Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 628285 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #6125 on: April 06, 2019, 01:03:23 PM »
And which shield it was? House Mormont.

Strong and undestructible just like Lyanna Mormont  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6126 on: April 08, 2019, 07:34:22 AM »
I've seen it a dozen times now, but I've decided to watch an episode of season 7 every night up to the season 8 premiere, with season 7's finale finishing right before S8 episode 1. I hope Bronn gets his castle.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6127 on: April 08, 2019, 09:34:00 AM »
I'm at the last episode of S6, so I'm on  a good pace to slide right into the new season fully prepared.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6128 on: April 08, 2019, 09:37:16 AM »
I started rewatching season 7 yesterday, I will finish thursday.

Damn it was dumb that Dragonstone was completely and utterly unattanded for such a long time.

Anyway, looking forward: Jaimie will go to Winterfell so he will see both Dany and Bran. Looking forward to them meeting in a more intimate settings.

I'd love for Jaimie to be matter-of-factly about the Mad King, with Dany, something along the lines of...

"So... the Kingslayer. The man who murdered my father."
"Yes, your grace. I murdered your father. When, with the war certainly lost, he commanded the pyromancer to burn King's Landing down, I killed both him and the pyromancer to prevent the deaths of half a million people. I'd like to save an even mumber of people this time, if you'll let me fight alongside you".

I wonder what Bran would even tell to him, or if he "cares" about it anymore.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6129 on: April 08, 2019, 10:11:23 AM »
I'm at the last episode of S6, so I'm on  a good pace to slide right into the new season fully prepared.

I'm going to start S7 tonight.....watch a couple here and there throughout the week then watch finale of S7 sunday night prior to S8 premiere
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6130 on: April 09, 2019, 12:15:41 PM »
A co-worker and I were speaking this morning and he brought up something he noticed last night while watching some of Season 1 that HBO was airing. He said that during the scene in Lord Commander Mormont's quarters when the dead Watchman re-animates and attacks Jon.....Lord Mormont comes in to the room holding a lantern. Jon Snow grabbed the lantern....by the globe (which would presumably be very hot) with no reaction to the heat and no physical damage to his hand or skin was every mentioned. Looks like they threw a small easter egg into the show very early on that he was a Targaryn being that fire/heat didn't affect him at all.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6131 on: April 09, 2019, 12:21:10 PM »
Here's some discussion on it. Sounds like he did feel the heat? I don't remember that scene

https://www.reddit.com/r/gottheories/comments/a9ucre/jon_snow_is_not_a_targeryanfire_cannot_hurt_a/

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6132 on: April 09, 2019, 12:37:12 PM »
I remember George RR Martin telling that Dany stepping out of the funeral pyre of Khal Drogo was a "miracle", a once in a lifetime event, but the show seems to have translated that into "she's literally fireproof just like the Flash can go very very fast".

Speaking of making things simpler, I hope they won't trim all the lore of the White Walkers down to the lowest common denominator.

I mean, have you seen the Harry Potter movies? when in movie 6 you discover that Voldemort has made horcruxes, do you have any doubt about how the story will go? of course they will try to find the horcruxes and destroy them one by one.

Same thing with last season: once they find out that the wights are controlled by the White Walker that created them and that if you kill that Walker, you kill all the wights he spawned..... did anyone else got a mental image of the Night King being struck down and all of the wights falling down dead like all the droids at the end of The Phantom Menace? I hope there will be more to the story than that, and that defeating the White Walkers will take something more complex than "just kill the big bad".

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6133 on: April 09, 2019, 12:46:21 PM »
Here's some discussion on it. Sounds like he did feel the heat? I don't remember that scene

https://www.reddit.com/r/gottheories/comments/a9ucre/jon_snow_is_not_a_targeryanfire_cannot_hurt_a/

interesting stuff. I hadn't picked up on the whole hand thing and was thinking it was a cool detail. Looks like it's not a big deal

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6134 on: April 09, 2019, 12:59:03 PM »
A co-worker and I were speaking this morning and he brought up something he noticed last night while watching some of Season 1 that HBO was airing. He said that during the scene in Lord Commander Mormont's quarters when the dead Watchman re-animates and attacks Jon.....Lord Mormont comes in to the room holding a lantern. Jon Snow grabbed the lantern....by the globe (which would presumably be very hot) with no reaction to the heat and no physical damage to his hand or skin was every mentioned. Looks like they threw a small easter egg into the show very early on that he was a Targaryn being that fire/heat didn't affect him at all.
I don't think that was intended as him not being hurt by it. It's from the books that he burns his hand when he grabs the fire to kill the first wight, and in his POV chapters it often refers to his burned hand... of course in the show unless they want to go to the effort of some scar prosthetics or have him constantly mention it in dialogue then it's not going to get noticed much (instead of being mentioned in his own thoughts in the book), but they would have been sure to include him putting his hand on the fire at that scene since it's fairly prominent in the books that he burns it then even if it wasn't going to be a big deal in the show later.

It is also true that the books don't have Targaryens not being affected by fire, but considering the show has gone their own way with Daenerys' fire immunity being a literal superpower you can count on rather than a more mysterious / mystical occurence (one show change I dislike personally) then it could also be possible that the show includes other Targaryens being resistant to fire even though it wasn't in the books.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6135 on: April 10, 2019, 03:28:03 AM »
Almost done with my catchup. Yesterday I've seen The Spoils of War (and the following Eastwatch) and damn, the "loot train attack" as the writers described is one of the most amazing, badass and exciting scenes ever seen on a screen  :metal :metal :metal

I have a hard time picking a favorite battle, and ever major one of the series has its perks - the spectacle of Blackwater, the total shocking and brutal surprise of Hardhome, the muddy melee of the Battle of the Bastards... but The Spoils of War has some amazing scenes (just think of all the stuntmen actually set on fire!) and Drogon arriving and laying utter and fiery waste to everything in his path is absolutely and mindblowingly awesome.

I love the beginning - Bronn notices noises in the distance, and everyone gets ready. They don't see the enemy, fear of the unknown rises up the tension. You hear the indians Dothraki horde arriving, they trample down everyone and things are bad already, and then the hope wrecking shriek of the dragon arrives.... and Drogon appears in the sky and rains down napalm on everyone. Utter terror and hopelessness. Basically perfect episode and one of the high water marks of the entire series.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6136 on: April 10, 2019, 06:38:13 AM »
^^^^that’s exactly where I’m at....watched it last night. That battle scene is awesome. I love the part after Drogon gets shot down when he first torches the huge crossbow then blasts it and it’s wagon to shreds with his tail.  :lol

I still have an issue with the way Jamie and Bronn fell into the lake or river. Two foot off shore its 30 ft deep?  :lol  That bugs the heck out of me. Not to say it’s not possible. Maybe it’s an old quarry where they mined the stone to build Kingslanding....in that case the ‘shores’ would have been very sheer and straight drop. But a few scenes earlier you have guys on fire wading a few steps into the water to douse themselves....then Bronn tackles Jamie and they sink in 30 foot of water.

Anyway...ONLY (4) MORE DAYS!!!!  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6137 on: April 10, 2019, 09:29:50 AM »
Stolen from Reddit, here's an awesome, extremely detailed map of Westeros.

https://i.redd.it/tt0nwtwfbgr21.jpg

And again, Alt Shift X's amazing video on what lies to the far east in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4J16GzUJ28

Bring on the end :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6138 on: April 10, 2019, 09:49:01 AM »
I totally misplaced Oldtown, which I thought it was on the same side of King's Landing.

I knew Dragonstone was close, but not THAT CLOSE to King's Landing. Makes the fact that in the show it sat empty and not reconquered a bit lame.

What I knew is where the Iron Islands are, and that people from there would have to circumnavigate all the way below Dorne to reach King's Landing.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6139 on: April 10, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »

And again, Alt Shift X's amazing video on what lies to the far east in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire:

:tup That map is one of the best ones of Westeros, but for those looking east just wanna note that for the farther east places (everything outside the white dotted lines in Essos) it was the best guess of the fans / map makers at the time based on descriptions in the books as no official maps were released until The World Of Ice And Fire a few years ago. It's not as good for Westeros but here's the biggest map of the known world of ASOIAF that shows some of the crazy places described in the far east (huge image):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2855/33912305140_f09f5c7a78_o.jpg

The Five Forts are the most interesting things out there, basically sound like the eastern equivalent of The Wall with other culture's version of the Long Night legends.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6140 on: April 10, 2019, 10:28:58 AM »

:tup That map is one of the best ones of Westeros, but for those looking east just wanna note that for the farther east places (everything outside the white dotted lines in Essos) it was the best guess of the fans / map makers at the time based on descriptions in the books as no official maps were released until The World Of Ice And Fire a few years ago. It's not as good for Westeros but here's the biggest map of the known world of ASOIAF that shows some of the crazy places described in the far east (huge image):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2855/33912305140_f09f5c7a78_o.jpg

The Five Forts are the most interesting things out there, basically sound like the eastern equivalent of The Wall with other culture's version of the Long Night legends.

AWESOME link, RRR - the Alt Shift X video I linked goes over tons of those places in the East. Fascinating stuff. They're right in that area that's fascinating because there's so little info to go on, but learning more might ruin the mystique of places like Asshai. Although I do hope Melisandre gets one last chance to perform some crazy magic before she (hopefully) dies...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6141 on: April 11, 2019, 07:15:09 AM »
We're mere days away from Season 8 premiere and we still don't even know the title of the first episodes. Any guesses on what the titles could be?

I would be very surprised if the last episode isn't called "A Dream of Spring", with "Ice and Fire", if not "A Song of Ice and Fire", as an alternative.

Maybe the first episode will be called Winter is Here. Other possible titles for the other episodes could be The Battle for the Dawn (the one at Winterfell) or The Prince that was Promised. I don't think the White Walkers ever got to name an episode, mh? Army of the Dead sounds like a Powerwolf song but it could also be a cool title.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #6142 on: April 11, 2019, 11:00:25 AM »
Finished my run through yesterday, my body is ready...

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6143 on: April 11, 2019, 03:14:55 PM »
I just finished my rewatch right now, a season every other week, starting from January  :metal

All things considered Season 7 is great, a pity that the size of the show couldn't allow for the usual run of 10 episodes, but I don't feel it was too rushed all things considered. Or better: there was no "wow, everything is happening so fast!" feeling, but the road to the bullet points they obviously wanted to hit could have been better.

As I previously said The Spoils of War was all kinds of awesome, but Beyond the Wall is the worst episode, so packed with Hollywood cliches.... it takes 5 minutes to read around on YouTube comments or Reddit to find way, way better suggestions on minor tweakings to do with the episode. Also, Littlefinger's demise was not earned, it was all built around the shock of the "how do you answer to these charges..... Lord Baelish?" - all they needed to do was a single scene in which Sansa was musing to herself and then went to find Bran telling him "I need to talk with you". They could have made it ambigous to make it look like she wanted to find out more about Arya, but we'd know that she realized she needed to look into Littlefinger. Also, a single line during the final confrontation of "Why do you trust Bran? he's making shit up!" "No, he's the Three Eyed Raven", with him telling something about  Lord Yohn Royce to prove to everyone in the room that yes, he's not making shit up, would have made the situation even clearer.

Still, it's only true what I read on a comment on Reddit - that it's far easier to find the flaws in something already done, rather than do it yourself from scratch. I hope Season 8 will not have these issues, with basic reason sacrificed in name of plots and shocks (please, please, PLEASE for the love of the Seven, let it no more be any battle with a surprise arrival at the right moment!!!), and that it will go down in history as a fitting and majestic end to a monumental series  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6144 on: April 11, 2019, 03:30:43 PM »
Beyond the Wall is my favorite episode of season 7... the time thing is a bit off but otherwise I freaking love it and I've watched it several times more than the others.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6145 on: April 11, 2019, 04:28:31 PM »
AWESOME link, RRR - the Alt Shift X video I linked goes over tons of those places in the East. Fascinating stuff. They're right in that area that's fascinating because there's so little info to go on, but learning more might ruin the mystique of places like Asshai. Although I do hope Melisandre gets one last chance to perform some crazy magic before she (hopefully) dies...
Yeah the info about the far east and some of the other mysterious bits and pieces around the place (the origins of the Hightower at Oldtown for example) were the most interesting about The World Of Ice And Fire, but they're precisely interesting because they have that mystique about them and the line between fact and legend is blurred even in the books. I definitely love any bits and pieces we get, but I'm definitely happier not just getting a load of details about these things given straight to spoil that.

Of course the White Walkers themselves were also among those things which we had only tantalising glimpses into from the books, and with the show reaching the point where they had to come into the open a bit to be confronted directly they were obviously going to lose a bit of that aura (as any mysterious threat does in any story once we know more about it). All in all though I think the show has done a good job of the transition from nebulous to concrete threat, giving the White Walkers some presence without showing way too much. That's one of the reasons I think Hardhome is still the episode I keep coming back to as the greatest in the show - it brought the White Walkers into the game for real, it gave that sense of "holy shit, we're finally seeing these things" but did it in a way that maintained some of the mystery and dread about them.

For episode titles, another possibility is "A Time For Wolves", which was GRRM's initial intended title for the last book of the series before he changed to the (projected) The Winds Of Winter and A Dream Of Spring. A Time For Wolves would be good nod to that and is just a cool title, if there is an episode that it fits.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #6146 on: April 11, 2019, 05:02:17 PM »
Beyond the Wall is my favorite episode of season 7... the time thing is a bit off but otherwise I freaking love it and I've watched it several times more than the others.

Totally agreed, if we discount the 1000mph raven and the massive chains the undead army just happened to have, it's a brilliant episode. Little liberties like these really don't bother me as much as some others..I mean we're watching a show with undead, dragons, magic, etc and they're focused on where the undead got chains? Seems like they're looking for something to bash to me.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6147 on: April 11, 2019, 05:05:55 PM »
Despite its flaws (some of which I complained about recently), I still favour Beyond The Wall from season 7. The interactions between the characters north of the Wall are great, the intensity of some of the action (e.g. Tormund getting dragged into the water), and some of the just frankly quite cool things we get finally get to see on screen - wight bear, dragons facing the undead, and of course a dragon brought down. Plus just getting to hear more of Beric Dondarrion's voice. Also, maybe this is partly more about the amount of time I've spent reading and thinking about this series and world than just the episode itself, but to me there was just a huge sense of significance to the action. It somehow had a sort of "mythic" quality to it, and as a diehard I enjoyed the parallels to the legend of the last hero and his companions going north of the Wall in the Long Night from the lore of ASOIAF.  Most of it was in the visuals and in the character's dialogue within the episode. As far as the more intricate plotting and justifying this mission within the storyline and the how things happen the way they do it was definitely lacking which is what holds it back from the top tier episodes of the series that don't have such glaring issues, but I value the highs as much as the lows so I've got to respect Beyond The Wall for that.

The Spoils Of War is a great episode, the dragon fire against the army was really impressive, the way it was done from the point of view of those under attack with the buildup and the ensuing chaos and horror, and Jaime's charge through the burning field towards the dragon was a great moment (again it seemed somehow "mythic" being a very fantastical moment). All really well executed. But, having said that, I remember my initial reaction was "Woah, that was pretty cool!" but then when I looked online I was actually kind of surprised that so many people were putting it among the other big battle sequences. I just didn't really think of it that way when I first saw it for whatever reason although it obviously has a tonne of action and I can see logically it was actually one of the biggest battles filmed for the show. I would easily rate Hardhome, Battle Of The Bastards and even The Watchers On The Wall ahead of it as far as big battle episodes. In terms of action The Spoils Of War is obviously better than Blackwater which doesn't really come close in terms of the stuntwork and effects, but the real gold in Blackwater is the scenes behind the gate anyway.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #6148 on: April 11, 2019, 06:03:16 PM »
All I know is, I’ve never been more ready for anything than this season!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6149 on: April 11, 2019, 08:15:34 PM »
Playoff Hockey game on Sunday and a busy Friday and Saturday has ‘forced’ me to watch the last two Episodes of S7 tonight.....ruining my plan to lead right into S8. Gonna sit down and do that now.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6150 on: April 11, 2019, 10:52:23 PM »
Primed and Ready!  :metal    Cannot wait!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6151 on: April 12, 2019, 01:33:46 AM »
About Beyond the Wall... I really couldn't care less about chains, but there were too many cliches and predictable points all together.

While I agree that the dialogue between the characters was great and the visual sequences were awesome (battle in the ice with dragons, what more do you want?), there were too many contrivances:

- Some no-names tagging along just to die (WhatsTheirNames of House Redshirt)
- No one REALLY important dying (c'mon, Thoros was expandable)
- The gang being trapped on a rock making it impossible to forget that they were literally stranded in a place in the open, and not, say, in a castle where they could withstand a siege for more days
- Their entire rescue plan counting of Gendry running back alone, the dude that never saw snow before and didn't know the territory
- Dany of course flying all of Westeros in a couple of hours
- Dany arriving AT THE LAST POSSIBLE SECOND, who would have imagined
- Jon staying behind to fight the wights for no damn reason
- Jon almost dying because hey, Aragorn falling off a cliff in The Two Towers was so cool
- Jon's not dead, who would have imagined
- Benjen-ex-machina rescuing him and then dying immediately after

This is not to prove you all wrong or anything. If you like the episode I'm happy for you and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just that for such a massive and series defining episode, the cliche of the arrival at the last second was so predictable that it ruined the moment. When in the middle of frozen nowhere three dragons arrive, you should be "F'K YEAH!!!!", not "d'uh, of course they arrive in this precise moment". I dare anyone who has seen exactly more than 3 movies in his life to admit they were totally surprised to see the dragons arrive in the exact moment they did, with the gang about to get overwhelmed with sad music playing.

About The Spoils of War: it's a feast for the eyes and a triumph of special effects, and we finally see a dragon getting loose on the relatively bad guys (come on, nobody cared for anyone in the Lannister army that wasn't named Jaimie or Bronn). What makes it so great it's the contrast between the disciplined army and the brutal savagery and violence thrown at them.

Imagine an actual medieval army marching in the open. They get suddenly attacked by actual native americans, riding on their horses and shooting arrows. And behind them, appears a fighting jet that bombs them with napalm. That's the shock the Lannister army felt in seeing the Dothraki army and of course the dragon, which was brilliantly translated on screen.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6152 on: April 12, 2019, 06:09:09 AM »
Beyond the Wall is awesome for one reason only - it's the first time that nearly every single badass warrior got together.  Jon, Jorah, Thoros, Beric, The Hound, Gendry, Tormund. 

That alone makes it a fun episode to watch.  I don't care about any of the critiques or complaints about it.  Just seeing this group together was exciting.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6153 on: April 12, 2019, 06:36:44 AM »
Honestly the only real gripe I have about Beyond the Wall is the fact that the Night King threw that spear at a dragon that was flying.....and was three times as far away as Drogon and Dany were who were just sitting literally right in front of him. Seems like an odd choice of targets.

Still wondering what the deal is with the changing color of the Wolf eyes on the pommel of Longclaw as well?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6154 on: April 12, 2019, 06:41:16 AM »
Drogon was on a rescue mission, the other dragon (can't remember his name) was actually wreaking havoc.

If you have two enemy helicopters and one is on the ground embarking soldiers, and the other one is in the air shooting targets, you aim the bazooka at the helicopter that's actually bombing you.

Also, the flying dragon had his weak spot (the neck or where it was hit) visible, Drogon on the ground and with people around was more protected in that way.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6155 on: April 12, 2019, 06:45:04 AM »
Drogon was on a rescue mission, the other dragon (can't remember his name) was actually wreaking havoc.

If you have two enemy helicopters and one is on the ground embarking soldiers, and the other one is in the air shooting targets, you aim the bazooka at the helicopter that's actually bombing you.

Good point....didn’t look at it like that. I was thinking....there sits the largest and most powerful of the three dragons AND it’s ‘master’. But I guess the Night King doesn’t really give a  :censored as he’s probably pretty confident that no one can stop him anyway.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6156 on: April 12, 2019, 06:48:06 AM »

Good point....didn’t look at it like that. I was thinking....there sits the largest and most powerful of the three dragons AND it’s ‘master’. But I guess the Night King doesn’t really give a  :censored as he’s probably pretty confident that no one can stop him anyway.

Him sitting on the ground might have been a factor in that decision as well. The dragon he hit died because it slammed into the ice after a free fall, not because it got hit with the spear. Had he hit Drogon instead, the largest dragon, it most likely wouldn't have been a lethal blow and the night king probably would have just gotten roasted like a marshmallow by a really pissed off dragon.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6157 on: April 12, 2019, 06:55:24 AM »
Honestly the only real gripe I have about Beyond the Wall is the fact that the Night King threw that spear at a dragon that was flying.....and was three times as far away as Drogon and Dany were who were just sitting literally right in front of him. Seems like an odd choice of targets.

Still wondering what the deal is with the changing color of the Wolf eyes on the pommel of Longclaw as well?
Jon's hand coming out of the water and onto the ice, the eyes are kind of partially see through crystal so when he comes out it goes from white to black because of the background behind the sword. If it was intended (or even if not) it's a quite cool effect to make it look like the eyes open when Jon Snow emerges from the water.

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/giphy-1-3.gif

Hitting Drogon would have made sense, it's obvious that it's really just a bit of plot contrivance that he went for one of the other ones first. Luckily him targetting Viserion didn't take me out of the moment, and  the idea of going for the one that was still blasting wights makes enough sense for me after the fact. Also even though Viserion was higher up and a moving target, the Night King might technically have had a clearer shot at its heart because it was facing him and there wasn't other stuff in the way. Distance and moving targets ain't a problem for the Night King obviously (proximity to main cast seems to cause some distortion to make him inaccurate though :p).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6158 on: April 12, 2019, 07:03:20 AM »

Him sitting on the ground might have been a factor in that decision as well. The dragon he hit died because it slammed into the ice after a free fall, not because it got hit with the spear. Had he hit Drogon instead, the largest dragon, it most likely wouldn't have been a lethal blow and the night king probably would have just gotten roasted like a marshmallow by a really pissed off dragon.

The way there was a burst of flame then black smoke trailing from the spear wound I was under the impression there was some ‘magic’ involved there as well? Maybe not?

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #6159 on: April 12, 2019, 07:17:58 AM »

The way there was a burst of flame then black smoke trailing from the spear wound I was under the impression there was some ‘magic’ involved there as well? Maybe not?
I agree, the fact it's a spear of ice (and we know White Walker's weapons have some magic about them, such as have been shown shattering regular weapons) was a factor in it killing a dragon with a single blow rather than just any spear. The way the fires go out and the amount of blood I think he hit it in the heart or some vital spot of the dragon and that the ice spear striking it there was "fire quenching" in a way.

The moment the Night King kills the dragon can be seen here: https://youtu.be/jstUSsF3We4?t=409