing, and you want to hand them the keys to the kingdom of your billion dollar franchise?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-shocker-game-thrones-duo-quits-planned-trilogy-1250666

"We love Star Wars. When George Lucas built it, he built us too,"  Benioff and Weiss said in a statement. "Getting to talk about Star Wars with him and the current Star Wars team was the thrill of a lifetime, and we will always be indebted to the saga that changed everything. But there are only so many hours in the day, and we felt we could not do justice to both Star Wars and our Netflix projects. So we are regretfully stepping away."

It kind of shocks me that Netflix can pay these guys more for whatever they're doing with them than what Star Wars would bring in.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7807 on: October 29, 2019, 06:08:40 AM »
Whoah. Star Wars fans dodget a bullet.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online faizoff

« Reply #7808 on: October 29, 2019, 06:55:03 AM »
Wow weren't D&D supposed to collaborate their trilogies with Rian Johnson? With all of them getting heavily criticized regarding their last output, I guess this shouldn't come as that big of a surprise.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7809 on: October 29, 2019, 07:18:21 AM »
Whoah. Star Wars fans dodget a bullet.

Great news

It kind of shocks me that Netflix can pay these guys more for whatever they're doing with them than what Star Wars would bring in.

I don't know about the money, but I wouldn't be surprised if some public or private pressure was a big reason to drop out of Star Wars. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7810 on: October 29, 2019, 08:00:29 AM »

Personally I thing they know they were in over their heads. Plus, with the backlash they received from the GOT debacle......and how rabid a fan base the Star Wars community is.....they knew/know there is not wiggle room when it comes to nailing the next trilogy. Those movies are already under a microscope and they haven't even been written.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7811 on: October 29, 2019, 08:04:05 AM »
With respect to Chino, I don't think it was money.  I think it was more like the Star Wars leadership saying "you're out.  Now, you can go out there and bad mouth us and never work again in the industry, or you can go out there and save face and claim you have other projects taking too much time.  Your call on the delivery, but you have absolutely no say on the decision.  You're out." 

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #7812 on: October 29, 2019, 08:07:11 AM »
The amount of films that were supposedly planned for Star Wars always seemed quite ridiculous and likely to fall through. Why they were ever talking about having multiple trilogies at the same time escapes me. It seemed like they were taking advantage of the peak of Star Wars hype in the couple of years after The Force Awakens to line up as many potential Star Wars projects as they could, and everyone who might be involved in making future films gets a whole potential trilogy rather than just an individual film. A bit like how there were 4 or 5 different Game Of Thrones spin offs in the works, now there are one or two looking likely to move forward - they could pick the ones that seemed most viable. It makes sense that a Benioff & Weiss led trilogy isn't the most viable path for Star Wars sequels now so I'm happy with the news that they are off of it.

My reaction probably isn't the same as most people's seems to be though (i.e. I think that "Dum and Dummer" would be incapable of putting together a decent Star Wars project so I'm super happy they won't be "ruining" another franchise). Partially that might be because I am not that excited about the future of Star Wars films at the moment anyway, so even if D&D did make a Star Wars trilogy as terrible as that show Game Of Thrones it wouldn't be a big loss to me. But also I guess I don't think it's going to be that hard to come up with a concept and storyline for Star Wars that would be interesting - much of the Star Wars universe is already built, and it's not going to take a creator like GRRM to come up with a premise and small cast of characters needed for a two and a half hour fillm. Hell, any Star Wars fan can probably blurt out some premise that sounds half decent, and there's plenty of inspiration from novels, video games etc. even if you don't lift the exact details from a specific storyline. The bigger challenge rather than lack of possibly story ideas is getting from idea to reality, which is where industry clout, ability to attract talent, past experience making high quality big budget fantasy, and a clear vision and hook for marketing (especially in an era where the "Skywalker Saga" is supposedly finished and there's a less clear idea about what a Star Wars sequel will actually be) will come in. I wouldn't be surprised if that last one was the main selling point of Benioff & Weiss making Star Wars films in the first place. Being able to advertise "From the Creators of Game Of Thrones" on a Star Wars film might have allowed the franchise a bridge into some material that might otherwise have been seen as unpalatable to mainstream audiences and so never approved for such big budget films (not HBO level perhaps, but think say slightly more grey conflicts or political storylines). But at this point I think the positive of being associated with "from the creators of Game Of Thrones" wouldn't significantly outweigh the negativity of it being their project (particularly due to the obsession with D&D personally), so it no longer really has much potential.

