Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 633074 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #7770 on: August 17, 2019, 12:39:53 PM »
I atleast was only talking about the show not the upcoming book, haven't read any of the books for that matter.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7771 on: August 17, 2019, 01:19:42 PM »
Why would the show damper your anticipation for The Winds of Winter? the plot of the books is already vastly different from that of the show, and the endings of the show will make sense with 7000+ pages of explanation for the plot and the characters' choices. If at all, you should be MORE excited for the books if the show ending wasn't up to par!

Logically, you're a 100% right. It's just the overall turnoff to that universe this season has caused me.
I'm sure that will change eventually though.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7772 on: August 17, 2019, 04:10:54 PM »
Why would the show damper your anticipation for The Winds of Winter? the plot of the books is already vastly different from that of the show, and the endings of the show will make sense with 7000+ pages of explanation for the plot and the characters' choices. If at all, you should be MORE excited for the books if the show ending wasn't up to par!

The plot as a whole might be different but GRRM himself said the biggest moments of the show's ending is pretty much what the ending of the books is going to be, so I could understand why some people would have their hype deflated. The next two books are essentially spoiled for a lot of them now, since they know what's going to happen, it's just going to take 7000+ pages to get there, as opposed to having no idea what was going to happen up until now. And with the way the show executed it that just kind of butchers the excitement more.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7773 on: August 17, 2019, 04:48:52 PM »
Oh well, I can see your point. Probably, in a scenario where Lord of the Rings is unfinished and after The Two Towers people got only a mess of a third movie, many would go "...meh, the hell was that thing about Gollum slipping accidentally into the volcano, what's the point of reading Return of the King when it comes out". But still RotK (thid part of the Lord of the Rings book I mean) is awesome!

I wonder why they wanted to end at all costs like GRRM told them, however. Probably a mix of wanting to be true to the story, and having a defense - "Hey, don't blame us, that's the actual ending he told us!". Still, after all the inevitable and often understandable choices to alter, streamline and simplify the gigantic plot, why not doing your own thing? see the stories you have left and follow them through to their logical conclusions, some guys win, some guys lose, it was almost impossible to screw up the ending.... if you're flying a plane to a destination, and then you change the route, but at the last minute you decide you want to steer the plane to the original airport it was intended to fly, no wonder you crash it into the mountains rather than successfully landing it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #7774 on: September 05, 2019, 05:48:55 AM »
The next two books are essentially spoiled for a lot of them now, since they know what's going to happen, it's just going to take 7000+ pages to get there, as opposed to having no idea what was going to happen up until now. And with the way the show executed it that just kind of butchers the excitement more.
I used to think like this, but honestly, now I'm even more excited.

1. Starting with the major beats: Dany attacks KL, Jon kills Dany, Bran becomes king. Drogon still isn't the size he is in the show, so if he doesn't grow drastically, it's likely that the major damage to KL will come from them setting off the wildfire caches that are still all over the city - the ones Tyrion knows about. Which changes the dynamics somewhat, and makes all three of their stories much more interesting. We still don't know how the heck Bran becomes King, and where he will be seated. Maybe there is a major council, or maybe everyone bows to the Greenseer King who defeated The Others wherever he goes...

2. Jaime and Cersei die in embrace - fine, whatever. Probably not from a wall falling down on them. Maybe not in King's Landing at all.

3. The politics - the show made it seem like the rest of Westeros is a bunch of pawns waiting to be moved around in seasons 7 and 8. But this in not the case. The Tyrells, the Dornish, the Golden Company faction with [book-only character], and the Ironborn (with one magic-wielding Ironborn - idk if he was in the show at all, his name is Euron  :P) are all moving and plotting to fuck everyone's shit up, which will almost certainly drastically change the situation in King's Landing by the time Dany comes knocking.

4. The entire northern ice magic plot. We haven't seen how the Wall falls in the books. We seriously haven't seen how The Others are actually defeated. The Long Night will not be an inconveniently dark December afternoon.

