Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 633265 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5950 on: January 06, 2019, 12:57:17 PM »
This re-watch I'm on has been incredible. I'm enjoying it more this second time through these episodes than I did the first time. Picking up to subtleties and nuances that were there but went unnoticed by me the first time.

I have Ep. 9 and 10 of season three tonight to watch. The 'Red Wedding'....can't wait to see it again. And, watching the season through this second time there are plenty of clues there to elude to the horror that is the Red Wedding. The manner in which Bolton was acting....Tywin busily sending out scroll after scroll to 'unknown' recipients.....the Faith that was lost in Robb when he wed the Nurse and became 'distracted' and the fact that Catlyn let Jaime go. It's all there written on the wall that something 'big' was coming....a mutiny of sorts but I never suspected it the first viewing because it's so subtle.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5951 on: January 06, 2019, 12:59:37 PM »
So season 8 comes out in April eh?

Hmm. Yea, might have to do a re-watch. It'll be interesting seeing the show change from a complex political thriller almost to basically a big action show about dragons.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5952 on: January 06, 2019, 01:12:57 PM »
So season 8 comes out in April eh?

Hmm. Yea, might have to do a re-watch. It'll be interesting seeing the show change from a complex political thriller almost to basically a big action show about dragons.

The big difference I see is the content of the dialogue between characters from the early season to the past couple.....especially season 7. I’m guessing that has to do with lack of source material but whatever it is......these exchanges between characters early on are clever and pointed and not washed down.

And you’re right about the political thriller tag. I had forgotten that as well.....how enthralling this battle for power was early on in the show.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5953 on: January 06, 2019, 01:29:40 PM »
I still enjoy the show and everything, but I vastly prefer the earlier seasons.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5954 on: January 06, 2019, 01:57:25 PM »
Season 1 was also, in a way, a mystery murder drama... only that the investigator lost his head before justice could come for the killers (oh, with the actual killers not revealed for some other more seasons).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5955 on: January 07, 2019, 09:05:01 AM »
The show certainly changed over time and a lot of that does have to do without being able to pull scenes and dialogue from the books, but also because they have to get to a resolution and they had to up the pace.  I think around season 4 or something may have been the best of both worlds where the pacing was quick but the dialogue and scenes still had their time to develop.  Obviously the first season is amazing as well, I really enjoy the entire series so far even with the changes they've had to make along the way.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5956 on: January 07, 2019, 09:08:53 AM »
I agree, Season 4 was fantastic through and through. I still remember by heart big chunkes of dialogue, such as Tyrion's wonderful rant at his trial or his discussion with Oberyn in the cell.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5957 on: January 07, 2019, 09:22:37 AM »
I agree, Season 4 was fantastic through and through. I still remember by heart big chunkes of dialogue, such as Tyrion's wonderful rant at his trial or his discussion with Oberyn in the cell.

Just finished Season 3 last night and looking forward to Season 4.

It was cool to watch the Red Wedding again after all that time. Still just as shocking but as I mentioned earlier the show did a good job of hinting that 'something' was afoot for most of the season.

I had forgotten how many times Tyrion had threatened Geoffry's life in front of everyone......even though he was 'joking' and trying to be smug......which gave/gives great credence to him being responsible for the poisoning of Geoffry.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5958 on: January 07, 2019, 12:11:39 PM »
Yeah season 4 remains the best and season 5 the worst.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5959 on: January 07, 2019, 12:13:44 PM »

Yea season 5 is the worst.  But when I re-watched last year I enjoyed it much more as it really is more of the build up of the beginning of the end and in doing so, introduced new characters and story and since some of this was pulling from the worst of GRRM's material as well as being the beginning of figuring things out themselves, they didn't have it easy to make that season and it shows.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5960 on: January 07, 2019, 12:31:31 PM »
This re-watch I'm on has been incredible. I'm enjoying it more this second time through these episodes than I did the first time. Picking up to subtleties and nuances that were there but went unnoticed by me the first time.

I have Ep. 9 and 10 of season three tonight to watch. The 'Red Wedding'....can't wait to see it again. And, watching the season through this second time there are plenty of clues there to elude to the horror that is the Red Wedding. The manner in which Bolton was acting....Tywin busily sending out scroll after scroll to 'unknown' recipients.....the Faith that was lost in Robb when he wed the Nurse and became 'distracted' and the fact that Catlyn let Jaime go. It's all there written on the wall that something 'big' was coming....a mutiny of sorts but I never suspected it the first viewing because it's so subtle.

I can't wait to re-watch but I'm waiting until after watching the final season so I can catch as many nuances as possible.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5961 on: January 09, 2019, 05:59:19 AM »

4>3>6>1>7>2>5

Something like that.  Season 5 is still generally really good TV (the last 3 episodes are fantastic).  Dorne stuff and Arya's training aren't the show at it's best though.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:07:41 AM by soupytwist »

Offline krands85

« Reply #5962 on: January 09, 2019, 06:37:13 AM »
I've no idea how I'd rank the seasons, or even which one is my favourite, but season 5 is definitely the weakest. I was so disappointed with it and was beginning to worry about the quality of future seasons, but they bounced back nicely I think.

EDIT:
Hardhome was sensational though.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5963 on: January 09, 2019, 06:49:53 AM »
Yeah, Hardhome was awesome also because it wasn't expected. It seemed just random pacing, let's check up with Jon Snow in the north... he's on a diplomatic mission, I guess they'll talk it over and decide something and then we move on uh wait what's happening oh shit oh shit this is not cool OMFG WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING PLZ GOD MAKE IT STOP I HAVE PTSD FFS!!!

:lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5964 on: January 09, 2019, 08:38:43 AM »
Yea the last scene when Jon gets eye contact with the Night King is epic.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5965 on: January 09, 2019, 08:40:06 AM »

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5966 on: January 10, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »
Yeah, Hardhome was awesome also because it wasn't expected. It seemed just random pacing, let's check up with Jon Snow in the north... he's on a diplomatic mission, I guess they'll talk it over and decide something and then we move on uh wait what's happening oh shit oh shit this is not cool OMFG WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING PLZ GOD MAKE IT STOP I HAVE PTSD FFS!!!

:lol

This exactly.....
I thought we were checking with Jon and moving on.....what an incredible ending to an episode. Season 5 may be the worst as a whole but it sure as hell had a high peak.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5967 on: January 10, 2019, 02:23:39 PM »
I think Season 5 also comes off better on a rewatch with season 6 after, season 5 just starts so slow and introduces new characters and it's really not that good, but comes off so much better when you start to see the pay offs of those storylines that were building in those early episodes. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5968 on: January 10, 2019, 02:34:10 PM »
I think something also working against season 5 was the finale. We all knew that Jon was coming back. We all knew that Arya wasn't going to stay blind. And for the love of the Lord of light, if you're going to kill off Stannis Baratheon, do it on camera!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #5969 on: January 11, 2019, 07:15:27 AM »
I just finished rewatching Season 3. I completely forgot how brutal the Red Wedding is. Absolutely demoralizing and terrifying. Can't wait to start Season 4 soon.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5970 on: January 11, 2019, 08:51:25 AM »
I just finished rewatching Season 3. I completely forgot how brutal the Red Wedding is. Absolutely demoralizing and terrifying. Can't wait to start Season 4 soon.

I thought the same thing. The anticipation once Catlyn figured out what was going on only moments before....that was tough.

I'm waiting to start on Season 4 until after I watch second season of Punisher which comes out next friday. Gonna roll through 4, 5, 6 and 7 after that leading into 8. Shoot....I did the first three seasons in three weeks once I started again.  :lol  I wasn't prepared to get so 'hooked' again and just railed through them.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5971 on: January 11, 2019, 11:47:46 AM »
The Red Wedding episode aired several months before I started watching GOT. I heard so much about that scene no matter what I was doing in life. It was on the radio, on forums, on social media... everywhere.   

When watching that scene for the first time, it never occurred to me that that was what I was watching. I was on pins and needles the whole time and then a blood bath happened. Once the dust settled, I remember thinking to myself "OHHHHH. I get it now". Then I felt empty inside for the rest of the night.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5972 on: January 11, 2019, 12:01:48 PM »
I'm waiting to start on Season 4 until after I watch second season of Punisher which comes out next friday.

I lied. At home today due to a snow storm that's just starting to roll through StL and figured 'what the heck'....I can jam out season 4 before next Friday. Just watched the first two episodes.

I remember Geoffrey being a dick to Tyrion at the Royal Wedding but man....not THAT big of a dick. Geesh... It was great to finally see him die  :lol They did such a great job of capturing all the essence of just how cruel and ignorant and what an 'animal' of a person Geoffrey was leading up to him being poisoned. It took you right up to the point of thinking you couldn't hate him any more than that then.....the opposite of the Red Wedding you get this huge satisfying death.

Oh and....I had also forgotten just how awesome the Hound is. Such a great character. Going to enjoy this Arya/Hound arc again  :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5973 on: January 12, 2019, 09:20:22 AM »
We got about 7-8” of snow yesterday so.....i ended up jamming through all of seeaon 4 yesterday.  :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #5974 on: January 14, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »
I started Season 4 over the weekend. Trying to limit myself to one episode per day, just to stretch things out a little. The wifey, who is going through GOT for the first time, enjoyed the Joffrey death episode. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5975 on: January 14, 2019, 09:09:34 AM »
April 14th is coming

Offline Adami

« Reply #5976 on: January 14, 2019, 11:53:20 AM »
Interesting new teaser/whatever. It's basically if the Starks were in the movie The Day After Tomorrow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #5977 on: January 14, 2019, 12:35:11 PM »
We got about 7-8” of snow yesterday so.....i ended up jamming through all of seeaon 4 yesterday.  :lol

Winter is here.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5978 on: January 14, 2019, 12:39:35 PM »
Interesting new teaser/whatever. It's basically if the Starks were in the movie The Day After Tomorrow.

And in true internet form there is already a 'theory' based off of that teaser (which appears to be just promotional footage shot...not a 'real part of any episode) that both Arya and Sansa's stone likenesses are of them 'younger' which means they die......and Jon's looks much older so he must live?

Offline Adami

« Reply #5979 on: January 14, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »

And in true internet form there is already a 'theory' based off of that teaser (which appears to be just promotional footage shot...not a 'real part of any episode) that both Arya and Sansa's stone likenesses are of them 'younger' which means they die......and Jon's looks much older so he must live?

Well that's just silly. It's obvious that they're in the world of Day After Tomorrow and Jake Gyllenall will save them shortly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5980 on: January 14, 2019, 01:36:22 PM »

Well that's just silly. It's obvious that they're in the world of Day After Tomorrow and Jake Gyllenall will save them shortly.

dude....spoiler alert!!!  C'mon!!!!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5981 on: January 15, 2019, 06:16:21 AM »
Do you guys think both Stark girls are going to make it out of the series alive?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5982 on: January 15, 2019, 06:31:57 AM »
Do you guys think both Stark girls are going to make it out of the series alive?

The nature of the show would make you think one or both will die. But, I could totally understand a scenario where Sansa ends up on the Iron Throne just due to all the crap she’s endured. She’s been freaking hammered in this show.....it’d be poetic justice for her to end up ruler.

Arya’s story kind of feels over already. Outside of her killing the hound and/or Cersei......her list is near complete.....she’s avenged Rob and her mom.....and played a hand in getting Little Finger killed. There’s not a whole lot left for her so I could see her being killed by a White Walker.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5983 on: January 15, 2019, 06:39:15 AM »
Sophie Turner actually hopes that Sansa dies, because "what's the point of being in Game of Thrones if you don't get a kickass death scene?"... I hope she's wrong however  :lol

I like the idea of Sansa coming out unscathed after all she's been through. Her virginity also lasted incredibly long - she's going to be married to Joffrey but no, wedding canceled, she's married to Tyrion but he doesn't want to do it against her will, and so on... a pity she had to lose it with Ramsay, and in such a humiliating way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5984 on: January 15, 2019, 06:46:11 AM »
Yea, I could see both dying easily, or one surviving.  I feel it's more unlikely that neither of them die. Both of their story's have seemed to run to the end, but then again that's pretty much the same for everyone as we approach the end.