Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 636883 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #7420 on: May 18, 2019, 09:25:10 PM »

This is a perfect time to ask: what is everyone's favorite 'dialogue' scene in the show?

For me its pretty much anything with tywin talking. He's awesome
Also really like Little finger and Varys in the throne room "Chaos is a ladder scene"
And anything with oberyn talking. Coolest mother fucker ever

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7421 on: May 18, 2019, 09:28:51 PM »
Too many great dialogue scenes to pick just one, although I am sure I am not alone in saying my favorite talkers are/were Tyrion, Tywin and Olenna.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7422 on: May 19, 2019, 01:56:31 AM »
There's a brilliant conversation between Tyrion and Jamie before Tyrion has his trial by combat in season four. That is kind of the first dialogue that comes to mind.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7423 on: May 19, 2019, 04:02:24 AM »
This is a perfect time to ask: what is everyone's favorite 'dialogue' scene in the show? A scene with little to no action, just two (or more) characters talking. Slap on the wrist for anyone who picks Littlefinger's sexposition scene. I have to admit, going back and watching some of these, the contrast is SO stark (pun unintended) between endgame and early era GoT.

Winner is definitively Tyrion's rant at the trial. Awesome performance that deserves all the Emmys there can be. I could basically repat it word for word. That was Game of Thrones at its very peak.

Second has to be Oberyn talking with Tyrion offering to be his champion. I stumbled upon a video interview with Pedro Pascal and he said that was the FIRST scene he did - I know actors read the script, prepare for their part and all, but to just come in and start with that scene... incredible! the whole scene is amazing. Oberyn being his sassy self. He then empathizes with Tyrion, tellin him how much Cersei hated him since the beginning. "That's not a monster... that's just a baby". And then the badass reveal that he wants to be his champions. Wonderful from beginning to end.

Basically everything with Tywin and Olenna, thanks to Charles Dance and Diana Rigg. To give credit to the authors (and maybe to be even more annoyed at season 8 since it shows that they still had in it), Olenna telling Jaimie she poisoned Joffrey was gorgeous from beginning to end. Even in defeat she was always her sassy self, she tried more than once to get Jaimie talking about Joffrey, and then the ultimate burn, the reveal after she already drank the poisoned wine. "Tell Cersei. I want her to know it was me".  Hail Olenna, the Queen of Thorns, the only one that won even in dying.

Even though it was all thrown away by the burning of Shireen ("But it will happen also in the book!!!"... yeah, be sure that it will be a greater sacrifice for major reasons, not just to melt some snow) , Stannis telling his daughter that he's not ashamed of her was also brilliant.

Now if we compare all of this with "Cersei is losing allies by the day" with Dany replying "my enemies grow stronger" 60 seconds later....... *sigh*
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7424 on: May 19, 2019, 05:38:05 AM »
I have been checking out older highlight scenes and am enjoying them a whole lot. So many legendary scenes. This season won't take that from me. As for the finale I am sure I will enjoy the hell out of the memes. And who knows, maybe I will like this one because my expectations are low. But I can't stress enough that this series as a whole is still fantastic and there is nothing comparable out there. It has been a great ride.

This is a perfect time to ask: what is everyone's favorite 'dialogue' scene in the show? A scene with little to no action, just two (or more) characters talking. Slap on the wrist for anyone who picks Littlefinger's sexposition scene. I have to admit, going back and watching some of these, the contrast is SO stark (pun unintended) between endgame and early era GoT.

I've been thinking about it since I read your post, ErHaO, and I'm tossing it up between Tywin talking to Jaime while skinning the stag, Cersei and Bobby B just having a normal conversation together, and Tyrion lambasting the crowd at his trial. I'm leaning towards Cersei and Bobby B.

Definitely the trail of Tyrion for me, Dinklage's his performance is sublime there.

And Tywin schooling his children and grandchildren was always great. His introduction with the stag probably being the highlight of those.

But honestly it is difficult to pick other standouts because there are many involving a wide variety of characters.

Second has to be Oberyn talking with Tyrion offering to be his champion. I stumbled upon a video interview with Pedro Pascal and he said that was the FIRST scene he did - I know actors read the script, prepare for their part and all, but to just come in and start with that scene... incredible! the whole scene is amazing. Oberyn being his sassy self. He then empathizes with Tyrion, tellin him how much Cersei hated him since the beginning. "That's not a monster... that's just a baby". And then the badass reveal that he wants to be his champions. Wonderful from beginning to end.

Oberyn only had a short presence in the series but nonetheless his death is one of the ones that impacted me the most. Pedro Pascal did a fantastic job.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7425 on: May 19, 2019, 05:38:33 AM »
Not sure it's the best, but I like the conversations between Tywin and Arya in Harrenhal.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7426 on: May 19, 2019, 06:35:35 AM »
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of dialogues in a back-and-forth conversation, but yeah, Tyrion's rant at his trail would certainly be at the top. 

Tywin schooling Tommen right after Joffrey's death was stellar as well.  "Your brother was not a wise king. Your brother was not a good king."  Right in front of Cersei. :lol :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7427 on: May 19, 2019, 08:34:50 AM »
Yea Tywin schooling his kids was always great.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7428 on: May 19, 2019, 10:44:25 AM »
I always enjoyed the drinking game scene.

As to my favorite line, that'd be "My sister asked you a question..."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7429 on: May 19, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »
Ok, last minute predictions....

I say Jon becomes the Queen Slayer, kills Dany, then abdicates the throne to Sansa.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7430 on: May 19, 2019, 01:20:57 PM »

I say Jon becomes the Queen Slayer, kills Dany, then abdicates the throne to Sansa.

Got room in that boat for one more? That's what I'm thinking as well. I also think if there's a mention of Jaime gone missing from captivity then Tyrion will be executed but I am crossing my fingers that someone saves his hide at the last minute. Beyond that... no idea what they're gonna do.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7431 on: May 19, 2019, 01:24:36 PM »

I’m with ya RJ. Have had this thought for some time now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7432 on: May 19, 2019, 03:00:04 PM »

Either this, or they decide to leave the throne empty and let the seven kingdoms rule themselves.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #7433 on: May 19, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
Predictions for the title of the last episode? I bet it's gonna be 'A Song of Ice & Fire'.

As someone who has read the books I never took much interest in the series and I'm seriously slapping myself for that ever since Season 8 started, because I feel like I'm missing out. I did kind-of follow what the series was doing, even beyond the books, but never bothered to actually watch the show. At this moment I'm halfway through Season 4 with the watching, but you bet I'm going to watch the Finale tomorrow (yes, in Europe it will be tomorrow), because there's no way I'll be able to avoid spoilers.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7434 on: May 19, 2019, 03:08:02 PM »
I have to think that Jon ends up on the Iron Throne.  Yeah... he doesn't want it, but the only legit claims are Dani and Him.  I know he has repeatedly said he doesn't want it, but I don't think he will have a choice.  Word is now out about his heritage, Thanks Varys!

Dark horse - Jon abdicates and a united Sansa and Tyrion rule.  :biggrin:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7435 on: May 19, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »
Predictions for the title of the last episode? I bet it's gonna be 'A Song of Ice & Fire'.

If it's not gonna be that or A Dream of Spring, it's gonna be a fail.

Night gathers, and now my non watch begins.

In the USA the episode will air, I will sleep, go to work and be terrified to open Facebook and Instagram all day until I can come back home and see the episode.

I have to say it was relatively safe on social media - I watched The Long Night completely unspoiled, and all I've seen before last episode were a couple of memes about Dany giggling in front of the fire house, and a "You went full Targaryen - you never, ever go full Targaryen". I'm afraid the internet will shit itself with the last episode and I'll thread the web veeeeeeeery carefully.

(This means I'll also miss the first 3-4 pages of discussions and I'll arrive later saying things already said and not as good as many other people here are able to do).

At least it will be the last time I'll have to endure such a spoiler terror  :lol

On a scale from Dexter to Breaking Bad, let's hope it will tend towards the latter.... have a good watch everyone! too bad that the answer to the god of series ending is, alas..... "Today".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7436 on: May 19, 2019, 04:34:06 PM »
Shower thoughts: I'm thinking A Time For Wolves might be the most fitting title given recent events. The future of Westeros is looking mighty bleak right now - regardless of what happens to the people, King's Landing just got freaking annihilated, what is going to happen to the economy of the Seven Kingdoms with the capitol literally blown to smithereens? It'll take generations to rebuild the city with their technology.

ASOIAF or ADOS would be good titles though. Hoping it's one of the three.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7437 on: May 19, 2019, 05:00:11 PM »
There is not a whole lot of Ice in this story anymore, so I hope the title will be something else.

