Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 633721 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #7490 on: May 20, 2019, 06:33:06 AM »
It was a consistent problem in this season. Bronn's subplot and the golden company were both things that took up some screen time and in the end had no impact whatsoever.
This was a problem with the entire series. There were constantly characters and subplots introduced that didn't have any impact on the central plot.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #7491 on: May 20, 2019, 06:43:11 AM »
I thought it was a great ending. Great writing. I really don't understand why so many people are frustrated with Dany's arc. Her last conversation with Jon pretty much sums it up. She truly believed she was doing the right thing but in doing so would have become what she set out to destroy.

Bran will be keeping tabs on Drogon and I'm guessing warg into him as needed.

I already told my wife that we're going to re-watch the series early next year. Already can't wait!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7492 on: May 20, 2019, 06:43:31 AM »
Very underwhelming. It was OK in the fact that the Starks essentially ‘came out on top’.....even Jon being banished to the North wasn’t really a punishment to him. He’s with people he knows and loves. I’m fine with where it all ended but,

- Jon being a true Targaryn and that not even being mentioned was...umm....odd? Why even go through ALL of that about him to have it not even Play a role?

- Bran being king honestly doesn’t fit the show. Tyrion: “Will you do it?” Bran: “Why do you think I cam all this way?” ....”Be my hand”. Tyrion:”I don’t want to” Bran: “Well I don’t want to be King”. Huh? You just said literally 30 seconds ago that you came all that way to be King. Anyway....

Those two things bugged me the most. As has been mentioned....LOVED Brianee finishing Jaimie’s Knight entry, that was awesome. Liked the Fact Drogon is unaccounted for and that he toasted the Iron Throne.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7493 on: May 20, 2019, 06:45:09 AM »

Those two things bugged me the most. As has been mentioned....LOVED Brianee finishing Jaimie’s Knight entry, that was awesome. Liked the Fact Drogon is unaccounted for and that he toasted the Iron Throne.

My first thought when she closed the book was "NO! You didn't let the ink dry!"   :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7494 on: May 20, 2019, 07:02:07 AM »
Bran being king honestly doesn’t fit the show. Tyrion: “Will you do it?” Bran: “Why do you think I cam all this way?” ....”Be my hand”. Tyrion:”I don’t want to” Bran: “Well I don’t want to be King”. Huh? You just said literally 30 seconds ago that you came all that way to be King. Anyway....

So I took that whole sequence as Bran being the 3 eyed Raven already knew of the outcome regarding the throne.  That's why he made the trip.  He didn't necessarily want it, but he KNEW it was inevitable.

My first thought when she closed the book was "NO! You didn't let the ink dry!"   :lol
  I was screaming the same thing to my wife... :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7495 on: May 20, 2019, 07:02:20 AM »

Ha, I was concerned that she didn't blot and sand it, and said so to Mrs. P.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7496 on: May 20, 2019, 07:07:59 AM »
Bran being king honestly doesn’t fit the show. Tyrion: “Will you do it?” Bran: “Why do you think I cam all this way?” ....”Be my hand”. Tyrion:”I don’t want to” Bran: “Well I don’t want to be King”. Huh? You just said literally 30 seconds ago that you came all that way to be King. Anyway....

So I took that whole sequence as Bran being the 3 eyed Raven already knew of the outcome regarding the throne.  That's why he made the trip.  He didn't necessarily want it, but he KNEW it was inevitable.

Also, it dovetails nicely with Varys comment about maybe what the country needs is a reluctant King. Hey, he may not be the King they want, he's just the King they need.

*gets his coat*
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #7497 on: May 20, 2019, 07:25:02 AM »
Well I found myself pretty happy with it by the end, probably more so than I expected considering where we had reached in the season and what we had to get through in one episode.

There were some pretty saccharine moments towards the end, but to be honest that was probably required if we wanted to reach "bittersweet" after how grim and depressing the first half and previous episode were  :lol Maybe if we'd been at the end of a perfectly executed final season arc that I felt could stand absolutely alone as a flawless capstone to the series, I would have said we could do without Samwell plopping down "A Song Of Ice And Fire" on the table and a comedic scene of the small council made up of good main characters. But since I think we needed more than just the last climax of the final season's storyline to give a satisfying finale to the whole series, I was happy enough with the latter half of the episode.

The grim, ominous atmosphere after the destruction was good. I loved Tyrion removing and throwing away his Hand pin (when the first shot of him looking around the city showed the pin prominently it struck me that it'd be reminiscent of Ned Stark if he did that). Tyrion and Jon's conversation in captivity was great. And I think Daenerys' death scene was very well done. I liked that Drogon chose to let Jon past to see her, since it was obviously a bit questionable why she would ever be unguarded after what happened.

Although I was ready for him to die in this episode, I was glad in the end that Tyrion survived. He had a lot of moving scenes. Even though it became a quite funny scene, I thought the shot of him looking at the chair for the Hand of the King, which felt like he was looking at Tywin's spot, was a quite subtle moving moment for him.

The very ending for the Stark children (Queen in the North, Beyond the Wall with Ghost, West of Westeros) was nice. Jon's and Sansa's ends felt a bit better built up to and sort of inevitable conclusions, where as Arya's felt a bit more of an abrupt turn (although she mentioned wondering what was West of Westeros before, unless I'm mixing that up with something that was in the books only). I suppose it works well for her though, being something that's neither just going around killing people (which episode 4-5 showed was pretty hollow for her although she felt like it was all she could do, until the Hound steered her away) but also is true to "that's not me" and doesn't have her become a more traditional lady of Westeros. Either way, that Stark ship was just really cool, so I'm fine with it for that unexpected bit of design.

Looking back on the whole season, obviously there are areas where the storyline could have used a bit more room to breathe and some things that could have been executed a bit better, but I think if I were to make one major change or improvement (something that helps the story we got, not "go away and do a completely different season!") it would be to get more of Bran's ability and how he can use it. I actually liked the portrayal of Bran, but we just didn't get that much of him. Either there should have been lots more opportunity for him to use his knowledge to affect other people, or we should have got some sequences of him actually using his sight this season. That would have made both his role as Night King bait and the decision for him to end up as King in Westeros more convincing. As it stands, in theory choosing the emotionless being who is capable of knowing or viewing anything to be the ruler makes some sense as an idea, but it felt like a big leap for the Lords to decide that without there being a more convincing reason than Tyrion's speech.

Oh, and damnit, Grey Worm didn't die! The event that I said before the episode would give me some cheap satisfcation  :lol

But I do like Drogon's fate. I was in two minds before the episode, on one hand it felt as though Drogon would have to be killed for a good ending and I'd be pretty fine with him dying, but it would be pretty sad that it means the series ends with all the dragons (and the return of magic and wonder that they represent) being dead once again. Having him be left still out there but somewhat of a mystery was a good balance. It fits Drogon well to fly away like that, reminiscent of him being out in the wilds in season 5. Also reminds me of Balerion (Aegon the Conqueror's original dragon, the largest and oldest ever in Westeros), who at one point in Fire and Blood, after his riders were dead, flew off and disappeared for many years. It turned out he had disappeared back to Valyria, his original home. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where Drogon went with Daenerys - either that or out into the Dothraki sea where they were at the end of Season 5.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #7498 on: May 20, 2019, 07:37:56 AM »

That’s exactly what I thought. Bran’s storyline through the series has always perplexed me but that’s what I got out of that particular exchange. Almost like what he told Jon later that he was where he was supposed to be...IDK.

LOVED the finale though!!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7499 on: May 20, 2019, 07:42:20 AM »
I find it ironic that some of the folks pissing and moaning today at work about Bran are the same people yesterday pissing and moaning about how the show has lost it's surprise/shock factor over the past 2/3 seasons. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7500 on: May 20, 2019, 07:54:39 AM »
I find it ironic that some of the folks pissing and moaning today at work about Bran are the same people yesterday pissing and moaning about how the show has lost it's surprise/shock factor over the past 2/3 seasons.

Well, I see where they're coming from honestly. Shock for shock's sake isn't all that compelling. Pros and cons...

Pros: objectively level-headed and reasonable, will never lose temper, cannot sire children therefore has no bloodline to favor, has no great ambitions other than to do what is "right", can quite literally see through history and hopefully avoid repeating it, potentially lives an unnaturally long life like the last Three-Eyed Raven therefore potentially brings a long era of peace??

Cons: he has no political experience, he is barely of adult age if even that, has literally never been south of the North, has to now rule over an entire continent, most of which probably has no idea what a greenseer or three-eyed raven is since those are things exclusive to the North and the Weirwoods

It's an interesting choice, that's for sure.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7501 on: May 20, 2019, 07:54:55 AM »
I was thinking, I was kind of confused by the whole azor ahai thing when the Night King died, but maybe that prophecy wasn't really all about the "ice" in this story, but it kind of turned out, the "fire" actually did more killing and ending that would be the bigger challenge.  Maybe that was the prophecy after all. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7502 on: May 20, 2019, 08:00:08 AM »

Well, I see where they're coming from honestly. Shock for shock's sake isn't all that compelling. Pros and cons...

Pros: objectively level-headed and reasonable, will never lose temper, cannot sire children therefore has no bloodline to favor, has no great ambitions other than to do what is "right", can quite literally see through history and hopefully avoid repeating it, potentially lives an unnaturally long life like the last Three-Eyed Raven therefore potentially brings a long era of peace??

Cons: he has no political experience, he is barely of adult age if even that, has literally never been south of the North, has to now rule over an entire continent, most of which probably has no idea what a greenseer or three-eyed raven is since those are things exclusive to the North and the Weirwoods

It's a better resume than the vast majority of Targaryen kings.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7503 on: May 20, 2019, 08:05:38 AM »
Bran would be a great king, that totally makes sense to me.  The guys got super powers and is all knowing and has no emotion or wants.  How can that guy not rule?  Also, the last small council scene (one of the best of the episode, also loved the Brienne writing Jaime's story) when Bran just let's the most loyal and smartest guys in Westeros deal with the day to day while he deals with the bigger but non real atm issue that none of them can do which is track down the dragon also shows this guy is a good king.  Also, a true born Stark so he's got the blood, plus the ability to keep the North independent (although I thought that was a really odd choice to add this in since it just seemed awkward).

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7504 on: May 20, 2019, 08:05:58 AM »

I’m not ‘pissing and moaning’ about it. Bran being King is as good as any. Like has been mentioned....a bit more substance added to Brans storyline would have made it even more interesting and palpable. As with most all other storylines this season.....all reasonable and acceptable outcomes whose only issues are they simply ‘rushed’ and didn’t give them a proper marination.

We buy a half cow every year. It’s great. The meat is so good....no hormones or supplements just grass and corn fed cows. The butcher always asks us how we want our steaks cut. I usually get the T-Bones and Porter House steaks cut at 1” thick. It’s amazing. Now, we’re i to get them cut at say half inch or even 3/4” they’d taste just as good but ‘something’ would be missing. When you have a T Bone or Porter House you want to be impressed and experience it. This season  is feels like a half inch cut T-Bone to me when it should have and could have been an inch cut. It was good and all but could have been so much better.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7506 on: May 20, 2019, 08:11:48 AM »

I’m not ‘pissing and moaning’ about it. Bran being King is as good as any. Like has been mentioned....a bit more substance added to Brans storyline would have made it even more interesting and palpable. As with most all other storylines this season.....all reasonable and acceptable outcomes whose only issues are they simply ‘rushed’ and didn’t give them a proper marination.

We buy a half cow every year. It’s great. The meat is so good....no hormones or supplements just grass and corn fed cows. The butcher always asks us how we want our steaks cut. I usually get the T-Bones and Porter House steaks cut at 1” thick. It’s amazing. Now, we’re i to get them cut at say half inch or even 3/4” they’d taste just as good but ‘something’ would be missing. When you have a T Bone or Porter House you want to be impressed and experience it. This season  is feels like a half inch cut T-Bone to me when it should have and could have been an inch cut. It was good and all but could have been so much better.

*stamps spear on ground in big approval*
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7507 on: May 20, 2019, 08:17:59 AM »

I wasn't directing that at you Brotha.  Talking about my co-workers   ;D  As far as the Bran back story this season I kind of understand why they downplayed his storyline a bit.  If they built him up more I think they'd lose some of the shock/twist value.  More people would have seen the twist coming.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7508 on: May 20, 2019, 08:25:24 AM »

I wasn't directing that at you Brotha.  Talking about my co-workers   ;D  As far as the Bran back story this season I kind of understand why they downplayed his storyline a bit.  If they built him up more I think they'd lose some of the shock/twist value.  More people would have seen the twist coming.

Oh man....it’s all good. I didn’t take it as a slight....I’m just one this morning in the camp of scratching my head on Bran. It makes sense and is a good call but just wish if that’s where they were going Bran there’d have been a few more scenes of Bran this season to add some meat to his story.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7509 on: May 20, 2019, 08:28:05 AM »
So what about all this talk of "the lone wolf dies but the pack survives" and now all the Starks are alone?  That's kind of odd

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7510 on: May 20, 2019, 08:30:21 AM »
So what about all this talk of "the lone wolf dies but the pack survives" and now all the Starks are alone?  That's kind of odd
The pack of Starks survived the struggle.  It's over.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7511 on: May 20, 2019, 08:32:49 AM »
The pack of Starks survived the struggle.  It's over.

Oh, that explains it. Thanks for the obvious :\  Clearly they didn't die and the world doesn't end.  They weren't all united during the season either, just seems they were using a phrase to use it when necessary and it didn't have meaning.

Kind of surprised they all survived too and had happy endings essentially.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7512 on: May 20, 2019, 08:36:46 AM »

Kind of surprised they all survived too and had happy endings essentially.

I am glad it worked out the way.  The Starks took it on the chin for the bulk of the series; the remaining members of House Stark deserved a good ending.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7513 on: May 20, 2019, 08:42:17 AM »
The way the pendulum swung was essentially everything going right for the Lannisters in the beginning with the loss of Ned, Cat and Rob.. then it all ended well for the Starks with all but one Lannister gone.

I like gmillerdrakes take on it. It's the perfect analogy to the series and I just keep wanting for more even though I'm satisfied with how it ended.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7514 on: May 20, 2019, 08:54:43 AM »
Okay. I actually kind of really hated the finale, for the most part. I hate jumping on the hate train, but soooo much stuff pissed me off. I've been trying to put it into words all morning and really just don't think I care enough at this point. I find myself getting irrationally upset. But I'll point out a few things that really pissed me off.   

- Tyrion finding Jaime and Cersei. It looked like that entire mountain collapsed when we saw them die. Tyrion strolls in and they are buried under about 6" of rubble, and there are entire sections of the floor with no ceiling debris on them at all.   

- The cabinet at the end. What the hell? Bron gets to be master of coin? Why? Brienne? Beside the fact that she took an oath and is supposed to be in the north protecting Sansa, she's now on that council for some reason? Davos, who can barely read, is correcting grammar? Did Sam just completely bail on the citadel? It's like the writers said "let's take everyone's favorite characters and just put them together. It doesn't need to make sense".

- Arya getting a boat and just heading west? It's almost like the writers had absolutely no idea what to do and literally just had her sail off into the sunset. She could just ask Bran what's to the west after the map ends.   

- Banishing Jon to the night watch, a group of people in place to stop a threat that Jon already helped defeat?   

- Grey worm is a fucking prick now and I hope his ship sinks. He and all his people are goners once they arrive in Naath (butterflies)