David and Dan finally speak, reveal all sorts of things that I honestly expected them to never be honest about at a small panel.

These quotes are extremely telling:
 "David is describing the pre-meeting with GRRM who was questioning their bona fides and “we didn’t really have any.” We had never done TV and we didn’t have any. We don’t know why he trusted us with his life’s work.”

"The moderator asked why they chose to write all the episodes by themselves: “Because we didn’t know better.”"

"Dan wanted to remove as many fantasy elements as possible bc “we didn’t just want to appeal to that type of fan.” They wanted to expand the fan base to people beyond the fantasy fan base to “mothers, NFL players”..." !!!

"Did you really sit down and try to boil the elements of the books down? Did you really try to understand it’s major elements.

- No. We didn’t. The scope was too big. It was about the scenes we were trying to depict and the show was about power."

But the entire thread is worth a read.
While based on real questions and answers, unsurprisingly I found that several of those descriptions / paraphrased answers (from a Twitter account with a pretty extensive posting history of complaining about D&D's writing deficiencies, even though I've seen these Tweets attributed as direct quotes in some places) looked much worse than the answers actually came across. The essence of what people take away from it likely won't change, but seeing that Twitter thread linked here when I've seen its quotes used as the basis for several articles, I felt it worth a mention that the actual answers may come across quite differently and the actual panel audio was now released: https://soundcloud.com/aboynamedart/got-panel-at-austin-film-festival

In general I'm extremely skeptical of the idea that Game Of Thrones should have been given to a "more experienced, established TV writer" and that would have helped it become a stronger adaptation of GRRM's work. I'm also doubtful that if Benioff & Weiss had stepped down after Season 4 or Season 6 or whenever then the show would have been handed to someone that "cares" or "understands" more about the world and story of ASOIAF and would have done more justice to GRRM's imagined end to the saga. It seems more likely to me that strong creators (in terms of their ability to make the show they want) stepping back from a project that popular at the height of its powers would have led to decision making driven even more by business considerations than artistic ones, and that the people capable of stepping in and managing the huge project that was Game Of Thrones wouldn't necessarily be those with the deepest understanding and passion for GRRM's works... But I guess people have a lot more faith in the biz than me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:57:55 AM by RuRoRul »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #7813 on: October 29, 2019, 12:47:59 PM »
I definitely never expected them to admit as much as they did, with all the hedging they did in the full answers, the humor, etc. I think it would have been very responsible of them to even just have a writers' room, before stepping down and all of that. It's clear that the biz side of the business wasn't very sharp in giving this to them anyway, from GRRM signing off on the whole thing no questions asked because he liked them, to HBO babysitting them along the way like they did with their other creators - who did have writers' rooms, did listen to feedback, did take as much time as was necessary to wrap up the story.

Even from the limited amount of collaborations they did, Bryan Cogman, for example, seems very capable of doing character-driven dialogues and other things they half-assed especially in the later seasons - so it is a reasonable assumption that other talents would have appeared if they had been hiring. They might not have needed an experienced TV writer and someone who is a major fan to make something better, just a team of people who have different strengths, just like them, but are not burned out.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7814 on: October 29, 2019, 01:30:25 PM »
It's clear that the biz side of the business wasn't very sharp in giving this to them anyway, from GRRM signing off on the whole thing no questions asked because he liked them

Apparently he agreed because they figured out Jon Snow's parentage. Which the general consensus seems to be is one of the (relatively) easiest mysteries of the books. As I said in the past - I didn't read the books but I read a lot about the books, and while it's not completely spelled out, it was not such a deep intricate mystery to unravel.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7815 on: October 29, 2019, 01:37:08 PM »
It's clear that the biz side of the business wasn't very sharp in giving this to them anyway, from GRRM signing off on the whole thing no questions asked because he liked them

Apparently he agreed because they figured out Jon Snow's parentage. Which the general consensus seems to be is one of the (relatively) easiest mysteries of the books. As I said in the past - I didn't read the books but I read a lot about the books, and while it's not completely spelled out, it was not such a deep intricate mystery to unravel.

Yea, that might have been the biggest non shock reveal of the show and it was easily the biggest and most popular theory out there when I started getting into the books.  I remember after reading the books, I didn't totally pick up on the R+L=J tidbits, but once I hit the online forums to start reading what others had written about the books, it became clear as day.  The evidence was overwhelming and the only reason to not believe that theory was it was "too obvious". 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7816 on: October 29, 2019, 04:21:15 PM »
One only needs to see Gemini Man to see that Disney probably dodged a bullet by not having Benioff write an entire trilogy.

Also, my opinion on season 8 unfortunately has not changed a bit, I hate most of it.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7817 on: October 29, 2019, 06:27:52 PM »
And now news is coming in that the Long Night prequel starring Naomi Watts has been put on hold.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7818 on: October 29, 2019, 07:04:57 PM »
Season 8 killed the franchise in an unprecedented magnitude, only occurrence I can think of that resembles that is what Batman & Robin did to the original Batman franchise heh
Pity about the Long Night show, I was anticipating that. But the double dipshits losing the Star Wars thing balances it out, feels like karma.
All you fuckers had to do is put more thought into these final two years, you already knew where you were landing but still botched the landing itself cause you were in such a hurry to be done with it, you had all the resources a film maker can dream of. You could have even passed on to someone else to finish it if you no longer had the passion for it. Oh well. /ramble
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7819 on: October 29, 2019, 07:16:49 PM »
Official page just announced a Targaryen spin off, the good news is that Migul Sapochnik is attached as showrunner.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7820 on: October 29, 2019, 07:31:46 PM »
That's great that Sapochnik will be in the mix. He had some great ideas for the battle of the long night which would've made it a lot more interesting at the outset. D&D scrapped those ideas and I keep going back to that thought of how great it would've set up that episode.

He's definitely great director and I'm hoping his presence makes for compelling story telling. With the series being set 300 years before current GoT I hope it is different enough.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7821 on: October 30, 2019, 02:14:53 AM »
And now news is coming in that the Long Night prequel starring Naomi Watts has been put on hold.

That's a pity, but The Long Night killed all the interest for the White Walkers. I wouldn't watch a prequel about the origin of Thanos if all it took to bring him down was Antman or Hawkeye jumping out of nowhere to sneakily kill him.

Season 8 killed the franchise in an unprecedented magnitude, only occurrence I can think of that resembles that is what Batman & Robin did to the original Batman franchise heh

Indeed. Game of Thrones will become the Hindenburg of TV series - no one will remember what a technological wonder it was, but just how it crashed and burned upon landing.

All you fuckers had to do is put more thought into these final two years, you already knew where you were landing but still botched the landing itself cause you were in such a hurry to be done with it, you had all the resources a film maker can dream of. You could have even passed on to someone else to finish it if you no longer had the passion for it. Oh well. /ramble

Yeah, the thing that irritates the most is that HBO was in "Shut up and take my money" mode, and would have done anything they asked of them, but instead they wanted to be done with it. They changed the outline of the story, and then when all they had to do was come up with an ending coherent with what they've done so far, they dove back to the original plot points that GRRM gave them. If you're flying the plane to your decided destination and then you suddenly decide you have to land in the original intended airport, it's no wonder that you f'kin crash the plane to the ground.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7822 on: October 30, 2019, 05:30:32 AM »
YO!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7823 on: October 30, 2019, 07:29:03 AM »
Game of Thrones will become the Hindenburg of TV series - no one will remember what a technological wonder it was, but just how it crashed and burned upon landing.

No one?  Speak for yourself, please. :P

I do not think it crashed and burned upon landing, and plenty of others do not as well, although I get that the very vocal dissenters have made it seem like everyone hated the last season, but it's not reality.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7824 on: October 30, 2019, 07:33:04 AM »
'twas a bit of an hyperbole, c'mon  :D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7825 on: October 30, 2019, 07:38:33 AM »
All right, FINALLY a poster and an official name, all aboard the hype train!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online faizoff

« Reply #7826 on: October 30, 2019, 07:41:38 AM »
I think while there is definitely some general discontent for the final season, the backlash isn't so severe. When I went to the GoT concert experience, it was in an arena of 15,000 people and was almost all full. There were big loud cheers for Arya and Sansa and Jon during key moments in season 8 that were displayed on the screen.

While it didn't have a climactic ending one would've hoped for, I think most people are somewhere in the middle about it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7827 on: October 30, 2019, 08:21:23 AM »
Game of Thrones will become the Hindenburg of TV series - no one will remember what a technological wonder it was, but just how it crashed and burned upon landing.

No one?  Speak for yourself, please. :P

I do not think it crashed and burned upon landing, and plenty of others do not as well, although I get that the very vocal dissenters have made it seem like everyone hated the last season, but it's not reality.

