Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 638593 times)

Offline RuRoRul

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #6265 on: April 16, 2019, 08:12:05 AM »
Yeah I wondered what would become of Bronn since he didn't leave with Jaime leaving him apparently serving Cersei who he won't be sharing screentime with (that's why Bronn grabbed Podrick and said "Let's go get a drink!" at the Dragonpit before Cersei showed up). Qyburn having to deliver Cersei's wishes is a pretty amusing way of handling it if you're aware about the behind the scenes reason it wasn't going to be Cersei. If anything I'm pretty glad about that though since any excuse for Qyburn to have more presence is OK with me.

Bronn being asked to kill Tyrion and Jaime is partly just so he could remain in  the story, I think it makes a good amount of sense for Cersei as well though. If Bronn's friendship with Tyrion and Jaime caused him to be loyal to them then he'd be a liability to have among the army if they return successfully. Give him gold up front and send him after them, then either 1. He remains a true sellsword and does go through with trying to kill them, and he'd be well placed to do so since he could easily get close to them, or 2. He has a change of heart and joins them or just pisses off, which he would have eventually done anyway if he remained at King's Landing, so she is at least rid of someone who would have betrayed her anyway.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6266 on: April 16, 2019, 08:17:13 AM »
I think it would be most fitting if a Stark killed Cersei, to finally truly avenge Ned.  Arya doing it wearing someone else's face would be bad ass.

I'd say Olenna avenged Ned when she was protecting Margery and poisoned Geoffry. He's the one who flew off the handle and didn't follow the plan and send Ned to the Wall....he decided to just behead him then and there. If you watch that scene Cersi freaking flips out when he announces that and all during the moments of Ned's beheading because she knows what is going to happen with Ned being murdered.

Now...a Stark killing Cersi would still be sweet victory for the Starks and an ultimate 'end' to those two families feud...but she wasn't the 'reason' Ned was murdered...other than not being able to control her own psychotic son.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6267 on: April 16, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »
About Bronn... he was not tasked with outright murdering them - he was told to just make sure they wouldn't come out of it alive in case of a victory over the undead.

About who kills Cersei - in the show there is no mention of the Valonqar (little brother) prophecy. In the book she gets if full, "you'll get three children, golden their crowns, golden their shrouds, and then the little brother will choke the life out of you". This last part is not in the TV show so maybe they wanted to have some more control over that.

Arya killing her is every fanboy's fever dream, it's the only reason why I don't hope for it - too predictable. Also, I assume that the White Walkers somehow will make it to King's Landing - it's too easy and anticlimatic for the North to defeat the White Walkers, then march united on King's Landing, winning the Throne, happily ever after yadda yadda. No, the White Walkers will lay waste to Winterfell, reach South, and the few survivors of Winterfell - some protagonists will make out of it alive - will be the one facing the very ultimate standoff in episode 5 or 6.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6268 on: April 16, 2019, 08:22:55 AM »
Arya could wear Jaime's face too and do the killing.  There is the prophecy and then there is also Arya's list, this may be a way to do both.  But I guess Jaime needs to die, which being that he is in the North is entirely possible.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6269 on: April 16, 2019, 08:28:36 AM »
Arya killing her is every fanboy's fever dream, it's the only reason why I don't hope for it - too predictable. Also, I assume that the White Walkers somehow will make it to King's Landing - it's too easy and anticlimatic for the North to defeat the White Walkers, then march united on King's Landing, winning the Throne, happily ever after yadda yadda. No, the White Walkers will lay waste to Winterfell, reach South, and the few survivors of Winterfell - some protagonists will make out of it alive - will be the one facing the very ultimate standoff in episode 5 or 6.

Agreed. I really hope they don't have Arya kill Cersi. Sure, it'd be 'neat' and all but it's just too good to be true for a series where nothing like that has ever happened (see Oberyn defeating the Mountain but still getting his head crushed)

I think that the Battle for/of Winterfell will end with the Night King destroying/killing most of them with the survivors retreating south....either to Dragonstone or the Iron Islands.....then the Night King Army continues it's march south to Kingslanding where it all will come to a head and end there.