I'm just going to stop now because I can just go on and on. I don't want to hate this and tear it apart, but I feel like I can't help myself.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:08:52 AM by Chino »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #7515 on: May 20, 2019, 08:55:57 AM »
I think it's unfair to call dissenters cry babies.
I wrote this somewhere else on the subject:
The fans dissenting on the current season are definitely NOT all bothered by the same things. I think they are divided into two different thoughts:
1. Fans who are not happy with the story, mostly they don't like the mad queen route. These are dumbasses IMHO, I have no problem with that story, it was my favorite fan theory before, but the double D's will successfully use these fans to deter objective criticism of the season. They will group them with legitimate dissenters and say "Oh everybody is just angry cause they didn't get the ending they wanted".
2. Fans who are not happy with how the story was told, the bad screen writing and horrible pacing which came as a byproduct of the double D's wanting to move on to other projects. These fans complaint is legitimate, there have been some terrible writing on seasons 7 & 8. HBO offered the double D's two full seasons to finish GoT, with that much time they could have portrayed Dany's decent to madness and gave it the merit it required to get to what happened in Kingslanding in the end. They laid virtually NO ground work for that on the show. In the novels, Dany is not as nice as she is at the show, at one point she ordered the torture of little girls for information when one of her servants was killed, but the show rarely gave us that side of her and when they did; it was always justified to make you sympathize with her. The novels have been preparing for the ending for a long time, it's a logical one for the narrative GRRM has created but it doesn't make sense on the show, it just feels like sloppy bad writing. The double D's have ruined this by being over-confident, arrogant and disrespectful to GRRM and the fans, I hope Disney takes notice and cancels their Star Wars contract with them because it's bound to be catastrophic for the franchise.

Agreed to some extent, given some dissenters are acting like cry babies.

I enjoyed thoroughly this last season, even with its flaws and perks (and there were quite a few) and I really don't have any issue with people expressing discontent regarding the new season because criticism is healthy, but I think the fandom has blown this out of proportion. I think the petition is dumb for a few reasons:
1) It's not happening. Not happening. Why would you invest time and energy into something that's basically just a statement of how these past couple of episodes haven been to the liking of the masses? True, it's a wide sentiment, but still it's not happening. Do people believe it's actually doable? It's not.
2) Entitlement of some fans is so incredibly out of proportion that they feel the ending should be fit to their own idea of how the series should end. True, the counterargument for this is easy: But it's not some fans, it's most of the fandom; and yeah, but even though people seem to forget that we as fans don't get to choose what the artists, or the producers, or the show runners or even GRRM do. We get to complain or express disagreement, sure, but demanding a "better" ending is something I really don't get.
3) We all have the ways we would've loved the series to end, and that's fine. If the series didn't end in a way that we feel like it was right and fitting and we criticize in all of our social media because that's what we do in 2019, that's fine as well; but even then we should just accept that it is what it is. That was the ending, that was the last season. Like it or not, it's not changing, and it shouldn't change. Should Dream Theater redo "The Astonishing" because a fair share of fans didn't like it? Hell, no. Just leave it be.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7516 on: May 20, 2019, 09:01:51 AM »

:lol

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #7517 on: May 20, 2019, 09:05:28 AM »
- The cabinet at the end. What the hell? Bron get to be master of coin? Why? Brienne? Beside the fact that she took an oath and is supposed to be in the north protecting Sansa, she's now on that council for some reason? Davos, who can barely read, is correcting grammar? Did Sam just completely bail on the citadel?   
Not trying to dispute your opinion but since you're talking about the questions raised by specific things and if they make sense, just some info on these two points:

Brienne was Commander of the Kingsguard (as shown by the armour and filling in the book about Jaime), and the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard traditionally is part of the small council (mentioned in Season 3), so that's why she is part of the council. I do think her not sticking with Sansa is a bit odd but considering it's Sansa's brother I can easily see her suggesting she become Kingsguard to him.

Sam was wearing the clothes of a maester, so seemed to have the role of Grand Maester (who traditionally sits on the small council, as seen with Pycelle). So he didn't bail on the Citadel, he is now in the role of basically being the link between the Citadel and King's Landing. Either he must have returned to complete his training or the Citadel just accepted that what he had done was enough to qualify as a maseter.

- Grey worm is a fucking prick now and I hope his ship sinks.
Agreed. This is how I choose to see his voyage at the end :p :

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7518 on: May 20, 2019, 09:08:07 AM »
Fair points

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7519 on: May 20, 2019, 09:08:14 AM »
- Tyrion finding Jaime and Cersei. It looked like that entire mountain collapsed when we saw them die. Tyrion strolls in and they are buried under about 6" of rubble, and there are entire sections of the floor with no ceiling debris on them at all.   