Hell, I hate it and I haven't even watched season SEVEN yet!   :)

FYI, watched the Season 6 finale last night.   Cersei is a c***.   HAHAHA.   The "whisper" scene was rather interesting, though it doesn't make anything "obvious" for me (though I get it enough to understand why people are saying that).   

(By the way, during Season 1 through, say, 5, did we have an idea who Jon Stark's mom is?  We "know" he's Ned's bastard, but what was the story that was told?   He - obviously - wasn't Catelyn's, but what was the understanding BEFORE Bran's flashbacks to the tower and Lyanna came up in Season 6?)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7828 on: October 30, 2019, 08:22:25 AM »
Official page just announced a Targaryen spin off, the good news is that Migul Sapochnik is attached as showrunner.

Also GRRM is involved.  This gives some hope of a good follow up show.  Also apparently HBO cut one of their other prequel ideas. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7829 on: October 30, 2019, 08:24:38 AM »
@Stads 

Has any of the show been spoiled for you, or are you going into the final seasons pretty blind?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7830 on: October 30, 2019, 08:27:26 AM »
Smart move by HBO. There is source material to draw from.....it's a 'known' name and has lore and history.......and dragons, fun to look at and the scenes with Drogon and Co. were some of the coolest visuals. It's a no brainer.

Immediate (10) episode order also. So, this sounds like we will be seeing this fairly 'soon'.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7831 on: October 30, 2019, 08:30:13 AM »
@Stads 

Has any of the show been spoiled for you, or are you going into the final seasons pretty blind?

For the most part, blind.   I have to say, for all the criticism of Season 8, I can tell you very little about what ACTUALLY happens.  I don't, for example, know ANYONE that sits on the Iron Throne other than Cersei, who assumed the position in the Season 6 finale.  The only thing I know is that certain characters MAKE it to Season 8 (which means the one big spoiler for me was Jon Snow's "death" in Season 5). 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7832 on: October 30, 2019, 08:30:45 AM »
(By the way, during Season 1 through, say, 5, did we have an idea who Jon Stark's mom is?  We "know" he's Ned's bastard, but what was the story that was told?   He - obviously - wasn't Catelyn's, but what was the understanding BEFORE Bran's flashbacks to the tower and Lyanna came up in Season 6?)

This wasn't changed for the TV show, so it was in the books as well and all you had to do was going online to find the theory discussed. So everyone who bothered to write on Google "Jon's true parents" would have long known what was the leading theory for ages.

It was so discussed that the actual surprise would have been Jon NOT being the son of who eventually turned out to be the parents.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7833 on: October 30, 2019, 08:39:25 AM »

This wasn't changed for the TV show, so it was in the books as well and all you had to do was going online to find the theory discussed. So everyone who bothered to write on Google "Jon's true parents" would have long known what was the leading theory for ages.

It was so discussed that the actual surprise would have been Jon NOT being the son of who eventually turned out to be the parents.

yeah....that was the least shocking reveal ever

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7834 on: October 30, 2019, 09:05:39 AM »

Also GRRM is involved.  This gives some hope of a good follow up show.  Also apparently HBO cut one of their other prequel ideas.

Sapochnik directed some of the very best episodes of the series in my opinion so I am doubly excited for this show seeing him as one of the showrunners.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7835 on: October 30, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »

Sapochnik directed some of the very best episodes of the series in my opinion so I am doubly excited for this show seeing him as one of the showrunners.

I think he had some more grand ideas for the big S8 battle at Winterfell but was shot down by D & D. One of which....Stads don't read......was that Jaime, Brienne, Tormund, Greyworm, and Daavos would have died in that battle. Which they realistically should have.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7836 on: October 30, 2019, 09:28:24 AM »
I remember that he also thought that Jorah should have died immediately in the first blind charge of the Dothraki, which one again he should have.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7837 on: October 30, 2019, 09:29:25 AM »
All of those things (and more) should have happened. That episode just... ugh.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7838 on: October 30, 2019, 09:32:09 AM »
I remember that he also thought that Jorah should have died immediately in the first blind charge of the Dothraki, which one again he should have.

Yeah....that would have made the most sense.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7839 on: October 30, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »
All of those things (and more) should have happened. That episode just... ugh.

IMO It's a glaring example of how those two had little idea as to how to handle the show after the source material dried up

I 'liked' the episode....think it was pretty cool....yet....there was a completely different way to handle it that could have made it epic on a level of epicness that would have been renowned for years. They missed a chance there.