5. Character details, logistics details. This is where everything gets even more fuzzy.

Jon doesn't get to just wake up and be normal, with a few cute scars on his torso. His story almost definitely ends somewhere in the North, like the show said, and the other Stark endings seem logical, more or less. The show ends in a super progressive way, with none of the Stark kids gaining permanent love matches - but this doesn't fly in Westeros, and especially not with characters who have already been shown to dream about marriage and family. Expect love matches for Sansa and Jon at the very least. I wanna see Jon with Val in the end :heart and speaking of marriage, the question of political marriage between Jon and Dany will be on the table for a lot longer than it was in the show, unless she matches up with someone else before he becomes Lord Stark of Winterfell.

Tyrion literally isn't the same guy already in book 5, so his character path to redemption as hand of the King is still unclear.

How do Dany's armies and dragons get out of Westeros after her death? Idk, sure isn't by offering a crappy deal to GW and Drogon reaching an understanding of things and getting the fuck out on his own.

What is the Night Watch watching in the end?

6. The other magical details. So many questions about the magical nature of the seasons, fire magic, weirwood magic, ancient legends, they will likely not be answered completely in the books, but they will certainly receive more consideration. I look at the ancient prophecies and legends through the lens of mythical astronomy, I think that's likely the right way of looking at Azor Ahai and everything else, but for everyone who wants to debate about who really was Azor Ahai reborn and how these different things work, George is likely going to be inserting some clever nuggets all throughout the next two books. The red priests aren't going to fade away because "their mission is done" like they did in the show.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7775 on: September 23, 2019, 08:16:22 AM »
So, Emmy time: Game of Thrones won as a whole for best drama series (surely a "carrer achievement" kind of award, like when Return of the King won Oscars ideally for all the trilogy), and Peter Dinklage won as best supporting actor.

No victory for the script for the Iron Throne however. Well (not) deserved.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7776 on: September 23, 2019, 08:27:13 AM »
So, Emmy time: Game of Thrones won as a whole for best drama series (surely a "carrer achievement" kind of award, like when Return of the King won Oscars ideally for all the trilogy), and Peter Dinklage won as best supporting actor.

No victory for the script for the Iron Throne however. Well (not) deserved.

FYI - Game of Thrones won the Best Drama award 3 times previously (for Seasons 5 [2015], 6 [2016], and 7 [2018]).  But yes, I agree that the intent was more of an honor to the full series reaching its ending and the scope of it's ending.

It's one of only a few series ever that has been nominated for the Best Drama award for every single season that it aired.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7777 on: September 23, 2019, 08:28:30 AM »
With time now to have reflected a bit on this final season, while I wasn't on the bash train of it and enjoyed it.....and don't disagree in concept of how things shook out.....the compressed episodes really did hamper this story.

They needed to detail and portray Dany's evolution to 'evil' Dany over more time/episodes. While we all 'knew' why she ended up where she did......when compared to the rest of the series she wasn't allowed to get there in the same manner other characters were allowed to get to their destinations. The compressed episodes rendered the whole Jon being the true heir and a Targaryn pointless as it had little effect on the outcome because we literally got one scene of Dany being mad and threatened about that. Should have been much more of a big deal than it came across as.

Again, I like the show.....didn't mind the choices they made.....just am super ticked at the producers and even the actors/actresses for essentially getting bored with the show and taking the quick way out in lieu of finishing strong and putting the time in that the series needed to do it justice.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7778 on: September 23, 2019, 11:15:24 AM »
Again, I like the show.....didn't mind the choices they made.....just am super ticked at the producers and even the actors/actresses for essentially getting bored with the show and taking the quick way out in lieu of finishing strong and putting the time in that the series needed to do it justice.

I would take the actors/actresses out of the equation.  They work with what they are given - Nicolaj Coster Waldau explained this at one comic con this summer, softly childing the fans that the actors have a group chat going and the harsh criticism from fans was actually affecting these actors that put their blood, sweat and tears into these characters for us. 

I never jumped onto the hate train this year and just enjoyed the ride that the show took me on each week.  I have my opinions and arguing with other fans isn't going to change them, nor am I really going to change others'.  But for fans to blame the actors for whatever shortcomings they perceive the show to have is pretty low. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7779 on: September 23, 2019, 11:22:16 AM »
To be fair, 99% of the criticism I've seen was directed at the writing, I can't remember reading that this actor or that actress played bad a part or ruined a scene.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7780 on: September 23, 2019, 11:25:10 AM »
To be fair, 99% of the criticism I've seen was directed at the writing, I can't remember reading that this actor or that actress played bad a part or ruined a scene.

Euron Greyjoy and his actor got a lot of crap in season 8, especially episode 5. Hard to think of another actor who got so much crap though. I guess maybe Kit because all he said was "I dun wannit" and "She. Is. Mah. Queen."
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7781 on: September 23, 2019, 12:19:40 PM »

I would take the actors/actresses out of the equation.  They work with what they are given - Nicolaj Coster Waldau explained this at one comic con this summer, softly childing the fans that the actors have a group chat going and the harsh criticism from fans was actually affecting these actors that put their blood, sweat and tears into these characters for us. 

I never jumped onto the hate train this year and just enjoyed the ride that the show took me on each week.  I have my opinions and arguing with other fans isn't going to change them, nor am I really going to change others'.  But for fans to blame the actors for whatever shortcomings they perceive the show to have is pretty low.

I'm not talking about the performances. The performances were on point as usual. BUT...there were a few articles out there that spoke to the effect of a few of them were essentially 'over' the show and wanted to move on to other projects. That the show limited them and they didn't want to invest the time it took to shoot full seasons. That was a contributing factor to the two shorter seasons.

I understand that completely, but they also had to know that was going to affect the storytelling and their characters. Especially Emile Clarke. She's one of the ones who reportedly was wanting to move on to other things yet she was also upset at how quickly Dany 'changed' and that they didn't get a chance to really let her evolve into evil Dany. Can't have it both ways.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7782 on: September 23, 2019, 02:15:33 PM »
Yeah, but regardless of how they felt about that, they don't produce, write, or direct the show. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7783 on: September 23, 2019, 08:22:17 PM »
On a slightly different GoT note, I went to the Game of Thrones Live concert experience last night and I'm so glad I went. If you're a fan of the music of the show, the concert is a fantastic opportunity to listen to the orchestra play it live. It's an almost 2 1/2 hour concert and honestly, I had goosebumps the entire time.

The first half of the show is centered around the first six seasons with footage being shown from a character perspective and the music scored to that footage with musical pieces that were scored for that character or used their motifs. I'm really glad they did it this way rather than just play the tracks live from the soundtrack, it kept things super interesting. The orchestra played great, they had a lead violinist, cello player and a vocalist who were all just phenomenal. The percussionists were amazing as well.

They played a few tracks straight through and probably the highlight of the night was hearing the tracks Light of the Seven and the Night King. The arrangement on Night King was changed a little bit and it killed with the added choir parts. There's a track on the soundtrack that wasn't used in the show called Not Today and it's essentially a choir version of the Night King.

They ended up with my favorite two tracks of Season 8, The Last of the Starks and Song of Ice and Fire. They did mess up a bit on the last song with the key change but still overall was an all out amazing show. I really wish I had seen the previous two concerts.

Each piece was intense as they added a lot of practical effects with pyro, snow, smoke and synchronized lights. It really added to the presentation.

I initially was a little disappointed to learn that Ramin Djawadi himself wasn't there to conduct the orchestra, his substitute was quite good too. Turns out Ramin is only playing a few dates this tour.