As for who ends up on the throne, I think Dany will die (by Jon), considering her actions last episode, pretty much the entire kingdom will be out for her blood. Gendry, while the son of a king that brought decades of peace, is a bastard only just now a lord that still has to make a name for himself. That leaves Jon and the Starks. While my gut feeling still says Jon, I think the writers want someone unexpected, if someone ends up ruling after all. Simply because Jon would be the one most predict and that is not how this season has been rolling (biggest example being Arya taking the Night King). In that case I think it will be one of the Starks. Strong family name, of whom several have been leaders, thus other prominent families/the people being fine with it. Out of those Sansa has been the most leadership like. Bran is a emotionless husk and Arya is not going to do it. But that is me trying to predict something unexpected.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7438 on: May 19, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »
I could define season 8 but this episode I just have no words

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7439 on: May 19, 2019, 08:17:46 PM »
Well, that's that

I don't know what to think

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7440 on: May 19, 2019, 08:20:51 PM »
I have a lot of thoughts on what just happened. But for now, I'll just post what I shared on my Facebook as the credits rolled.

When I was a kid, I remember the first thing I ever wanted to be was a fantasy author. And I really envy this world George R.R. Martin has created, and how much happiness it's brought me. That goes to everyone ever involved in the TV show, too. This has been an unbelievable thing to watch unfold and take over the world. I have my thoughts on this last season's pacing - not the events so much - but that's a whole other can of worms. I would have loved to see this go for 10, 11, 12 seasons...

But for now I think I'll get back to reading A Game of Thrones. :)

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #7441 on: May 19, 2019, 08:24:53 PM »
Wow...

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7442 on: May 19, 2019, 08:27:00 PM »
That's all folks. The ending sorta reminded me of season four finale with similar music notes. At least everyone bitching about Jon not petting his Ghost will shut up.

This was a lot more optimistic ending than I thought it would be. But I'm not complaining. Farewell GoT, one of the most cinematic shows ever.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7443 on: May 19, 2019, 08:27:26 PM »
Omg that's exactly what I thought when I saw Ghost  :rollin

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7444 on: May 19, 2019, 08:29:12 PM »
I would have loved to see this go for 10, 11, 12 seasons...

Me too. I think if this line of events had more time to breathe, and develop, then things would have been much better. But oh well. Hard swinging from night king, to cersie, to dany being the villain in just 3 episodes wasn't doing the show any favors.

I thought it was cool in a bittersweet ironic kind of way that Dany only was able to touch the throne, but not actually able to sit in it.

We only got a small taste of the dany regime, but it felt legit tense and terrifying.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7445 on: May 19, 2019, 08:29:20 PM »
I need a sitcom with the new council headed by Tyrion.
The best thing about this is that it's over, there's no satisfaction here except knowing that I don't have to think about it anymore.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7446 on: May 19, 2019, 08:30:53 PM »
I thought it was cool in a bittersweet ironic kind of way that Dany only was able to touch the throne, but not actually able to sit in it.

I liked that, once Jon walked in I predicted he's gonna give her the Ramsay. That's stabbing someone who's hugging you hehe
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7447 on: May 19, 2019, 08:32:53 PM »
I personally loved when the lords laughed at Sam's pitch for democracy.

Also, was that f*&%ing Robin Arryn?! Holy cow it's been a while since we've seen him!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7448 on: May 19, 2019, 08:34:05 PM »
Oh sweet Robin, lol. What a difference

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7449 on: May 19, 2019, 08:34:35 PM »
That episode could have been a whole season, other than that, not a bad ending.  Pretty happy overall actually.  Seems like all the good and favorite characters got happy endings, even Jon smiled at the end.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7450 on: May 19, 2019, 08:36:48 PM »
Truth be told I did not see Jon doing the deed. I did love that scene and figured the show would end with Dany on the throne being evil and killing everyone setting up more conflict on a neverending cycle as we normally see humans do time and time again.

That was the bleak ending I thought we would get so I'm delighted they didn't go that route and ended up being more hopeful instead. Fitting I think from all the horror we just saw.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7451 on: May 19, 2019, 08:40:11 PM »

Partially called it!

I'll reflect more tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:55:45 AM by Chino »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7452 on: May 19, 2019, 08:46:01 PM »
I thought it was fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #7453 on: May 19, 2019, 08:48:11 PM »
I loved how Drogon burnt the Iron Throne. Like he knew that's what ultimately killed his mother. I was satisfied with the ending. Grey Worm should've died though. Turned into quite the prick. I'll be shocked if Dinklage doesn't get another Emmy for this, and I think Emilia deserves one

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7454 on: May 19, 2019, 08:50:17 PM »
I’m satisfied. Great show!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens