Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628594 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #7385 on: May 17, 2019, 01:48:51 PM »
I watched this vidoe this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd-R7ySHbYA

it's GRRM over the summer talking about the show and spinoffs.  He pretty much says the actors and showrunners didn't want to do the show anymore, they all wanted to move on.  GRRM was the one who pushed them to do one more season.  They wanted it done in season 7.  Imagine if that was allowed?  I hope people in the future look at this example and say, "we shouldn't sign people to do these shows if they arent committed to finishing it properly"  Seems everyone is looking up to bigger and better things now that they got their stardom.  D&D doing the next star wars seems to be the proof that they might have had their eye on their next prize.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7386 on: May 17, 2019, 01:50:28 PM »
That is such a shame. I know, it's easy to beg for more, but... I mean, what would a couple more years be, compared to however many more years almost all of them have in their careers? Oh well...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7387 on: May 17, 2019, 02:20:48 PM »
I kind of find it hard to believe the majority of the actors would be in favor of rushing the plot just to be done with it. Nailing the landing is better for everyone. The showrunners are replaceable in my opinion. I mean, it is not like acting in Game of Thrones prevents you from doing other projects, many of them have been in other films or projects, major ones even. Just look at Peter Dinklage. However, like with the MCU, these actors get significantly more expensive as their careers progress and as with all large series, their demands become higher (which is their right). Offcourse, some actors probably really don't feel like doing it. But in terms of career progression, major Hollywood stars have been doing stage plays and shows (cable/streaming) inbetween high profile productions as well, so I don't buy being tethered to the biggest series of all time, with not all that much screentime, is detrimental to your career. And a longer season (10 instead of 6?), perhaps with some timeskips, could have been sufficient as well in my opinion.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7388 on: May 17, 2019, 03:13:43 PM »
I was shocked to learn how little these actors and actresses are making. Arya only makes $180k an episode. Cersei gets $500k. Seems low seeing as the show is arguably HBO's most successful ever. I mean, The Big Bang cast was making $1M an episode.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7389 on: May 17, 2019, 03:15:45 PM »
I was shocked to learn how little these actors and actresses are making. Arya only makes $180k an episode. Cersei gets $500k. Seems low seeing as the show is arguably HBO's most successful ever. I mean, The Big Bang cast was making $1M an episode.

Got to remember that many of the actors were nobody before this show.  Cersei was one of the most well known.  Then add in the large cast, these costs quickly add up.  They definitely were getting into a money problem too as the actors want more each season.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7390 on: May 17, 2019, 03:21:21 PM »
Yeah, I can't really call myself a movie expert, but when the show started, Sean Bean - who I firstly and mainly associated with Boromir, second fiddle in a big cast and killed in the first of three movies - was by far the most famous actor involved. And I happened to stumble upon Lena Headey in a Grimm movie. That was it, I didn't know anybody else. Maybe Mark Addy (King Robert), must have seen him somewhere, but the rest were all unknown to me.

I might understand some of the cast being burnt out - what it must have been like to shoot the battle of Winterfell over what, 40 nights? more? but Lena Headey, as memes around the web point out, got paid so much for every episode to just stare out of a window while drinking wine. Lifetime goals  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7391 on: May 17, 2019, 03:23:11 PM »
 :lol yea and Sean Bean being the big name maybe got paid the big bucks since they knew they weren't keeping him around much longer.  Charles Dance was another bigger name, but I'm not sure he was even in season 1?  I don't remember if we saw him at the end of season 1 or beginning of season 2.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7392 on: May 17, 2019, 03:24:10 PM »
I'd do terrible things for Arya's pay tbh
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7393 on: May 17, 2019, 03:30:47 PM »
:lol yea and Sean Bean being the big name maybe got paid the big bucks since they knew they weren't keeping him around much longer.  Charles Dance was another bigger name, but I'm not sure he was even in season 1?  I don't remember if we saw him at the end of season 1 or beginning of season 2.

He appeared near the end of season 1, skinning a stag and chastizing Jamie about family values and leadership. And Charles Dance actually learnt to skin a stag and he was performing it for real during the scene. That's how badass he is.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7394 on: May 17, 2019, 03:55:08 PM »
I know battles like the one of Winterfell took more than 50 days to film, but that is the entire thing containing many different pieces and sets. I don't think the entire cast was there at their position in the battle every time something was recorded. My housemate did a couple of days for Dunkirk and he was on stand by for several days and only joined filming for like an hour or so. Offcourse he was just some background soldier, but there are so many layers in these films and not all of them are done at once. Who knows, maybe Emilia was standing on a rock for 30 days and riding in front of a green screen for 20, but I doubt it. But on the flipside there are stories like the actors in The Lord of the Rings, who had to stand still for a long ass time just to get in their Hobbit shoes. So maybe there are a lot of small things that add up in these productions I don't immediately think of.

A higher amount of leads, big sets, extensive custumes/make-up and high quality cgi. I think it would be a tough sell to the production company of Game of Thrones to pay the actors that much, even with this degree of popularity. And honestly I think that is one of the reasons the production as a whole wants to move on and use the strong brand to do something new. Many actors of the MCU, for example, also didn't get paid that much initially. But when those initial contracts ran out, they (rightfully) become way more expensive.

He appeared near the end of season 1, skinning a stag and chastizing Jamie about family values and leadership. And Charles Dance actually learnt to skin a stag and he was performing it for real during the scene. That's how badass he is.

Dance is probably my favourite casting of the entire show. And the fact that he did that for real after just learning it while nailing a compelling performance shows how good he is.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7395 on: May 17, 2019, 04:30:13 PM »

I ask this because I don't know the answer:

A show like Big Bang Theory directly generates revenue through advertising.  As a result, actors on successful network shows can demand high per-episode pay.  By contrast, shows on HBO generate no direct revenue.  HBO generates direct revenue through subscriptions, which are not tied to any given show.  Doesn't that have something to do with this?  Also, aside from the other things folks have mentioned (e.g., large main cast, most of whom were relative unknowns before the show began), how much screen time did Maisie Williams actually have this season?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7396 on: May 17, 2019, 04:58:08 PM »

Yea, I love that scene for the symbolism of skinning a stag.  Just couldn't immediately remember if that was end of season 1 or beginning of season 2.  And also totally loved his performance as Tywin.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7397 on: May 17, 2019, 05:59:03 PM »
Considering the average person sticks around at a job for like 2 years these days, it's amazing that they got all the actors to stick around for basically 10 years of filming, promo tours, etc for this show. Not quite the same as a normal job, but it's still a grueling schedule for a good chunk of the year for them. I completely get wanting to move on, despite good money.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:06:00 PM by lordxizor »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7398 on: May 17, 2019, 06:03:01 PM »
Considering the average person sticks around at a job for like 2 years these days, it's amazing that they got all the actors to stick around for basically 10 years of filming, promo tours, etc for this show. Not quite the same as I normal job, but it's still a grueling schedule for a good chunk of the year for them. I completely get wanting to move on, despite good money.

I don't blame them because actors are artists and by playing one role they aren't building themselves much, now granted they are getting exposure, good money, and building a fan base around the character they play, but you are right.  After awhile, they are going to want to do more than just be Arya stark and their off time only allows so much.  But I do wish they'd want to be committed to making a solid show to the end.  It's like when a NFL QB takes less money to build a team around them to have a better chance of winning, take a small hit to build something better, but that's not always best business for the individuals.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7399 on: May 17, 2019, 06:06:56 PM »
But I do wish they'd want to be committed to making a solid show to the end.
I don't think anyone was intentionally not making a solid show. Sometimes despite best laid plans, things just don't work out as well as hoped.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7400 on: May 17, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »
But I do wish they'd want to be committed to making a solid show to the end.
I don't think anyone was intentionally not making a solid show. Sometimes despite best laid plans, things just don't work out as well as hoped.

Yea that comment I made kind of comes off assuming they did not, I'm sure they all did.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7402 on: May 18, 2019, 04:55:39 AM »
Do we see these petitions go viral if there is no legit negative sentiment? Do we see such petitions for how The Avengers was ended? For how Big Bang Theory ended? Last time I saw this much negative reaction to a show's final season is with HIMYM.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7403 on: May 18, 2019, 05:59:39 AM »
If at all, this shows what a huge and almost overwhelming undertaking the story is.

The author isn't able to finish it.
The showrunners weren't able to stay commited to the story to see it through for as many seasons as it would take.
The actors got overwhelmed with the production and wanted to move on.

I mean, and to think that the filming of all three Lord of the Rings movies seemed at the time such a huge and colossal project, that's nothing compared to this  :lol

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #7404 on: May 18, 2019, 07:11:57 AM »
I mean, the cast who've been in it since the first episode have been working on it since about 2009, the showrunners slightly before that. It seems a bit much to imagine they could have demanded people in 2009 to only do it if they were committed to finishing it properly, rather than only being committed for a mere decade.

If anything I think the fact that actors and others want to move on as well shows that it's not a case of showrunners being abnormally negligent and desperate to move on, it's just that they were reaching the limit of how long a group of people in the industry are willing to work on a project like this. Most shows that go on for more than 10 years with the same cast are simpler things to shoot; a few people in front of three cameras and a live studio audience in LA or a major city, animated shows that just require voice work from the actors, things like that. The way actors talk about filming Game Of Thrones it seems it's considered more comparable to filming big films - location shooting, action, night shoots, elaborate costume / make-up, etc. - rather than the type of thing actors would keep as a stable, comfortable gig. Obviously I'm not saying it's some awful hardship in the grand scheme of things - getting paid a few hundred thousand an episode even for exhausting work is still pretty sweet position to be in in life no matter how you look at it - but within the context of the industry working on something like that doesn't seem to be something that people can keep up for years and years indefinitely.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7405 on: May 18, 2019, 09:08:43 AM »
I get not wanting to do more seasons, because 10 years is indeed a long ass time. As someone mentioned above, the actors are also touring for promotions and such (which is also work), hadn't thought of that. But a couple of more episodes with quality dialogue (not the big setpieces that take so much time and money) in both seasons 7 and 8 would've come a long, long way. Many of the series highlights are actually just people talking with each other in a room or some small scale battles/actions/betrayals. And honestly, it is Game of Thrones, there is no reason this many characters have survived like dozens of fake out deaths for over two seasons. If there is one show that could've afforded to cut off some characters it is this one.

Ultimately it was their choice to let most plotlines resolve in the final couple of episodes. And looking at this season, the first two episodes are two hours of super elaborate build up, with loads of fanservice. But then the actual climax moments where major arch resolve are rushed and feels like they are jumping through the plot.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7406 on: May 18, 2019, 09:14:40 AM »
I get not wanting to do more seasons, because 10 years is indeed a long ass time. As someone mentioned above, the actors are also touring for promotions and such (which is also work), hadn't thought of that. But a couple of more episodes with quality dialogue (not the big setpieces that take so much time and money) in both seasons 7 and 8 would've come a long, long way. Many of the series highlights are actually just people talking with each other in a room or some small scale battles/actions/betrayals.

Yea seriously, we could have had so many more brothel dialogue scenes  :biggrin: 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7407 on: May 18, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure after tomorrow night I'm gonna be a really sad panda.  I absolutely love this show and will miss it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7408 on: May 18, 2019, 09:26:03 AM »
Yea totally, end of an era for me

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7409 on: May 18, 2019, 09:37:02 AM »
Well, if you want the feels, go check the video of Jenny of Oldstones released by HBO, some of the matches between lyrics and images will get dust speckles in your eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTa1jHk1Lxc

It feels like an eulogy for an era, I was so caught up in all the drama for the battles (and the disappointment) that I almost forgot there's ONE EPISODE LEFT EVER. "Give me something for the pain and let me die".

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7410 on: May 18, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »
Haven't comment anything about S08 at all because i've reserved my opinion until the end but honestly no matter how the show ends or what I feel about S08 in general it's been one HELL of a ride since I started watching the show back in 2012 and it's without a doubt one of the best shows i've ever watched and I will sorely miss it.  :'(

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7411 on: May 18, 2019, 02:24:55 PM »
Well, if you want the feels, go check the video of Jenny of Oldstones released by HBO, some of the matches between lyrics and images will get dust speckles in your eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTa1jHk1Lxc

It feels like an eulogy for an era, I was so caught up in all the drama for the battles (and the disappointment) that I almost forgot there's ONE EPISODE LEFT EVER. "Give me something for the pain and let me die".
Definitely some dust speckles.... :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7412 on: May 18, 2019, 02:25:55 PM »
Just a shade over 24 hours left till we're left with only unanswerable questions. No matter what happens, the internet will shit itself Monday morning

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7413 on: May 18, 2019, 02:58:24 PM »
Just a shade over 24 hours left till we're left with only unanswerable questions. No matter what happens, the internet will shit itself Monday morning

Agreed. The internet is definitely gonna explode with this one  :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7414 on: May 18, 2019, 04:28:44 PM »
As will HBOs stock price.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7415 on: May 18, 2019, 04:42:29 PM »
The last couple days I have been seeing and reading a lot of disappointment from the actors. Emilia is pretty much not even hiding that she hates the writing of this season. Boy, tomorrow night and next week are gonna be a doozy for the social communities. Hold on to your butts.  :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7416 on: May 18, 2019, 04:49:52 PM »
The memes shall see me through these dark nights.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7417 on: May 18, 2019, 04:55:38 PM »
 :lol

I'm going to play the first 3 episodes of season 8 tonight. Then the final 3 tomorrow. In retrospect it is utterly bizarre that a shortened season kind of feels like 2 seasons crammed into 3 episode arcs apiece. Going to enjoy the last 'big ride.' Cheers, GoT, no matter the quality of the end.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7418 on: May 18, 2019, 06:02:13 PM »
I have been checking out older highlight scenes and am enjoying them a whole lot. So many legendary scenes. This season won't take that from me. As for the finale I am sure I will enjoy the hell out of the memes. And who knows, maybe I will like this one because my expectations are low. But I can't stress enough that this series as a whole is still fantastic and there is nothing comparable out there. It has been a great ride.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7419 on: May 18, 2019, 08:02:54 PM »
I have been checking out older highlight scenes and am enjoying them a whole lot. So many legendary scenes. This season won't take that from me. As for the finale I am sure I will enjoy the hell out of the memes. And who knows, maybe I will like this one because my expectations are low. But I can't stress enough that this series as a whole is still fantastic and there is nothing comparable out there. It has been a great ride.

This is a perfect time to ask: what is everyone's favorite 'dialogue' scene in the show? A scene with little to no action, just two (or more) characters talking. Slap on the wrist for anyone who picks Littlefinger's sexposition scene. I have to admit, going back and watching some of these, the contrast is SO stark (pun unintended) between endgame and early era GoT.

I've been thinking about it since I read your post, ErHaO, and I'm tossing it up between Tywin talking to Jaime while skinning the stag, Cersei and Bobby B just having a normal conversation together, and Tyrion lambasting the crowd at his trial. I'm leaning towards Cersei and Bobby B.