I also hope they are able to bring some of the episodes to a theater sometime. I know the last season was divisive but they would sound and look amazing on the big screen.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7784 on: September 24, 2019, 01:07:16 AM »
Light of the Seven and The Night King alone should be worth the price of admission  :metal

Did they have as encore a rock version of The Bear and the Maiden Fair?  :biggrin:

Online faizoff

« Reply #7785 on: September 24, 2019, 07:56:26 AM »
Now that would be some encore  ;)
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline 1upmushroom

« Reply #7786 on: September 24, 2019, 08:53:27 PM »
I'd love to hear a prog version of Jenny of Oldstones, for that matter.

Online faizoff

« Reply #7787 on: September 25, 2019, 06:45:35 AM »
They played Jenny of Oldstones with lyrics and it was great, that vocalist was amazing, she had awesome pipes.

If I remember correctly think these tracks were played in full

Goodbye Brother
Rains of Castamere
Jenny of Oldstones
Needle
Home
Truth
Light of The Seven
The Night King
The Last of the Starks
A song of Ice and Fire

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7788 on: September 30, 2019, 07:27:55 AM »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7789 on: October 28, 2019, 06:07:28 AM »
David and Dan finally speak, reveal all sorts of things that I honestly expected them to never be honest about at a small panel.

These quotes are extremely telling:
 "David is describing the pre-meeting with GRRM who was questioning their bona fides and “we didn’t really have any.” We had never done TV and we didn’t have any. We don’t know why he trusted us with his life’s work.”

"The moderator asked why they chose to write all the episodes by themselves: “Because we didn’t know better.”"

"Dan wanted to remove as many fantasy elements as possible bc “we didn’t just want to appeal to that type of fan.” They wanted to expand the fan base to people beyond the fantasy fan base to “mothers, NFL players”..." !!!

"Did you really sit down and try to boil the elements of the books down? Did you really try to understand it’s major elements.

- No. We didn’t. The scope was too big. It was about the scenes we were trying to depict and the show was about power."

But the entire thread is worth a read.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7790 on: October 28, 2019, 07:32:41 AM »
I wish I could say I'm surprised but honestly for as great as the show started and the level it maintained for 4-5 seasons, the ending definitely felt like it was made by someone who had no idea what they were doing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7791 on: October 28, 2019, 07:48:22 AM »
Count me in the "not surprised" too. After the Red Wedding, their mission since day 1 and the reason they wanted to do the series in the first place, they lost the plot and probably the interest. The lack of source material did not help. They should have stayed on an executive producers or something and let the series be written by Cogman or someone else.

After some months, I'm really over it, I have to say. I lost interest in looking back to it all. Sure I'll watch the spinoff and everything Westeros related, but the passion is no longer there. At first I was "angry", now I'm just meh. So Game of Thrones ended bad... whatever. I'm totally over it and it's a pity, the potential for a smash hit and a great home run was there.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7792 on: October 28, 2019, 07:59:11 AM »
Count me in the "not surprised" too. After the Red Wedding, their mission since day 1 and the reason they wanted to do the series in the first place, they lost the plot and probably the interest. The lack of source material did not help. They should have stayed on an executive producers or something and let the series be written by Cogman or someone else.

After some months, I'm really over it, I have to say. I lost interest in looking back to it all. Sure I'll watch the spinoff and everything Westeros related, but the passion is no longer there. At first I was "angry", now I'm just meh. So Game of Thrones ended bad... whatever. I'm totally over it and it's a pity, the potential for a smash hit and a great home run was there.

I'm pretty much in the same boat! If the earlier seasons of GoT was like LotR for me, the last 2 or 3 seasons were more like the Hobbit movies. It did sour the overall experience a bit but the earlier seasons were still great and the universe as a whole has loads of potential.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7793 on: October 28, 2019, 07:59:50 AM »
Really, what kills me is that they keep stressing that they "gave up ten years of their life to do this". No, you got paid millions to do a ten-year internship in how to do your dream job at the highest possible level. A lot of people would give anything for that opportunity, and these two think they deserved to run a show of this magnitude on their own just because they were successful at pitching it at the right time. Hearing them describe how they got babysitted almost every step of the way is the shocking part, not the part where they admit they had no idea what they were doing. That part was plainly obvious.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7794 on: October 28, 2019, 08:01:26 AM »
All that dialog did was make me never want to watch GOT again.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7795 on: October 28, 2019, 08:02:32 AM »
I'm still not sure if I'm in GoT fatigue mode or if season 8 really did just kill my interest in the whole show or the idea of watching the series yet again, but I do know I definitely have a loathing for those two guys now.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7796 on: October 28, 2019, 08:15:00 AM »
I do know I definitely have a loathing for those two guys now.
Tell me about it. My thoughts go out to Star Wars fans who might have to watch these two butcher a trilogy of movies. History teaches us they are likely to take the most loved storyline/property in the extended universe and then grow bored halfway through. Maybe they will wanna take the sci-fi out of it to ~make mothers watch it~ (nobody tell them giving birth to a child doesn't turn the part of your brain that likes high fantasy/sci-fi off).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7797 on: October 28, 2019, 08:22:23 AM »
I do know I definitely have a loathing for those two guys now.
Tell me about it. My thoughts go out to Star Wars fans who might have to watch these two butcher a trilogy of movies. History teaches us they are likely to take the most loved storyline/property in the extended universe and then grow bored halfway through. Maybe they will wanna take the sci-fi out of it to ~make mothers watch it~ (nobody tell them giving birth to a child doesn't turn the part of your brain that likes high fantasy/sci-fi off).

Would not be surprised if their Star Wars trilogy ends up cancelled like the Rian Johnson one. All it took in his case was 1 Star Wars movie that got some mixed reception and the plans for him to helm a trilogy were swept under the rug. In this case I feel they hired these guys before the massive backlash to the GoT ending and thought they got a sweet deal but after the last season's reception and after comments like this you really wonder if Disney are gonna stick to the plan. I mean they're being quite open about not knowing what they were doing, and you want to hand them the keys to the kingdom of your billion dollar franchise?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7798 on: October 28, 2019, 08:24:58 AM »
I wish I could say I'm surprised but honestly for as great as the show started and the level it maintained for 4-5 seasons, the ending definitely felt like it was made by someone who had no idea what they were doing.

Yep. We’ve all said it and noticed it. Once the source material dried up they had no clue as to how to write that show.....write the characters....etc etc.

They believed the accolades they were getting for that show was their own doing and believed ‘they’ were the reason for its success. A fatal flaw because their egos and greed then drove that show not true insight or any real creativity.

Reading that is upsetting and I can’t believe the HBO execs fell for this.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7799 on: October 28, 2019, 09:17:02 AM »
So alternate viewpoint time.

I'm in the process now. My daughter watched it, and told me I had to dig into this. Before she left for school, we watched the first five seasons together, each episode.  It slowed down when she left, but I'm back in, and I literally watched "The Battle of the Bastards" last night.   As I see it so far:

The first six seasons are kind of like the Harry Potter books.  The first one was light, and sparse, but hooked you in, and as you get through it, it gains in scope, depth, and intensity.   For me, the best Potter book was number five, "The Order Of The Phoenix".  The first four were setup, episodic, but the fifth was where the over-arching story really dug in.

For me, GoT has been set-up, at least through the first four seasons.   Season five, and now especially season six, is where it's really getting epic for me.   Up until season six, Sansa was an annoying if not attractive lightweight, that seemed to be necessary to move the plot forward, but wasn't a key player like Cersei, Danrys or Jon.  Watching her go toe-to-toe with Jon Snow has completely changed my view of her.   Watching Tyrion move from comic imp (in the classic sense of the word) drinking his way through life, to a more wisened, applied intellect has been fascinating. 

I keep hearing the disappointment in Season 8, and from where I'm at, I can't speak to it, other than, where I am now we're being set up for certain outcomes and I can imagine if it doesn't play out like we thought...

As to those two, Weiss and Benioff, I watch the "inside the episodes" at the end of the show, and I now refer to them as "the two douchebags".   Benioff is okay, but Weiss is a dork.  I have to go back and check, but I just noticed that in the "ItE" pieces for season six, they flashed on what seemed to be new tats for Weiss (both arms, both look like lame frat boy ink) and what I think is a new earring.  Not that this matters in the grand scheme of things, but I think this goes to Mora's point about "being paid to intern".  I think they literally stepped in shit and got lucky with great material.  Weiss more than Benioff, but the resumes seem to be more in the projects that DIDN'T get made, DIDN'T get published, than the other way around.

(By the way, Weiss, went to college here in Connecticut, at Wesleyan, alma mater of Lin-Manuel Miranda and Bill Belichick, among others.)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7800 on: October 28, 2019, 09:24:12 AM »
Just my opinion - while I think season 5 is slow and has plenty of problems compared to season 4, season 6 is a high water mark for the show. That season kicks ass.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7801 on: October 28, 2019, 10:02:11 AM »
Indeed, it was not perfect, but boy.... the two final episodes alone were some of the most amazing and breathtaking things ever seen on TV.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7802 on: October 28, 2019, 02:52:07 PM »

I'm in the process now. My daughter watched it, and told me I had to dig into this. Before she left for school, we watched the first five seasons together, each episode.  It slowed down when she left, but I'm back in, and I literally watched "The Battle of the Bastards" last night.   As I see it so far:

The first six seasons are kind of like the Harry Potter books.  The first one was light, and sparse, but hooked you in, and as you get through it, it gains in scope, depth, and intensity.   For me, the best Potter book was number five, "The Order Of The Phoenix".  The first four were setup, episodic, but the fifth was where the over-arching story really dug in.

For me, GoT has been set-up, at least through the first four seasons.   Season five, and now especially season six, is where it's really getting epic for me.   Up until season six, Sansa was an annoying if not attractive lightweight, that seemed to be necessary to move the plot forward, but wasn't a key player like Cersei, Danrys or Jon.  Watching her go toe-to-toe with Jon Snow has completely changed my view of her.   Watching Tyrion move from comic imp (in the classic sense of the word) drinking his way through life, to a more wisened, applied intellect has been fascinating. 

I keep hearing the disappointment in Season 8, and from where I'm at, I can't speak to it, other than, where I am now we're being set up for certain outcomes and I can imagine if it doesn't play out like we thought...

As to those two, Weiss and Benioff, I watch the "inside the episodes" at the end of the show, and I now refer to them as "the two douchebags".   Benioff is okay, but Weiss is a dork.  I have to go back and check, but I just noticed that in the "ItE" pieces for season six, they flashed on what seemed to be new tats for Weiss (both arms, both look like lame frat boy ink) and what I think is a new earring.  Not that this matters in the grand scheme of things, but I think this goes to Mora's point about "being paid to intern".  I think they literally stepped in shit and got lucky with great material.  Weiss more than Benioff, but the resumes seem to be more in the projects that DIDN'T get made, DIDN'T get published, than the other way around.

(By the way, Weiss, went to college here in Connecticut, at Wesleyan, alma mater of Lin-Manuel Miranda and Bill Belichick, among others.)

I'll be curious to hear your perspective of the conclusion since you didn't have to wait years and years for it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7803 on: October 28, 2019, 05:00:09 PM »
I keep hearing the disappointment in Season 8, and from where I'm at, I can't speak to it, other than, where I am now we're being set up for certain outcomes and I can imagine if it doesn't play out like we thought...)
Report back when you've seen the whole thing! I am very interested in seeing what you'll think. You'll definitely see some stunning cinematography, hear some great music, get to see the actors giving their best (especially Emilia Clarke in s8).

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7804 on: October 28, 2019, 08:28:25 PM »

Somehow I never knew that Weiss was a Wesleyan alum (class of '09 here).
Photobucket sucks.