Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 638566 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #7175 on: May 14, 2019, 06:48:49 AM »
Great post ariich! yeah, I agree with the way you see the issue, and the World War II comparison... and it helps to accept better the "Full Targaryen mode" that Dany activated with the war just won.

Maybe with a full 10 episodes season Dany's descent into madness could have been stretched out better... she did talk about ruling with fear rather than with love, but I'm thinking that maybe it could have been better if Varys did reach out for sure to all the lords of Westeros, and Dany would get wind of people's preference for Jon, feeling then even more compelled to show them who's boss.

I guess they'll save that for the final episode - Dany calling the survivors to King's Landing and demanding they bow to the rightful ruler, and people saying "yes... that's why we bow to Aegon Targaryen, screw you crazy lady".

Oh, and this falls on her advisors, I just realized yesterday that she asked for a truce when she was winning (Season 7's last episode) and she demanded unconditional surrender when she was losing (last episode).

The deal offered in last season's finale should have been: "Listen, there are those ice zombies beyond the wall. If you want to join with us, I promise there won't be any hostilites. If you don't want to join and pledge the Lannister army... the survivors will. Because their new queen will order it".

That would have been simplier... Cersei agrees, they're all off to fight the "real war". Cersei disagrees, two dragons fly over the Red Keep, tear it open, pluck her out and toss her in the ocean, and then Dany installs herself as new queen and then commands everyone in Westeros to go up north to prepare for the White Walkers invasion. All that talk of avoiding bloodshed ironically caused the most possible bloodshed.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7176 on: May 14, 2019, 06:57:56 AM »
I don't think I agree with the WWII bombings as a fair comparison. We did that because not doing so would have resulted in millions of more deaths on both sides of the fight. We brought the war to a swift end.   

Dany straight up annihilated the largest standing army in Westeros, and got the second largest one to surrender. She won. The war was over. Lives were no longer at risk. Murdering tens of thousands of innocents and destroying an entire city gained her nothing.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #7177 on: May 14, 2019, 07:02:21 AM »
The Ringer has really good GoT content as well (in reference to people discussing reviews):

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones

Jason Concepcion, especially, is a Maester of unparalleled Thrones knowledge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm59IaQ0MZk
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:09:42 AM by contest_sanity »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7178 on: May 14, 2019, 07:10:25 AM »
The Ringer has really good GoT content as well (in reference to people discussing reviews):

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones

Jason Concepcion, especially, is a Maester of unparalleled Thrones knowledge.

I watch these every monday after the episode, always pretty good.  It's essentially the After the Thrones show HBO had for one season that aired after the show.  I don't know why they stopped doing that, these shows are so popular and this is probably the best one IMO.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1yoKMEmbPXnKQ < link to go to their hour long discussion directly.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #7179 on: May 14, 2019, 07:19:11 AM »
^ I believe this may have been when Bill Simmons (creator of The Ringer site) also had his own show on HBO, and so they were more explicitly in business with one another. The hosts used to be the same whether it was on HBO or just The Ringer. I think HBO is still an investor in The Ringer, but Simmons' show bombed and I guess they severed TV ties at that point.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:24:28 AM by contest_sanity »

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7180 on: May 14, 2019, 07:21:26 AM »
I don't think I agree with the WWII bombings as a fair comparison. We did that because not doing so would have resulted in millions of more deaths on both sides of the fight. We brought the war to a swift end.   

Dany did bring the war with a swift end - using her WMD.

Dany straight up annihilated the largest standing army in Westeros, and got the second largest one to surrender. She won. The war was over. Lives were no longer at risk. Murdering tens of thousands of innocents and destroying an entire city gained her nothing.

That was exactly my point, hence my comparison with a scenario where the USA needllessly continues to drop atomic bombs on Japan.

But hey, that was just the best example I could come up with to explain how I saw it, no need for Game of Thrones to be an exact parallel of World War II, since it was based on the War of the Roses anyway  :D

But airich helped me figure out that it was probably to send a message to the whole of Westeros, "you have to fear me and this is gonna teach you all a lesson".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7181 on: May 14, 2019, 07:23:15 AM »
^ I believe may have been when Bill Simmons (creator of The Ringer site) also had his own show on HBO, and so they were more explicitly in business with one another. The hosts are the same whether it was on HBO or just The Ringer. I think HBO is still an investor in The Ringer, but Simmons' show bombed and I guess they severed TV ties at that point.

ahh, didn't know about any of this.  The one guy doesn't do it anymore I guess though, he was my favorite commentator on the show, but the rest are good and I like how in depth and knowledgeable they are.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #7182 on: May 14, 2019, 07:28:37 AM »
ahh, didn't know about any of this.  The one guy doesn't do it anymore I guess though, he was my favorite commentator on the show, but the rest are good and I like how in depth and knowledgeable they are.
You might be referring to Andy Greenwald? I think he does still do a podcast on The Ringer called The Watch where they discuss popular TV and films.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7183 on: May 14, 2019, 07:37:00 AM »
Yea that guy, I don't personally care about other after shows since I hardly watch anything else anymore.  Honestly feel like GOT is like the end of the TV era.  With streaming being so popular, can there be another huge hit traditional TV show like this that gets everyone so into it again?  Probably, but it may come from Netflix or somewhere else where the Sunday night TV gathering isn't the way it's consumed. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7184 on: May 14, 2019, 07:44:39 AM »
Did you even read my previous post? She wasn't doing it because lives were at risk, she was doing it because she wanted the throne for herself. She didn't win. Winning would mean getting the throne. She'd realised by that point that defeating Cersei wasn't going to get her the throne because of Jon.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7185 on: May 14, 2019, 07:47:07 AM »
Maybe with a full 10 episodes season Dany's descent into madness could have been stretched out better... she did talk about ruling with fear rather than with love, but I'm thinking that maybe it could have been better if Varys did reach out for sure to all the lords of Westeros, and Dany would get wind of people's preference for Jon, feeling then even more compelled to show them who's boss.
Yeah for sure, like I've said a few times I've had issues with a fair bit of the writing and pacing since season 5 and this final season is definitely no different. I guess I'm focusing more on the general logic and overall story arcs which have also been weaker for the last few seasons but I'm still very much enjoying overall and this latest episode helped (in my opinion) a fair bit with.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7186 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:00 AM »
Maybe we are looking at this all wrong.  Maybe Dany didn't "go mad" at all.

Remember, she didn't want to stop the wheel.  She wanted to BREAK the wheel.  The wheel of neverending rule by people who didn't have the interests of the people at heart.  The wheel of subjugation, of the domination of the powerless by the powerful.  That's why she upset the longstanding balance of rule by slavery in Essos.

Maybe her goal was to win the Iron Throne so that she could destroy the Iron Throne.  Maybe her whole goal was to do away with rule of the masses by the few.

Maybe her hope was to do it by being accepted with open arms by the populace, and then using that power to give them all their freedom by self-rule.  But when she saw that this would never be possible, she decided that she would have to use fire and blood to show the people that even a ruler who liberates them from a bad ruler, is still a bad ruler themselves.  To show them that there are no good rulers in reality.  To show them that being ruled is not the best way to live.

Once the bells began to ring, the look on her face was not her going mad, but realizing that the time to break the wheel had come, and she finally realized her terrible purpose.

Just maybe.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7187 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:52 AM »
She was crying when she was staring down the Red Keep. She was full of sadness, anger, humiliation, frustration. Without a loving populace that sees her in a good light, she has nothing. Better to cause fear and destruction. For f&%$'s sake her house's motto is fire and blood. And she's said the entire show she'll take what "is mine, with fire and blood." But according to the Internet, this is all out of nowhere! Complete shock!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #7188 on: May 14, 2019, 07:53:08 AM »
Didn't see anyone complain during Battle of the Bastards with some of its contrived BS.
I was a staunch defender of the show because I was assuming they're trying to do the incredibly difficult job of making everyone come together for the endgame in a way that makes sense. Now we're here at the endgame which has been fed to them directly (and probably at least in some detail) from GRRM, and they're still not able to make it make sense. The reason why people are so angry is because on the surface, the show is still really good. All of the amazing acting, cinematography, music (oh my god the music), directing (with the possible exclusion of the Winterfell battle episode - I guess Sapochnik wanted to experiment on that one) have been put together with a script that's bad by regular TV show standards, not just GoT standards. And the only reason why it's bad is because Dave and Dan have invested minimal effort into it. There were signs of this even back in season 5 - hell, an 18-year-old Maisie Williams had to ask them to tone down her impossible ninja parkour scenes because she couldn't suspend her disbelief. Then the Sand Snakes. Then Stannis getting an off-screen death. Then Jon falling upwards. I just thought they were stumbling because there was minimal direction about how The Winds of Winter would go.

Doubtlessly they will say people are just haters because they hate sad things, because their pet theory didn't come true (everyone's pet theories were time traveling Bran and Targaryen Tyrion, I wouldn't want any of those, that's not the problem  :|), because they love to hate. They will quote "If you think this ends well, you haven't been paying attention", because apparently a throwaway delusional Ramsay quote is now the heart of this show. I hate this because in the end we all lose. If you love the show now, you would have loved it even more if they let Cogman write more episodes.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7189 on: May 14, 2019, 07:55:57 AM »
and they're still not able to make it make sense

Man, I am trying to contain my frustration with the Internet, but this season does make sense. The ONLY two events that do not make sense to me in this season are Aimbot Greyjoy and the Easy Moving Target, and Bran's storyline just apparently going nowhere. Everything else makes perfect sense and can be explained in a logical way.

Seasons 1-6: amazing show! Season 5 was slow but omg so good!
Season 7: Boooo hisssss things are happening TOO fast now!
Season 8: absolutely nothing makes sense this show is dog shit

The fact that certain events DO happen, despite having other ways out of those situations or having better options at hand, DOES NOT mean things don't make sense.

I am so puzzled by this claim that "the script is bad by normal TV standards." What? I think the script is fine. Am I stupid? Do I not watch enough TV? What's the deal? The script is far better than most other TV shows that I have seen in my life. Certainly not perfect, and has gone downhill recently, but it's not THAT bad, come on.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:03:00 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7190 on: May 14, 2019, 08:20:06 AM »
They will quote "If you think this ends well, you haven't been paying attention", because apparently a throwaway delusional Ramsay quote is now the heart of this show.
Mora, I adore you and your passion, but this is where you lose me.  I think that Ned Stark, Catelyn Stark, Rob Stark and his wife Talisa and his army, Hodor, Oberyn Martel, Myrcella Baratheon, Khal Drogo, Yoren, Renly Baratheon, Jeor Mormont, Rickon Stark, Margaery Tyrell, among others, would take exception.  It's ALWAYS been the heart of the show.  There was never going to be a "happily ever after". 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7191 on: May 14, 2019, 08:25:00 AM »
They will quote "If you think this ends well, you haven't been paying attention", because apparently a throwaway delusional Ramsay quote is now the heart of this show.
Mora, I adore you and your passion, but this is where you lose me.  I think that Ned Stark, Catelyn Stark, Rob Stark and his wife Talisa and his army, Hodor, Oberyn Martel, Myrcella Baratheon, Khal Drogo, Yoren, Renly Baratheon, Jeor Mormont, Rickon Stark, Margaery Tyrell, among others, would take exception.  It's ALWAYS been the heart of the show.  There was never going to be a "happily ever after". 
It's also always been at the heart of the books and pretty much everything that GRRM has said about them.

And yeah I've also been loving your observations and insights Mora (whether I agree or not) but similarly there's the odd point that I just don't really understand.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7192 on: May 14, 2019, 08:39:10 AM »
I just ordered this for my bedroom. Next is to get some banners. EDIT: Wait, I really want this, too but the way it cuts off Essos bugs me. :/

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #7193 on: May 14, 2019, 08:45:54 AM »
Personally I feel the whole "people just hate because they like to hate" or blaming the negativity on internet culture is just an easy way to close your eyes and put fingers in your ear and pretend everything is perfect. I think when it comes down to it with people investing years of their life into a tv-show, they want it to end in a satisfying way. I think Breaking Bad was a good example when that show was on. I didn't LOVE the show as much as most fans, but it was a great show that had a final season that went down really well with fans. People were with the show until the end and there was no nonsense about hating the show because that was the cool thing to do like some people say about GoT now.

In the end the quality is all subjective anyways. As an example, Lost remains one of my favorite tv-shows and I really liked it all the way until the end. A lot of people jumped off the wagon before then or thought it declined/got too weird or whatever else. In the end the only opinion that matters is your own.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7194 on: May 14, 2019, 08:49:31 AM »
Except nobody's pretending it's perfect. But I get your point.

Also Breaking Bad was on a much smaller scale. It started to get a little hard to believe once they were, you know, running an international meth operation out of an industrial laundromat, robbing a train by having Bill Burr just stop his truck on the tracks, making meth in a secret underground facility that no government operation is aware of, and then doing it out of people's houses under the guise of pest extermination. It also didn't have to deal with armies, dragons, magic, and an entire continent... it had far fewer characters, as well. Completely different shows, completely different problems, also didn't have to worry about matching things from a source material that never got finished.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7195 on: May 14, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »

I am so puzzled by this claim that "the script is bad by normal TV standards." What? I think the script is fine. Am I stupid? Do I not watch enough TV? What's the deal? The script is far better than most other TV shows that I have seen in my life. Certainly not perfect, and has gone downhill recently, but it's not THAT bad, come on.

Yep, that criticism makes zero sense whatsoever.  Even if you think the writing isn't as good as it was when they were using the books, it is still pretty damn good, for the most part. I have some minor quibbles about last week's episode, but the criticism is so out of hand and over the top now that it's making me laugh. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7196 on: May 14, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »
I think after episode 2 when they were wrapping everything up and not going into anymore story besides the Dany turn, I started to just stop expecting more from the show.  I think that allowed me to enjoy episodes 4 and 5 much more (episode 3 kind of sealed the deal on my thoughts so I hadn't fully accepted that yet).  I think I not only expected, but wanted too, more story from this season, more plots to keep things interesting, but they really just want the "end all" route and it does work in terms of keeping the story consice, but I personally don't find it good writing.  Maybe good enough, but the timing just really doesnt help a show of this magnitude that really was built on great writing and storytelling.  I think all the questionable battle tactics and everything else that people are complaining and nitpicking about are because they wanted to get to the ending and didn't want to go into more detail anymore.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7197 on: May 14, 2019, 10:31:38 AM »
and they're still not able to make it make sense

Man, I am trying to contain my frustration with the Internet, but this season does make sense. The ONLY two events that do not make sense to me in this season are Aimbot Greyjoy and the Easy Moving Target, and Bran's storyline just apparently going nowhere. Everything else makes perfect sense and can be explained in a logical way.

Seasons 1-6: amazing show! Season 5 was slow but omg so good!
Season 7: Boooo hisssss things are happening TOO fast now!
Season 8: absolutely nothing makes sense this show is dog shit

The fact that certain events DO happen, despite having other ways out of those situations or having better options at hand, DOES NOT mean things don't make sense.

You probably have to take into account that some people who thought the show has gone into shitty territory in Seasons 5/6 just don't watch it and don't post in this thread anymore. I remember someone has even left this forum because of this thread during S5 (or was it S6? When they've inserted Sansa into Jeyne Poole arc)

Well shit, now I've posted in this thread. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7198 on: May 14, 2019, 10:37:36 AM »
I think the Jeyne Pool arc was season 5, because that was when her rape by Ramsay occurred.

Also this is an amazingly accurate article explaining why Dany has always been destined for this, why the last episode wasn't sudden at all for her character, and why she's always been a bad queen/ruler.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7199 on: May 14, 2019, 10:54:08 AM »
I think the Jeyne Pool arc was season 5, because that was when her rape by Ramsay occurred.

Also this is an amazingly accurate article explaining why Dany has always been destined for this, why the last episode wasn't sudden at all for her character, and why she's always been a bad queen/ruler.

Still too busy (DAMN YOU WORK!) to post my actual full thoughts, but I did watch that video. I want to point that us saying "that moment wasn't set up" is not saying that Dany was never set up to do bad things, or that nothing about it made sense, or that it was completely out of left field, or anything like that. Just that that specific act was not the logical conclusion of her character. I have specific ways it WOULD have made sense, but I'll go into those later. But yea, don't make the mistake of arguing an extreme point that no one is making. The video does the same thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7200 on: May 14, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »

Still too busy (DAMN YOU WORK!) to post my actual full thoughts, but I did watch that video. I want to point that us saying "that moment wasn't set up" is not saying that Dany was never set up to do bad things, or that nothing about it made sense, or that it was completely out of left field, or anything like that. Just that that specific act was not the logical conclusion of her character. I have specific ways it WOULD have made sense, but I'll go into those later. But yea, don't make the mistake of arguing an extreme point that no one is making. The video does the same thing.

Are you talking about the video you posted yesterday? 'cause I linked an article, not a video. I think the act absolutely is a logical conclusion to her character - the article explains why. Forgive me if I'm genuinely confused by this post, 'cause I am :P

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #7201 on: May 14, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »
Although I'm one of those who was of the view that they had laid the groundwork for Daenerys' character in the previous seasons well enough, and after the first two episodes of this season I was pretty sure this sort of conflict was where it was going, I think that it was somewhat rushed (definitely not out of nowhere) in the way it rapidly escalated in episode 4 and 5 from well laid hints to hitting the extreme plot points that needed to be hit before the end of the series. And while I could talk for days about her previous actions and statements suggesting brutal and tyrannical impulses, I can definitely see how the jump from where she was to "deliberately and methodically burn thousands civiilians of King's Landing" is very extreme.

However, if we're going to decide whether something is sufficiently built up or if it's "just bad writing", it seems fair to me to have a go at really analysing what the show did present us with rather than having an initial, surface level reaction of "What the fuck this seems out of character for Daenerys" and sticking to that, dismissing the possibility that a closer look would inform us at all. (Incidentally this is where I part ways from a lot of the criticism of the show elsewhere the internet this season. I feel too much like many people are viewing it in this kind of meta-way where they see it as their story that other people are wrongly handling, and conversation and criticism mostly is framed in those terms, which makes difficult to have any conversation that treats the story on its own terms).

Some posts here have already made some good points about Daenerys' actions, so I may end up repeating things people already said. But rather than trying to cover it from every angle, I'm going to go back to the Tarlys which I posted about before episode 5. Funnily enough a lot of the points that came from thinking about that situation actually link quite strongly to Daenerys' decision in episode 5.

Part of me feels bad even making a comparison between burning two guys and burning thousands indiscriminately at King's Landing. The two are just so different in scope that it feels like the level of escalation required from one to the other is so extreme that it might seem like you can't draw much from comparing the two. However, regardless of our own sensibilities about the value of individual lives, it can't be ignored that in the context of Game of Thrones, the fate of nobles and their houses are considered extremely important even compared to many lives. When the Lannisters killed all of Ned Stark's guardsmen and servants (dozens or hundreds of people, including innocents), it was bad but there was still a chance for the two sides to make peace. Then they chop off one extra head, and peace is dead, because that was the head of House Stark, and it was symbolically an even greater attack on the North than the slaying of many household guards and servants.

So even though the Tarlys were but two guys, their fate was more meaningful than just two lives within Game Of Thrones because of their status (regardless of our own opinions about it in reality). And what were Daenerys' reasons for burning them? Well, if we take out just a general fondness for righteously burning people, we have:

1. Her purpose was to make an example of them, to ensure others kneel. When she says "If putting people in chains becomes an option, many will take it" she's connecting their fate to what others will see and how they will act. The purpose of burning them is to ensure others know their fate if they don't kneel.
2. Her justification was that it was their decision that led to them being burned. "I gave them a choice. They made it." She wasn't just burning helpless prisoners with no agency (in her mind), she gave them a choice and they faced consequences. However, as I made the case earlier, for Dickon especially the choice presented was not a very reasonable one and it wasn't a responsible use of her power to present him with this sadistic choice.

So with the Tarlys we see Daenerys burn people who had surrendered because it makes an example to others not to follow their path, and she sees it as a result of their own choice (regardless of how fair the choice presented actually is). And while it might be quite a leap to go from killing enemy commanders to killing thousands of civilians, in episode 5 Daenerys' dialogue shows her own twisted logic that brings the situation in King's Landing to the point where she can use those same principles to make her decision.

"That's what she thinks our mercy is: weakness. But she's wrong. Mercy is our strength. Our mercy towards future generations who will never again be held hostage by a tyrant."
You know it's going to be bad once "mercy towards future generations" comes into it. But this shows how the fate of the civilians of King's Landing becomes about more than just the battle for the city, and why Daenerys burns them even after it appears she has already won that battle. Just as the fate of the Tarlys was about the example set to others rather than the immediate need to deal with them, so was the fate of King's Landing. And it's not just to the rest of Westeros outside of King's Landing - it's to "future generations" throughout Westeros.

But, in the case of the Tarlys the example to others was to "kneel or burn". Right or wrong you can at least see what the message is. What's the message in burning civilians of King's Landing after breaking through the opposing army's defences? Well, this is revealed by Daenerys' dialogue as well:

TYRION: The people who live there, they're not your enemies. They're innocents, like the ones you liberated in Meereen.
DAENERYS: In Meereen, the slaves turned on the masters and liberated the city themselves the moment I arrived.

As far as Daenerys sees it, not only did Cersei and the opposing army make their choice, but the people of King's Landing made their choice as well by not overthrowing Cersei the moment Daenerys showed up. When Tyrion tells her the people are hostages, she even says "Whose fault is that? Mine?" I think that the quote above shows that not only does she not see it as her fault, she sees it as the people's fault as much as their ruler's. Of course, the "choice" that the people of King's Landing made was between accepting the rule of their current oppressor or rising up in violent rebellion that would get many of them killed. The audience probably sympathises with unarmed civilians not rising up and doesn't hold them responsible, but as far as Daenerys is concerned they chose their fate just like Dickon Tarly did. And the message to every individual in Westeros, present and future, is that if you even tacitly support any other ruler by not violently rising up against them, you're going to burn. That's a message she hopes will serve well when anyone starts talking about someone else having a competing claim.

When she decided to "Let it be fear", she gave up on trying to secure her rule by other means. It might seem that the burning of civilians after already winning in the field and gaining the surrender of the city didn't serve that purpose as that should already cause enough fear. But considering the reasons behind Daenerys burning of the Taryls (after they were defeated in the field and had surrendered) and Daenerys' dialogue in episode 5 we can see how the act of torching King's Landing follows on from it in terms of Daenerys' mindset, even if it's on a much, much bigger scale.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:16:23 AM by RuRoRul »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7202 on: May 14, 2019, 11:07:55 AM »
To expand on Katt's post, I would agree that it's very much *a* logical conclusion particularly based on the events on the last season or two, though that doesn't mean it was inevitable and may well not have happened had events turned out differently. And that's exactly how they kept many fans hoping it wouldn't happen (and apparently more casual fans from even realising it was a possibility).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7203 on: May 14, 2019, 11:19:58 AM »
Wonderful post, RuRoRul.  :tup I also agree with ariich; it's the outcome that happened, but not the only one that could have occurred, had things gone differently, or Dany checked herself.

Offline Adami

« Reply #7204 on: May 14, 2019, 11:40:30 AM »

Are you talking about the video you posted yesterday? 'cause I linked an article, not a video. I think the act absolutely is a logical conclusion to her character - the article explains why. Forgive me if I'm genuinely confused by this post, 'cause I am :P

The link you put has an article and a video that says what the article says.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7205 on: May 14, 2019, 11:42:25 AM »
Oh my bad. I never watch those videos and it didn't load for me, so I scrolled straight to the text. Gotcha  :facepalm:

Offline Adami

« Reply #7206 on: May 14, 2019, 11:43:51 AM »
Oh my bad. I never watch those videos and it didn't load for me, so I scrolled straight to the text. Gotcha  :facepalm:

No worries. I try to read as little as possible on principle. :D
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7207 on: May 14, 2019, 12:02:11 PM »
Can't we get RuRoRol to do the "Inside the episode" aftershows? at least he'd do a better job at explaining stuff than Mr. "Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet"  :lol :tup

Well, the article is nice, but it explains mainly all the times Dany was ruthless, and her path to be a conqueror.... not a mass murderer. Yes, as the article said, she did the only thing she knew how to do, conquer, but the conquest was done before the mass destruction began.

RuRoRol made a better job at explaining her mindset using the Tarly example. But in the article there's a troubling quote:

(Note: The showrunners have said Daenerys burned King’s Landing spontaneously because she got mad while looking at the Red Keep, as it was a “symbol of everything that was taken from her.” I think this is stupid and I don’t agree with it.)

Well, but the problem is.... they are the showrunners. They decided it and wrote it and that's then the reason. Find all the connections you want between Metropolis part 1 and Scenes from a Memory - once the band themselves comes out and say "We were only half joking when we called the first song Part 1", it means only one thing, that pulling out Scenes from a Memory was a clever retroactive decision, not something planned since the days of Images and Words.

So the official explanation for reaching the plot point they desperately needed to reach, Dany goes full Targaryen, is "She got pissed off at the sight of the Red Keep". And that's it. Just like with Tyrion talking about the baby - look, it's really no big deal. There was no need of Euron showing jealousy or whatever. I didn't even pay attention to it, but many people did, and brought it up, "How can Tyrion know Cersei is pregnant if Euron just found out?" someone here, Kattelox probably, gave a logical answer, "He doesn't care, he's not in love, he just wants to be the king and screw the queen". But the authors insted said that "Euron wasn't paying attention". My bet is they literally didn't realize they wrote in a potential reason for trouble between Euron and Cersei, and they waved it away because it didn't amount to anything in the endgame.

Just like Jaimie going back to Cersei - many people pointed out "Oh, come on, he was shunning away Brienne because he's bent on killing Cersei, read between the lines"... no, there was no second guessing to do, he just ran back to Cersei.

I fully accept that I might not be one to get all the things in all the shows, but the show itself, by the golden rule of "Show, don't tell", should already explain me all the reasonings of the characters. Not some random fans on a forum who do a better job at explaining and pointing out motivations than the authors themselves do in interviews.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7208 on: May 14, 2019, 12:05:54 PM »
But then using that logic, this goes back to what I and others brought up last week about episode 4. If the showrunners' word is gospel, then they contradicted themselves, because Dany "forgot about the Iron Fleet" yet was talking about it in the war room at Winterfell. And the article does explain how she became an increasingly more hostile murderer. She murdered over 150 people in a single city. And she's always done it with fire. A conqueror has to murder many people in their world. Not to the scale of King's Landing, but she has a lot of blood on her hands by the time she's queen of Meereen. (I hate that I love this world so much that I can't let some of this stuff go. I get it, it's just a show/story in the end.)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7209 on: May 14, 2019, 12:15:49 PM »
MirrorMask, keep in mind that the show runners get misquoted or quoted out of context. What they said on this occasion was that she didn't plan to do it and that it was a snap decision because of what had happened. That doesn't mean her story arc wasn't already going in that direction or that it was a completely new idea, only that she didn't decide in advance that she was going to kill everyone.

I be am boner inducing.