Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 639497 times)

Offline masterthes

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #6440 on: April 28, 2019, 08:37:38 PM »
Yeah, miraculously Drogon is still alive. So proud of Arya, the savior of Winterfell. I would like to have think that Bran would have done something, but chances are he knew what was going to happen

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6441 on: April 28, 2019, 08:38:58 PM »
I need a living/dead list lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6442 on: April 28, 2019, 08:40:05 PM »
Few very quick thoughts that I assume not everyone is going to say, so I'll skip the obvious ones that will be said a bunch soon.

1) I still hold that crypt zombies was stupid. The sad part, however, is that it also served no real purpose. They could have not done that and it would not have changed a single thing about the episode. Shame.
2) I have no idea why, but for some reason, during the super slow motion (like wayyyyy too slow motion) approach of Night King to Bran, a weird part of me half expected Bran to say something like "Hello...(insert dude's real name here)" and have that be some weird plot twist. Happy to see Arya do a crazy ninja assassination instead.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6443 on: April 28, 2019, 08:43:54 PM »
Wasn't the dragon at the end with Dany Drogon? Or was it Rhaegal, couldn't see for shit sometimes. Also that Dragon battle was just ridiculous. There are a few things that were just kinda eh. but I think almost everything else made up for it, way too many amazing things.

The night king not flinching when Dany said Dracarys. Arya was a total badass this whole episode and I did not see that last scene coming. We have 3 more episodes of regular GOT stuff remaining and I'm loving the fact that now the ending will be focused on Cersei vs everyone else. No more white walker disturbances.

Wish we knew what happened to Ghost, my guess is he's gone. So many undead returns!

when the Night king raised all those dead, goosebumps!The dead rising in the crypts gave me a oh shit moment!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

« Reply #6444 on: April 28, 2019, 08:47:48 PM »
I need a living/dead list lol

One of those lists will be very long. One will be very short.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6445 on: April 28, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »
Few very quick thoughts that I assume not everyone is going to say, so I'll skip the obvious ones that will be said a bunch soon.

1) I still hold that crypt zombies was stupid. The sad part, however, is that it also served no real purpose. They could have not done that and it would not have changed a single thing about the episode. Shame.
2) I have no idea why, but for some reason, during the super slow motion (like wayyyyy too slow motion) approach of Night King to Bran, a weird part of me half expected Bran to say something like "Hello...(insert dude's real name here)" and have that be some weird plot twist. Happy to see Arya do a crazy ninja assassination instead.

So the night king is supposed to be discriminate in who he resurrects? Only the dead above ground, but not those already interred?  Made perfect sense to me that if he raises the dead, he will raise ALL the dead, not just the ones that are only recently dead.

Offline Adami

« Reply #6446 on: April 28, 2019, 08:55:09 PM »
That's not what I meant.

As soon as they said to send people to the crypts, I think EVERY fan of this show predicted that they would raise those dead. We had lengthy discussions about it in this thread.

The main characters in the show know everything we know. What's dumb isn't that he raised crypt zombies. It's that no one in the show predicted it. It's lazy writing. Sorry.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6447 on: April 28, 2019, 09:12:24 PM »
The crypts idea didn't bother me as much. I'm very curious about what Bran's warging. I'm going to assume they will touch on it next episode. I didn't expect they would resolve the Night Kings arc that soon. I'm kinda glad they did, I was semi expecting him to take over Westeros.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

« Reply #6448 on: April 28, 2019, 09:14:13 PM »
The crypts idea didn't bother me as much. I'm very curious about what Bran's warging. I'm going to assume they will touch on it next episode. I didn't expect they would resolve the Night Kings arc that soon. I'm kinda glad they did, I was semi expecting him to take over Westeros.

Yea, like I said, it didn't ruin the episode for me. Not at all. But I can enjoy the episode and still call out what I consider bad writing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6449 on: April 28, 2019, 09:23:39 PM »
Yeah there are definitely things that could've been done a lot tighter, I think the Dothraki blindly running in the dark was kinda head scratching even though it looked fucking amazing.

