Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628722 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #6370 on: April 22, 2019, 06:17:46 PM »
Didn't love the episode. Didn't hate it either. Felt pretty middle ground. Did really love the scene where Jon reveals his true identity though.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6371 on: April 22, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »
Prediction, could be way off here... Next ep, Arya is being chased through the crypts by zombie Nymeria.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6372 on: April 22, 2019, 07:37:00 PM »
Looks to me after reading the responses about the second episode a lot of DTF'ers have disappointed their lovers with their foreplay. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6373 on: April 23, 2019, 01:24:15 AM »
Prediction, could be way off here... Next ep, Arya is being chased through the crypts by zombie Nymeria.

Nymeria was off doing her solo stuff in the middle of Westeros, she'd hardly come back to Winterfell.

But Arya running scared in the crypts was shown in the trailers... I start to prepare pre-emptively that the show is gonna dumb down some of the lore, and maybe we'll see zombie Starks, but let's not forget about how "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell". I'm quite confident that what now seems a random tradition, was a very specific instruction made up aeons ago at the end of the Long Night, and that there is more to it than "someone of the family must hold the titular castle", but everyone forgot about it. Heck, even "Winter is coming" could have a deeper and more sinister meaning.

Anyway, random thought - it took 8 seasons, but we finally found out that there are more than two songs in Westeros!  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #6374 on: April 23, 2019, 05:21:01 AM »
We all know Starks are in stone down there, but are there other burials?  I just wonder how much their truly is to the crypts.  The Starks rising out of the stone seems unlikely to me, but we know they can be resurrected just as skeletons so the decomposing part doesn't seem to be an issue, it's just if they are together enough to form a body that can move I guess.  If there's more burials down there not in stone, I don't see why those couldn't rise.  If the Starks are stone mummies though, that will be really dumb IMO. 

My thinking at this point, we know there's a hidden way in/out of Winterfell through the crypts and Theon knows this.  I'm thinking it's more likely the escape route when Winterfell falls, than the choke point of death, although also a strong possibility.   Theon maybe leading the way but staying back to by time as his final sacrifice seems possible.  And I do think Winterfell falls and the survivors go off to Pyke to recover.  Maybe Dragonstone, but I think the show has mentioned Pyke being safe a couple times.
The Starks are buried in stone - just the kings afaik, plus Lyanna. They were buried with iron swords, and we know in the books WWs and wights don't like iron, so maybe that's a mechanism to prevent dead Starks from rising. In the books Ned mentions that some of the iron swords have rusted away, so maybe that's a way for some of them to rise. The mythical guy who built the crypts is the same guy who built the Wall, so he knew about the threat of WWs, the question is whether the stone is enough to keep the dead from rising and the iron swords are added weapons for anyone who would want to retreat to the crypt and fight the enemy there, or if the swords are what would keep the dead inside.

So if all the dead Starks rise, it would be pretty dumb. If a few of them rise - the ones who don't have the swords like Lyanna or those whose swords have rusted - I'll forgive that, though I think it would be stupid if wights could rise from stone tombs. One thing that could freak Arya out like in the trailer would be dead Robb rising with a wolf's head sewn onto his neck  :metal but idk if his bones made it to Winterfell. In the show Ned's bones are also in Winterfell, in the book they've been sent there but they haven't made it. It would also be freaky if the dead couldn't get out of the tombs but could be heard banging and clanging against the stone. It would be awesome if the dead Starks could rise and fight for the living but it wouldn't make any sense - the only way to turn a person but not in a zombified way is to put dragonglass in them while they're still alive. The ways of magic are still kinda mysterious in the books but there would be no precedent to this in the show.

My prediction: the crypt telegraphing and trailer appearances are for book readers and theory makers who theorized there would be something important in the tombs, like proof of Jon's parentage, or some scrolls about WWs and their history, or a way for WWs to barge into the tombs, or the vague and distant possibility of dead Starks rising. In the show, the forces of ice are simply going to gain an unseen advantage and barge into the tombs and the freaked out survivors will have to retreat through underground tunnels.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6375 on: April 23, 2019, 05:35:41 AM »
To anyone that has read the books, where exactly did George get up to storywise? and when did the show start writing its own material? Just curious. I was thinking about reading the books, but wasn't sure where the show started doing its own thing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6376 on: April 23, 2019, 05:39:48 AM »
I cannot answer that, as I have not read the books, but I have seen quite a bit of chatter online from the book readers who claim that the writing and dialogue haven't been as good on the show since the moment when the books ended and the show runners had to start essentially continuing the story on their own (for lack of a better term).

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6377 on: April 23, 2019, 06:02:04 AM »
To anyone that has read the books, where exactly did George get up to storywise? and when did the show start writing its own material? Just curious. I was thinking about reading the books, but wasn't sure where the show started doing its own thing.
Season 5ish was when they started to run out of material re: main characters and their arcs. In the books

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
Jon Snow is newly dead, Tyrion and Dany haven't met yet (they almost met), Cersei isn't a queen and is unlikely to become one, Jamie and Brienne have run into a character that's not in the show, Sansa has a different arc and she's still doing things with a very much alive Littlefinger, Arya is still assassinating people, Bran is slowly gaining his magical powers but Hodor is still alive. Euron is a lot different when he appears in the released chapters from the sixth book - he messes with a lot of dark magic and has big plans to fuck the world up. I think they downplayed him in the show because they already have a Big Bad, the Night King.
END OF SPOILER

There's a lot of clues in the books about things happening that happened in the show so I can see the books going in that direction - there's no way Dany will keep all of her dragons, no way Jon stays dead, no way Stannis survives to the end, Shireen is likely to be sacrificed at some point, all of Cersei's children will die, they got the Hodor thing straight from the books most likely, the Others and the Children of the Forest seem to be connected, Jon and Dany might fall in love (there's some foreshadowing that points in that direction). But there's no way it all happens like it happens in the show. The show just feels... they had notes on what might happen or the logic of things, and they just went with the most straightforward way to put all the chess pieces together and get rid of the superfluous people so the Others can finally be fought by the forces of the living. They did a good job and I admire them for doing that because it's not what they signed up for. But the books are better.

When you read the books, you don't feel like you're watching chess pieces move, and the world of magic and what's beyond the Wall seems much more mysterious than the whole Walking Dead thing the show is doing. I hope we get at least the sixth book, and some of these magical mysteries start paying off, because I know they're not going to reveal anything about the Others in the show. They're saving that for the prequel thing.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 06:07:40 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6378 on: April 23, 2019, 06:03:41 AM »

I don't know decomposition well (despite being friends with a mortician), but I would have thought Lyanna would be too far gone to be brought back. Like I said though I don't know if they buried her in permafrost so maybe... Someone else raised a good point: the wight they brought to King's Landing was in a big wooden box and couldn't break free by thrashing relentlessly around in there. Think a wight could break out of a stone tomb even if they weren't chained?

Didn't the one that they brought to King's Landing not have any legs? That might complicate things when trying to get out of a box.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6379 on: April 23, 2019, 06:07:08 AM »
He did, but he was chopped in half during the "Show and tell" lesson for Cersei. First thing the undead did when pushed out of the box was running straight for Cersei, the Hound pulled him back with the chains.

Something I forgot: Bronn didn't show up in Winterfell, and he's left King's Landing, where do you think he is and how he'll pop back again in the life of the survivors of Winterfell?

Also - if Qyburn could think of the "scorpion" to throw harpoons at dragons, why nobody in Winterfell came up with a possible plan B to get the Night King? if you know that killing him will potentially destroy the whole army, why nobody thought about shooting him from afar? might be difficult but anything different than "Walk straight up to him" is worth a try.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6380 on: April 23, 2019, 06:28:24 AM »
My prediction: the crypt telegraphing and trailer appearances are for book readers and theory makers who theorized there would be something important in the tombs, like proof of Jon's parentage, or some scrolls about WWs and their history, or a way for WWs to barge into the tombs, or the vague and distant possibility of dead Starks rising. In the show, the forces of ice are simply going to gain an unseen advantage and barge into the tombs and the freaked out survivors will have to retreat through underground tunnels.

Thanks Mora for the explanation about the crypts, I read the books but can't remember details like that anymore, I can't even remember show details like I used to after the long break between seasons  :lol  Also, I agree with this prediction, I'd love to see more in the crypts and learn about the WWs, but the show just might use this area for an escape route.  Next week is a super long episode though, I hope that means there's plenty of time to get real cool explanations and learn things in the crpyts.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6381 on: April 23, 2019, 06:33:20 AM »

He did, but he was chopped in half during the "Show and tell" lesson for Cersei. First thing the undead did when pushed out of the box was running straight for Cersei, the Hound pulled him back with the chains.

Oh yeah. You right.

Something I forgot: Bronn didn't show up in Winterfell, and he's left King's Landing, where do you think he is and how he'll pop back again in the life of the survivors of Winterfell?

King's landing is pretty far away, he could still be on his way. I think there's a chance of Winterfell being left for dead as everyone flees south. We might run into him again somewhere in the middle of the map.   

Also - if Qyburn could think of the "scorpion" to throw harpoons at dragons, why nobody in Winterfell came up with a possible plan B to get the Night King? if you know that killing him will potentially destroy the whole army, why nobody thought about shooting him from afar? might be difficult but anything different than "Walk straight up to him" is worth a try.

That might be what Arya's projectile spear thing is for.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6382 on: April 23, 2019, 06:37:35 AM »

That might be what Arya's projectile spear thing is for.

Well, I think because their thought is he won't show himself, except in the Godswood for Bran apparently.  I'm with you guys, make a plan B, C, D... whatever.  The plan to capture a wight didn't make much sense either.  We'll see how this plays out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6383 on: April 23, 2019, 07:52:47 AM »
I can already hear the complaints about next week's episode coming a mile away but no matter what happens I am psyched. Been anticipating this upcoming battle for 2 years and holy hell am I ready. Don't care what happens, I'm not gonna be disappointed. We still have about 5 hours left of the show (about 80 minutes for each of the last episodes). Personally I feel like season 7 set up the endgame so well, and season 8 is all about the sweet payoffs. It's the sick combination of dread and excitement that I can't get enough of. I really hope there are some twists they have up their sleeves that make me scream WHAT?! at my TV a few times.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6384 on: April 23, 2019, 08:48:40 AM »
I really hope there are some twists they have up their sleeves that make me scream WHAT?! at my TV a few times.
I hope so too. However, the great thing, and the problem with this show is that by now we know anything can happen. I would not be shocked if the Night King won in the end or if Cersei ends up on the Throne. The days of being shocked by the show are over I fear.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6385 on: April 23, 2019, 08:49:45 AM »
I really hope there are some twists they have up their sleeves that make me scream WHAT?! at my TV a few times.
I hope so too. However, the great thing, and the problem with this show is that by now we know anything can happen. I would not be shocked if the Night King won in the end or if Cersei ends up on the Throne. The days of being shocked by the show are over I fear.

Maybe but I'd personally find either of those endings shocking. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6386 on: April 23, 2019, 08:54:57 AM »
So I was watching some reviews of the last episode, and someone said something I thought was actually kind of funny.

They weren't being too serious. They pointed out that before Arya went to Gendry to get some D, who did she go to first? The Hound. Only left when that other dude showed up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6387 on: April 23, 2019, 08:56:46 AM »
So I was watching some reviews of the last episode, and someone said something I thought was actually kind of funny.

They weren't being too serious. They pointed out that before Arya went to Gendry to get some D, who did she go to first? The Hound. Only left when that other dude showed up.

funny interpretation, but I did enjoy that scene as the Hound asks her why shes so quiet and yet he's sitting there in silence, not even drinking.  Total opposite of him before Blackwater.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6388 on: April 23, 2019, 08:58:22 AM »
I hope the ending to the series is bittersweet. I hope it isn't a happy ending. The world will likely still go on (there's still the East, even if Westeros falls) - but I want some massive consequences to everything we're about to see. I want the characters to be conflicted and torn with how everything ends.

I also hope The Hound lives. I hope he kills his brother and just lives until he's an old, even more miserable bastard.

Online Adami

« Reply #6389 on: April 23, 2019, 09:00:07 AM »
I hope we get a Lego Movie ending where it's just a bunch of nerds playing with action figures or something.

That'd be a shocking twist ending.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6390 on: April 23, 2019, 09:13:14 AM »
I hope we get a Lego Movie ending where it's just a bunch of nerds playing with action figures or something.

That'd be a shocking twist ending.

That. Would. Be. Awesome.  :lol 

I hope the ending to the series is bittersweet. I hope it isn't a happy ending.

Bittersweet is the word that Martin and the Show Runners have used to describe the ending....so, I'd be ready for that type of ending. I don't see how you end this show in a 'happy' way. It'll probably be the 'only' way it could end, which doesn't make a happy one.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6391 on: April 23, 2019, 09:17:11 AM »
Double twist, it's actually the kids from Stranger Things in their new DND campaign! They have violent, dirty minds. :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6392 on: April 23, 2019, 09:25:41 AM »
Bran will barely make it out alive, and after the dust clears, he claws his way into the Iron Throne.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #6393 on: April 23, 2019, 04:27:20 PM »
I’m predicting both Theon and Davos’s deaths in episode 3, at the very least.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6394 on: April 23, 2019, 06:58:14 PM »
I would like to see Jon end up on the throne, mainly because he's always been the reluctant leader. He's never lusted for power, but when the situation needed a leader, he has stepped up to the challenge and has provided quality. He has a claim as well, being a legit Targaryen and everything, but even if he didn't, he still would be my choice based on quality of character.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6395 on: April 23, 2019, 08:19:11 PM »
I would like to see Jon end up on the throne, mainly because he's always been the reluctant leader. He's never lusted for power, but when the situation needed a leader, he has stepped up to the challenge and has provided quality. He has a claim as well, being a legit Targaryen and everything, but even if he didn't, he still would be my choice based on quality of character.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6396 on: April 23, 2019, 08:31:59 PM »
I've heard some pretty dumb theories in my day, the worst being Tyrion is a Targaryan, but this whole crypt wights theory going around the internet takes the cake. When did we ever see wights coming out of graves? They've always been fresh kills, can you imagine how much bigger their army would be if the white walkers can reanimate everyone who's ever died?! God freakin God, I'm pretty sure the show won't do that, fuck I really hope they don't.
Thinking about getting that illustrated version of the first novel. I wanted to get it when it came out but couldn't justify the money since I have all the novels already, but now I feel like reading them again so I may just order it soon. Anyone has it? Is it worth it?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6397 on: April 23, 2019, 09:01:05 PM »
The crypts would be like a Trojan horse but without needing the horse. It's an awesome strategy. Also, if any part of the crypts are like catacombs, the bodies will be out and just lying on shelves. It'd be easy. I doubt everyone is in a stone sarcophagus.

When did we ever see wights coming out of graves?

Never. But up until now, we've only scene the army north of the wall where all the dead are burned, not buried. I could be wrong, but didn't we see a bunch of the wights come up out of the snow in the finale of season 4? They could have been buried.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:22:25 AM by Chino »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6398 on: April 24, 2019, 06:36:26 AM »
I’m curious to see exactly ‘how’ the Night King army utilizes the crypts....I think we all can glean from the hints that something is going to happen down in them....what will it be? 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6399 on: April 24, 2019, 06:48:26 AM »
I’m curious to see exactly ‘how’ the Night King army utilizes the crypts....I think we all can glean from the hints that something is going to happen down in them....what will it be?

Could they contain a backdoor into Winterfell like the one Tyrion had created in the sewers in King's Landing?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6400 on: April 24, 2019, 07:04:59 AM »

Could they contain a backdoor into Winterfell like the one Tyrion had created in the sewers in King's Landing?

I was thinking that but honestly....does the Night King army need one? At Hardhimme those soldiers came down mountainsides, over and through that huge wall. I’m sure Winterfells defenses will hold some of them off for a while but there’s so many of them I don’t see it being and issue for them to penetrate Winterfell.

I think it’s going to be the dead being resurrected and used as soldiers. Just curious as to what extent and ‘how’ that happens.

Online Adami

« Reply #6401 on: April 24, 2019, 07:50:18 AM »
The crypts would be like a Trojan horse but without needing the horse. It's an awesome strategy. Also, if any part of the crypts are like catacombs, the bodies will be out and just lying on shelves. It'd be easy. I doubt everyone is in a stone sarcophagus.

Never. But up until now, we've only scene the army north of the wall where all the dead are burned, not buried. I could be wrong, but didn't we see a bunch of the wights come up out of the snow in the finale of season 4? They could have been buried.

Didn't a bunch come up to attack Bran at the tree thing? Maybe that's what you're referring to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6402 on: April 24, 2019, 08:04:41 AM »
I've heard some pretty dumb theories in my day, the worst being Tyrion is a Targaryan, but this whole crypt wights theory going around the internet takes the cake. When did we ever see wights coming out of graves? They've always been fresh kills, can you imagine how much bigger their army would be if the white walkers can reanimate everyone who's ever died?! God freakin God, I'm pretty sure the show won't do that, fuck I really hope they don't.
The only reason why I'm considering it is because the show has messed with logic to inject drama before. The reason why the theory was so proliferated was because people have been theorizing about the crypts for ages, and people have also been theorizing about the WWs connection to iron for ages, and someone noticed the dead Stark kings are buried with iron swords, and everyone's wheels just started turning when the teasers started coming with the scary crypt visions. Plus, Jon in the books has a scary crypt dream. I hope nothing's gonna happen.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6403 on: April 24, 2019, 08:31:10 AM »

Didn't a bunch come up to attack Bran at the tree thing? Maybe that's what you're referring to.

Yeah. It's been a while since I saw that episode. Didn't they attack from underground? Or at least some of them anyway?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6404 on: April 24, 2019, 08:34:56 AM »
Yea, I'm pretty sure skeletons rose from the snow to attack Bran and force him into the cave with the children of the forest.  Remember the bones blasting when they attempted to follow but couldn't because of the magic of the cave?  A quick google search didn't find a great pic but this gif seems to show just a skeleton:

As for Tyrion being a Targaryan theory, I think that one makes more sense in the book and has some legs to it being possible, but the show never really went into details about Tywin's relationship with the Mad King and how he slept with Tywin's wife.  The dragon has three heads and Tyrions love for dragons when the story starts.  None of it matters in the show and maybe not in the books, but that's not a far fetched theory IMO for book readers.

And we know there's a back door to the crpyts somewhere.  Maester Lewin told Theon about it to get the Stark boys out of Winterfell after he said he killed them near the end of season 2.  I don't know if anyone besides Bran and Theon know about this though, but that could be a way in for the wights or an escape route for the humans.