Who kills Cersi? It'd be almost fitting for the show if it was someone that had no 'reason' to.....just a random character like Euron.....but I think that we will see one of two characters kill her. Either Jamie, which would be fitting.....or Sansa.....also fitting. Both of which would less serve the 'fan boy' experience but serve the overall story well.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6270 on: April 16, 2019, 08:33:18 AM »
I would love for one of the dragons to burn Cersei. The northern armies are nearly decimated, there's only a few heroes left but enough to overthrow Cersei and her armies, the wildfire destroys King's Landing, and Cersei, the Mad Queen, stands defiant in a destroyed Red Keep until Daenerys says 'Dracarys.'

That's just one way I'd like to see her go, anyway.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6271 on: April 16, 2019, 08:37:30 AM »
I think it would be most fitting if a Stark killed Cersei, to finally truly avenge Ned.  Arya doing it wearing someone else's face would be bad ass.

I'd say Olenna avenged Ned when she was protecting Margery and poisoned Geoffry. He's the one who flew off the handle and didn't follow the plan and send Ned to the Wall....he decided to just behead him then and there. If you watch that scene Cersi freaking flips out when he announces that and all during the moments of Ned's beheading because she knows what is going to happen with Ned being murdered.

Now...a Stark killing Cersi would still be sweet victory for the Starks and an ultimate 'end' to those two families feud...but she wasn't the 'reason' Ned was murdered...other than not being able to control her own psychotic son.

Hmmm, I will have to re-watch that scene, but I trust that you are correct, so there goes my theory. :lol

That said, Olenna wasn't so much avenging Ned as she was protecting her granddaughter from marrying that little pissant.

Speaking of Olenna, she was awesome, and went out like a boss.  Drank the poison, and then basically said, "I killed Joffrey, tell Cersei, see ya." :coolio :hat

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6272 on: April 16, 2019, 08:41:30 AM »
I think that the Battle for/of Winterfell will end with the Night King destroying/killing most of them with the survivors retreating south....either to Dragonstone or the Iron Islands.....then the Night King Army continues it's march south to Kingslanding where it all will come to a head and end there.

Yea, they hinted at the Iron Islands being a safe spot to fall back on, that might be legit once Winterfell falls. 

Also, just want to say that this thread just makes me realize how much I really love this show, the discussion and theories make it so fun to discuss.  Good stuff the last two days now with the revival of the show.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #6273 on: April 16, 2019, 08:45:04 AM »

Yea, they hinted at the Iron Islands being a safe spot to fall back on, that might be legit once Winterfell falls. 

Also, just want to say that this thread just makes me realize how much I really love this show, the discussion and theories make it so fun to discuss.  Good stuff the last two days now with the revival of the show.

To add to this, it just dawned on me how sad I will be when it ends. Game of Thrones has been both a cultural phenomenon and an all-time great show for eight years now. It has been around for the entirety of my adult life. When it's gone, I will feel like I have a hole to fill or something. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6274 on: April 16, 2019, 08:47:10 AM »
I felt the same way when Lost ended, I think before GOT, it was not only my favorite TV series but also was the best to talk about.  I don't recall being that active on these boards then to discuss it here, but there was a Lost forum that was buzzing during that show with theory talk and whatnot that added a whole new dimension to enjoying TV.  I was so sad when it ended, and other shows fill the void somewhat, but it wasn't until GOT that I got so sucked in again like this.  It's definitely become my favorite show all time.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6275 on: April 16, 2019, 08:52:49 AM »

To add to this, it just dawned on me how sad I will be when it ends. Game of Thrones has been both a cultural phenomenon and an all-time great show for eight years now. It has been around for the entirety of my adult life. When it's gone, I will feel like I have a hole to fill or something. :lol

I know it won't completely fill the void or replace GOT.....but the prequel/spin off series they're planning won't be too far behind the end of this show. But I agree....this show has been a fun ride.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6276 on: April 16, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »
I didn't think about it till just now, but with Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos, I got into each show and binge-watched them to catch up right before the last season...in all three cases. Weird.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6277 on: April 16, 2019, 08:56:35 AM »
Arya has her list and has killed some people but she hasn't personally killed every person she listed that's dead, so I don't think her having someone on her list gives that much narrative pressure that she must be the one to kill someone. The main people Arya has killed as part of her own personal quest for vengeance have been individuals immediately responsible for some of the horrors she's seen. There was Polliver who stole Needle and killed a Lommy, Meryn Trant who defeated Syrio Forel. These were people whose actions against her were up close and personal, and her revenge was the same. She never directly met Walder Frey before, but she did personally see the Freys killing Grey Wind and parading Robb Stark's body around. Walder Frey was similarly confronted with the death of his own kin in a horrific manner, and a bunch of other Freys died when they were betrayed at a feast at the Twins.

These kills basically mirrored or directly referenced the deed that got the people on her list in the first place. Arya also killed Littlefinger, but that was more about Sansa and not really part of Arya's personal vendetta (at least she herself saw it that way: "You did it. I'm just the executioner"). But between Arya and Cersei, there hasn't actually been that much personal history. So Arya could be the one to kill Cersei but I personally don't think that she has a particularly special place in the story to do so. If it turns out that it is the culmination of her "list" though, I wonder what would be the main thing that she was taking revenge for. She could blame her for Ned Stark's death but Cersei wasn't really directly responsible for it in the same way the people above were responsible for their crimes. In fact the main personal matter that made Arya hate Cersei was when she demanded they kill the direwolf in the second episode of the show, leading to Lady's death (Arya already drove Nymeria away to avoid that fate). So maybe that would be the reference? Cersei torn apart by Nymeria and her pack of wolves, the direwolf taking vengeace for the direwolf house? That would be a satisfying end for Arya's story, but I don't know if it's that interesting for Cersei's story when she has so much more history with so many other characters.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6278 on: April 16, 2019, 09:02:53 AM »
It's time for a new fan to chime in. I started watching the show around October and went through all seven seasons over the following months. I've made it just in time to start following the last season, which feels great, since I really got hooked on the show. I truly liked the premiere and was especially blown away by Jamie and Bran reuniting.

As far as predictions and wishes go, the only thing I know is that I'd find it underwhelming if there were some avenging going on. This show is all about not giving the people what they want to see, which makes it interesting and sort of artistic. It's not that I'm rooting for my favorite characters to be killed, but that would be more dramatic and powerful than Arya eliminating Cersei for example.

Also, the thing with Jerome and Lena not getting along must be a pain in the ass for the writers. They actually have to work around their feud and adjust their storylines just because two actors can't stand each other. I find it extremely odd.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6279 on: April 16, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »
What I look forward the most, is a full and proper explanation of the lore regarding the White Walkers. I'd be bummed if it all came down to "Well, they're evil ice zombie, Jon Snow uses a valaryan steel sword to kill the Night King in single combat, every wight drops dead because of the hive structure, hurray, the end".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6280 on: April 16, 2019, 09:22:41 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Arya did kill the Hound though. She told him she was going to shove a knife through his eye for killing that kid she was sparring with....and she's always maintained she would.....and she's in proximity to him now. I don't think that'd be 'fan fiction' if she were to do that....it'd fit the story.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6281 on: April 16, 2019, 09:43:30 AM »
It's time for a new fan to chime in. I started watching the show around October and went through all seven seasons over the following months. I've made it just in time to start following the last season, which feels great, since I really got hooked on the show. I truly liked the premiere and was especially blown away by Jamie and Bran reuniting.

As far as predictions and wishes go, the only thing I know is that I'd find it underwhelming if there were some avenging going on. This show is all about not giving the people what they want to see, which makes it interesting and sort of artistic. It's not that I'm rooting for my favorite characters to be killed, but that would be more dramatic and powerful than Arya eliminating Cersei for example.

Also, the thing with Jerome and Lena not getting along must be a pain in the ass for the writers. They actually have to work around their feud and adjust their storylines just because two actors can't stand each other. I find it extremely odd.
Sounds cool, actually somewhat jealous since I much prefer to be able to watch series or at least whole seasons as a whole. Though there's something to be said for following a show week by week and year by year as well.

Of course speculation and predictions are enjoyable, but it can also make it hard to live up to. Things like the revelation about Jon Snow's parentage, or certain big events that feel like they logically have to happen... when you have so much time to speculate or to wonder about the significance of them, I think there's almost always going to be a feeling of "Is that it?" when they finally happen. That's true for some of the big moments in the most recent episode, especially since so many of them were things that were already known so it's just about "how it happens" - character reunions, characters finding out about things, etc. People have been waiting for Jon and Arya's reunion for years, and I think it was a well done emotional moment... but yeah, if you know it's so significant for the characters, can it really live up to the hype? Same with Jon Snow finding out about his parents. Actually I think this was an interesting moment, but it was more interesting for me because of the elements that I didn't see coming (Sam questioning Jon about whether he would be a good ruler or whether Daenerys was, given the new information). But just Jon Snow actually finding out the information? Yeah, you could probably guess roughly how that's going to go. Because it makes sense.

For me I'm trying to avoid letting my expectations or speculation affect my watching too much, especially since this is the final season and probably every possibility has been theorised or discussed at some point. I don't want to be watching something happen and then feel either 1. Pissed that it's different from what I predicted, so it sucks, 2. Pissed that it's exactly like I predicted, so it sucks, or 3. Pissed that it's exactly the right balance between what I expected without being predictable but the world doesn't stop spinning because it has happened, so it sucks. Especially since I find most episodes are better when you can watch them in the full context of the show.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6282 on: April 16, 2019, 09:45:46 AM »
I felt the same way when Lost ended, I think before GOT, it was not only my favorite TV series but also was the best to talk about.  I don't recall being that active on these boards then to discuss it here, but there was a Lost forum that was buzzing during that show with theory talk and whatnot that added a whole new dimension to enjoying TV.  I was so sad when it ended, and other shows fill the void somewhat, but it wasn't until GOT that I got so sucked in again like this.  It's definitely become my favorite show all time.

Lost and GoT are easily my top 2 favorite shows. I currently give the edge to Lost because it was an original idea (not based on source material). Now GoT may surpass depending on how the last 5 episodes go.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6283 on: April 16, 2019, 10:04:01 AM »
What I look forward the most, is a full and proper explanation of the lore regarding the White Walkers. I'd be bummed if it all came down to "Well, they're evil ice zombie, Jon Snow uses a valaryan steel sword to kill the Night King in single combat, every wight drops dead because of the hive structure, hurray, the end".

Yea definitely want to know more about them.  The whole ice/fire thing, lord of light and night king needs to be explained.  I hope the answers are in the crypts.  I don't want it to be "they are zombies, they are bad" because thats cheating us since this seems to be the real issue all along that's just been lingering in the background.  It's in the foreground now and explanations are necessary for certain things like what the Night King's motivations are.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #6284 on: April 16, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »
Lost and GoT are easily my top 2 favorite shows. I currently give the edge to Lost because it was an original idea (not based on source material). Now GoT may surpass depending on how the last 5 episodes go.

I also loved LOST, although it stumbled a bit towards the end. GoT is definitely up there. I just wonder if he will ever finish off the books. I finished the books before watching the show. I’d say he probably won’t now..

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6285 on: April 16, 2019, 10:49:53 AM »

Yea definitely want to know more about them.  The whole ice/fire thing, lord of light and night king needs to be explained.  I hope the answers are in the crypts.  I don't want it to be "they are zombies, they are bad" because thats cheating us since this seems to be the real issue all along that's just been lingering in the background.  It's in the foreground now and explanations are necessary for certain things like what the Night King's motivations are.

I'd be surprised if we were given a concrete explanation as to the 'whys' and 'hows' concerning the Night King, White Walkers and Wights. There may be some explanation but I don't think we're getting a book that Sam found read to us with bullet points and detail. It'd be neat....but it's not necessary for the story or lore of the show IMO.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6286 on: April 16, 2019, 10:53:22 AM »
I hope once Melisandre comes back we learn a bit more about the Walkers, or at least see some epic stuff with her. Maybe she's bringing witches back from Volantis?

Did all the Children of the Forest die in that encounter with the Night King back in season 6?
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6287 on: April 16, 2019, 11:02:07 AM »

I tried Lost, but lost interest in Seasons 1 (no pun intended), and then I had many saying it didn't end up well, so I figured I'd never try again.

There is no way I can put Game of Thrones in the same stratosphere as The Sopranos and Breaking Bad, but I'd probably put it in my 2nd tier of dramas along with Six Feet Under and Dexter.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6288 on: April 16, 2019, 11:26:25 AM »
http://www.metalsucks.net/2019/04/16/fender-unveil-game-of-thrones-guitar-models/

Custom Fender GOT Guitars and a video of Scott Ian, Nuno Bettencourt, Tom Morello and DB Weiss playing the GOT theme on them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6290 on: April 17, 2019, 01:21:27 PM »
As far as predictions and wishes go, the only thing I know is that I'd find it underwhelming if there were some avenging going on. This show is all about not giving the people what they want to see, which makes it interesting and sort of artistic.
Not sure I agree with this. A key theme of the books especially but also the show to a great extent is that people's actions have consequences. Vengeance is absolutely part of that theme and I very much expect there to be at least some in this final season.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6291 on: April 19, 2019, 05:26:46 AM »
Oh damn, I've stumbled upon this theory on Reddit, about the battle plans of the Night King, and now I'm almost annoyed I read it because:

- While it's all conjecture so it's not something spoiled from what could be deduced from the premiere, it's totally plausible, unexpected but plausible;
- It's so badass that, if it won't go down like this (or at least if we don't get something even better), I'll be pissed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/bdwuse/spoilers_extended_my_night_king_is_not_stupid/

I don't want to sound too much like a tease... I mean, it's up to you, if you're the kind of person that loves reading theories and conjectures, just go for it, it makes sense, otherwise just don't bother. I assume out there in the vastness of the webs someone, somewhere, MUST have gotten it somehow right. The details might change, but there's only so many possible macro-outcomes in the end (Winterfell battle being either won or lost; Westeros being either ran over by White Walkers or not; Main heroes dying, winning completely, or winning in a way that doesn't leave too much satisfaction, the "bittersweet ending" hinted by George RR Martin).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6292 on: April 19, 2019, 07:24:32 AM »
Oh damn, I've stumbled upon this theory on Reddit, about the battle plans of the Night King, and now I'm almost annoyed I read it because:

- While it's all conjecture so it's not something spoiled from what could be deduced from the premiere, it's totally plausible, unexpected but plausible;
- It's so badass that, if it won't go down like this (or at least if we don't get something even better), I'll be pissed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/bdwuse/spoilers_extended_my_night_king_is_not_stupid/

I don't want to sound too much like a tease... I mean, it's up to you, if you're the kind of person that loves reading theories and conjectures, just go for it, it makes sense, otherwise just don't bother. I assume out there in the vastness of the webs someone, somewhere, MUST have gotten it somehow right. The details might change, but there's only so many possible macro-outcomes in the end (Winterfell battle being either won or lost; Westeros being either ran over by White Walkers or not; Main heroes dying, winning completely, or winning in a way that doesn't leave too much satisfaction, the "bittersweet ending" hinted by George RR Martin).

Brilliant stuff, and I almost hope it happens - surprising that in the last 2 years I never once thought of him doing that. On the other hand, I read a theory that says *SPOILERS IN TINY FONT* the Night King might be heading to Winterfell because he's going to burn the network of Weirwood trees, which is what he was tied to when he was made into the Night King, and the symbol he makes is the symbol that was around the tree he was tied to.

But I think the theory you linked is much more badass and I can already hear the ominous tones of the brass section rising when our heroes see that thing rise and move south.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6293 on: April 19, 2019, 07:36:03 AM »
I think the conflict will come to King's Landing (or at least further south than Winterfell), and I also think that the Night King won't be too reckless with the dragon, especially when they can throw thousands of expendable wights into battle first instead. But I don't think the White Walkers will take or destroy King's Landing off screen first before the fight at Winterfell is resolved.

Either way I try not to get too attached to any speculation, since reading a theory or prediction that sounds plausible and good then finding it out it doesn't happen can spoil things because it doesn't match your hopes. I've probably allowed that to happen a couple of times watching this series over the years. Also I think for example something like Arya's season 6 story, it's one of the weaker bits of the show but I think one of the reasons lots of fans were so riled by it was partly because of all the speculation and convoluted theories that just never happen, which made people more upset than if they'd just taken the story at face value. On my full rewatch before Season 8, those parts just zipped along and felt like a mediocre but sensible enough storyline (with a few flaws posted about earlier), and it seemed crazy to think that so many people were so convinced there was some identity swapping or even more complicated plans, without that full week between S6 E7 and E8 to think about things and read people's fevered speculation and analysis of screenshots online.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6294 on: April 19, 2019, 09:46:47 AM »
One thing that pissed me off on the new episode was that lord Glover withdrawing his support to Jon Snow's war effort. It's pretty stupid to think he -Glover- doesn't understand the scope or the magnitude of what's happening, I mean even if you don't believe Jon Snow's stories about the white walkers, everybody knows that the thousand year old structure on the edge of the world has been destroyed and whoever destroyed it, be it white walkers or the Backstreet Boys, are marching south with a huge army. And you're gonna wait it out in your castle cause you think Jon Snow is a wimp for bending the knee to the Targaryan queen, good plan boss.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6295 on: April 19, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
be it white walkers or the Backstreet Boys

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6296 on: April 19, 2019, 10:36:10 AM »
 :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6297 on: April 19, 2019, 11:27:02 AM »
One thing that pissed me off on the new episode was that lord Glover withdrawing his support to Jon Snow's war effort. It's pretty stupid to think he -Glover- doesn't understand the scope or the magnitude of what's happening, I mean even if you don't believe Jon Snow's stories about the white walkers, everybody knows that the thousand year old structure on the edge of the world has been destroyed and whoever destroyed it, be it white walkers or the Backstreet Boys, are marching south with a huge army. And you're gonna wait it out in your castle cause you think Jon Snow is a wimp for bending the knee to the Targaryan queen, good plan boss.

I'm not gonna defend what probably won't enter any "100 greatest plot points" list, but history has taught us that people have definitively the ability to fail to see the bigger picture and care only about their interests.

What would happen if forest zombies would stir in Amazonia, or desert zombie would stir in Sahara, and to prevent for more zombies to be created would mean allow a shitload of mexicans into the USA, or a shitload of North African people into Europe? In the show Jon Snow got killed for it, in our world I don't think it would go any better and if the US president (not the current one surely  :lol ) would say that millions of mexicans should be allowed into the US least they all become zombies, you can be sure someone would try to bomb the White House the next day.

To be more realistic, there could be shown on TV the most gigantic iceberg ever getting detached from the North Pole, and still not all people would get that it means that many coastal towns will be flooded by the rising seas. Again - I agree with you that at least people in the North should, by now get it. But I can roll with the "no, they still don't get it".

The weirdness probably comes from a very underwhelming scene with Bran, when he tells the MOST DEVASTING NEWS EVER IN THE LAST 8000 YEARS OF WESTEROS, namely "The Wall has fallen thanks to a goddamn undead ice dragon", and people are "whopsies". No reaction from Dany who is an unwilling and direct responsable for this, no "OMFG" from Jon, everyone just rolls with it like a mild inconvenience and then next scene they're riding dragons and flirting or whatever.

I mean, when a weird Bran tells you that you either don't believe him, or ask him how he knows, and then he tells you that when you were 10 you pissed in your sister's bed out of spite and realize "oh shit, he really sees all", and then you should go in ULTRA PANICK MODE. Weird that it hasn't happened.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6298 on: April 19, 2019, 11:44:59 AM »
^ makes me think of people who don't leave their houses when there's a hurricane evacuation and then get stranded.

However, the show has gone really far out of their way by doing the whole excursion to get a white to prove to cersei, I feel like that should mean any northern lord should be understanding at this point IMO.  They made it clear last season just how important this is and to now all of the sudden have a northern lord defy Jon is a bit ridiculous.  Like they don't see the dragons and how important it is to be aligned with Dany right now is absurd given how the show itself portrayed how dire their situation is. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6299 on: April 19, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »
Dany's attitude didn't help either. When she did the equivalent of bombing with napalm the Lannister army, still she said to the survivors "I have not come here to put you in chains, I'm not like Cersei". She goes up North after being told over and over how northerners are stubborn and she acts smug like she's already the Queen and everyone has to obey? damn, just make a joint speech with Jon Snow - he figured out all by himself that she could have stormed King's Landings with dragons and burn it down but she didn't, just tell the same to the northeners, come on! "I could have taken my army to King's Landing. We would be sitting on the burnt ruins of the Red Keep by now. But I came here. Because I am a liberator and not a conqueror. Because I want you all to live, and to do that, we must defeat the Night King".

She got tired of getting people believe in her - everyone in their army follows her not because she's a Targaryen, but because they WANT to follow her. Then she goes in one of the actual seven kingdoms she wants to rule, and she tosses that out of the window for "I'm the queen and that bitch Sansa better stop talk that way to me". D'uh.