Yea, this seemed a bit odd to me too, but I'm not letting this detail ruins things for me but it did kind of look like if those two just stood 10 feet over they might have been fine  :lol but it's not a big deal for me.

- The cabinet at the end. What the hell? Bron gets to be master of coin? Why? Brienne? Beside the fact that she took an oath and is supposed to be in the north protecting Sansa, she's now on that council for some reason? Davos, who can barely read, is correcting grammar? Did Sam just completely bail on the citadel? It's like the writers said "let's take everyone's favorite characters and just put them together. It doesn't need to make sense".

I really liked the small council.  I thought Bronn made some sense, the guy is good at getting his money. Clearly he was paid his debt and I thought his story this season was really dumb, but him being there at the end works fine for me.  He did have a good relationship with Tyrion which I'm sure went back to being BBF once he got paid.  Brienne should have been with Sansa but maybe Sansa pardoned her of her oath?  Brienne being Commander of the Kingsguard it a pretty awesome ending for her.  I wish we got to see some sort of scene though explaining her oath.  Samy didn't leave the citadel really.  Looks like he is arch maester which means he's the head of all maesters, and therefore the Citadel too.  He earned it and clearly was much more in tune with what's actually happening in Westeros than anyone else there. 

- Arya getting a boat and just heading west? It's almost like the writers had absolutely no idea what to do and literally just had her sail off into the sunset. She could just ask Bran what's to the west after the map ends.   

Yea, I guess instead of killing her to end her story which kind of came to the conclusion when she decided she didn't want to kill anymore they went this route.  She's not a lady so settling down wasn't something for her.  In the books, it is Euron who explores what's beyond the other side of the sea. 

- Banishing Jon to the night watch, a group of people in place to stop a threat that Jon already help defeat?   

Maybe I am wrong, but he just got banished to the wall but not really to the Night's Watch which I can't imagine still exists or would be a thing.  Castle Black was manned by wildlings when we saw it so seems like he's really just going to live north of the wall with the free folk.  Jon's punishment was really what he probably wanted all along.

- Grey worm is a fucking prick now and I hope his ship sinks.

Yea.  I think Greyworm broke.  The unsullied aren't supposed to have any emotion or affection.  The fact he found some for Missandei is kind of amazing and showed he was human.  Seeing her die changed him.  He became full of emotion and rage.  His character turned too with Dany.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7520 on: May 20, 2019, 09:27:09 AM »
One of the only times I have ever found myself seething with rage while watching this show was when Grey Worm continued slitting the throats of surrendered Lannister soldiers after Jon walked away. I hope the butterflies swarm him.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7521 on: May 20, 2019, 09:41:50 AM »
....and that scene of Drogon nudging a dead Danys body to get her to ‘wake up’ was emotional. It’s odd how I felt so bad for a computer generated character. Kudos to the CGI crew on his character in this show. From him rescuing Dany in the fitting pits of Mereen to roasting the Lannister army....he truly was an awesome character and it’s bittersweet that he’s now free to roam yet if he’s capable of love...all he’s loved is gone.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7522 on: May 20, 2019, 10:02:30 AM »
Yep, it is hard to believe you could get emotional over a dragon, but there it is.  The scene where Danny trades Drogon for the Unsullied (before turning the tables and taking him back a minute later) is sad to watch, as you can hear the dragon crying as she walks away.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7523 on: May 20, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »
....and that scene of Drogon nudging a dead Danys body to get her to ‘wake up’ was emotional. It’s odd how I felt so bad for a computer generated character. Kudos to the CGI crew on his character in this show. From him rescuing Dany in the fitting pits of Mereen to roasting the Lannister army....he truly was an awesome character and it’s bittersweet that he’s now free to roam yet if he’s capable of love...all he’s loved is gone.

I really liked that scene, but I could have done without the throne burning. I get the symbology of it, but odds are that dragon wouldn't have understood to any degree what that thing represented.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7524 on: May 20, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »
Nah, dragons are smarter than people.