The lord of light did lighten the screen with her fires, she should've brightened the TV screens too lol.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6450 on: April 28, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »
Haven't read anyone's thoughts yet... had a couple buddies over so I wasn't able to fully concentrate the way I usually do. But I thought that was absolutely incredible. One of the best episodes ever. On the edge of my seat the whole time.

I don't think the Night King is gone for good. No way... that death was amazing, but I don't think he's out, somehow. That's too easy.

What an awesome f'ing episode... wow wow wow.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6451 on: April 28, 2019, 09:30:42 PM »
The main characters in the show know everything we know. What's dumb isn't that he raised crypt zombies. It's that no one in the show predicted it. It's lazy writing. Sorry.

Well, where else are they supposed to go? There literally isn't anywhere to go, and if there ARE secret paths for them to take, they clearly aren't aware of them. Doesn't sound like lazy writing to me, it sounds like helpless citizens trapped in the crypts as a last ditch effort for safety with no knowledge of anywhere else to go. Just my two cents
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #6452 on: April 28, 2019, 09:32:21 PM »

Well, where else are they supposed to go? There literally isn't anywhere to go, and if there ARE secret paths for them to take, they clearly aren't aware of them. Doesn't sound like lazy writing to me, it sounds like helpless citizens trapped in the crypts as a last ditch effort for safety with no knowledge of anywhere else to go. Just my two cents

Defend it all you want dude. It's lazy writing that nobody in the show even thought of it. Put 4-5 armed soldiers down there. Give everyone a god damn knife. No one had weapons except for Sansa.

I know you liked the episode, I did too, but it doesn't have to be perfect. It's okay to recognize flaws in things you like.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6453 on: April 28, 2019, 09:36:16 PM »

Defend it all you want dude. It's lazy writing that nobody in the show even thought of it. Put 4-5 armed soldiers down there. Give everyone a god damn knife. No one had weapons except for Sansa.

I know you liked the episode, I did too, but it doesn't have to be perfect. It's okay to recognize flaws in things you like.

Chill... I don't defend everything 100%... but again, where were they supposed to go? You think Sansa has any capacity for combat? They needed every able body out there on the field. I never said it was perfect.. ease up. Literally all I'm saying is that I don't think it's "lazy writing" but you can have your opinion just as well as I can have mine

Offline Adami

« Reply #6454 on: April 28, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »
It's all good man.

I'm going to call it lazy writing. That we all knew something would happen and no one in the show did, when we all had the same info. It didn't ruin much for me, so I don't care in the end.

I just see, more and more, people liking things a whole lot and deciding that it was flawless and going into major defensive mode to make sure it was perfect, as if imperfection couldn't be enjoyed.

If it didn't bother you, cool. I am not saying it should have. I honestly thought it would ruin the episode for me, since we all saw it coming, but in the end it didn't at all. But even if it didn't bother me much, I just can't see it as anything other than lazy writing. Like I said, it's just the fact that no character predicted what every fan did. It's not about the logic of putting them down there, or the logic of the Night King raising the dead, etc. Just the stupidity of the characters to not see it coming.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6455 on: April 28, 2019, 09:41:47 PM »
I mean... stupidity is human. I think that's perfectly in line with what the show is, that's partially why I'm not so critical about it... anyway, is Rhaegal dead?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6456 on: April 28, 2019, 09:43:17 PM »
Jorah's death absolutely gutted me. :( :(

Glad to see the Night King go down, as the whole raising the dead thing was never one of the more interesting things about the show.  Will be interesting to see how the North and their depleted man power strategizes in going against the south.

And Arya...always the bad ass. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Adami

« Reply #6457 on: April 28, 2019, 09:45:04 PM »
Jorah's death absolutely gutted me. :( :(

Glad to see the Night King go down, as the whole raising the dead thing was never one of the more interesting things about the show.  Will be interesting to see how the North and their depleted man power strategizes in going against the south.

And Arya...always the bad ass. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Totally agree. As soon as we saw Night King I realized that they had to wrap up their story this episode. Glad they did, and they did it brilliantly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6458 on: April 28, 2019, 09:50:21 PM »

Totally agree. As soon as we saw Night King I realized that they had to wrap up their story this episode. Glad they did, and they did it brilliantly.

For sure. I could quibble about the many close calls some of the main characters go out of - how in the hell did Jon Snow survive being surrounded by so many raised undead when he went to attack the Night King? - but it's fiction, so I will let it slide.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6459 on: April 28, 2019, 10:07:52 PM »
Lyanna Mormont, that giant did not stand a chance.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6460 on: April 28, 2019, 10:11:43 PM »
Lyanna Mormont, that giant did not stand a chance.

I'm so glad they gave her the most epic death of the series, she deserved it.

And Arya......I went from fucking gutted to full on screaming for joy in the time it took her to drop that knife. God what a fantastic episode!!!!

As to the rest, I'm sure I'll need to watch it at least two more times to fully process it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6461 on: April 28, 2019, 10:15:53 PM »
Kinda glad Lyanna bit the bullet honestly. Feels like they've been leaning into the fanservice hard with her. Yeah she's got a mouth on her but I feel like any of the old northern lords would've told her to shut up and sit down by now at least once. But that was a brutal death. RIP.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6462 on: April 28, 2019, 10:23:08 PM »
I just read/remembered that Bran had given that dagger to Arya last season. That whole ending sequence was breathtaking and the music along with it just had me on the edge.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6463 on: April 28, 2019, 10:59:31 PM »
This was just a huge episode, there was so much that was great in it, a couple of things that I could quibble with, mostly though it's a feeling of it being quite hard to process and take in everything that happened and the part of the story that's ended.

I was pretty split before the episode about whether they'd deal with the White Walker threat here or not. But when it was clear the army of the dead wasn't being stopped and other way (and I think it was done brilliantly) I knew that they had to kill the Night King by the end of the episode... Unless the second half of the season was genuinely going to be about the Night King winning and finishing off the rest of Westeros with most of the main characters gone. The Night King's walk to meet Bran and the score were brilliant... And Melisandre in this episode was fantastic - it was speculated she might arrive but I genuinely thought she might only show up in the south.

Rather than spreading the action and death of the Long Night through different parts of a season, the show went for containing it within one episode but then pushing the death and horror to the absolute limit within that one episode. I think it'll be a divisive choice, I can already see people online complaining that the White Walkers were defeated so easily after seasons of buildup, but I think that's partly because it's hard for some to realise that this was the climactic battle of the White Walker storyline because it was the first battle of the season. But ultimately I think that even though it was in some sense short (only three episodes since they broke through the Wall), I think that this one episode did deliver what was basically the entirety of the Battle for the Dawn.

Maybe we could have seen or somehow understood (perhaps some sort of vision sequence) something more between Bran and the Night King, but personally I still felt it was a satisfying conclusion. I think the reality that basically everything related to the White Walkers was going to be unspoken and only understood through actions and visuals means that those who want (or think that they want - I believe that people in general are notoriously bad at being able to tell what they actually want out of any story) to get a huge infodump that "explains" the White Walkers better than we already understood then (ideally one that validates their pet fan theory) were going to be sorely disappointed.

The Night King was the big villain of the high fantasy part of this story, a being that was created as a weapon against humanity and life in general, a personification of the supernatural forces of winter and night within the world of ASOIAF. He and the White Walkers were intelligent and strategic, they were certainly not mindless, and some complexity was implied by their actions and the symbolism associated with them, but ultimately though it came from an alien and inhuman mindset, their motivation was utterly hostile to life and light. That makes them simple villains in a way, but honestly while I like the extra depth and complexity implied by the White Walker's actions I was never moved by any theory of them actually having more human motivations or that his was all just some big misunderstanding that could be cleared up. They were a force of darkness straight out of high fantasy, and this episode was the climactic confrontation with that force, and I think it execute the climax of that dark high fantasy story excellently.

Oh, and we still have about 3 hours (or more) to go. In a way it's hard to imagine. There is a fairly simple conflict between Cersei and the survivors of Winterfell still to come but I think the real meat of the season will be the slightly more complex conflicts between the surviving characters of the show, and how they deal with each other now that the apocalyptic threat appears to be over and with the backdrop of a battle for King's Landing.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:10:53 AM by RuRoRul »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6464 on: April 29, 2019, 05:12:35 AM »
Yeah, miraculously Drogon is still alive. So proud of Arya, the savior of Winterfell. I would like to have think that Bran would have done something, but chances are he knew what was going to happen

I actually thought he was going to do something at the end. I didn't expect Arya to show up.

I personally loved the episode, I thought it was filmed incredibly as well.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6465 on: April 29, 2019, 05:50:35 AM »
That was not how I was expecting the episode to end. So what, the whole winter threat is over now? Does that mean the last 3 episodes are all focused on the politics / war for the throne etc? That's pretty surprising if so.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6466 on: April 29, 2019, 05:50:49 AM »
Main criticism, It was hard to see what was going on in parts from being too dark.

Besides that It was decent. So glad the Night king is dead and we can go back to the Human on human war/politics dynamic to end the show out. I enjoyed the dead stuff for the most part, but I loved the show way more before it started to take center stage.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6467 on: April 29, 2019, 05:57:03 AM »
I'm not good at writing long winded reviews on stuff, so per usual, I will bullet point my thoughts.   

- This episode was okay. I'd give it a 6/10. It felt too Hollywood for me. I feel kind of robbed.

- Way to go Theon

- The Dothroki having all their swords ignite was really cool, and to see them get wiped out in all of 30 seconds was pretty wild.

- I've been calling the crypts thing for like 3 seasons now, but I think they blew the opportunity. What came of it? Just some mayhem for the screen? I suspect at the very least Sam will learn that either Gilly or Little Sam is dead.

- Lady Mormont's death was fucking badass

- It was cool seeing Dany finally pick up a weapon other than her Dragon

- Where's Tormund?

- What was the point of Bran warging into those ravens?

- The Hound wimping out felt out of place too. Didn't seem like him at all.

- I had all the lights in my house off and the brightness on my TV cranked up, and I still couldn't see half the stuff going on. The camera cuts were so rapid, I couldn't tell who was who half the time. The whole pacing of the episode felt very off.

- Where the hell did Arya come from? The Night King was in the middle of the courtyard and she somehow made it over his posse to deliver the final blow? Was she hiding in the tree or something? Speaking of Arya, that stealth scene in the library or whatever it was felt kind of out of place for some reason. Was there a point to that other than to show off her ninja skills?

- So. Much. Plot. Armor. Holy shit. I'm almost disappointed with how few characters died. Not necessarily because they didn't die, but because of the set ups. I swear I saw BoT die on like 3 different occasions. Same with Grey Worm. Jaime, Brienne, and Pod all made it out alive after being pinned against a wall for like 20 minutes, yet the Dothroki got smothered in seconds? Jon somehow making it out when surrounded by like 1000 walkers. Dany not being able to get her dragon off the ground despite Jon's being able to brawl with the NK mid-flight? Sam spent half the episode on the ground and he still managed to make it out. Thousands of people died and somehow like 85% of the main characters got out with all their limbs. I'm sorry, but that's more fan fiction and Hollywood than what I've come to expect from this show.

- What was the point of Season 7 now? So much of that season was spent on going beyond the wall to get a dead guy to convince Cersei to fight with the North because they wouldn't win the battle otherwise. Yet here we are. 

Prediction: The Night King isn't dead. He's been built up this entire time, for years. I refuse to believe that that's how he goes out.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 06:11:27 AM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6468 on: April 29, 2019, 06:11:07 AM »
Duplicate post.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6469 on: April 29, 2019, 06:13:00 AM »

- What was the point of Season 7 now? So much of that season was spent on going beyond the wall to get a dead guy to convince Cersei to fight with the North because they wouldn't win the battle otherwise. Yet here we are. 

They barely won, by a fraction of a second.  If Arya hadn't gotten to the Night King when she did, Jon would have faced down a dragon on his own and died, and Jorah would have died and left Dany surrounded by wights and alone, surely losing her as well.  Bran would be death and Winterfell would have been overcome in seconds.

Despite such few big deaths (five by my count - Jorah, Theon, Beric, Edd, Melisandre - though this is more big name characters to die in one episode than The Red Wedding), this wasn't an easy win for the north.   If they had the Lannister army, they wouldn't have won by the skin of their teeth and would have had a better chance from the start.  They tried to get Cersei to believe them and she said no.  They had to fight the Night King on their own.  Pure strategy on Cersei's part - let them get decimated and then their weaker army will be easier to fight for the throne.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #6470 on: April 29, 2019, 06:14:39 AM »
I enjoyed the episode but I did not love it, and it might be my least favorite "battle episode" of the series. I wish I could explain exactly why, but I'm just going to be honest and say that something about it did not connect with me as deeply as expected. However, I am looking very forward to next week, which will presumably be another setup episode before the big battle at King's Landing.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6471 on: April 29, 2019, 06:17:33 AM »
- The Hound wimping out felt out of place too. Didn't seem like him at all.
The Hound has a serious paralysing fear of fire because what his brother did to his face, so actually I thought that was a good scene. I agree with many of your other criticisms though.

I can't commit to an opinion yet because we have three episodes to go. But if that really is the end of the night king/wights/winter is coming story then it will have been seriously disappointing, much as the episode was extremely entertaining and tense to watch (the bits I could see anyway).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6472 on: April 29, 2019, 06:23:35 AM »
Besides that It was decent. So glad the Night king is dead and we can go back to the Human on human war/politics dynamic to end the show out. I enjoyed the dead stuff for the most part, but I loved the show way more before it started to take center stage.
While the human politics side of the show has always been more engaging, I've always found it particularly exciting because of the threat in the background, and the idea that petty human squabbles over who rules is meaningless when bigger issues (like climate change) are going on. If this really is the end of the undead stuff and it turns out after 7.5 seasons that those "bigger issues" could actually be defeated with one big battle where very few main characters died, and the rest of the show will just be about who rules as though that's the most important thing, then that will be extremely meh for me because it goes against one of the key themes of the story.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6473 on: April 29, 2019, 06:28:15 AM »
Prediction: The Night King isn't dead. He's been built up this entire time, for years. I refuse to believe that that's how he goes out.
Nah, I think D&D thought they would wrap it all up in a satisfying way (and despite seeing some disgruntlement, including my own, most people seem to be lapping this episode up 100%) and then shift focus. They've been sidelining and/or fucking up characters/plots for a couple of seasons now to rush us to whatever the ending is going to be, the army of the dead and The Night King clearly must not have a part in that ending, so now they're just...gone.

I guess anyone who wanted to know more about the White Walkers will have to just wait for the prequel series they're making about The Long Night. ::) A conflict against the White Walkers that lasted "a generation" and didn't even result in The Night King being destroyed. They must have been some shit fighters if they couldn't get it done in a single battle like this lot did.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6474 on: April 29, 2019, 06:44:21 AM »
If that episode would have ended with the Night King and Bran staring at each other, it would have gone down as the single worst episode of GoT... to me anyway.

Completely redeemed by 10 seconds of psycho ninja Arya! In fact, they could have easily edited 45 minutes out of this show and primarily stuck with Arya's experience in the battle and I would have been happy. She showed tension and fear of the unknown while waiting and watching from the wall. She went all superhero when the wights finally got to the wall (as Davos witnessed). Then she became truly scared for her life when they started to overrun her, finally fleeing for her life and hiding in the library. Loved the library rescue, Dondarrion's death scene (he done what he came back to do), and (of course) Arya facing her fear and doing what no one else was capable of.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens