Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 639313 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #6405 on: April 24, 2019, 08:40:57 AM »
On their way to the TER's weirwood tree-cave, yeah, there was one wight whose hands shot up from the snow and grabbed Jojen's legs, which turned into a scuffle with that merry group and the wight. The way his arm shoots up from the snow makes it look like the wight was coming up from underground, but there's not a whole lot of earth being shown so perhaps it was just a frozen corpse in some snow...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6406 on: April 24, 2019, 08:42:45 AM »
On their way to the TER's weirwood tree-cave, yeah, there was one wight whose hands shot up from the snow and grabbed Jojen's legs, which turned into a scuffle with that merry group and the wight. The way his arm shoots up from the snow makes it look like the wight was coming up from underground, but there's not a whole lot of earth being shown so perhaps it was just a frozen corpse in some snow...

Yea, I don't think it was breaking through stone, but to raise a frozen corpse under snow seems plausible.  But those bodies were also pretty decomposed.  Maybe we are just thinking too deeply here too. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6407 on: April 24, 2019, 08:53:21 AM »

Yea, I don't think it was breaking through stone, but to raise a frozen corpse under snow seems plausible.  But those bodies were also pretty decomposed.  Maybe we are just thinking too deeply here too.

This is why I am going to miss this show so much. Sure, it's a great show in and of itself, but discussing it has become something I look forward to almost as much as watching it. When I was smoking up a meat storm last Saturday, one of my good buddies came over and it made for so much good conversation. Not just theories and future predictions, but reflections, and things we noticed. Talking about the world, and the map, and all the stuff we've seen along the way. It's almost more than a show at this point.   

The worst part about this show ending isn't going to be show being over. It's going to be the end of this kind of weekly banter and speculation. r/freefolk on Reddit is going to become a ghost town in a matter of months. It's going to be sad. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6408 on: April 24, 2019, 08:56:35 AM »
Totally agree, Chino... I went out to dinner with a friend last night and we spent the better part of 2 hours discussing Game of Thrones, the last couple episodes, and where it's heading. I'm really going to miss that. Good thing I have Westworld to sink my teeth into 100% after this is over.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6409 on: April 24, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »
Question since my memory fails me... Did bran ever tell anyone that it was Jamie that pushed him out the window?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6410 on: April 24, 2019, 10:15:28 AM »
Question since my memory fails me... Did bran ever tell anyone that it was Jamie that pushed him out the window?

Doesn't seem so, best indication being the scene between Jaime and Bran in the Godswood. Jaime asked about that, and Bran said something like, "You won't be of any use if my family kills you before the battle" or something.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6411 on: April 24, 2019, 10:25:34 AM »

Doesn't seem so, best indication being the scene between Jaime and Bran in the Godswood. Jaime asked about that, and Bran said something like, "You won't be of any use if my family kills you before the battle" or something.
Indeed and I loved Jamie's answer of "What about after the battle?"

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6412 on: April 24, 2019, 10:52:43 AM »
How do you know?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #6413 on: April 24, 2019, 09:59:19 PM »

Wonder if that's serving a higher purpose then, that Bran knows Jaime is crucial to the outcome against the dead army or something.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6414 on: April 25, 2019, 03:34:06 AM »
I guess it will be fun to look back on these two episodes and realize how much foreshadowing has been dropped.

Last episode basically we said "goodbye" to everyone, so it's difficult to figure out who lives and who dies. If, say, we'd get an episode of tension and political scheming and we'd see only the single scene of Grey Worm discussing a solo carrer with Melisandre, we'd kinda know he's marked for death, but everyone basically had their "last nice moment before dying" scene so we don't really know.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6415 on: April 25, 2019, 06:13:20 AM »
We all know Starks are in stone down there, but are there other burials?  I just wonder how much their truly is to the crypts.  The Starks rising out of the stone seems unlikely to me, but we know they can be resurrected just as skeletons so the decomposing part doesn't seem to be an issue, it's just if they are together enough to form a body that can move I guess.  If there's more burials down there not in stone, I don't see why those couldn't rise.  If the Starks are stone mummies though, that will be really dumb IMO. 

My thinking at this point, we know there's a hidden way in/out of Winterfell through the crypts and Theon knows this.  I'm thinking it's more likely the escape route when Winterfell falls, than the choke point of death, although also a strong possibility.   Theon maybe leading the way but staying back to by time as his final sacrifice seems possible.  And I do think Winterfell falls and the survivors go off to Pyke to recover.  Maybe Dragonstone, but I think the show has mentioned Pyke being safe a couple times.
The Starks are buried in stone - just the kings afaik, plus Lyanna. They were buried with iron swords, and we know in the books WWs and wights don't like iron, so maybe that's a mechanism to prevent dead Starks from rising. In the books Ned mentions that some of the iron swords have rusted away, so maybe that's a way for some of them to rise. The mythical guy who built the crypts is the same guy who built the Wall, so he knew about the threat of WWs, the question is whether the stone is enough to keep the dead from rising and the iron swords are added weapons for anyone who would want to retreat to the crypt and fight the enemy there, or if the swords are what would keep the dead inside.

This post must have subconsciously triggered a dream I had last night.   

It was the very end of the series and the few remaining characters were making their last stand/were about to die in the iron throne room in King's Landing. Short on weapons, they literally ripped (unrealistic, I know) the iron throne apart and used the swords to eventually defeat the Night King. Once all was said and done, and the threat of winter was defeated, there was no more iron throne to fight for.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6416 on: April 25, 2019, 06:14:26 AM »
I guess it will be fun to look back on these two episodes and realize how much foreshadowing has been dropped.

Last episode basically we said "goodbye" to everyone, so it's difficult to figure out who lives and who dies. If, say, we'd get an episode of tension and political scheming and we'd see only the single scene of Grey Worm discussing a solo carrer with Melisandre, we'd kinda know he's marked for death, but everyone basically had their "last nice moment before dying" scene so we don't really know.

The only character that seem to be 100% safe in the next episode is Bronn.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6417 on: April 25, 2019, 06:48:19 AM »
I wouldn't even say that, since he is coming north and carrying Joffrey's crossbow.   My bet is Euron doesn't die  :lol

But that's a cool idea of ripping the iron throne apart for the weapons.  Maybe get a dragon to breath fire to the base to melt it so you could rip the swords out of it, would be really cool.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6418 on: April 25, 2019, 06:57:51 AM »
What about the Night King defeats everyone, sees the throne, sits on it just for the hell of it and pinches himself inadvertently with a sword of valaryian steel, dying and killing every White Walker in the process?

:rollin

But seriously, maybe it's a bit too much clichè, but literally destroying the Iron Throne to have weapons is not such a bad idea.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6419 on: April 25, 2019, 08:58:33 AM »
Saw this online pertaining to the song Poddrick sung.....would certainly fit the 'bittersweet' ending that Martin as eluded to??

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6420 on: April 25, 2019, 10:19:43 AM »
That's basically how it happened for Robert Baratheon.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6421 on: April 25, 2019, 10:48:26 AM »
That would be truly fantastic.

I for one loved the second episode. I have a feeling it will go down in history as the most sentimental and touching episode of the series. It truly sends chills down the spine.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6422 on: April 25, 2019, 03:26:07 PM »
I am not feeling it thus far. A lot of characters kind feel off and have plot armor since the last two seasons. The more hollywood blockbuster feel of last season, with all character warping all around the world to serve the plot, wasn't a problem for me because it delivered on the blockbuster moments. Great action and setpieces. But thus far this season has been boring. Understandably due to the situation the character are in and the need to build up, but boring nonetheless. There were some great moments though. But those only paid off because of the excellent past seasons and not due to any interesting new developments or situations of this or last season. And to be honest, I am getting a bit tired of Dany and Cersei and also Jon to a lesser extent. A lot of the character now border on being a bit one note and there hasn't been a lot in terms of character development for most of them for a good while now. I do really like Jaime's story though.

But shit is going down this week, so at least I expect a really entertaining/emotional episode. I expect quite a few characters to bite the dust.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6423 on: April 26, 2019, 03:47:44 PM »
This is why I am going to miss this show so much. Sure, it's a great show in and of itself, but discussing it has become something I look forward to almost as much as watching it. When I was smoking up a meat storm last Saturday, one of my good buddies came over and it made for so much good conversation. Not just theories and future predictions, but reflections, and things we noticed. Talking about the world, and the map, and all the stuff we've seen along the way. It's almost more than a show at this point.   

The worst part about this show ending isn't going to be show being over. It's going to be the end of this kind of weekly banter and speculation. r/freefolk on Reddit is going to become a ghost town in a matter of months. It's going to be sad.
I hear ya. The day I gathered with my friend group to watch the entire first season together (we were all ASOIAF freaks) was one of the most beautiful days of my life. I drifted in and out of the show along the way but this fandom has meant so much to me.

But, speculation isn't nearly over for me after the show dies! Then begins the race of the ultimate anticipation - will GRRM finish the sixth book at all or not?  :lol how different will it be from the show? Then, if he finishes it, we will speculate about how the seventh book is gonna go down, and if he will finish that one! This ride will last us like 10 more years  :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6424 on: April 26, 2019, 06:09:27 PM »
I definitely have plenty of my own personal memories watching this show including watching the whole series last year with my gf to catch her up (which maybe was my favorite of my many viewings of the show) but I think I've lost interest in the books.  I've lost hope and I kind of don't care anymore.  There's no way he finishes the books at this point IMO and while he could finish the next one and maybe one more in his life, since the story likely won't end in his books and the story is so deep at this point, I just don't see myself being hyped unless there was a plan to end the books.  I'm starting to feel like although GRRM isn't involved with the show anymore, this was necessary to have any sort of ending for the fans since we likely aren't getting one from GRRM.  I've become such a pessimist with regards to the books and I read them after he already finished them all.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6425 on: April 26, 2019, 08:08:52 PM »

Oddly enough I don't feel the same way. I think it's because I'm anticipating the spin-offs being similarly intriguing, that's too optimistic though.
I love Naomi Watts and she's gonna be the lead in the spin-off about the long night, pretty excited about that.

I wish they'd make a one-off HBO movie about Robert's Rebellion, I understand it's not on the table as a spin-off because people know everything there is to know about it but a TV movie would be a wonderful way to do it, I'd definitely see it! Especially if they use the amazing actors who played young Ned Stark and Arthur Dayne, they totally nailed it for their brief appearances. Even the glimpse we got of Rhaegar Targaryan was played by an actor who fit exactly my imagination of what Rhaegar looked like.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6426 on: April 27, 2019, 01:49:41 AM »
I understand the story has been told, but hey, basically all the backstory of Westeros has been told so unless they come up with original ideas, people will already know the details.

I'm all for a prequel about Robert's Rebellion and I think it would connect direcrly into the events of Game of Thrones - forgetting for a moment that there was an actual book about it, the prequel for Lord of the Rings was The Hobbit, which had Bilbo and Gandalf in it and other characters people knew, it was not a random story from the Silmarillion.

About the books... gut feeling is that, in 2-3 years, we will eventually get The Winds of Winter. A Dream of Spring is unlikely to ever be finished.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6427 on: April 27, 2019, 03:28:13 PM »
If the books really are as expansive as everyone says, and have that many subplots that have to be tied up, I can totally see A Dream of Spring being GRRM's own "A Memory of Light" - in other words, A Dream of Spring being split up into multiple books. I recall reading that GRRM said WoW and ADoS would be 1500+ pages each and that was years ago, and he won't force an arbitrary number of books, so we could get even more. Hopefully in his lifetime. Would never wish anything bad upon the man but he ain't a spring chicken.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6428 on: April 27, 2019, 04:56:19 PM »
Oh, another random thought - we know and the characters know that you have to burn the dead.

What if the battle for Winterfell is lost and they make the difficult yet rational decision to burn said dead... by deliberately torching Winterfell to the ground? either by setting it on fire or having Drogon taking care of it.

The secret passages out of Winterfell have been mentioned and so the Iron Islands being a fallback option in case things go wrong, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibilites that even if some of the heroes and most of the very main characters survive, they lose the battle, and so if they decide to run to fight another day, the wisest thing to do would be leaving less new recruits possible for the Night King.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6429 on: April 27, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »
That's a very interesting idea, MM. It would be awesome/tragic/awesome if Winterfell had to be burned as a last ditch effort.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #6430 on: April 27, 2019, 10:11:05 PM »
I was thinking earlier today that not only are we gonna lose some main characters tomorrow, but in the coming weeks they may be fighting for the other side. How does Arya battling undead little Lyanna Mormont sound? Or Jamie having to kill undead Brienne of Tarth. The mind boggles.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6431 on: April 28, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
I wish they'd make a one-off HBO movie about Robert's Rebellion, I understand it's not on the table as a spin-off because people know everything there is to know about it but a TV movie would be a wonderful way to do it, I'd definitely see it! Especially if they use the amazing actors who played young Ned Stark and Arthur Dayne, they totally nailed it for their brief appearances. Even the glimpse we got of Rhaegar Targaryan was played by an actor who fit exactly my imagination of what Rhaegar looked like.
I wouldn't mind a spinoff like that. GRRM said we would solve every mystery about Robert's Rebellion and the tournament by the end of the book, but there's no new books as of now, and loads of mysteries. Was Lyanna Stark the Knight of the Laughing Tree? How did they fall in love, and did they, or was it all for the prophecy? Was The Mountain explicitly ordered to brutalize the Targ kids and rape Elia? What do the Daynes know? Did Ashara hook up with one of the Starks? What does Howland Reed know? It would be so cool if we got the story of all of that. Even if we knew everything, I'd still pay good money to see Jaime killing the Mad King and Robert swinging a hammer around.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6432 on: April 28, 2019, 04:43:52 PM »
Got my errands and chores done, got my stein and libations ready... GO HUMANS!! :2metal:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6433 on: April 28, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »
#TeamNightKing

I still think there's about a 15% chance of us not get the full battle tonight. I feel like Cersei's story needs to progress more.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6434 on: April 28, 2019, 05:32:26 PM »
I doubt we'll even get a knight king appearance in this episode, huge battle or not.

I'd like to see Bronn show up, see the battle from a distance and peace out.

Also I hope this episode is not as dark as the preview for it. God damn.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6435 on: April 28, 2019, 08:22:37 PM »
That episode was not was I expecting.

I kind of think I didn't like it. I need to let it marinade a bit.

Offline Adami

« Reply #6436 on: April 28, 2019, 08:29:45 PM »
.......woah.

Also not what I expected. Two REALLY dumb things happened, but I think I can forgive them based on how everything else happened.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6437 on: April 28, 2019, 08:31:06 PM »
ARYA YOU BEAUTIFUL MONSTER!!
I was so bummed out when they decided to do crypt zombies hehe, but everything else more than made up for it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Adami

« Reply #6438 on: April 28, 2019, 08:32:38 PM »
ARYA YOU BEAUTIFUL MONSTER!!
I was so bummed out when they decided to do crypt zombies hehe, but everything else more than made up for it.

Yea, that's where I am. Still hold that crypt zombies were an example of VERY dumb writing, but it didn't ruin the episode for me. Dany just hanging out while Drogon gets attacked was also very dumb. Again, didn't ruin it for me though.

Also, by the look of next episode, looks like Drogon survived? I'm pretty sure I saw two dragons.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6439 on: April 28, 2019, 08:36:26 PM »
Wow was NOT expecting it to end that way!
I'm still reeling. RIP to the lost characters.

Dang I need to process that whole episode. Couldn't see shit for the first half.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan