Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 637914 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #7455 on: May 19, 2019, 08:50:26 PM »
Just sent a text to my friend which said, 'screw the haters, but I had no problems with that finale'.

The Starks finally won. Bran is king, Sansa has her own kingdom, Arya is off traveling the world and Jon ran off with Tormund to become a wildling.

I knew Dany had to die. Was surprised it was Jon.

I second that sitcom idea with Tyrion and the cabinet. That would be amazing!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7456 on: May 19, 2019, 08:53:05 PM »
Mixed feelings.

Bran becoming king gets a big eye roll from me.

No way they a) wouldn't have executed Tyrion right away (what were they waiting for?), and b) would have let Jon see him.  I am glad Tyrion lived, though.

I hate that ending for Daenerys.  Her arc deserved a better ending.  Not saying she had to live, but letting her guard down like that made her look really stupid. 

The best moment was Sansa at the end.  After everything she endured, she deserved that ending.

Overall, I was pretty underwhelmed. I get what they were going for, but not sure it totally stuck to landing.  I am glad it was a good ending for the Starks, though.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7457 on: May 19, 2019, 08:56:20 PM »
Mixed feelings.

Bran becoming king gets a big eye roll from me.

Overall, I was pretty underwhelmed. I get what they were going for, but not sure it totally stuck to landing.  I am glad it was a good ending for the Starks, though.

Big eye roll for me as well for King Catatonic

And underwhelmed is how I would describe my feelings as well with the ending.  It ties everything up, but I don't love it, and don't hate it. Its just ok

Offline masterthes

« Reply #7458 on: May 19, 2019, 09:03:16 PM »
I think the best thing they could've done was ultimately decide they didn't need one unifying ruler. Everybody has their own territories. Rule them as you seem fit

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7459 on: May 19, 2019, 09:04:22 PM »
On reflection I think I'm very satisfied with this ending and love how they wrapped it up. It bears repeating that the show would've really benefitted from a regular 10 episode season 7 &  8 and things would've felt a lot more satisfying. But given how things wound up it wasn't the overwhelming amazing feeling I had like with Breaking Bad but it was still very good.
And that shot of Dany with Drogon's wings opening behind her was an awesome shot. Making her look almost demonic.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7460 on: May 19, 2019, 09:09:26 PM »
Holy crap....  I don't know what was going on but at the very end of the episode there was a shit load of particulates in the air in my living room.

Bran being selected as King....   Actually now it makes a helluva lot of sense.  Being the 3 eyed Raven gives him a lot of insight and skills for the title.  I LOVE that the Starks won.  It will be interesting how folks react to Bran, but at the end of the day it should quell the folks saying the series over the last 2 seasons lacks the big "Twists".

My big "Questions" are...  Did Drogon just go off to live in solitude?  How the hell did they rebuild parts of Kings Landing so quickly?  Were the unsullied sailing bak to Esos, basically abandoning Westoros?

I'm actually surprised the fanatic that Grey Worm was actually gave in to the Lords of Westros.

At the end of the day....  I think the ending was very good.  We can always nit pick. 

And that shot of Dany with Drogon's wings opening behind her was an awesome shot. Making her look almost demonic.
  Yeah... that was EPIC!!!!!!!!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7461 on: May 19, 2019, 09:13:24 PM »
I loved how Drogon burnt the Iron Throne. Like he knew that's what ultimately killed his mother. I was satisfied with the ending. Grey Worm should've died though. Turned into quite the prick. I'll be shocked if Dinklage doesn't get another Emmy for this, and I think Emilia deserves one

You know I felt really bad for GW in episode 4 but omg I hated him so much in the final episode. SCREW that dude. Pissed me off every second he kept being on screen.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7462 on: May 19, 2019, 09:18:45 PM »
My favorite Dany moment in the entire series has to be when she said, “They don’t get to choose.” So chilling.

Oh, also the costumes!   :omg:

The three-eyed raven on Brianne’s armor was bitchin’
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7463 on: May 19, 2019, 09:21:40 PM »
I'm actually surprised the fanatic that Grey Worm was actually gave in to the Lords of Westros.

Tyrion found a way to show him that they had broken Dany's wheel.  Rulers will now be chosen/elected, rather than inherit the title by birth.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7464 on: May 19, 2019, 09:24:12 PM »
The handling of Greyworm has been very out of character this episode, I thought for sure he'll have to die.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7465 on: May 19, 2019, 09:24:37 PM »
Final episode is officially titled 'The Iron Throne'.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7466 on: May 19, 2019, 09:26:22 PM »
Final episode is officially titled 'The Iron Throne'.
As in the "Melted down to slag" Iron Throne! :lol  Pretty damn perceptive of Drogon....

Tyrion found a way to show him that they had broken Dany's wheel.  Rulers will now be chosen/elected, rather than inherit the title by birth.
  Still....  I get that, but he was a devoted FANATIC!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #7467 on: May 19, 2019, 09:50:20 PM »
So what, Jon is just gonna go be a lumberjack now?   :P :angel:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7468 on: May 19, 2019, 09:51:03 PM »
Yeah, the moment I saw Drogon melt the throne, it seemed the only proper solution. Felt all the arcs were neatly tied up, albeit quickly, as has been this whole season. Overall I'm satisfied.

I too gave a big 'awwwwwww' when Ghost showed up. Felt Jon going with the wild was a proper solution, and probably where he'd be happiest. If done properly, Arya's journey west could make a killer spin off show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7469 on: May 19, 2019, 09:52:58 PM »
   I LOVE that the Starks won.   

This is the big takeaway for me.  House Stark was presented as the protagonists (by and large) in episode 1, and they were dealt some awful blows over the years, so it was great to see the remaining members get a mostly happy ending.  :hat

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7470 on: May 19, 2019, 09:59:09 PM »
Also, I love how they closed Tyrion's arc. They gave him two class-A monologues, the scene in prison and the one in the dragon pit. They had him basically decide the king, then followed it with making him hand. And also, gave him a last line perfectly fitting of his character, "I once went into a brothel with a goat and some honeycomb..."

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7471 on: May 19, 2019, 10:03:54 PM »
Also, I love how they closed Tyrion's arc. They gave him two class-A monologues, the scene in prison and the one in the dragon pit. They had him basically decide the king, then followed it with making him hand. And also, gave him a last line perfectly fitting of his character, "I once went into a brothel with a goat and some honeycomb..."
Agreed... and like someone else mentioned...  He should get and award for his performance.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7472 on: May 19, 2019, 10:05:40 PM »
"I freed my brother... and you slaughtered a city."
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7473 on: May 19, 2019, 10:09:38 PM »
give him props for standing his ground.  Knowing it was a death sentence.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7474 on: May 19, 2019, 10:13:33 PM »
give him props for standing his ground.  Knowing it was a death sentence.

Yeah, when he tossed the hand pin, I was sure he wasn't lasting another ten seconds.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7475 on: May 19, 2019, 10:15:45 PM »
I'm about to go to bed and it just hit me that Drogon's fate is unknown. He was a good boy his whole life and now he's an orphan without either of his brothers. Damn, dude. :(

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #7476 on: May 19, 2019, 10:42:27 PM »

That was so well done. Just, wow.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #7477 on: May 19, 2019, 11:22:19 PM »
I would say my favorite moment of the entire season was Drogon burning the Iron Throne. I don't know if it was his way of saying "if she can't have it, neither can you", or "it was the pursuit of this that killed her, and so many others", but the cool thing is either way it was a totally epic and appropriate move that only a dragon could deliver so amazingly.

As far as Bran as king, the things that REALLY bothers me is that with his powers I feel like he could have helped craft a future that did not involve him as king, or one without the burning of King's Landing if he was truly concerned about the squabbles of the living, which was highly questionable since he seemed only to care about winning against the dead.

I also think Sansa had a pretty big dick move in the grand unification by breaking away not only from the throne, but from her brother. She is by far my least favorite actor/actress on the series, and I've never been overly fond of her character, so kinda sad to see her as Queen of the North.

The council scene near the end was certainly one of the best of the season, and makes me wish they could make a spinoff about rebuilding King's Landing/Westeros without dragons, war, or constant killing, because that group could be great going forward. Of course no one would watch that. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #7478 on: May 20, 2019, 12:14:18 AM »
Thankfully not Dexter levels of bad.

But there is a major issue I have with the episode.  An early scene shows Greyworm executing members of Cersei's army rather than prison them.  John Snow kills Dany and we are led to believe (by a rather convenient time jump) that Greyworm made John a prisoner.  That time jump was again another example of how the writing has dropped in this final season.    We have to accept the Unsullied and the Dothraki - just sort of hung around doing nothing after Danys was killed until the leaders of the remaining realms turned up at Kings Landing (which in theory could take weeks).

Overall I'm satisfied with the route the story took in this final season, what I'm not so happy with is the way it was told.   It simply needed more episodes to told the story at satisfying pace.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7479 on: May 20, 2019, 01:42:10 AM »
Would you have done it?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7480 on: May 20, 2019, 02:31:18 AM »
I like how they handled Drogon, but for the rest a lot of these characters don't make a whole lote of sense to me. Pretty much in line what I thought of the entire season and I think it was pretty bad. However, I do not have any problem with where the characters ended, just how they got to those conclusions.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7481 on: May 20, 2019, 03:53:45 AM »
How long til this gets edited out too?  :lol

https://i.redd.it/84ezqyhataz21.jpg

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7482 on: May 20, 2019, 04:29:26 AM »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline masterthes

« Reply #7483 on: May 20, 2019, 04:49:22 AM »
The point about Sansa though, she was just upholding tradition. She wasn't being a dick about it. Like Lyanna said, "The North knows no king"

On reflection, the big thing that disappointed me was that the few that knew ended up silently agreeing to keep Jon's parentage a secret. Why? Instead of being a queenslayer, they could've spun it that he was killing a usurper

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7484 on: May 20, 2019, 05:13:02 AM »
It was odd that they didn't even discuss crowning Jon. I get he was a prisoner of the Unsullied, but so was Tyrion. Makes sense that he didn't end up on the throne though.

Bran was an odd choice, IMO. They should have set him up as having a few leadership skills earlier in the season or something. It makes sense for him to be the first King in a new system where the nobles elect a new king every time one died I guess. Overall I was underwhelmed by the choice of Bran.

Overall I thought it was a fitting end. I knew it wasn't going to be an ending that I loved and it wasn't. It was never going to be a happy ending in all regards. For such an epic show it was kind of an un-epic ending which was a little disappointing in some ways. Though the dragon melting the throne was pretty great.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7485 on: May 20, 2019, 05:42:59 AM »
That was kind of boring, to be honest. I mean, it was ok, but it all felt to me like a big anti-climax.

It also all felt really disconnected from previous events and recent episodes. What was that closing scene from episode 5 (Arya and the horse) about (EDIT: not just the horse obviously, but how that episode wrapped up Arya's experience throughout the episode. She barely featured in the finale)? If Varys had sent out ravens to tell people about Jon being the true heir, why did nobody care or even mention it? Given they were doing a short season and screen-time was therefore limited, why even show these things if they don't go anywhere or mean anything?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:07:08 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7486 on: May 20, 2019, 06:13:10 AM »
It was a consistent problem in this season. Bronn's subplot and the golden company were both things that took up some screen time and in the end had no impact whatsoever.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #7487 on: May 20, 2019, 06:18:14 AM »
On reflection, the big thing that disappointed me was that the few that knew ended up silently agreeing to keep Jon's parentage a secret. Why? Instead of being a queenslayer, they could've spun it that he was killing a usurper

I was surprised by that, given the books and the prophecies.  The show has been building Jon up for years and made a big deal about his lineage, so I thought it would be a prominent item in the finale.  But Jon was adamant to all that he didn't want to rule, so what's the point of releasing his true identity to the masses, especially after the last known living Targaryan just destroyed the capital city?  Jon's lineage became another item to get under Dany's skin, leading her to anger and jealousy.

I thought it was a great finale - did not see Bran being elected at all.  Love that the surviving members of the Stark family are all happy, and really loved seeing Brienne write in the white book. She finally got to where she wanted to be, being a knight and leading the Kingsguard.  Having her fill in Jamie's pages after Joffrey mocked him for having such an empty entry is so touching and made me tear up.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #7488 on: May 20, 2019, 06:22:14 AM »
I am one of those people who was not thrilled with Danny's story arc. In hindsight, all the signs were there, I just thought she turned it up to eleven too quickly, if that makes any sense. Because of that, I was pleasantly surprised when they killed her off so early in the episode. At that point, I became really curious about what was going to happen, and what followed was pretty satisfying. Maybe not in a "they tied up every loose end" or a "this is Season 1-4 caliber" kind of way, but I felt like the remaining characters all ended up where they were supposed to. It was strangely hopeful... Maybe too hopeful, but I personally needed it after the complete bummer that was Season 8.

Overall, I think that Game of Thrones is an amazing achievement. Its first four seasons were mind-blowing. The next couple were good but, in my opinion, a tad dull. And it's last two have been the equivalent of a podcast on 1.5x speed. I really wish they stuck around for nine or ten full seasons, but I guess everything ends sometime. A week or two ago, I was genuinely concerned that I would never want to revisit the show again, but I'm already looking forward to rewatching it a few years from now. Can't believe it's over, but glad I was along for the ride!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7489 on: May 20, 2019, 06:25:01 AM »
"Died protecting his Queen" - Brienne finishing that entry for Jaime's legacy was definitely one of the best moments of the finale.

Regardless of what you thought of Cersei (or even Jaime), Tyrion finding their dead bodies was absolutely soul-crushing.